Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

And the OP Peabody-Martini created Stupid Luck & Happenstance and saw it was good.
And Jacob Schmidt begat cryptography and the modern German Navy.
And Peter Lange begat the Modern German State.
And Manfred von Wolvogle begat modern armored tactics.
And Johan Schultz begat undercover ops and many bad-ass offspring.
And Kat begat ***redacted*** Scaredy Kats, ***redacted*** Royal Guards, ***redacted***
Some corrections/additions include:
On the first day, Emil Holz changed the course of the war at Verdun.
For a bullet failing to kill him, Augustus Lang begat the modern German state.
Manfred von Wovogle begat modern armoured tactics, while Walter Horst kicked the infantry’s arse up hill & down dale to make sure they could keep up with the tanks.

Last edited:

ferdi254

Banned
So somebody made that economic and environmental folly (and big and non excusable folly) that us the RMD channel real ITTL. Must have been someone with much more ego than brains.

For making cruises on channels more popular we have not seen any updates on the economy for quite some time. But yachting is very expensive compared to any other type of holiday. A boat has max 7 months to earn its keep and it is a lot of keep. So without the massive improvement in the pay that did happen in the 70s and 80s OTL yachting as an idea is romantic but would not actually work economically.

altamiro

Banned
So somebody made that economic and environmental folly (and big and non excusable folly) that us the RMD channel real ITTL. Must have been someone with much more ego than brains.

For making cruises on channels more popular we have not seen any updates on the economy for quite some time. But yachting is very expensive compared to any other type of holiday. A boat has max 7 months to earn its keep and it is a lot of keep. So without the massive improvement in the pay that did happen in the 70s and 80s OTL yachting as an idea is romantic but would not actually work economically.
Narrowboat holidays were common in UK even as far back as 1950s. You don't need to own one, just rent it for the week or two that you want to relax.

Part 123, Chapter 2079
Chapter Two Thousand Seventy-Nine

2nd August 1971

Near Neumarkt in der Oberpfalz, Rural Bavaria

Zella was recording as Kiki turned the crank to open the flow of water into the lock, the clicking of the rachet on the shaft that went down to the paddles filling her ears. On the other side of the gates, Gregor was turning an identical crank. The Meta bobbed in the water as she slowly rose to the next level of the canal. On the canal behind them was a small flotilla of a dozen other small boats and barges that had shallow enough draft to make it up this canal. Word had spread of Kiki’s plans and many people who were already on holiday had decided to join her on this little adventure. The craft were mostly of modern fiberglass construction, inexpensive, intended for lakes and rivers. The people were largely Middle Class, professionals from the cities looking to do something out of the ordinary. There was a British couple who had the sort of narrow canal boat seldom seen on this side of the English Channel. Kiki had listened to them tell the story of their crossing to Belgium and was convinced that they were a bit insane.

In most ways, the old Ludwig Canal was unchanged from the last attempt at modernization in the 20’s, decades earlier. The locks were completely manual and the canal itself was in desperate need of dredging. The Ludwig Canal had long been an example of forever being on the back foot, reacting when a bit of foresight would have saved a great deal of time and expense. Built between 1836 and 1846 to connect the Main and Danube Basin crossing the divide of the watershed.

The trouble had started almost from the day that the canal had opened. Technical problems like a shortage of water for the summit level had still needed to be ironed out but the most glaring problem had been the narrow width of the canal itself. That had created a major bottleneck for inland shipping. Competition from the railroads had almost doomed the project, but the Wittelsbach family who owned the canal had not been about to admit defeat so easily with a project their name was bound up in. They had attempted to widen the canal and improve the locks in the 20’s. That was the reason why the Meta had once plied these same waters when she had hauled freight prior to the conversion to her present use.

The problem was that by the late 40’s, the same problems had come up again as unpowered barges in convoys pushed by tugs had grown in popularity. That was traffic the canal could not be modified to accommodate. So, the Kingdom of Bavaria had been forced to accept a plan that had long been in the works at the Federal Level to build a new canal that was straighter and far more advanced in construction. As a sop, the new canal had been named for King Albrecht of Bavaria, but Officials from Berlin had remained firmly in control of the project in the years since with the Albrecht Canal having opened in 1960.

While the northern half of the Ludwig Canal had been coopted by the Albrecht Canal, the southern half had basically been abandoned as the shipping traffic had ceased. That was why Kiki felt that it was the perfect opportunity for her to show that it could be put to a different use. Not everything had to move at the constant speed demanded by modern life, there were times when slowing down was welcome indeed.

After climbing back aboard the Meta, Kiki explained all of that as Motor Barge got underway with Gregor at the helm. Zella and Kiki were sitting on the back deck under the canopy that had been put up to offer shelter from the sun and rain. It was the latter that Kiki and Zella were sheltering from this afternoon and light rain was drumming on the rubberized canvas. The others had taken advantage of Zella’s car to go on ahead to Neumarkt. After several days aboard the Meta, it seemed that they had wanted to go somewhere where they wouldn’t be getting in each other’s way constantly.

It was a warm afternoon, with the rain adding a great deal of humidity. After a while, houses started appearing on the banks above the towpath as they neared Neumarkt. Zella had placed her video camera on its tripod so that it could record what was happening at a moment’s notice. Earlier, Kiki had allowed Zella to get a few shots with her and Nina, something that her friend had thanked her profusely for. It seemed that Zella’s boss’ boss at ARD had told her that she could practically name her price if she could get a few shots of Kiki and Nina together in a casual setting. Zella intended to milk that for all it was worth.

“You are just lucky that she is being good this afternoon” Kiki said as she placed Nina back into the crib that Kiki had moved up from the cabin. While she wasn’t interested in sleeping, watching the countryside rolling past and the gentle rocking of the Meta were than enough to keep her occupied though. It was a welcome benefit of being on the Meta that Kiki had discovered.

“It’s because she knows her Auntie Zella is here” Zella said leaning towards Nina. “You would never misbehave when I’m around, right Nina?”

Nina just stared at Zella with the mesmerized look of babies not knowing or understanding what they were looking at. Kiki just shook her head. At any second something might happen, and Nina would be howling in displeasure. Zella was unknowingly playing with fire.

Minutes later, they entered Neumarkt proper and came to the old quay where the barges delivering goods to the city used to tie up. To Kiki’s astonishment there was a huge crowd. What looked like the City Mayor and Council, plus everyone with an excuse to be there was, and with a brass band as well. There were flags everywhere as there tended to be whenever her father or oldest brother went anywhere. Ben and Bram were standing there looking bemused. When Ben saw that Kiki was looking at him, he gave her a look that seemed to ask, “What did you expect?”

Last edited:
Kiki has probably just filled her quota of public appearances that she "has to make" a year on this trip, she did her duty to her brother Freddy the Emperor, by telling the people along the way that the Kaiser, his family, and the Empire has not forgotten them and they are in their hearts..
Kiki has also done her duty to support the commerce, industry, and tourism of Germany by making the exploring of the waterways of Germany and fun family thing to do.
Zella once again has a great story to herself and that will make bosses happy maybe they will send her to the top story that is going on right now in Argentina.
Sometime in the Nineties a quirky small independent movie will be made about a German town on the waterfront that gets a surprise visit by Kiki.

Part 123, Chapter 2080
Chapter Two Thousand Eighty

3rd August 1971

Rio Gallegos, Argentina

No sooner than the 7th Recon finally received orders to move out then a winter storm had shut everything down for a few days. In the meantime, they needed many of the things that had already been loaded into the Iltis utility vehicles and that caused a great deal of trouble. Especially when Christian ran afoul of a nail in a crate of batteries that Moser thought that they needed. He ended up with a hole in the sleeve of his coat and the shirt underneath which was annoying. There was also a gash on Christian’s arm that he had bandaged, but Manfred had insisted that he go to Medical Services to get it looked at and had even pulled rank to get him to go.

Hours later, Christian was still fuming about how Manfred had done that. Didn’t he realize that there was a bloody war on? And Christian would get green tagged the instant he walked in and told to wait while they sorted the cases that actually needed medical attention. Which was exactly what happened.

“Unterfeldwebel Wiese?” A bored looking Nurse called out, “We’re ready to see to that arm.”

Following her into a different room in the hospital, Christian saw a woman who was around his age wearing surgical scrubs. “So, you are Christian?” She asked with a smile on her face. “I’ve heard a lot about you.” She had a pleasant face, and she looked a bit familiar, but Christian couldn’t place where he might know her from.

“Is that so?” Christian asked in reply.

“Yes” She replied, “Now hang your coat up and roll up your shirt sleeve. And I suppose I’ll need to see your tag. Any nasty allergies I ought to know about?”

With that, Christian handed her the triage tag that had the pertinent information on it. “Its superficial” Christian said, “I only came in because Oberleutnant von Mischner ordered me to.”

Something crossed her face when he mentioned Manfred as she grabbed a pair of scissors off the tray.

“The tag says it is a bit more than superficial” She replied, “Now let’s take a look.”

As soon as she finished cutting the bandage away, the gash started bleeding again. If anything, it looked messier than it had before.

“That is going to need stitches and I would recommend a tetanus shot as well” She said, “Before that, I am going to need to need to clean it. Are you going to have too much trouble with a bit of pain? We can arrange a local…”

“Just get it done” Christian replied, “I’ve already wasted enough time in here today.”

She gave him a look. “My usual patients don’t complain about time spent in my care” The woman said.

“Good for them” Christian replied.

It hurt just as much as she said it would, but Christian meant what he said about wasting time. He felt the jab of the needle as the local anastatic was injected into his arm to numb it so that the wound could be cleaned and stitched up with causing him too much discomfort. When he got back to his Squad, he figured that they would be up to their usual deviltry, making jokes about how his numbed arm could be used. He wouldn’t be interested in listening to that though.

Even with the local it still hurt a lot and Christian was very aware of the tugging as the stitches were done. The tetanus shot at the end was anticlimactic.

As the woman was putting a fresh bandage on Christian’s arm, she said. “Normally, this is where I would pat you on the head and tell you that you were good boy before giving you a treat.”

Christian gave her a startled look. “What kind of Doctor are you?”

She started laughing. “I’m not a doctor of any kind” She said, “I’m actually a veterinarian.”

“You are telling me that normally your patients are dogs and cats?” Christian asked in disbelief.

“And horses” She replied, “Don’t forget horses.”

She seemed a bit wistful when she mentioned horses. Everyone had favorites and for a second Christian felt a bit of guilt about how many times horse meat had been on the menu over the last few months.

“Yet you did this” Christian said, holding up his arm.

“When the war started the Oberst in charge of this Regiment asked me if I wanted to volunteer, being a civilian and all, no one could order me to do get involved. I was amazed when they told me I would be taking care of minor cases and it really isn’t too much different from what I was doing before.”

Listening to her carry on, Christian wondered what sort of madness must had come over that particular Oberst to resort to this sort of measure. Minor cases? He should have anticipated that something like this would occur.

“Whatever” Christian said, trying to recall if he had seen a wedding ring on her hand before she had put on gloves. “Well, thank you Fraulein…”

“I’m Ina von Mischner” Ina said, “You know, Manny’s sister.”

“Well, shit… Er… That’s well and good” Christian replied. No wonder she must have heard a lot about him. Manfred had probably mentioned him to her dozens of times over the last few years.

“And if you could tell him to stop by for a visit before his outfit takes off, I would be thankful” Ina said. Then she shooed Christian out the door.

“Whatever” Christian said, trying to recall if he had seen a wedding ring on her hand before she had put on gloves. “Well, thank you Fraulein…”

“I’m Ina von Mischner” Ina said, “You know, Manny’s sister.”

“Well, shit… Er… That’s well and good” Christian replied. No wonder she must have heard a lot about him. Manfred had probably mentioned him to her dozens of times over the last few years.

“And if you could tell him to stop by for a visit before his outfit takes off, I would be thankful” Ina said. Then she shooed Christian out the door.

Another ship on the way only to be blocked by an Iceberg.

It is very logical that given the situation that they were in that Ina would have been pressed in to volunteering to help out treating the two legged patients instead of the four legged ones.
As for any potential shipping going on there are certain hazards that has to be successfully navigated before port is reached.
First off while Christian has the respect of his commanding officer Manny still we are talking about Manny's little sister here and that puts a different perspective on things.
Second there is Ina's father and while he seems to be low key when it comes to his family that is a very big mistake to think that because it is always the quiet ones you have to fear.
As for Ina's Aunt Kat she would approve of it because Christian is the nephew of her late teammate who died in the Reichstag bombing and she has been keeping a loose eye on him over the years and knows that he is a good person.

Why do I get the feeling that at some point in this campaign, Dame Suse Rosa von Wovogle-Knispel finds herself in a situation involving an MA Leopard tank needing mechanical work in the field and nek minnit she‘s riding a Panzer into battle when the Chilean army counterattacks? More stupid luck & happenstance? Only P-M knows for certain.

Why did you have to put that image in my head?!

ferdi254

Banned
The shot of Tetanus would have most likely been superfluous. Every German soldier who cannot produce evidence of a Tetanus vaccination which is still valid (10 years) gets a shot latest 4 weeks into service.

The pain in the ass during the next 2 days is not considered a side effect btw.

But it has the advantage that for the next 10 years you are safe from that.

The shot of Tetanus would have most likely been superfluous. Every German soldier who cannot produce evidence of a Tetanus vaccination which is still valid (10 years) gets a shot latest 4 weeks into service.

The pain in the ass during the next 2 days is not considered a side effect btw.

But it has the advantage that for the next 10 years you are safe from that.

Actually, it’s also used prophylactically in situations like combat or prisons. I have a friend from college whose wife was a prison guard and got regularly scratched and bitten by unruly inmates and getting a fresh tetanus shot was SOP.

Just without the head pat, belly rub and the German equivalent of "whosagoodboydoyouwannatreat? Do you? whosagoodboy?"
Actually, visits to my doctor would be a lot more fun if she treated me like that after using an icy cold stethoscope and a tourniquet masquerading as a BP cuff.

Part 123, Chapter 2081
Chapter Two Thousand Eighty-One

9th August 1971

Washington D.C.

“Things like this are why they always seem to be able to one up us no matter what their other hand is doing” Nelson said looking at the television that was playing the video which had been recorded at the CIA’s Berlin Station from television networks there. Just minutes earlier there had been a report on about the advance into Patagonia, where Nelson knew that two German Field Armies were involved in the fighting. That was actually desirable outcome, because defense planners had estimated that pushing through the Andes Mountains would probably come at a higher cost then they could afford to pay. The war would drag on until Chile and Argentina could be forced into talks which was a desirable outcome for the United States. That had immediately segued into a puff piece about Princess Kristina on a boating trip on the Inland Waterways of Germany with her family. “Instead, we have the Finley Family’s adventures on Lake George” Nelson said, and he saw the reaction to the others around the table.

Nelson was referring to an infamous episode on an already controversial television show that seemed to exist for no other reason than to push the boundaries of good taste and what the networks, NBC in this case, would allow. The show revolved around the family Patriarch played by George Carlin, his shrewish wife and their three teenaged children. The oldest son was a hoodlum while it was strongly implied that the daughter was a prostitute, and the youngest son was gay.

The episode in question, the Season Two Premiere, had featured the family going waterskiing on Lake George over Labor Day weekend and their boat was a decrepit looking fishing boat with an outboard engine that was both comically huge, loud, and belched black smoke. The episode had ended with the lot of them leaving their vacation earlier than expected to avoid getting arrested, but not before leaving the people in next campsite, the ones they had tormented for the entire weekend, holding the bag when the Sheriff’s Department showed up.

That stood in rather stark contrast to what they were looking at presently. Princess Kristina with her baby, a little girl and the boat was a stately barge that slowly cruised down what looked like a canal in what looked like an idyllic countryside of woodlands and small farms. It was all so staggeringly wholesome. This shy young woman being one of the public faces of the German Royal family was a problem for the United States. The same was true with the way her brothers and sisters were frequently depicted, even the older brother who had become the King of Bohemia, who came across to Nelson as something of an oaf.

“The Finleys are fictional” One of Nelson’s advisors said.

“I know” Nelson replied “But more of the country than you would think has a hard time telling the difference between television and reality. And don’t think for a minute that what we see of the Hohenzollerns is not just as stage managed as a sitcom.”

“I see, Sir” The advisor said, and Nelson doubted he did. He had realized too late into his Administration that having most of his advisors coming directly from Acidemia was a bit of mistake. While they were the absolutely at the top of their respective fields, they could be clueless about ordinary people.

Near Comandante Luis Piedrabuena , Santa Cruz Province, Argentina

The 7th Recon normally played a role similar to traditional Cavalry. Scouting ahead, screening and guarding the flanks of the Division. Today, they had been pressed into a different role entirely having been ordered to join 2nd Recon from the 3rd Panzer Division and capture Piedrabuena. They were to also link up with Army Group North if possible. According to Manfred, the Oberstlieutenant had told him and all the other Officers that the town was actually of secondary importance, it was capturing the bridge over the Santa Cruz River that was of paramount importance. The hope was that the speed of the Recon Battalions would enable them to move fast enough to get there before the Chileans realized how much of a predicament they were in and blew up the bridge. As Army Group South had broken out of Rio Gallegos the 2nd and 7th had turned north up National Route 3 and had spent the rest of the day and all of the following night moving forward at the best possible speed. Manny had made sure that the 1st Platoon (Callsign Gold) was in the vanguard just behind the 8-rads as they had rushed through the Argentine Steppe at 80 kilometers per hour as the sun was just coming over the eastern horizon.

Manny had tried to sleep but his mind kept going back to how Suse had gotten on an airplane a few days earlier for home. Then there was Christian’s story about how when he got to Medical Services it had been Manny’s sister Ina who had worked on his arm. The rest of the Platoon had gotten a laugh about how she was a veterinarian as opposed to a Physician. Manny had not found that in the least bit funny, the last thing he wanted was for anyone from his Platoon sniffing around Ima, not even Christian who was halfway decent. He had tried to speak to Ima about that and she had told him that he should mind his own fucking business. He couldn’t recall Ima ever standing up to him like that before…

The pitch of the Iltis’ engine changed as they rounded a bend and saw the long straightaway before the bridge. The 8-rads were speeding up to their top speed and the other vehicles in the column were keeping pace. Up ahead, Manny saw one of the armored cars veer off the road and what looked like several bits of wood rained down on the following vehicles. They passed two Chileans who had been manning a checkpoint who were sitting on the should shocked as the vehicles sped past. It that been their guard shack that the 8-rad had smashed through.

The 8-rads had just gotten onto the causeway that approached the main span when the explosives went off causing everyone to slam on their brakes. Minutes later after they were sure they wouldn’t be killed by falling debris the Oberstleutnant came on over Command net. He sounded pissed.

Last edited:

Monitor

Donor
That was actually desirable outcome, because defense planners had estimated that pushing through the Andes Mountains would probably come at a higher cost then they could afford to pay
i have a feeling that That idea will not work out completely, because of stupid luck and happenstance…

(Also, are the Americans aware of the landings?)