Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

First off Kiki is going to be given an extensive debrief when she gets back in which she will downplay her actions but as the details emerge from other peoples the true picture will show that the blood of her Hohenzollern ancestors not to mention the Romanov side of it flows through her and how utterly ruthless she is.
IOTL the live action Disney movies at this time had for the most part female protagonists who were a bit feisty and somewhat independent so a sanitized version of Kiki could be used in a "Family Friendly" movie that could be a modest hit for the company.

One thing is certain ITTL. No-one is ever going to doubt Ben's fidelity to Kiki, because a) she's a surgeon and knows how & where to use a scalpel, b) she's KSK trained and knows both armed & unarmed martial arts, and c) she's been trained by the Tigress and her Japanese equivalent in the same. He'd have to be a friggin lunatic to be unfaithful.

I can also see people insinuating that 'something' must have happened between Kiki & Che during their adventures and trying to get Che to 'confirm' their speculation.

Tabloid journo: "Come on, SOMETHING must of happened while the two of you where missing for all those weeks. And we are aware of your reputation, you know."
Che: "Then you must also be aware of her reputation. Or are you deluded and ignoring it?"
Journo: "What do you mean?"
Che: "She is a dedicated combat surgeon, who is devoted to her husband, and who has been trained to defend herself by the military in which she serves and by the Imperial bodyguards. And as for MY reputation, I do not (knowingly) get involved with married women."

altamiro

Banned
One thing is certain ITTL. No-one is ever going to doubt Ben's fidelity to Kiki, because a) she's a surgeon and knows how & where to use a scalpel, b) she's KSK trained and knows both armed & unarmed martial arts, and c) she's been trained by the Tigress and her Japanese equivalent in the same. He'd have to be a friggin lunatic to be unfaithful.

I can also see people insinuating that 'something' must have happened between Kiki & Che during their adventures and trying to get Che to 'confirm' their speculation.

Tabloid journo: "Come on, SOMETHING must of happened while the two of you where missing for all those weeks. And we are aware of your reputation, you know."
Che: "Then you must also be aware of her reputation. Or are you deluded and ignoring it?"
Journo: "What do you mean?"
Che: "She is a dedicated combat surgeon, who is devoted to her husband, and who has been trained to defend herself by the military in which she serves and by the Imperial bodyguards. And as for MY reputation, I do not (knowingly) get involved with married women."
Why do you assume that it must be Che's initiative and that he would force himself on her? First of all, healthy young women can get horny and seek relief just as well (even though in case of Kiki she would be unlikely to act on it, unlike I.e. Zella) and secondly, even if Che decided to make a move he would convince Kiki that she wants it too, rather than jump on her. Even though there would be regrets afterwards and a talk along the lines of "this didn't happen, we won't ever talk about it, and don't you dare mentioning it to anyone".
Some people commenting here seem to have zero romantic experience at all, not even second hand one...

Why do you assume that it must be Che's initiative and that he would force himself on her? First of all, healthy young women can get horny and seek relief just as well (even though in case of Kiki she would be unlikely to act on it, unlike I.e. Zella) and secondly, even if Che decided to make a move he would convince Kiki that she wants it too, rather than jump on her. Even though there would be regrets afterwards and a talk along the lines of "this didn't happen, we won't ever talk about it, and don't you dare mentioning it to anyone".
Some people commenting here seem to have zero romantic experience at all, not even second hand one...
First, I didn't assume or say anything of the sort. Second, its the 1970s, so conservatives and those who want to attack Kiki would assume that or that he seduced her. Which is why I suggested that a tabloid/paparazzi type "journalist" would be the one to make such an assertion. Why? Because they still make those assumptions when such a situation involves a married woman. If Kiki was still single, they would be split 50/50 on who was at "fault", but condemn Kiki more because she's female. As for how they would view, or at least portray Che, they would spin his reputation as a ladies man to insinuate that 'sometimes' he doesn't always take no for an answer. They do this to people IRL, they would do it here, even if they knew it was a lie, if it suited their purposes to do so. It's called a smear campaign. It's bullshit, but it happens because some people are shit stains on humanity.

Part 122, Chapter 2042
Chapter Two Thousand Forty-Two

8th February 1971

Tempelhof, Berlin

Kiki had just sort of assumed that she would just get sent back to Rio Gallegos where she would resume her old life. As annoying and hectic as that might seem. Things hadn’t worked out that way though. When she reached La Paz, she had taken on step into the German Embassy there just to try and find out what was going on and found herself being taken into custody by the Military Personnel on site. Because she had been reported missing in action, she needed to be debriefed before any thought could be made towards allowing her back into the field. That had resulted in her being put on the first plane home. The last time she had seen Che had been just after she had stepped up to the Embassy doors. He had been standing next to the car with an apologetic look on his face and Kiki figured that the louse had probably had a fairly good idea of what was going to happen. Not that Kiki could complain too much, he had his own Government to contend with when he got back to Argentina. Kiki had also learned that Ben was in Argentina with the Squadron from his Air Wing that been deployed to Córdoba. It was something that she was extremely displeased over, yet she also understood that it was entirely her fault. If she hadn’t gone missing, then he probably wouldn’t have volunteered to go.

Once she had landed in Berlin, Kiki had been whisked off to a house somewhere in the suburbs on a street she didn’t recognize. She figured that if she left it wouldn’t take too long to find an S-Bahn station that would take her to the center of the city and from there, home, in short order. Escaping though, that was something that she had had quite enough of lately. It was in that house where she had been grilled by men and women who were of the type normally associated with the BND, grey functionaries. There was also considerable interest in her case by the First Foot Guard. What had happened with her security detail? Where had she first gone into hiding? What had happened with the Chilean Army that had convinced her to move on from there? Why had she gone into Chile? And dozens more like that. Frequently, they had doubled back on certain aspects of her story, trying to trip her up, to see if she were lying. There were also questions about her traveling with Doctor Ernesto Guevara, who had quite a reputation as a womanizer. Kiki had told the truth, with survival consuming all her energy and the thought that around every corner might be a contingent of the Chilean Army, the two of them had far greater concerns. So, Ernesto was a friend who she had gotten out of a difficult situation with and that was that.

There were finally the medical tests that would put the rumors about her health to rest. The previous Friday she had endured a battery of comprehensive tests, to rule out or confirm anything and everything. It was all entirely to her annoyance that it had even been deemed necessary. She had received a call from the hospital saying that there was one last thing that they wanted to do before they went over the results with her.

Arriving at the University Hospital, she saw that Nora Berg had come out to greet her.

“The Prodigal Daughter has returned home I see” Berg said with a slight smile.

“Is there even such a thing?” Kiki asked as she walked through the doors. “And wouldn’t that imply that I am lazy and wasteful?”

“I don’t think you are wasteful” Berg replied as they walked towards the elevators, “You just have everyone who loves you pulling their hair out in frustration and you can be lazy at times.”

Getting off on the fifth floor, Kiki entered the Imaging and Radiology Department with Berg.

“They just want to see what is going on inside of you first” Berg said, “To clear up a few things.”

“There is nothing out of the ordinary to see” Kiki said, “The rumor is that I am pregnant, and I haven’t been with anyone like that since Ben last year. Right before the whole IUD thing. Since then, I walked halfway across South America and drove for much of the rest.”

Kiki almost asked Berg if she looked like she was eight-months pregnant. Then she remembered what had happened the last time she had asked that question.

“When you were with Ben, that would have been what, late July?” Berg asked, “If I recall correctly.”

“Yes” Kiki replied as they entered the exam room.

“I know you’ve done this before” Berg said, “It will just be me, Doctor Stein, and the Technician in here today.”

The Technician was a woman Kiki’s age wearing the pastel surgical scrubs that identified her as the equivalent to a Nurse. It was something that revealed just how important this Department had become over the course of the last decade. The presence of Doctor Stein was a surprise though. He was the head of Radiology in this Hospital. Kiki would have thought that he was far too senior to take an interest in her case.

Minutes later, Kiki found herself staring at the ceiling as the cold probe was being run across her belly. The gel they used to facilitate the process did nothing to help it feel any less intrusive. It brought to mind the first time Kiki had done this when she had been fifteen with her mother thinking that it was the greatest thing ever. Much to Kiki’s profound embarrassment.

“This is extraordinary” Kiki heard Stein say softly, “You can hardly tell.”

“That is enough of that” Berg told him, “You saw what you wanted, now you can go. Kristina is not to be gawked at. This is rare but it does happen, especially with women in stressful jobs.”

Well Kiki’s back safe and sound, that’s good, Che will probably be getting a reward from both governments for that. And will be seeing Kiki and Ben having to deal with the prospects of being parents which I’m sure will lead to no small amounts of hair tearing.

Congratulations!! It's a baby! At least I hope it is and that it's ok.

I hope Nora is prepared for an early delivery because the shock of discovery might trigger one. Please someone tell Ben that she's safe and that he doesn't need to personally bomb Chile back into the stone age.

Edit: Doctor Stein was there to see if it was something bad, health-wise. The fact that he he thinks its extraordinary, but that Berg has seen it before is what makes me think baby and a cryptic/stealth pregnancy.

Last edited:
Since Ben shot the request number of planes to qualify for the Blue Max it would be logical to send him back to Berlin immediately to receive it.

As for Kiki she is going to find out how much Dr. Berg is going to be involved with her pregnancy and guess who is going to be sitting on the sidelines having the biggest case of schadenfreude ever.
Kiki and Ben are going to find out how much politics play in naming the baby is going to entail.

ferdi254

Banned
The Tornado was and is qualified to take on nuclear weapons. So the comment with the Stone Age might become more closer to reality than is in the comfort zone of everyone.

I get the impression that, if Kiki hadn't turned up alive, well and safe, Ben would have been perfectly content to level Chile with conventional weapons. No need for nukes.

Please take note, that Ben's "target" list was quit specific... No need to level the whole of Chile, because he start at the top of the list of people who are giving the commands and is planning to work his way down LOL..

Part 122, Chapter 2043
Chapter Two Thousand Forty-Three

10th February 1971

Plänterwald, Berlin

Today, Kiki wished she could make time stop as she was sitting in her cottage trying not to think about her current predicament. A couple days earlier she had been laying there on an examination table, looking at something completely different from what she had been expecting, the outline of a baby at around eight months gestation. Of all the people in the hospital, only Nora Berg had shown any understanding. With the rest there had been an undercurrent that was nothing less than accusatory. How could she have not known? Being the question that seemed to be on the tip of everyone’s tongue. Berg had said that she had heard about conditions like Kiki’s several times before, that it was rare, but it did happen. It was even rarer that she took it nearly to term without her condition being externally visible. Something about how it was situated on Kiki’s hips. Apparently, this sort of thing was most common in women with stressful careers or who found themselves in other difficult situations. There were theories about the mechanisms.

For Kiki, seeing that screen had felt the same as when she had watched the airplane that was supposed to take her to safety get blown to smithereens at the airport in Santiago. She had never wanted anything to do with motherhood, or children of her own for that matter. She was good as an aunt or a big sister. Now, she was having to wrap her head around the prospect of being a mother and according to Berg, that could happen at anytime over the next few weeks. The other thing was according to the Technician who had conducted the ultrasound, it looked like Kiki was about to have a daughter. Which was pure insanity when considering how her relationship with her mother had panned out. Berg had told Kiki that she should pick a name and not allow herself to be consumed by things that would probably never happen.

The situation with the Medical Service was not much better. There had been many questions about what she might have done differently. From arguing with the Feldwebel in charge of her security detail, to her decision to leave Estancia María and travel north through Chile to Bolivia. The conclusion had been reached that she had made the best choices with the information she had available, but she had also exercised questionable judgement in the process. Kiki had also gotten herself and a subordinate out of a difficult situation with her compromised health being noted as a factor. Kiki had been told that it was just as well that she was going on maternity leave because that meant that a decision about what to do with her could be put off. Her status as an Officer in the Medical Service would be reevaluated next year if she chose to return. Kiki understood what that meant, she had become a problem that they wanted to go away.

Arrangements were being made for her to talk to Benjamin. For the life of her, Kiki had absolutely no clue as to how she could even begin to explain any of this to him.

Córdoba, Argentina

It had come as a great relief to Ben, knowing that Kiki was safe. She hadn’t needed to be rescued, having saved herself which was perfectly in keeping with who she was. He had gotten a call from Theater Headquarters telling him this and advising him to stop taking so many stupid chances and the suggestion had been made that he be pulled off the line. That was all well and good, except it would have been nice if they had told him before he’d had that little navigation error over Santiago a couple nights earlier. As Ben had said when he had been debriefed, it was a mistake that anyone could have made…

Ben had also been told that he would be getting a chance to finally talk to Kiki as soon as it could be arranged. He figured that she would probably be rather sore that he had gone to Argentina despite her asking him not to.

Santiago, Chile

While the progression of the ground war had gone largely to plan, it was the air war that was growing increasingly worrisome. The growing dominance of Argentine industry, which was the real reason for this war when it came right down to it, was making itself most felt there. The concern was that eventually it would start making itself felt on the ground as well before a peace could be forced across the negotiating table.

Salvador Allende was touring what was left of La Moneda Palace after what his experts were saying were five-hundred-kilogram bombs had left the building gutted. First by the explosion and then by the subsequent fire. It was an ingenious little system that the Argentine Air Force and their German friends had cooked up. Pampero and Orkan fighter-bombers flew low through the Andes at high-speed hitting Santiago. If planes from Chile’s Air Force attacked them, they got bounced by Mirage fighters and if they mixed it up with the Mirage fighters first, the fighter-bombers got through entirely unmolested.

As far as Allende could tell, the attacks on Santiago did little to further the war effort for the Argentine side, but as a purely symbolic action it was priceless. As such, it had him on the phone nearly every day with the Government of the United States asking for additional help for the city’s air defenses.

Last edited:
Another great chapter but then no surprise there after so many of them. I'm thinking it might be time for Kat to step in and have a one on one conversation with Kiki. If ANYONE has an idea of what all is going on in Kiki's head and can relate to it enough to have a discussion about it, it's Kat. Also, I would think that this far in, the fighter bombers would be hitting the supply routes through the mountains to the Chilean ground forces and aiming at those more than grinding their way through Santiago's infrastructure.

The United States should not give any offensive weapons to Chile and only give indirect help like flying E-2 Hawkeye off of aircraft carriers for early warning of air attacks and still be in international air space.
Also it looks like the Argentine air force and Luftwaffe are attacking through certain passes at low altitude maybe some passive measures could be taken like having barrage balloons with heavy cables attached could be somewhat effective.