Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

I’m with other posters: the fact that Ben not only has his plane fuelled and armed, but is also confident of being able to use it when he reaches his destination (so more fuel, repair crew etc.) means that someone higher up has cleared this. Either that or Ben has a huge extended family in Argentina who we’ve never heard of before, all of whom are skilled in aircraft maintenance and own avgas and an off-the-books runway. Which...unlikely.

Maybe Ben and Zella came to a truce and she got her daddy to call in a few favours with the Luftwaffe to authorize an off the book's mission.
Possible...

It will also get him cashiered, but I don't think he'll care too much about that.
Like I said above, the odds are good someone over Ben has approved his little jaunt, otherwise he’d just be stuck in Argentina with a huge and expensive paperweight.

Also depends on how effective it is. Even if this was somehow 100% off-books and his own volition... if he managed to effectively end the conflict quickly they’d probably be like ‘you’re out, but we’ll say that you retired’.

Okay, let's see.

Berlin to Buenos Aires while avoiding Brazil, but overflying Spain and France is a bit more than 12 000 km. Now we don't know the range of the Orkan, but it's certainly less than that even with drop tanks. We can probably assume less than 5 000km. Since we assume that this is at least semi-sanctioned, I would expect drop tanks to come into play for the long Atlantic stretch. Tenerife to Buenos Aires is some 8 500km skirting around Brazil, and unless there is something in Africa I missed the most likely 'friendly' along the way. Unless it's just Ben going, not his unit, that's in Black Buck territory, even if only one way. Probably easier, since it's not an attack run and you might be able to launch tankers from both ends. (And Black Buck was what 13 000km there and back?) Still, depending on the publicity, it could be one of those legendary stories.
(And of course, as mentioned by others, we have Albrecht for precedence. But that was over mostly friendly land territory, with sufficient airports for tankers along the way, IIRC.)

That's of course not thinking about potential 'friendlies' on a trip via South America (a 13 500km-ish route assuming all non-belligerents allow overflight), instead of going straight down the Atlantic. I think the only ones explicitly called out as allied to Germany are Argentina, but I could see Peru or Bolivia giving some quiet support. And maybe one of the Carribean Nations, or Surinam, or Venezuela? Not really up to what conflicts they are involved in, and who might be happy with screwing with Brazil in a deniable way. Still, even then we have to assume an Atlantic crossing from the last Spanish airport of over 5 000km.

Going via Africa, because I honestly don't remember what happened there aside from a bit about South Africa, even going the most direct route south, then west, is well over 15 000km, with an Atlantic Crossing of at least 6 600km, so not really that much better than straight down the Atlantic when it comes to logistics.

(BTW, going back through the updates I noticed you mentioned ARD affiliates in update 2031. That's not how broadcasting works outside North America. Though the PoD is long enough back, things might have changed a bit. Still, in Germany proper, it's highly unlikely for it to be an affiliate system, since the distance constraint don't exist the same way they do in North America, as well as political reasons. Maybe for the more remote parts of the Empire, in what case I assume several would broadcast the 'fluff' piece on the new military hardware on Saturday, after it's premier Friday on ARD itself, because most of them are to the East of Germany proper.)

ferdi254

Banned
Google gives the range of a Tornado at 3.900 km invluding drop tanks. This will be roughly equal for the Orkan. So you need tankers even if you make it to Kapverden. And then you just have your cannons, no other weapons. Having a plane like that usable in a foreign country requires something like a company of people.

So going to Argentine and doing something military there is impossible to without the Brass knowing and approving it.

Google gives the range of a Tornado at 3.900 km invluding drop tanks. This will be roughly equal for the Orkan. So you need tankers even if you make it to Kapverden. And then you just have your cannons, no other weapons. Having a plane like that usable in a foreign country requires something like a company of people.

So going to Argentine and doing something military there is impossible to without the Brass knowing and approving it.
Exactly.

As an alternative, Ben could just take his Orkan for a spin and make lots of cat-shaped contrails. Especially if they are visible from the Chilean embassy in Berlin.

“Deal then” Ernesto replied, “Only if you call me Che
IOTL, Ché's nickname was given to him in 1954 in Guatemala by a Cuban anti-Batista exile, Antonio Ñico López.

No Argentinian would use Che as a nickname IN ARGENTINA. It would be like a Brit in London saying "Call me Limey".

Otherwise, great tale!

Maybe Ben and Zella came to a truce and she got her daddy to call in a few favours with the Luftwaffe to authorize an off the book's mission.
Its not just Zella's father he can call on, I do think Manfred the Elder might be one person to help him. Ben has impressed him and could use it to his advantage. Also you have the Tigress herself, all persons who even think they might have wronged her cringe appropriately, who will send forth her people to take on the mission. Tilo and his merry men are on the way, He who is a hero to even the USMC. Finally the UK and Russia have blood relations in this to help out.

To really know they are in the deep part of the septic tank, when the government sheet metal factory starts making Scarecats by the ton, you need to run home and hide. And hope you don't find one in your bed.

I also just realized that all the different intelligence agencies, even the friendly ones, have some one watching Kat's house or office. Their whole job is to note is she here or not and to send a FLASH message to HQ, even if it means blowing their cover, and to alert the highest levels of government that she is unaccounted for.

With Spain being friendly with Germany ITTL Ben could first refuel in Spain then the Canary Islands then refuel again at French Guiana then fly to Argentina the main problem is that it could mean that Ben is cutting it close and running on fumes by the time he reaches the refueling points if nothing forces any complications to the flight.
Those complications includes weather, head winds, other "Interested Parties" with Naval Task Forces in the general vicinity with aircraft carriers deciding in a "non-hostile" way to send aircraft to force slight deviations to the flight path that makes it harder to reach the refueling points.

If Kiki gets out of this situation alive there is a prisoner with no name who is going to be shown pictures of her handiwork and he will be told that he is "lucky" that it serves the State that he is to be kept alive for the longest time possible and not facing a quick painless death like that Chilean Army Officer.

Monitor

Donor
As an alternative, Ben could just take his Orkan for a spin and make lots of cat-shaped contrails. Especially if they are visible from the Chilean embassy in Berlin.
That could be fun...

Actually, how well known is that interesting situation across the world? Would the Chileans actually understand the threat?

That could be fun...

Actually, how well known is that interesting situation across the world? Would the Chileans actually understand the threat?
Kat is considered to be the Mother-Goddess of Special Warfare, any nation that has a half decent Military Academy has taught about the brilliant campaign that the SKA ran that opened the door to Moscow that was planned by Kat and how the "Scare Cats" were a massively effective "Phsy-Op" operation that caused havoc in the rear areas of the Soviets.
Kat was also the lead planner of the operation that captured Stalin and Molotov alive.
Kat was the head of Special Warfare in the Sino-Korean Conflict and the final offensive victory was in part due to her operations that disrupted Chinese communications and supply lines.
In the Race for Warsaw between Hans and Tilo the fact that Kat beat them both was made famous in that movie where both Tilo and Hans showed up at the same time in the center of Warsaw only to be greeted by Kat.
Every nation that can afford an German desk in their Foreign Ministry or State Department and Intelligence agencies has also a subsection dedicated to keep track of Kat that has only a couple of people assigned to it until something heats up like Kat going on a trip (see Kat visiting in-laws in Canada).

Part 121, Chapter 2036
Chapter Two Thousand Thirty-Six

25th December 1970

Rural Santa Cruz Province

“This is the worst birthday ever” Kiki finally said when Che asked her why she seemed so upset.

They had been walking cross country in a generally north-western direction for the last few days after they had left the Estancia. The rolling hills of the Patagonian Steppe made for slow going. They were also avoiding roads, hopefully Chilean patrols as well, and moving in a direction that any pursuers wouldn’t expect. Kiki had never paid a whole lot of attention about how heavy her medical bag was, but with the shoulder strap cutting into her, it was sort of hard to ignore. Che suggested that she leave it behind and she had burst into tears. That bag, a gift from her father, was a part of who she was. Kiki could no sooner leave behind her left arm. All the frustrations of the previous days had boiled over, especially when she realized what day it was.

“This sheep infested country is just an awful place” Kiki sobbed, “It took me away from the people I love. Left me stuck in the middle of nowhere. Then there are the nightmares that I’ve had since I got here.”

“Nightmares?” Che asked. He had observed that she was a restless sleeper over the last few weeks they had been stuck together. Was that actually out of the ordinary? He was also aware that she had a pistol and a small, razor sharp knife she wasn’t afraid to use. So, waking her up was out of the question.

“I started having them about the time I arrived in this God forsaken country” Kiki said as she kicked a rock and it rolled away down the hillside ahead of them. “That was back in August. The greatest hits are waking up as someone else, my teeth falling out, and finally, the one where my husband and oldest brother are trying to kill each other.”

“I am not a Psychiatrist” Che said, “It sounds to me like you should speak to one of them about that sort of thing. And happy birthday by the way. How old are you now? If you don’t me asking.”

Che didn’t really care how she was, it was just something to stop her from the spiral of self-pity that he had seen her enter into once before, just after she had dropped that Chilean Officer. It seemed like there were moments when she was determined to be miserable and be a pain to everyone else unfortunate enough to be around her.

“Twenty-nine” Kiki replied and that was when a pair of jetfighters streaked across the sky. “My idiot husband flies those.”

“I doubt he’s an idiot if he flies one of those” Che said.

“With me out here and out of communication with my Regiment, he’s going to be in a state” Kiki said, “He is going to want to come looking for me, but he can’t, not on his own. That is where him being an idiot comes in. The Oberst in charge of his Air Wing is going to ask who wants to volunteer to come to Argentina and Benjamin will be the first to raise his hand. That is the sort of predictably idiotic behavior I’m talking about.”

“And here I was thinking that romance was dead” Che said.

“Romance is hardly romantic if it gets you killed” Kiki replied.

“That is an amazing thing coming from a Princess” Che said with a smirk, “Don’t let Disney hear you.”

“Seriously, fuck Disney” Kiki said, her previously morose attitude was gone. “Do you have any idea how much trouble those people have caused me? And for anyone who thinks my life is romantic. Does any of this shit look romantic to you?”

She gestured to the landscape ahead of them. A lot of dirt and scrub brush, however, the Andes were on the horizon.

“We can see the mountains from here” Che said.

“Not helping” Kiki replied, “Chile is just across there.”

“If we are going to get north of this mess, we will need to cross the mountains, a couple different times” Che said, “It’s a journey I’ve made a few times, just not during a war and in much better company.”

“How far north?” Kiki asked, “And what do you mean by better company?”

“Bolivia has declared itself neutral” Che said, “If we…”

“Is that a joke?” Kiki asked, “That’s thousands of kilometers north of here.”

“Unless you fancy crossing the front lines and risk having whatever happened a few days ago happen again, except with more guns pointed at you, then you need to think in terms of wider geography” Che said, “That doesn’t mean we are walking the whole way though.”

There were a few details Che had left out of the plan, like the final destination. There was also his involvement in the war to consider. Getting Kristina to safety and back with her own people would make him a hero. After that he could bow out, resume his life, and hopefully no one would say shit about it. Of course, he didn’t exactly have a whole lot of faith that the Government in Buenos Aires were not going to be complete bastards and shove him right back where he had been before.

“This plan of yours had better work” Kiki said crossly.

That made for two of them.

So, some Chileans trying to be cool are now cooling for their eternal sleep.

The way things sounded, Ben saw his plane, connected the dots that they're already on standby for deployment, doubly so thinks to the recent FUBAR, and is probably going to find himself a way to get to the other side of the pond.

I guess people 'only' see Ben as the astronomer that also happens to be Kiki's husband. They kinda forgot it takes metaphorical big balls to be strapped into a pole of exploding material, be thrown into the vacuum, and then return in a fireball. Not to mention dealing with Kiki's insecurities and issues all these years.

EDIT: Oh, new chapter.

"[...]the one where my husband and oldest brother are trying to kill each other.”

Ooops.

Last edited:
I just thought, Richie is a reservist.
Richie has SF experience and has done this kind of work before.

What are the odds on Richie being "Volunteered" by the CIA for some other work and bumping into Kiki?