Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

As for Kiki and Ben themselves, the whole incident had resulted in Louis to tell them how annoying their games had gotten over the last few years. While he could look the other way because they had managed to be discrete and mostly responsible until now, they needed to set a date and stick to it this time. That had resulted in both of them protesting about how they were supposed to had made things official the previous summer, but Kiki had been called away. That was hardly their fault. Kat knew what the truth was about how Kiki had been assigned to the SMS Antonia Marie and how the 1st Foot Guard Regiment would have their hands full if the Princess ever found out. At this point, Kat considered telling Kiki and Ben to go to the nearest Courthouse with only invitations going to their immediate family, public opinion be damned.
Ben & Kiki (simultaneously): "We HAD set a date! Last summer! But the Joint Medical Service screwed that up, remember?"
Louis (sweating nervously as he DID remember): "That's beside the point, what's done is done. Anyway it's water under the bridge by now. Just pick a new date and stick to it!"

Sometime later...
Louis (after checking to make sure Kiki & Ben were elsewhere): "Kat, I'd like you to triple check my personal security arrangements. Just as a precautionary measure."
Kat (eyeing Louis thoughtfully): "If Kiki ever finds out that her South Seas 'excursion' last summer was because you were meddling in her career & personal life again, I'd have to triple your detail just to slow her down. Just so you know."
Louis (swallows): "... "

Elsewhere...
Kiki (looking thoughtful): "Ben, did my father look a little nervous when he was yelling at us to set a date earlier?"
Ben: "I think so... yeah, he did a little. Why do you ask?"
Kiki: "I'm not sure... "

ferdi254

Banned
Small thing here. In Germany you needed an Aufgebot, meaning your marriage plan needs to be publicized 14 days before the marriage. Otherwise I agree.

Simple a wedding before Orthodox Lent or after Orthodox Easter at Potsdam Palace, Ambassador level guests except for any relatives that are Heads of State ( Czar Gregory, King Michael of Romania and his oldest unmarried daughter) and other guests that have to be invited.
Ben gets his current title bumped up at least Graf level.
Honeymoon at the Hohenzollern Castle then back to work.

The Captain of the ship shpuld be authorised to conduct weddings.
A cliche but no doubt that there was KLM Chaplains aboard the ship and they were in German Pacific Islands territorial waters so no problems in the legality of any wedding.

At this point, Kat considered telling Kiki and Ben to go to the nearest Courthouse with only invitations going to their immediate family, public opinion be damned.
Kiki, Aunt Kat has a point. You know she obviously loves you, hell, she part named a daughter after you, and you know why. It'd be better for your sanity, and Ben would marry you anywhere, anytime as long he knew your father would be positive on the idea. Listen to Kat, Kiki. She's right.

Kiki, Aunt Kat has a point. You know she obviously loves you, hell, she part named a daughter after you, and you know why. It'd be better for your sanity, and Ben would marry you anywhere, anytime as long he knew your father would be positive on the idea. Listen to Kat, Kiki. She's right.
You are right but unfortunately for our two crazy mixed up kids there are certain political considerations that has to be accounted for.
Princess Kristina is a revered figure in the Eastern Orthodox Church in Germany and the hierarchy is going to want a public religious ceremony to emphasize that.
Ben is a symbol of the New Junker Class as a "Citizen-Soldier-Scholar" who is a hero in Germany in both war as an Ace during the Sino-Korean War and in peace with the first manned mission to the Moon.

ferdi254

Banned
Ejpsan a marriage of a captain is not legally binding and a chaplain can only do the religious part and that was no longer binding since Bismarck. It is a bit more complicated but within 14 days possible.

And should be done asap.

Ejpsan a marriage of a captain is not legally binding and a chaplain can only do the religious part and that was no longer binding since Bismarck. It is a bit more complicated but within 14 days possible.

And should be done asap.
I wasn't aware of this. Thank you.

And should be done asap.
I should have gone more in to details with my post: The SMS Antonia when it was in the German Pacific Islands Kiki and Ben could have gotten a marriage license and have a civil wedding first then a religious ceremony on the ship, also I know that there has been in the past in Germany waivers have been granted to expedite the process and no doubt that a waiver for the daughter of the High King and the "Star Sailor" would have been granted.
This is an example of how my American thinking gets in the way, in the United States you go down to the county office and depending on the county and state you are in there could be multiple offices and get a license.
From that point after the license is issued anyone who has the power to sign the license and has a government issued stamp that has to be applied can conduct any type of ceremony for the couple and then there is a certain amount of time after that the license has to be sent to the county recorder's office for the marriage to be valid.

Part 117, Chapter 1952
Chapter One Thousand Nine Hundred Fifty-Two

27th December 1969

Franz Kafka International Airport, Prague, Bohemia

Now that the wedding was over, it was hoped that direct diplomacy would be possible. Kaiser Louis Ferdinand had less than a year left on the throne before he was planning on stepping down. Like most men who were nearing the end of their term in office it was figured that he would be interested in burnishing his legacy. Nelson Rockefeller had been advised to have a meeting to set up the next meeting where the topic would be strategic arms limitation. Something that would be to the mutual benefit of both their respective countries.

As a VIP, Rockefeller was exempted from the intrusive security and officialdom that the Prague’s new and largest airport had swiftly become internationally infamous for. However, he wasn’t spared from the confusing maze that made up the monstrous structure. It was rumored that the original Architect had gone insane and had needed to be replaced partway through the construction. Considering how difficult it was to find their way around even with a map, Rockefeller figured there must be a great deal of truth to that rumor. The men from the Secret Service kept being told that it wasn’t as confusing as it seemed so long as the proper protocols were observed as they had tried to move though the complex of concourses and service passages. None of this was helped by the signs being in a mixture of German and Czech that often included contradictory information. Then there was the airport staff, they seemed to range between indifferent at best to openly hostile, especially if they were dealing with foreigners. Rockefeller’s aides and a Secret Service detachment had found that out the hard way when the advance team had arrived several days earlier.

Today, Rockefeller was trying to get to the First Class lounge off the Main Concourse. Apparently, the Main Concourse existed in two different places in the airport at the same time with the space in the middle still under construction. He and his entourage had been on the wrong side and getting to the correct place took some doing. When Rockefeller finally entered the lounge, several minutes late, he could see Air Force One parked out on the tarmac, the sleek Boeing 707, however parked right next to it was the German Kaiser’s idea of a joke. In the past, Louis Ferdinand had flown a former Luftwaffe trainer that he had bought personally when the Germans had phased out the biplanes in favor of more modern aircraft. Now he had replaced it with another former Luftwaffe airplane, a far larger Fieseler Kranich. The twin-engine turboprop was a wonder of engineering with the hydraulically actuated high-lift devices in the wings and the system of spoilers that worked in conjunction with the ailerons. Louis had explained all of that to Rockefeller a few days earlier. It also happened to be one of the ugliest airplanes ever built. Walking across the lounge, Rockefeller saw Louis speaking with a tall man in a tattered suit.

“Hello” Louis said when he saw Rockefeller in the somewhat reedy voice he had when he spoke English, “Glad you finally made it.”

As if Louis wouldn’t have known what a mess this airport was, Rockefeller thought to himself.

“We had a touch of difficulty in the concourse” Rockefeller replied.

“Michael told me that the Landtag here in Prague is less than thrilled with how this airport has progressed” Louis said, “They were trying to get it all straightened out before this week, but alas…”

Louis shrugged.

“I find it amusing that it has come to epitomize the term Kafkaesque” Louis’ guest said, “What were they thinking when they named this airport?”

“Who are you?” Rockefeller asked.

“How rude of me” Louis said, “Nelson Rockefeller this is Eric Blair, the man behind George Orwell presents. He is here in Prague covering Michael and Birdie’s wedding for the BBC.”

This was George Orwell? For decades, Rockefeller had been aware of him as a disembodied voice as his show was rebroadcast on public radio in America.

City of Westminster, London, England

The Moondogs had been firing on all cylinders as they recorded a new album in the final days of 1969. Then things had gone sideways when Mythology had arrived a couple days before Christmas. It wasn’t that they didn’t get along with the up-and-coming band, it was the hero worship that both John and Paul were finding to be annoying, Ringo found it funny how Ozzy, Mythology’s lead singer, tended to follow John around like a puppy dog. For Paul it was profoundly strange encountering people who were directly influenced by the Moondogs’ pervious work.

Eventually, they had gotten back to work. In many respects the new album was a follow up to Spiraling. The album they had done since then had been a step back with John interested at the time in making music that was fun to play allowing Paul and George to take more of a leading role. The record company had been happy with that, but then they had started asking if the band was going to be returning to form in the future. That was strange considering how the company had reacted in horror to Spiraling when it had first been cut, only releasing it reluctantly after copies had leaked out.

Last edited:
More good stuff--getting another generation ready to go...
“I find it amusing that it has come to epitomize the term Kafkaesque” Louis’ guest said, “What were they thinking when they named this airport?”
From the discription, I wouldn't be surprised if there's places where a triangle's angles don't add up to 180 degrees.
Could be worse, though. "We will be landing at Miskatonic Airport in ten minutes."

More good stuff--getting another generation ready to go...

From the discription, I wouldn't be surprised if there's places where a triangle's angles don't add up to 180 degrees.
Could be worse, though. "We will be landing at Miskatonic Airport in ten minutes."
No that one is being built in the US.