Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

At this point in the timeline Germany American relations are good, while they still see each other as rivals it is mostly economics and influence that it is being carried out on.
Both Germany and the US have become reluctant partners on some issues where both interests have converged like the case with Senor Arbrbusto.
The only thing I can see the Germans having a reason to use FBI Director Aleshire for if another country is running an operation in the United States that is interfering with one of their own and they need to keep there fingerprints off of it so they get in contact with Aleshire to deal with it and it is the best interest of the US to go after it while all a long Germany can still operate in the shadows.

Part 116, Chapter 1934
Chapter One Thousand Nine Hundred Thirty-Four

7th September 1969

Pohnpei, Caroline Islands

Nora Berg had once told Kiki that when things don’t pan out the way that she expected, perhaps it was time to reassess her expectations. It was sort of odd hearing that from Berg considering the way she had always acted during the time that Kiki had known her but there was a great deal of truth in that. Over the last few days, she had found that she needed to reassess a number of things.

When Kiki had requested to take leave from the SMS Antonia Marie to take a holiday at her father’s house on the island, she had been expecting some sort of pushback from her Superiors. Instead, she had been told that she was lucky that her family had such a resource. Then Kiki had been reminded that she would still be on call, she needed to be available in case there was an emergency and that she would have to report back when the Antonia was preparing to leave port for their next destination. Other than that, she should go have some fun. When she had asked why they were so agreeable, they had reminded Kiki that she had been continuously on duty since June and that if she hadn’t requested it herself, they would have ordered her to take some leave.

It was sort of hard to argue with that.

However, she still had the problem that her guest presented. When Kiki gone to meet Ben at the airport, she had need to explain that letting Michael stay in one of the guest cottages at her father’s house was the least she could do after having effectively trapped him aboard the Antonia. Michael’s mother was coming in on the weekly flight from Hawaii and that the two of them would be on the outbound flight a couple days later. That meant that for the first few days of their holiday, Ben would need to put aside whatever romantic ideas that he had. He had just shrugged and said that he had no expectations. Kiki had fretted for the rest of the ride from the airport how he would react to sullen presence of Michael who had shown no inclination towards showing anything other than dislike for Kiki.

That was when the second of the things that made Kiki feel she needed to reassess happened. When Kiki had introduced Ben to Michael, Michael recognized his name from the Taxidiotis Program and had recently read about the Argelander Observatory in the National Geographic Magazine. That had included the photograph of Ben among the University Department Heads with the Mayor and the Village Council back in Balderschwang. The two of them struck up a conversation about a number of things that were shared interests. Normally, Kiki might have objected to being the third wheel, this time was a bit different though. Had she gotten Michael totally wrong?

A day later, Mary Clark finally arrived in Pohnpei. She was every bit the stern matriarch that Kiki had been expecting, the same woman who had used some very choice words to describe her husband, then the Governor of New York at the time of their divorce. To Kiki’s shock she thanked her for helping keep her son out of someone’s stewpot for a bit longer. Kiki had started to explain that as far as she was aware that sort of thing no longer happened… When Kiki realized that she was joking. Tod, Mary insisted that Kiki call her that, was interested in Kiki herself, how she really was an Emergency Surgeon and how wonderful that was. She couldn’t wait for Kiki to show her around the island and if there was time, Mary was dying to see the big Hospital Ship that everyone was so worked up about. It seemed that she volunteered to sit on the Board of the Bellevue School of Nursing and knew a thing or three about hospitals.

Wahlstatt, Silesia

It seemed that neither Niko nor Bas had had a particularly great Summer Holiday. Niko’s Grandfather had decided that he needed to learn about how the Kingdom as it were was run and had insisted that he be at his side the entire time. While going hunting with Opa was always fun. Far more time had been spent watching the wheeling and dealing that went on among Opa’s circle was like watching paint dry. The highlight of the Summer had been going to what Opa regarded proper manly undertakings. Football, Boxing, Shooting and Racing; cars and horses in particular though Niko had met several cyclists at one event. In his opinion not enough time had been spent doing the fun things, Opa had told him that was just life and he needed to get used to it.

Bas on the other hand had discovered that his mother had decided that it would be better for everyone if he didn’t have a single unstructured moment the entire Holiday. Bas’ father had readily agreed and had made the arrangements to have him thrown in among the Cadets aboard the School Ship SMS Niobe II. That meant that Bas had spent most of the Holiday learning to sail on the Baltic Sea as the lowest of the low of the ship’s crew. That had apparently been just as miserable of an experience as it sounded.

Sunday afternoon was as close to a lazy time they were allowed to have. If they were smart, they were preparing for the week ahead, that was what Niko was doing when he saw the notice that had been posted on the dormitory’s bulletin board. Their class was going to be entertaining their counterparts from the nearby girl’s boarding school. It seemed that there were hazards here as well…

Last edited:
Part 116, Chapter 1935
Chapter One Thousand Nine Hundred Thirty-Five

12th September 1969

Pohnpei

As soon as Mary Clark and her son, Mike Rockefeller, were gone Ben watched as Kiki just seemed withdraw into herself. It was then that he had realized that she had been forcing herself to play the part of the gracious hostess, after spending months aboard the Antonia where she had basically been on duty constantly. That had been absolutely exhausting for her, both mentally and physically.

Now, all she wanted to do was as little as possible and Ben couldn’t blame her. Not that he minded what they were doing in the meantime as they were laying on the hammock on the covered porch that ran the length of the back of the whitewashed villa. It was a rainy day and as was frequent in the Tropics, it was pounding on the roof tiles above. Ben was trying to hold as still as possible because he feared that he might spill them out of the hammock.

“I always mess everything up” Kiki said to the ceiling and Ben had no idea that she was even awake. “You didn’t need to find yourself in the middle of my drama.”

“You were doing your job” Ben replied, “Protocols and all.”

“Doctor Berg once said that rigid adherence to rules is an excuse to act in untoward ways without consequences” Kiki said, “I suspected that Doctor Rockefeller was there to spy on me, and I threw him into the quarantine bay the instant I was given an excuse.”

“For starters, I doubt that Berg would use those exact words” Ben said, “And Mike said that he was there to spy on you, after a fashion.”

“What?” Kiki exclaimed and forgetting that she was on a hammock sat up and tipped the balance precariously. It took a moment for them to restabilize the thing only for Kiki to get out and start pacing around the porch as Ben rocked back and forth. She was barefoot and the style of dress that she was wearing, little more than a cotton sheet wrapped around her which was a nod to the hot, humid climate, didn’t lend itself to stomping around in agitation.

“Mike said that his father sent him to get a feel of who you are without seeing you through the lens of CIA or US State Department paranoia” Ben said, “That was why he flew from New Britain. He certainly got to know how you are when you are not trying to endear yourself to someone.”

Kiki gave Ben a dirty look. “Why did he tell you that?” She asked.

“Because I asked him” Ben replied as he put his feet on the floor, “He thought the whole thing was silly and likes politics about as much as you do.”

That seemed to deflate Kiki. “As I said, I always mess things up” She said flatly.

“Stop it Kiki” Ben said, “No one is perfect and there is no way you could have known that.”

Even as he said it, Ben knew that Kiki had legions of detractors who had spent years trying to catch her in a moment when she was less than perfect. It was the reason why the villa’s security caught a photographer trying to sneak in at least once a day. Recent events, with Kiki postponing a Royal wedding so that she could go on the medical mission and Ben himself drawing attention for his efforts in Bavaria had brought the focus of the public eye on them as a couple, as well as loads of speculation. People had questions and the dearth of answers because Kiki wasn’t interested in giving them any.

“I should have asked the obvious questions” Kiki replied as she sat back down on the hammock next to Ben. “Like you did.”

“Who said that was an obvious question?” Ben asked, “The lab on your ship said measles and that is not something you could afford to ignore, plus you have the whole political angle to consider. I had the luxury of not having to worry about that when I arrived here.”

“So, there are advantages in having a Doctorate of Philosophy as opposed to Medicine at times” Kiki said.

“Perhaps” Ben said, “But it doesn’t command nearly as much respect. Everyone knows what you do is life and death, while I get to be asked if I do presentations at the Archenhold Observatory’s Planetarium.”

“Is that a joke?”

“Hardly, I get asked that more than you would think” Ben replied, “That is one of the reasons my father asks if I am going for a Professorship. A career in the Sciences requires that sort of gravitas, it is how we determine the proper order when the faculty fucks goats.”

Ben said that last part in an imitation of his father’s voice.

With that Kiki started laughing. “All these years spent working towards our goals” She said, “We reach them and then we get reminded that we are still at the beginning.”

“I wouldn’t say that” Ben said, “It just means that there are still a whole lot of things we have yet to do.”

For a long moment they sat there listening to the rain.

“The Cook said that it is seafood for lunch today” Kiki said.

“Let me guess, with bananas and yams in some capacity?” Ben asked.

Kiki just shrugged. “Welcome to the islands” She said, “No one ever said that paradise had a great menu.”

Last edited:
Ben has once again showed why he is good for Kiki he helps keep her grounded when she starts to think once again the world is her responsibility.
Mary Clark has probably gleend more correct information about the hospital ship and came back suitably impressed and will report that it is just what it is a hospital ship, the world's most technological advanced hospital ship.

Niko has just learned that Opa treats him differently from his other grandchildren because he is the only named Richthofen and that is not always a good thing.
Bas is truly Marine Infantry material and they are just waiting for him and he will get the same "Kid Glove" treatment that his cousins Erik and Karl got.
The upcoming meeting of the nearby girl's boarding school will bring a surprising new character to interest Niko and I believe that the consensus of the posters on this timeline is that eventually Bas and Marie will end up together.

ferdi254

Banned
On the other hand the cook should have availability of all the spices in that area so that should give him ample to work with. If he does not use it, time for a new cook.

Maybe the cook is working through a list of recipes for seafood, bananas and yams. Tonight's meal could be a very well seasoned & perfectly cooked meal. That list could even hold the recipe for Nanny Ogg's Banana Soup Surprise, for all we know. However, if it's day 12 of variations on a theme, it is understandable if the cook's victims... err... dining patrons are beginning to desire a little more variation in the meal plan. Say, coconut, taro & chicken?

(GNU Sir Terry Pratchett)

Maybe the cook is working through a list of recipes for seafood, bananas and yams. Tonight's meal could be a very well seasoned & perfectly cooked meal. That list could even hold the recipe for Nanny Ogg's Banana Soup Surprise, for all we know. However, if it's day 12 of variations on a theme, it is understandable if the cook's victims... err... dining patrons are beginning to desire a little more variation in the meal plan. Say, coconut, taro & chicken?

(GNU Sir Terry Pratchett)
Surely Chef could get some of the groundsmen to do a traditional Lovo for the honoured guests. get some fish, pigs and chickens, sweet potato, taro and cassava then dig a pit, build a fire to hot coals and cover all the foil wrapped goodies in the pit in wet sacks, cover with earth and cook until delicious. Eaten it many times in Polynesia and so delicious!

In this discussion of the cook at the Emperor's Pacific Island Villa most likely for a long stay like we saw in the second timeline there is some staff that is brought over from Germany and for the rest of the staff they are most likely coming from a high end resort that has passed special background investigations.
On short term stays like Kiki is on right now there is a small staff from the resort that is working there.
i am making this speculation from a documentary i watched a few years ago about the British Royal Family and how they got their household staff from an upscale hotel chain that would train them and after a few years some of them would go back to the chain with higher pay and titles.

I am also going to speculate that there are debates about which nations have the best staff that you would hire if you have the money, for me it would be an English Butler, German Housekeeper, Russian Maids, French Cook, Scottish Nanny, and a Japanese Gardener.
But then again I am an ignorant American with more money then sense (I wish).

ferdi254

Banned
Ejpsan you want to have service staff with guest contact from Thailand, without from the Philipines, chefs from Italy or Turkey (nowadays Swiss and Germany) organising staff from Swiss. There is a reason why you find exactly this combination on cruise ships and hotel chains of higher categories and that reason is not the incompetence of the hiring staff.

Part 116, Chapter 1936
Chapter One Thousand Nine Hundred Thirty-Six

19th September 1969

Friedrichshain

Having the Kombi News Van made things easier when they arrived at the scene of the opening night of Oktoberfest as it was celebrated in Berlin as Zella waited for Yuri to finish changing his clothes while she waited in the passenger seat with the door open, reading the latest edition of The Mirror. After the whole incident with the “Milkmaid” dress that Zella had been forced to wear, she had made it clear to her employers that she would have no more of that sort of thing without her express agreement ahead of time. There was the minor detail that she had convinced her dear Aunt Katherine to grant her an interview. The Fürstin’s rather dim view of men who abused positions of authority was somewhat infamous, so they had proven a lot more agreeable than they had been in the past.

That was why she was dressed in business casual, as was expected of a field reporter. The nod towards Oktoberfest was the checkered scarf that she was planning on putting on before they entered the park where the event was taking place. The lederhosen and hat that Yuri was putting on looked every bit as absurd as Zella had figured they would. He was more of the classic Russian “fur hat and coveralls” sort, which happened to be how he dressed in the wintertime. She figured that she would let him figure out that wasn’t strictly required for the event’s dress code on his own.

The article in The Mirror featured Kiki’s adventures in the South Seas. The photograph that Zella was looking at was of Kiki talking to a small group of schoolchildren with Ben standing in the background. To Zella’s amazement, Ben wasn’t wearing black socks with sandals, Kiki must have talked him out of doing that. It wasn’t a surprise that Kiki was still wearing those awful military issue glasses though and she seemed to have swiftly adapted to island life. The dress that Kiki had on was a simple green and yellow wrap around affair in a floral pattern that left her shoulders and arms bare. Zella was a bit envious in how good that looked on Kiki knowing that look would never work for her for the same reason the dress she had worn at the live history museum had proven so embarrassing. It simply wasn’t made for women like her.

The strange part was that Kiki didn’t consider herself particularly attractive. It might have been because she compared herself to Zella, something that she had told her not to do. Kiki’s appearance lent itself towards her being taken seriously, especially after she had become a Physician. Whereas Zella’s tended to result in her being treated as if she were stupid and/or promiscuous. Neither of which had ever been true.

“I’m ready” Yuri said as he opened the side door and stepped out, “Your turn, I promise not to look.”

“At what?” Zella asked as she put the magazine away and stepped out of the Kombi closing the door. The look on Yuri’s face when he watched as she wrapped the checkered scarf loosely around her neck was priceless. Sometimes, there was a great deal of satisfaction to be found in a bit of payback.

Tempelhof

Marie and Sophie were arguing with each other. At first, Kat had been a bit concerned because of how Sophie had reacted to things such as that in the past. Then she had realized that this was actually a good thing this time because the two of them were bickering in the manner that girls who shared the same household tended to do. It was Sophie pushing in on Marie’s boundaries and Marie, having always been a bit private in nature, was having none of it. With Tat and Kol being so much older than Marie, she had largely escaped the give and take that came from having siblings, until now.

“Sophie got into my makeup” Marie complained, and Kat had to struggle to hide her annoyance. How had she ended up with a daughter who had gone to such great lengths to learn about cosmetics? It was something that Kat had long considered a bother that she had to pay someone to help her with a few times a year when she had to attend some equally bothersome formal event. Gerta, always being the doting aunt, had given Marie an extensive makeup kit and had taught her how to use it. While much of what Marie had done with that had gotten almost comedic results, she had gotten better over time. Unfortunately, the makeup kit along, with countless other curiosities that filled Marie’s room, had proven irresistible to Sophie who was becoming aware of such things.

“Is that true Sophie?” Kat asked.

“I just wanted to look at it” Sophie replied.

“And then what?” Marie demanded.

Kat was perfectly aware that with children “taking a look” swiftly turned into playing with something they shouldn’t. Marie ought to be perfectly aware of that, it was something she had done countless times.

“Sophie, you need to apologize” Kat said, and Marie’s face took on a smirk, thinking she had won. “And Marie, what have I told you about setting an example.”

The smirk vanished from Marie’s face instantly.

Kat was left with the question of what to do with these two. Perhaps this was one of those times where the best punishment would involve giving them exactly what they thought they wanted.

Last edited:
I still see that Zella has the same warm feelings for Ben as ever.
The picture of Kiki meeting with schoolchildren in the islands reminds me of the idea that mkemp had of "Care Cats" White cats with Red Cross on their bodies, that could be an unofficial symbol of the JMS hospitals and clinics throughout the islands.

Kat for some reason to me may be taking some joy in planning the punishment of Marie and Sophie and this may he a bonding moment for them.

Zella seems half convinced that Ben is the stereotypical math teacher, with the knee socks and sandals. Kiki, of course, knows otherwise. As for Yuri and the TV managers, classic. If they can't force Zella to wear the stupid costumes, there is always the cameraman... although that might have purely Zella.

"Give them exactly what they thought they wanted" Kat is mastering the parental arts.

“Sophie got into my makeup” Marie complained, and Kat had to struggle to hide her annoyance. How had she ended up with a daughter who had gone to such great lengths to learn about cosmetics? It was something that Kat had long considered a bother that she had to pay someone to help her with a few times a year when she had to attend some equally bothersome formal event. Gerta, always being the doting aunt, had given Marie an extensive makeup kit and had taught her how to use it. While much of what Marie had done with that had gotten almost comedic results, she had gotten better over time. Unfortunately, the makeup kit along, with countless other curiosities that filled Marie’s room, had proven irresistible to Sophie who was becoming aware of such things.

“Is that true Sophie?” Kat asked.

“I just wanted to look at it” Sophie replied.

“And then what?” Marie demanded.

Kat was perfectly aware that with children “taking a look” swiftly turned into playing with something they shouldn’t. Marie ought to be perfectly aware of that, it was something she had done countless times.

“Sophie, you need to apologize” Kat said, and Marie’s face took on a smirk, thinking she had won. “And Marie, what have I told you about setting an example.”

The smirk vanished from Marie’s face instantly.

Kat was left with the question of what to do with these two. Perhaps this was one of those times where the best punishment would involve giving them exactly what they thought they wanted.
Marie wants makeup, Sophie wants to learn about makeup.
My bet is on Kat sending Marie to a depaertment store with a generous sum to buy makeup.

For her AND Sophie, and Marie will required to show Sophie how to use it properly.

Bonding moment, Maries gets replacement make up and Sophie gets to see what it's about.
If Marie plays this right when Kat reveals her solution, Marie can earn some major, major brownie points with her mother.

Part 116, Chapter 1937
Chapter One Thousand Nine Hundred Thirty-Seven

26th September 1969

Off Pohnpei, South Pacific

Getting recalled to the ship a bit early wasn’t something that Kiki had been planning on. For the last two weeks she had tried to live every moment to the fullest extent possible. Knowing that this could happen at any time had been something that she had done her best to keep at the very back of her mind. The message had arrived while she had been enjoying a quiet evening in parlor/common area that made up most of the ground floor in the main house. At her convenience, Kiki was to make her way back to the SMS Antonia Marie so that she could be updated on the evolving security situation in East Asia. That meant that Kiki had needed to change her clothes, arrange to be driven into Kolonia and then find a boat that could take her out to where the Antonia was anchored a few kilometers north-west of Pohnpei.

“I thought I had another week before we left for Yap” Kiki said as soon as she saw the Ship’s Captain, Executive Officer, the Medical Director, and the Hauptmann who was Commanding Officer of the Ship’s Marine detachment in the wardroom.

They didn’t answer as they waited for Kiki to take a seat at the table.

“It was figured that we would need to speak with you Major von Preussen before we went started the next leg of this journey” The Medical Director said, “And to decide just how much of a risk the situation represents for you.”

Meaning that they were questioning how much of a risk having the Princess Royal of Germany aboard represented. Even if Kiki were not targeted directly, there were criminal syndicates in the region that would give anything for the sort of opportunity holding her, or someone close to her, for ransom represented. The unsettled situation in the Western Pacific was allowing all sort of unsavory elements to operate openly. That wasn’t news, so Kiki assumed that there must have been a new development.

“What has changed?” Kiki asked.

“General Sun Li-jen has put the Capital of China under siege” The Captain replied, “This seems to have caught General Pan Yong flatfooted and we are still trying to establish exactly what is happening.”

“The Chinese are being about as cooperative as they ever are” The Marine Hauptmann added.

The plan was for the Antonia to proceed from Yap to Palau, then to Saipan. Finally, they would steam for Pusan in Korea to take on supplies after a stop in Japan. The trouble was that the next leg would take them to Taiwan and Saigon. If what the Marine Hauptmann said was true, then they would potentially be passing blind through waters that could be dangerous even at the best of times.

“That will not be the first time that I’ve been in a potentially dangerous situation” Kiki said, “And I will feel like I am shirking my responsibilities if I am not there when people under my command are in such a situation.”

“We understand that” The Medical Director said, “But there are other considerations.”

“What if I made it clear that I am volunteering” Kiki said, “I am confident in my ability to protect myself.”

“That is laudable” The Captain said, “However, it is not about you alone. What if your presence puts the crew in greater danger?”

“It shouldn’t” Kiki replied, “I made it through Korea and that was an actual war.”

Kiki wasn’t liking the direction that this was heading in. It sounded like they had already made up their minds. They just didn’t want to tell her directly.

“We have sent a message to Wunsdorf requesting clarification on your situation” The Medical Director said, “When they get back to us, we will pass it along to you.”

“I see” Kiki replied, half afraid of what she might say if she said anything more.

Once Wunsdorf entered the picture, who knew what would happen. Things would move at the speed of bureaucracy. The matter would inevitably get kicked up the ladder until someone finally determined what they were going to do. For all Kiki knew, it would reach the ears of her father. That would turn this into a real mess if that happened.

“Good” The Captain said, “Now you can get back to your holiday Major.”

Kiki had a sour taste in her mouth as she made her way back to where the boat she had hired was waiting. She had gone hours out her way just so that they could tell her that. It was embarrassing. What was she supposed to do? This was supposed to be her first assignment and it might have just gotten cut short for reasons beyond her control. Was this another situation where she was taking responsibility for the rest of the world when she didn’t need to? Kiki had no idea. Ben would be happy if it meant that she would be going home with him. She would be free to attend her brothers wedding in a few months. Was that her being selfish though?

Climbing down the stairs to the waiting boat, Kiki saw the two men from her security detail and the Islander whose speedboat she had hired looking at her.

“Quick meeting?” The Islander asked.

“Yes” Kiki said, not really wanting to have a conversation.

“Nothing good ever comes of those” The Islander said.

That was an understatement if there ever was one. Here in the Islands things famously moved at a different place. So, a quick meeting was going against the grain.

There maybe an international humanitarian mission to China and depending on the situation the ship may be sent to either Hong Kong or Shanghai which really would be fun.

If General Sun does win in China that would be the greatest victory for Great Britain in the post-war era and it may lead to a "Permanent Understanding" in the status of Hong Kong.

Re: the concerns over the Chinese civil war in regards to Kiki.

Cons: Increased risk of pirate action against the ship & crew. Increased risk of indirect and/or direct action by the Chinese on either side of the civil war. Accidental exposure to combat. Increased risk of Kiki being sent home.

Pros: She gets to attend her brothers wedding. More importantly, she gets to have HER wedding.