Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

Hoyahoo9

Donor
Kiki tried to hide her exasperation, she was only seconds into 1968 and it already sucked.

Please, PM . . . please let Kiki get a clue and the first fluttering of an attitude adjustment in 1968. It would be so disappointing if she were to spend her entire life as a swirling vortex of self-absorbed negativity.

She has come by these tendencies honestly and justifiably; but she just seems so . . . stuck.

With no Holocaust and no Israel ITTL there are a lot more Jews in Poland and they make a connivant scapegoat for the Polish government. It seems that the non-Jewish former Communists were able to make them selves over by becoming Polish nationalists and turning on their Jewish former comrades in order to save their own necks.
While some of the Jews that are joining the Freikorps are former Polish military I wouldn't be surprised if more than a few were from the Marine Infantry as it seems that the Marine Infantry attracts a lot of recruits from the Empire outside of Germany.

As the rules stand for now at this point IOTL without a direct male heir to the Romanian crown it goes to the main branch of the Hohenzollern House and that means of anything happens to King Michael the Louis Ferdinand Jr. becomes the new King of Romania and I have no doubts that Kira sometime before her death made a deal that if King Michael had no sons by a certain time then LF Jr will marry the oldest daughter, too bad that no one had the courtesy to tell LF Jr that...

Next year have Rea plan the Ball because she will shake things up and bring in some big time entertainers to get things going.

ferdi254

Banned
Peabody trust me on this one. NO seriously myopic person (all above 2.5) ever looses his/her glasses. NEVER. Take my glasses away and you are lucky to stare down a G3 and not an MG 3.

Peabody trust me on this one. NO seriously myopic person (all above 2.5) ever looses his/her glasses. NEVER. Take my glasses away and you are lucky to stare down a G3 and not an MG 3.
As someone easily meeting your criteria above, I can tell you I often misplace my glasses. Yes, I'm basically useless without them, but I not infrequently have to hunt around the floor next to my bed to find my glasses in the morning.

Perhaps if you chain them to your head but I have had mine fall off, been knocked off, had the lens pop out and even broken by flying debris. I never "lost" them but removed from my head accidentally, yeah lots of times.

That is why my glasses have rather expensive shatter proof safety glass grade lenses, yes they are prescription lenses, that have saved my eyes on more than one occasion. mislay them, yes. frequently, lose then, never!

As someone easily meeting your criteria above, I can tell you I often misplace my glasses. Yes, I'm basically useless without them, but I not infrequently have to hunt around the floor next to my bed to find my glasses in the morning.
Perhaps if you chain them to your head but I have had mine fall off, been knocked off, had the lens pop out and even broken by flying debris. I never "lost" them but removed from my head accidentally, yeah lots of times.
That is why my glasses have rather expensive shatter proof safety glass grade lenses, yes they are prescription lenses, that have saved my eyes on more than one occasion. mislay them, yes. frequently, lose then, never!

Mine slide off constantly when I wear a mask...

I have three pairs now:
Regular, reading and VDU work and safety glasses for airsoft. I'm generally in arms reach of at least 2 pairs. And my eyesight isn't that bad.
Are contact lenses a thing yet ITTL?

ferdi254

Banned
Contact lenses hardly or they are a glitch like credit cards in rural bavaria early sixties. I am at 10 and 11 and no matter how I get to bed I know where my glasses are. Yes they may get broken in serious accidents but during normal business they do not fall off. Special design.

And the one with the weapons was decidedly NOT a figure of speech. No person with normal eyesight or slightly myopic should underestimate that. EVER.

For those who have some knowledge of German (translation to follow) a song by HRK: Du mußt stärker sein Brille stärker als der Rest Du kriegst keinen Vorsprung, sie nageln Dich am Boden fest.

You need to be stronger glasses stronger than the rest, you will get no advantage they‘ll nail you to the floor.

In the 60s and 70s hardly one in 25 children and young grown ups had glasses. That made them the perfect target of jokes... unless people found out that this was a bad idea.

Last edited:
Modern contact lenses have been around since at least the 1930s, so they should be, but whether or not they are suitable for Kiki is another matter.

I am more convinced than ever that Zella and Louis Jr. will be the last to admit that they are actually a couple, that the Romanian princess is just verifying for herself what is blatantly evident to anyone who knows either of them, and that they (once they finally do admit it to themselves) will either be stunned by the chorus of "Well, duh!", "Finally!" and "What took you so long!" or upset by comments like "Yeah, we know that?!" & "But... haven't you been a couple for a while now?"

The course of True Love will not flow smoothly for Louis Jr. and Zella and it will be a long and arduous journey for those two.
We have not seen them go out on any dates but it has been reported that they have been seen together in public but we don't know in what context.
I think that the both of them want to be more established in their respective fields before admitting to themselves about what their future together holds.
There is a small but negligible age difference as Zella is two years older then Louis Jr. which shouldn't be a big deal but as we all know there will be those who will make it one.
Finally the interaction between Prince Louis Ferdinand and Princess Margareta is going to be noticed and analyzed be the other royal and titled guests at the Ball and that will make it back to the press that covers the various royalty around Europe which will lead to plenty of speculation.

Contact lenses hardly or they are a glitch like credit cards in rural bavaria early sixties. I am at 10 and 11 and no matter how I get to bed I know where my glasses are. Yes they may get broken in serious accidents but during normal business they do not fall off. Special design.

And the one with the weapons was decidedly NOT a figure of speech. No person with normal eyesight or slightly myopic should underestimate that. EVER.

For those who have some knowledge of German (translation to follow) a song by HRK: Du mußt stärker sein Brille stärker als der Rest Du kriegst keinen Vorsprung, sie nageln Dich am Boden fest.

You need to be stronger glasses stronger than the rest, you will get no advantage they‘ll nail you to the floor.

In the 60s and 70s hardly one in 25 children and young grown ups had glasses. That made them the perfect target of jokes... unless people found out that this was a bad idea.
In a TL with no Nazi autarky, a much less damaging Second War to German infrastructure, no war damage to make up in the Netherlands, Belgium, France, Italy and the UK, plus no exodus of Jewish and anti Nazi intellectuals from Germany and no-one in Western Europe running up huge war debt and Russia and Korea joining the global economy decades earlier, credit cards in the rural Bavaria of the 1960s may not be a glitch you know. In some ways TTL should be slightly more advanced than OTL, particularly in respect of consumer goods.

Part 111, Chapter 1828
Chapter One Thousand Eight Hundred Twenty-Eight

6th January 1967

Mitte, Berlin

After the staggeringly disappointing ending of New Year’s Eve, her and Ben on the floor trying to find her glasses while everyone around them had no idea what was going on. Kiki had decided that she needed to find different company before she lost her mind. Spending a couple days with her youngest sister and the sisters of sorts who had joined her had been nice, but then Charlotte had decided they needed to talk and that had upset the applecart. Presently, Kiki was in the company of someone she knew would listen attentively and not try to offer unwanted help in return.

“So, Poppa is traveling to Vietnam to celebrate the Tet Holiday with the Emperor of that country” Kiki said, “Vicky is accompanying him this time so we will have the house in Jena all to ourselves.”

Rauchbier looked up at Kiki with his ears perked up because she was talking to him, wagging his tail happily. He was wearing his red sweater and had boots on his paws the way he did every winter. It was something that caused everyone they encountered to talk about what a handsome boy he was. Kiki had gone running in the Tiergarten and had taken Rauchbier with her, the cold winter air had been invigorating as she had run through the park. Eventually taking a break, Kiki was sitting on a bench talking to him. Her bodyguards were keeping a respectable distance, the First Foot had gotten wise to her and had shifted their tactics to make it a lot more difficult for her to outpace or otherwise ditch them.

Tomorrow, Kiki was celebrating Orthodox Christmas because the Metropolitan of Berlin had made a point of inviting her. The next day she would be heading back to Anhalt to resume her internship. She had five months until the second State Examination and would be one step closer towards meeting her ultimate goal. Charlotte had asked her what she planned to do once she got her Doctorate and was licensed to practice medicine. And Kiki didn’t have the faintest idea. For decades that singular goal that had consumed everything. Charlotte had suggested that she had a year or so to come up with something and it was rather likely that Benjamin would ask her to marry him around that time. Kiki’s stepmother saying that idea aloud had caused her brain to completely fuzz out.

All the things that she had not thought about because they were all off in the future were approaching with alarming speed. For the last few days Kiki had walked around feeling like she was on the verge of panic because of that. She wished that she could be like Rauchbier, he only existed in the eternal now and seemed a lot happier for it.

Near Michałowice, Poland

After the events in Lwów, where rioting had been put down a week earlier, the Government was taking no chances. A column had been dispatched to Krakow to help the police prevent a recurrence. The Interior Minister had issued a public statement that the Prime Minister had endorsed on New Year’s Eve that was hardly controversial. The gist was that Poland belonged to the Poles and Government policy should reflect that. The result had been days of violence, which no one Bogdan talked to seemed to understand. All that Kapral Bogdan Gajos understood was that he was tired of sitting on a bench seat in the back of a lorry as it slowly made its way south. It seemed like the driver of the lorry knew as much about driving as a dog knew about playing a trumpet, so the men in back had been thrown around. It wouldn’t have been so bad if it weren’t freezing cold as well. The canvas cover over the bed of the lorry did nothing to keep them warm.

That was when the lorry slammed on the brakes, throwing everyone into the back of the cab. Bogdan could hear the others cursing at the driver even as they untangled themselves. Looking out the back, he saw the Kapitan running down the column shouting about something before looking at him.

“You lot, out now!” The Kapitan yelled.

For lack of anything better to do, Bogdan got out of the lorry followed by the others. Up the column he could hear the Kapitan yelling at someone up front. Walking up to the front of the column, Bogdan saw that the road had been cut. It wasn’t just torn up either, where the road had been was a ditch a few meters wide and several meters deep that continued in both directions on either side of the road into the forest.

From what the Kapitan was yelling, they were supposed to be doing something about this. Though Bogdan wasn’t sure exactly what besides turning around and going back the way they had come. It was then that he heard several loud cracks and saw several trees drop onto the road behind them. This caused the Kapitan to become completely red-faced as he demanded that the Radio Operator come forward that instant so that he could get reinforcements to kill the dogs who were bedeviling them. It was then that Bogdan noticed that they were between two hills and there was a low overcast. The radio was useless here. Whoever was out there chose this place for a reason.

Then Bogdan had an intrusive thought. The radio was useless for them, but for marking out an Officer and a Radio Operator it was excellent. It was then that he heard what sounded like the buzzing of hornets and the low thuds as the Kapitan was struck by several rifle bullets. Not waiting to see what happened next Bogdan dove for the nearest ditch as the crack of rifle shots filled the air and there was pandemonium throughout the column. He could see that others were attempting to shoot back into the forest. After a few minutes, it slacked off as they realized that they couldn’t see what they were shooting at.

And it was starting to snow.

Last edited:
As for the immediate future for Kiki it seems that she will be called up as part of the peacekeeping force that is going in to restore order in Poland.

So Kiki is panicking again, as per normal. At least her bodyguards finally seem to be realising how to keep tabs on her.

As for Poland, it would seem as if the nationalists currently in charge don't understand how the Demon Murphy operates. They have enemies and they have made plans to deal with those enemies. However, those plans have encountered Murphy's maxim: 'No plan survives contact with the enemy'.

She wished that she could be like Rauchbier, he only existed in the eternal now and seemed a lot happier for it.
Eat. Sleep. Chase things. Play with Mommy. Get laid. Explore while trying to figure out every scent.

Yeah, of course.

Kinda wonder how Rauchbier took the death of Hera. Hera scared him, but she was part of his life, so it'd probably confuse the poor pup.

Then Bogdan had an intrusive thought. The radio was useless for them, but for marking out an Officer and a Radio Operator it was excellent.
Smart. Guess we'll be seeing more of this character in the future?