Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

Fortunately, this is not a century ago, so I can tell Albrecht that it’s not up to me and to talk to Victoria himself. I’m sure that will be a fun conversation if it ever happens.”

Two scenarios I see arising from such a conversation if it happens...

Scenario A:

VICKY: Get lost, with the greatest respect Your Majesty.

Scenario B:

VICKY: Hmmmm...OK.

ALBRECHT: Excellent! I...

VICKY: Though of course I'll be needing ladies-in-waiting.

ALBRECHT: Oh yes, of course...

VICKY: So a...very good friend of mine will be filling that role. Her name's Anna - she'll need a minor title of nobility, of course, I'll leave the details to you.

ALBRECHT: ...Fine.

Two scenarios I see arising from such a conversation if it happens...

Scenario A:

VICKY: Get lost, with the greatest respect Your Majesty.

Scenario B:

VICKY: Hmmmm...OK.

ALBRECHT: Excellent! I...

VICKY: Though of course I'll be needing ladies-in-waiting.

ALBRECHT: Oh yes, of course...

VICKY: So a...very good friend of mine will be filling that role. Her name's Anna - she'll need a minor title of nobility, of course, I'll leave the details to you.

ALBRECHT: ...Fine.
Apologies Theg, but pretty sure the response from Albrecht would be more:

Albrecht: My son has a particular valet he wants as well. I was just going to stick the Royal Order of St George on him, so that should alleviate any suspicion.

Apologies Theg, but pretty sure the response from Albrecht would be more:

Albrecht: My son has a particular valet he wants as well. I was just going to stick the Royal Order of St George on him, so that should alleviate any suspicion.

Yeah, you're dead right - that'd definitely be the response.

Vicky is, or was, more socially conservative than her sisters. This is partly what drives Rea nuts at times. However, I don't think that Vicky will go for Albrecht of Bavaria's idea. Before she had met Anne, maybe. Now? I just don't see her risking that relationship. Albrecht is a little too late with his suggestion, although I suspect that the changing times might make it unnecessary.

I suspect that the changing times might make it unnecessary
The Times May be a Changing but this is still conservative Catholic Bavaria we are talking about.
Vicky may want children of her own and she is not going to in her mind embarrass her family by having them out of wedlock, remember this is still the 1960's and female royals did not "behave" that way.
As for her "Great Personal Friend" Anna, she may be miffed about going back in to the closet but outside of the University community and the big cities Berlin and Hamburg life for the LGBTQ community is not exactly a fair and good place to be and this will provide her with some protection.

The recent elections in Russia had placed the Monarchist/Nationalist block firmly in control of the Duma. While that was good news for Czar Georgy, it wasn’t for nearly everyone else from the Black Sea to the Baltic who nervously watched a resurgent Russia.
It looks like that Czar Georgy had his thumb on the scale during the election, this allows him to exert power behind the scenes while remaining above the fray and making whomever is the Prime Minister of Russia the fall guy if anything goes wrong.
The Czar is probably getting a piece of the action from the revenue from gas,oil, and other natural resources that is being exported the only question is whether or not it is legitimate.
By now the Czar should be one of the richest person in the world and he is using part of his fortune for things like building hospitals and schools and providing scholarships as a way to get the people of Russia to see him as a benevolent ruler that looks out for them.
In the twenty plus years since he came in to power the post Soviet bureaucracy is now more firmly in his grasp and the leadership of the military should be very loyal to him and is one of the cornerstone of his power.

The Times May be a Changing but this is still conservative Catholic Bavaria we are talking about.
Vicky may want children of her own and she is not going to in her mind embarrass her family by having them out of wedlock, remember this is still the 1960's and female royals did not "behave" that way.
As for her "Great Personal Friend" Anna, she may be miffed about going back in to the closet but outside of the University community and the big cities Berlin and Hamburg life for the LGBTQ community is not exactly a fair and good place to be and this will provide her with some protection.
Conservative, Catholic Bavaria is an issue for Albrecht & his son. If Albrecht has another heir, the throne can got to his son, then pass on to the next in line if there is no "issue". This keeps the throne in the family and having a reigning prince be a "Lifelong Bachelor" with a private lifestyle is a 'safe' and comfortably acceptable option, rumours be damned.

Vicky also has a few options of her own.
First, as an Imperial Princess, a 'Dear Friend & Companion' would still be something the people expect to see; Ladies-in-waiting sort of thing.
Second, the people of the German Empire are now used to seeing women in a far more independent role/lifestyle, who do not necessarily get married ASAP.
Third, unwed/single mothers are far more common & accepted throughout the Empire due to WW1 & the Soviet War/WW2, even in the more conservative, Catholic regions of Bavaria & Poland. Remember that Asia's pregnancy was, as a member of the Imperial Court, only a relatively minor scandal and that was because the father of her child wanted to openly acknowledge his paternity over the objections of his wife. If Vicky decides to have a child, there will be a scandal, true, and there will be some damage to the reputation of the family, but she is not as close to the throne as she once was & a growing segment of the population will just go 'Meh, she made a mistake and chose to keep the baby. Big Deal.' And her defense in regards to the rest is simple: Attack. Go on the offensive. Do not let the conservatives or the Establishment set the agenda.

'It's none of your business who the father is and would you really prefer I had an abortion? I thought you lot were against that sort of thing? I do wish you would make up your mind, you are horrified that I'm having the baby but you don't want me to abort it? You cannot have it both ways. Demanding that I do both makes you a hypocrite.'

Fourth, conservative Catholic Bavaria, after the scandals that were revealed in the wake of the Church abuse scandals in Ireland, probably isn't quite as staunchly Catholic as it once was. Still strong, but people will not be as accepting of any religious condemnation as a result. The conservative streak will still be strong though, but the disapproval will be more on a personal note. This will still cause major problems for those without rank & power, but at least the religious approbation will be attenuated to some extent.

Part 110, Chapter 1795
Chapter One Thousand Seven Hundred Ninety-Five

13th May 1967

Jena

Kiki dragging herself out of bed late in the morning on a Saturday wasn’t anything out of the ordinary. It was her displaying that Vicky’s guest, King Albrecht of Bavaria, was just one more thing on the already lengthy list of things she didn’t care about that was most annoying. Ever since Kiki had moved in with Vicky a couple years earlier, she had gotten her fill of her older sister’s obnoxious behavior. Today was no different as Kiki padded barefoot down the stairs in one of the old faded Football jerseys and grey trackpants that she slept in with Rauchbier at her heels. Her hair was a bird’s nest of loose curls and the only nod towards even being out of bed was that she had found her glasses before leaving her room. Possibly the only redeemable aspect of the situation was that Benjamin had stayed in Berlin over the weekend, otherwise this would have been beyond awkward. As it was, Kiki’s presence distracted from several questions that Vicky had. Just why Albrecht had come to see her this morning?

“Set anyone else up for failure this morning Albrecht?” Kiki asked as she helped herself to the coffee that Vicky had not intended to prepare for her.

“Your suitor seems to have been intelligent enough to have worked out the situation for himself” Albrecht replied, “And it was hardly my intention to set him up to fail.”

“Keep telling yourself that” Kiki muttered as she took the mug of coffee and headed for the back door to let Rauchbier out. The two bodyguards who had accompanied Albrecht this morning wilted under a withering glare from Kiki as she walked out into the back garden.

“I am terribly sorry about Kristina” Vicky said, “She has never liked mornings and has gotten worse lately since she started commuting to Halle.”

Albrecht sat there across the kitchen table with an odd look on his face. Vicky had to wonder what he was thinking after Kiki had been so unpleasant.

“Regardless” Albrecht said, “I came here to see you because I have a highly unusual request that I understand is probably asking too much of you.”

“Yes…” Vicky replied with some trepidation.

“I am in searching for a woman from the right sort of family to be a bride for my son who has… some unfortunate predilections. I’m sure you’ve heard the rumors” Albrecht said, “Among your sisters, I have met Kristina and Marie Cecilie and any fool could see why they would be wildly unacceptable.”

“You mean you are looking for a beard because Franz is said to be a dear friend of Old Fritz” Vicky said, and Albrecht winced. “Don’t you have more than one son?”

“If I went the old route and had Franz committed to a Monastic Order, I would have Max to contend with” Albrecht replied, “He is far more ambitious and driven than his brother. While those are laudable traits, he lacks the head for the administrative portion of being King and is too impulsive. He would have the treasury empty and revolutionaries at the palace gates inside a year.”

“Wouldn’t the Landtag have something to say about that?” Vicky asked, only to see Albrecht wince again.

“That is just it, Victoria” Albrecht said, “You are asking the right questions and have the qualities which would make you a fine Queen, who would also be acceptable to the people of Bavaria.”

“I see” Vicky replied, astonished at the sheer irony of this situation. If some hack writer threw it into a sitcom no one would take it seriously because the entire scene was beyond absurd.

“As I said, this is highly unusual and probably asking too much” Albrecht said, “I am prepared to be extremely generous if the union between you and my son were to produce an acceptable heir or two. An expert who I consulted with told me that is very easily done these days in a laboratory with absolutely no question of paternity and that you would free to live your life however you please except for the occasional public function.”

Vicky saw Kiki out in the back garden throwing a ball for Rauchbier. It was shocking how a dog that seemed content to lazily go about his days could be so quick off the mark once he started running. Kiki actually looked a bit happy out there like she was typically when she thought that no one was looking. She had said that Albrecht’s son Franz had actually proposed to her years earlier before she had left for Laupheim to join the FSR. Kiki had done that knowing full well the consequences of that action towards her reputation, something that Vicky had again and again discovered she lacked the courage to do.

“That would be a life altering decision” Vicky said, “Can you give me time to think about it?”

Albrecht gave her a sly, tight smile. That was about as much as could be expected from a man as stern as he was, his thinking was clearly that she hadn’t told him no.

“Take as much time as you need” Albrecht said before he got up from the chair to leave. As Vicky watched him leave, the only thought that came to mind was that Anna was going to laugh herself silly when she found out about this. On one hand Vicky had spoken to Anna about how she still wanted a family someday. This would be a way to go about doing that with no questions being asked. On the other, the irony of the whole thing would not be lost on her.

See, I'm torn.

On the one hand, this genuinely is a good deal for Vicky. It fucking sucks, obviously, but unless a lot of people get very cool on a lot of things right now, it is the best she's going to get.

On the other, this is terrible that the poor woman should have to be in a position where she needs to be a beard and in the closet.

I honestly think her best bet would be to talk with Franz, ironically, he's the only other person in the world who might have an inkling of being stuck in this situation.

Last edited:
"oh poor Vicky, she married the Prince but he would rather be off shooting and partying with his friend than attending to his Princess. Its a good thing she has such a good friend as Anna to keep her company..."

Vicky, Anna, Fritz, (and Friend), plus we the readers are laughing at this naivety.

See, I'm torn.

On the one hand, this genuinely is a good deal for Vicky. It fucking sucks, obviously, but unless a lot of people get very cool on a lot of things right now, it is tge best she's going to get.

On the other, this is terrible that the poor woman should have to be in a position where she needs to be a beard and in the closet.

I honestly think her best bet would be to talk with Franz, ironically, he's the only other person in the world who might have an inkling of being stuck in this situation.
It really all hinges on the personality of Franz. While you are right that it is hypocritical, many velvet marriages were actually very happy (non-)relationships. James and Alvide Lees-Milne for instance. Someone in Hollywood (Hedda Hopper I think) cynically observed that one could always tell the velvet marriages- they stayed married and if one became ill, their spouse always rushed to their bedside and nursed them back to health.

It really all hinges on the personality of Franz. While you are right that it is hypocritical, many velvet marriages were actually very happy (non-)relationships. James and Alvide Lees-Milne for instance. Someone in Hollywood (Hedda Hopper I think) cynically observed that one could always tell the velvet marriages- they stayed married and if one became ill, their spouse always rushed to their bedside and nursed them back to health.

by "velvet" do you mean "political"?

Exactly.

If Vicky and Franz actually wound up becoming good friends, then it would be a good solution. If they wound up being totally incompatible, then I would have to think Vicky would be better off not going through it. Especially if the pre-condition is that a child be born.

No, or not exclusively. Back in the early and mid twentieth centuries, there was considerable prejudice against LGBT people and in most countries, gay relationships were illegal. There was also considerable social and familial pressure to marry and have children. Gay men marrying straight women didn't usually work well and led to scandals and marriage breakdowns. So there began a trend of gay men marrying lesbian women and leading separate sexual lives. Both provided a beard for the other, no one was left sexually unsatisfied and no-one's feelings were hurt.

'Velvet' means that one or both are "Friends of Dorothy/Old Fritz", depending on which side of the Atlantic you are on, and the 'marriage' was intended to protect/hide that fact from the prudes.

Edit: Ninja'd.

Addendum:

Does anyone else get the feeling that Albrecht has figured out that Vicky has far more in common with Franz than either of her sisters? And that he knows that she wants kids & is therefore more likely to at least entertain the possibilities inherent in his proposal?

Last edited:
'Velvet' means that one or both are "Friends of Dorothy/Old Fritz", depending on which side of the Atlantic you are on, and the 'marriage' was intended to protect/hide that fact from the prudes.

Edit: Ninja'd.

Addendum:

Does anyone else get the feeling that Albrecht has figured out that Vicky has far more in common with Franz than either of her sisters? And that he knows that she wants kids & is therefore more likely to at least entertain the possibilities inherent in his proposal?
Quite probably, Albrecht seems to be quite the operator and otherwise socially conservative gay people have been the pillars of the court/aristocratic establishment for centuries.

Some really good points raised there. Although hinted at does Albrecht really know that Vicki is gay? After all only a very few people in her family know, even her PPO team would be chosen because they are tight lipped (among other qualities I’m sure).

Quite probably, Albrecht seems to be quite the operator and otherwise socially conservative gay people have been the pillars of the court/aristocratic establishment for centuries.
My read on him is that he is a capable man at his own game, and that is the Game of Thrones (badumtish), he might actually be a loving and supporting father of Franz, actually I'd say he definitely is considering he is willing to go to lengths and doesn't appear actively repulsed, but his primary concern is keeping the Bavarian monarchy a going concern.

He thinks that Vicky could be the perfect solution to this from his perspective, and so any distaste he may have over the situation (easier to love and care for your own child that is gay than anyone elses) is easily put aside for his goal.

Last edited:
Some really good points raised there. Although hinted at does Albrecht really know that Vicki is gay? After all only a very few people in her family know, even her PPO team would be chosen because they are tight lipped (among other qualities I’m sure).
He may be willing to make a gamble that she is. I mean, if her behavior with Anna is any way similar to Franz and any partner he has, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to notice a couple of overlapping patterns.