Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

“I don’t care what excuses you have. I will shoot anyone without a legitimate excuse to be in here if they are not out of my sight in one minute” Kiki said flatly.

Anyone who knew Kiki understood that she wasn’t bluffing this time, and just how likely it was that she had a gun. Which resulted in a mass exodus for the door. Only King Albrecht stood there for a few seconds before giving her a tight smile.

“Your loyalty to your sister is admirable but I think that you are painting yourself into a corner Kristina” Albrecht said, “You might want to familiarize yourself with the legacy of Anton Chekhov.”

Albrecht needs to be reminded that it is the 20th Century, not the days of the Holy Roman Empire. There is absolutely no damn good reason for anyone else to be in that room, including the King of Bavaria, 'just because they are members of the Court and are 'curious'".

The pretense that they had put out for public consumption was that their presence in the clinic was due to the lingering effects of a wound that Franz had sustained in Korea causing them difficulties. That wasn’t entirely untrue, Franz had led a Bavarian Army Company in Korea and he had been wounded in action. That was enough to keep anyone from asking too many questions.

An excellent and plausible cover story for utilizing IVF.

She had asked three people to stay in the room for this. Kiki, because she understood the medical terminology and could be trusted to always look out for Vicky’s personal interests. Anna was present as Vicky’s Courtly appointed friend and companion, what she jokingly called their Boston marriage in private. Franz was here of course, because of the role that he was in fact playing and more importantly to keep up appearances. He had been there holding her hand through the entire process and being a wonderful, supportive friend. The Doctor who was conducting this procedure was one of the foremost experts in the field. If he knew something was up, he was keeping quiet about it and regardless of that, he was being paid very handsomely for his discretion.

Vicky has chosen her support people very well; the love of her life, her best (male) friend & husband, and her sister, one of the two people that she absolutely knows will take on the entire world for her.

“That is all” The Doctor said after a few minutes, much to Vicky’s relief. “We will know more in a few weeks, won’t we.”

That was when the full implications of what was ahead hit Vicky.

The ' Oh crap, I'm going to be a mother. I am soooo not ready for this' moment.

The scratching noise from the window of her bedroom scared Sophie when she had woken up to it. Then she saw movement in the darkness, followed by more noise and two glowing amber eyes. Fear left her paralyzed for an extremely long time, what felt like an eternity. Then it passed when Sophie realized that whatever was sitting outside the window wasn’t making any aggressive moves. Looking closer the silhouette of a familiar figure resolved itself, she saw two pointy ears perk up and additional scratching. Getting out of her bed, Sophie opened the window and the room filled with cool night air that smelled of spring, damp earth, blossoms, and growing things. It was still incredibly early, and the sleeping neighborhood was totally silent. Cheshire, Marie Alexandra’s tabby cat dropped through the window into the bedroom. Sophie had no idea how he had gotten so high up the side of the house to reach her window, or why he had picked her window. She was about to open the door to let him into the house when Cheshire jumped up on her bed and mewed at her.

You do not adopt a cat, ever, not even when you go to a shelter. The cat always adopts you.

Poor Vicky - not a pleasant experience at all.

My wife and I went through this 3 times, only the the last embryo of the third round of IVF took. Unfortunately, it was not to be and we lost the baby at the 12 week mark.

The harvesting part of the procedure is rough on women, especially with all the elevated hormones from the fertility drugs beforehand. The implantation procedure has its own issues. We men really do have it easy during all of this, unless surgery is required to obtain the sperm that is.

There is no fucking way anyone who doesn't actually need to be in that room should be allowed in that room. Not even medical students or the frigging father are allowed to stay if the woman decides she doesn't want them in there.

My wife and I went through this 3 times, only the the last embryo of the third round of IVF took. Unfortunately, it was not to be and we lost the baby at the 12 week mark.

The harvesting part of the procedure is rough on women, especially with all the elevated hormones from the fertility drugs beforehand. The implantation procedure has its own issues. We men really do have it easy during all of this, unless surgery is required to obtain the sperm that is.

There is no fucking way anyone who doesn't actually need to be in that room should be allowed in that room. Not even medical students or the frigging father are allowed to stay if the woman decides she doesn't want them in there.

I’m really sorry.

And yeah. I agree entirely.

Albrecht needs to be reminded that it is the 20th Century, not the days of the Holy Roman Empire. There is absolutely no damn good reason for anyone else to be in that room, including the King of Bavaria, 'just because they are members of the Court and are 'curious'".

Indeed.

An excellent and plausible cover story for utilizing IVF.

Very much so. The best cover stories always have some truth to them...

Vicky has chosen her support people very well; the love of her life, her best (male) friend & husband, and her sister, one of the two people that she absolutely knows will take on the entire world for her.

Yep. No, she’s got the perfect network.

The ' Oh crap, I'm going to be a mother. I am soooo not ready for this' moment.

Mind you, from a material POV, it’s going to be easier for her than many people - as a royal, there’s any number of servants who’ll be there to handle things if Vicky wants to do work/to spend time with Anna/to just take some ‘me’ time. She wouldn’t even have to get up in the night if she didn’t want to.

Heck, as a royal she wouldn’t even need to handle the raising. Various servants and tutors during the early stages, then the appropriate school plus continued servant input... Don’t get me wrong, obviously we know she won’t just abandon the kid to its paid minders :p Part of the reason she agreed to the wedding was to have a child of her own, after all. But she does have the resources and support necessary to allow her to continue to pursue the things that motivate her and have her own life while still being a mother, so she can enjoy the best of both worlds.

You do not adopt a cat, ever, not even when you go to a shelter. The cat always adopts you.

Well of course :p

The procedure that was done was most likely Artificial Insemination instead of IVF because there would have been more medical personnel involved with the implantation.
IVF was first successfully done in Great Britain in 1978 and with the ITTL technologies being about five years ahead over IOTL IVF is still a few years away from happening.

The procedure that was done was most likely Artificial Insemination instead of IVF because there would have been more medical personnel involved with the implantation.
IVF was first successfully done in Great Britain in 1978 and with the ITTL technologies being about five years ahead over IOTL IVF is still a few years away from happening.
Point. Still unnerving though.

Part 112, Chapter 1846
Chapter One Thousand Eight Hundred Forty-Six

17th May 1968

Kiel

“If you could excuse me early today, Sir?” Louis Junior asked as he concluded the morning’s business.

“I assume that you want to pay your respects like everyone else” Admiral Teichert said, “You didn’t need to ask.”

With that the Grand Admiral went back to his work. Since Louis had been assigned to Grand Admiral’s Staff, he’d had no idea where he had stood with the former U-Boat Commander despite having worked with him for the last several months. Every day new reports came in from around the world and all of them had to read, summarized, and then orders had to be sent back. The vast logistics network of the Fleet had to be kept moving and any hiccups sent a cascade of calls and recriminations up and down the chain of command. Then there were the hush-hush projects that needed to be handled the same way except Louis had frequently found himself having to talk around what was really happening to someone who wasn’t cleared to know about the projects in question. It all made for extremely long days.

Leaving the Admiral’s office, Louis was putting on his coat and hat when he was joined by a dozen other Junior Officers from Teichert’s staff. As a Kapitänleutnant with an array of medals, Louis was among the most senior of them. He had also held Command of a Flotilla in a foreign port and overwintered in Antarctica. Those were things that put him head and shoulders above his peers, it also put a considerable distance between himself and them even before they learned his name. Today felt different though as they made their way to the waterfront of the old Naval Arsenal where the last of the Fleet’s battleships were moored.

After her name had been stricken from the registry, the SMS Preussen, the leading ship of her Class and the Flag Ship of the Pacific Fleet during the Second World War, was being towed out of port one last time. She was bound for Danzig along with her sister ship SMS Rhineland, where what remained of her would be cut up for scrap. There had been talk of preserving her as a museum ship, but for a variety of reasons that had not been possible. The ongoing effort to save the SMS Brandenburg had been deemed far more likely to succeed, she was far newer, requiring less in the way of repair and maintenance. The Preussen had served in the Pacific War from the very start and it showed.

Standing on the concrete embankment, Louis took off his hat in a sign of respect as the tugboats pulled the Preussen slowly past. Across the water, he could see thousands of people on the waterfront and atop buildings, standing anywhere they could get a view.

“Those fucking jackals, like bringing a whore to a funeral” Louis heard a man next to him say and he saw what the man was looking at. Some distance away, a small group of foreign naval observers were making sure the Preussen was truly going to the breakers. Battleships were still seen as strategic assets and one being disposed of had to be well documented to maintain the balance of world power. Even as the man said that, Louis could feel the crowd growing angry and knew that something needed to be done before anyone did anything stupid. Even as that thought occurred to him, he had another. This was the Navy, what was a funeral if the men couldn’t give the departed a proper send off?

Pushing his way through the crowd, Louis reached one of the tall lampposts that held the floodlights that lit up the Naval Armory at night. Climbing up it as far as he could, Louis was facing thousands of sailors who were suddenly focused on him.

“Three cheers for the Grand Empress of the High Seas Fleet!” Louis yelled.

At first, he was unsure of anyone had heard him. Then he heard that call being repeated up and down the waterfront. Then someone started hurrahing, which was taken up by others. It was ragged at first, but the men started coordinating it through long practice. It was a lot more than just three cheers for the Preussen. Then ships started blasting their horns in the harbor and matters took a life of their own. Louis could see the observers fretting over the about face that things had taken. They were here for the funeral, by God they were getting to witness the starting of the wake. Sliding back down the lamppost, Louis was handed his hat, which he hadn’t even noticed that he had dropped. Others were slapping him on the back.

“Thank you for that, Sir” One of the Sailors said, Louis just shrugged. Keeping the crews out of the wrong sort of trouble was his job.

The next day, the Grand Admiral asked him exactly what had happened. Louis told him the truth; the men had cheered in celebration of grand ship as she passed into history. Teichert had just looked at him suspiciously and let him go. Everyone knew that the Grand Admiral knew far more about what happened in Kiel than he let on. It wasn’t like the prior era that the old salts talked about, where Admiral von Schmidt knew what you had for breakfast and what tune you were whistling when you came back from three days liberty the month before. Still, it was clear that he kept his ear to the ground.

That right there is a good officer on the field making the right call that the observers my have some odd reports is not of his problem.

Someone just got another entry into his jacket, not to mention his high high ups finding out that there really is something there and not something just added because he is the Kaisers son and someone else was helping him do it. Ahhh to have Grand Admiral Schmidt around to point him in the right direction.

If GA Schmidt was still around, Louis Jr would have been sent to the Luftwaffe. The last thing the establishment needs is a Schmidt Protege with the ear of the Kaiser. x'D

Well, actually, it's exactly what Germany needs, it's the last thing the rest of the world needs.

This is my first comment on this thread. I know this is a bit off-topic, but often times when I'm reading the German names and occasionally in the dialogue I kind of get a kick out of it since I have pretty good Idea of what the names mean. This is primarily due my mother tongue being Afrikaans, the language can be best described as a strange version of Dutch that evolved closer to Belgian, Dutch being then again a German dialect turned language.
BTW this is only my oppinion.

Some distance away, a small group of foreign naval observers were making sure the Preussen was truly going to the breakers.
Once again another funeral where some of the people that are attending are there to make sure the deceased is really dead and is never coming back.
Prince Louis Ferdinand has just impressed the Grand Admiral of the KLM and has won the admiration of the enlisted ranks with his quick action to defuse the potential stupidity that may have happened.
From my perspective LF Jr. is defiantly marked to be a potential Grand Admiral in the future, ironically the main roadblock to this may be the fact that he is an Imperial Prince who's brother is the Emperor and the Chancellor, Defense Ministry, and the members of the Reichstag who are the ones who really makes that decision may not want someone that close to the throne to have that much real power.

Pushing his way through the crowd, Louis reached one of the tall lampposts that held the floodlights that lit up the Naval Armory at night. Climbing up it as far as he could, Louis was facing thousands of sailors who were suddenly focused on him.

“Three cheers for the Grand Empress of the High Seas Fleet!” Louis yelled.

At first, he was unsure of anyone had heard him. Then he heard that call being repeated up and down the waterfront. Then someone started hurrahing, which was taken up by others. It was ragged at first, but the men started coordinating it through long practice. It was a lot more than just three cheers for the Preussen. Then ships started blasting their horns in the harbor and matters took a life of their own. Louis could see the observers fretting over the about face that things had taken. They were here for the funeral, by God they were getting to witness the starting of the wake. Sliding back down the lamppost, Louis was handed his hat, which he hadn’t even noticed that he had dropped. Others were slapping him on the back.

“Thank you for that, Sir” One of the Sailors said, Louis just shrugged. Keeping the crews out of the wrong sort of trouble was his job.
When word of Louis' act reaches the Naval Academy at Murwik, I wonder if Oberbootsman Reier incorporates this example of leadership into his homilies of what makes a good officer, in between drilling the cadets to his chosen standard of perfection of course?

Part 112, Chapter 1847
Chapter One Thousand Eight Hundred Forty-Seven

11th May 1968

Tempelhof, Berlin

Part of Kat’s job with the KSK was to be aware of the mindsets of people in other parts of the world. It helped to understand that whenever someone somewhere inevitably did something stupid. Today that involved a feature length cartoon that had been produced by a studio in Japan. Kat had watched it a few weeks earlier. The Japanese had turned to art, particularly animation, to process the national trauma they had endured a generation earlier. Unfortunately for Kat, someone doing something stupid had happened a lot closer to home than she would have liked.

“How was I supposed to know?” Tatiana kept asking Kat who really wanted to slap her oldest daughter at that moment but understood that it would solve nothing.

What was supposed to have been a fun afternoon of ice cream and cinema for the girls had turned into a traumatic experience for Marie and Sophie. The movie that they had wanted to see was a feature length animated film from Japan whose name translated loosely as Dragons in the night, named for a crackling noise that bombs make when they are dropped from the Stratosphere and the distant thrum of turboprop engines. The older of the two characters lies to her little brother by telling him that it is the noise that dragons make as they shelter in the forest and a nearby marshalling yard is being carpet bombed.

If Tatiana had known the history and geography depicted in the film, she would have understood the difficult topics it addressed. It was set in the closing months of the Pacific War depicted teenaged girl and her younger brother who lived in Korea until they were forced to flee south in a harrowing journey to Pusan and eventually to the safety of Japan across the Korean Strait. The twist at the end of the film was that at the point where any other movie would have rolled credits at the happy ending, most people in the audience were left silently screaming at them that the safety is just an illusion when the uncle who takes them in lives just a few kilometers from the Kure Naval Arsenal. The result was a gut punch that came at the end of the film with about as graphic a depiction of the Night of Whispers as had ever been made.

Kat probably knew the details of Operation Quartum better than anyone else. How Louis Ferdinand and Augustus Lang had signed off on the operation along with the relevant heads of the various service branches. They had understood that in doing so they had condemned thousands to die with the stroke of a pen. Louis Ferdinand had made it clear that he understood the ultimate responsibility was his alone and that he would eventually have to answer for it. Lang had said almost the exact same thing in the public statement announcing to the world what had taken place. Kat remembered watching that and thinking about how the tyrants they had defeated in that war would have used those terrible weapons and not felt a twinge of conscience in doing so.

Now decades later, Kat was forced to have to explain the realities of war to two children as gently and possible because their older sister had failed to make an informed choice. She hoped that Tatiana would learn something from this incident, but she doubted that it would. It seemed like nothing short of a sledgehammer between the eyes got through to Tatiana these days.

Near the Ecuador-Peruvian Frontier

The situation was complicated. Beyond the usual territorial beef that the Ecuadorians and the Peruvians had been having with each other since time out of mind, the Chileans and the Argentinians had each taken a side in this conflict with the Brazilians staying neutral. The Bolivians stated position was that they were neutral, but they were ignoring a lot of men and supplies from Argentina that were crossing their country.

The Chileans had long been suspicious of their eastern neighbor but had never wanted to take them on directly. Then Ecuador decided to press their territorial claims in Northern Peru and that had escalated into war of words. The sort of thing that swiftly turned into shooting war in South America. Chile and the United States had immediately seen the opportunity that represented. They just had to keep the Argentine backed Peruvians from rolling over Ecuadorian Army in the meantime.

That was where Ritchie came into the picture. The 1st SFG had been deployed to Quito to act as military advisors. Because he was fluent in Spanish, Ritchie had been thrust to the fore on this mission and he had found himself talking directly with José María Velasco Ibarra, the President of Ecuador acting as a go between for Parker as they had explained the exact mission of the 1st SFG in his country and the Rules of Engagement. Later that night the President had told Ritchie that a man of his experience could be a Colonel inside a year in Ecuador. Later, he had talked with Parker about what had happened, and Parker had just laughed. He said that it was hardly a surprise. Of all the Green Beret presently in Ecuador, he looked the most like what was considered a proper soldier south of the Rio Grande. Parker had told him that he needed to keep his retirement options open, he wasn’t going to be in the U.S. Special Forces forever and living like a king in South America had its appeal. To Ritchie the most shocking part had been when he had realized that Major Parker wasn’t joking.

To escape the politics of the Capital, Ritchie had decided that he needed to get a feel for the frontier. What he found was mountains and jungle in the middle of fucking nowhere. He had once read an account of the Gallipoli Campaign that referred to the landscape as Bastard Country. He knew that was what he was looking at when he saw it.

Last edited: