Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

Well, the French basically got marginalized and pushed off to the side here, especially if Britain-Spain-Germany are pals and Vietnam is thoroughly in the German sphere. I wonder if there’s any crazy revanchist or Porto-fascist types running around in France to cause trouble, maybe even Sauvageot style.

Either that or some new to the TL terrorism from out of the Middle East.

ferdi254

Banned
When push came to shove more than one country was perfectly happy with changing the rules so a woman could inherit the throne. Especially true if foreign powers would take over.

I could swear there were some "Tilo as R. Lee Ermy" guesses back in the day for his ultimate fate.

Now all he needs is enough clout to get his b-roll Horror Movie start and he can have some real fun. Tilo's version of Tremors or Dog Soldiers would probably be a sight to behold.

Later on, when Jost had been asked to help train actors to act the part of soldiers he had fallen right back into his role as the takes-no-shit-from-anyone Noncommissioned Officer and that had resulted in a number of complaints to the Studio. Those complaints had backfired on the actors because Jost was asked if he would do that in the actual movie and he had asked if Nancy could help broker the deal. Of all the absurd things that could have happened, Jost getting paid what Nancy felt was an absurd amount of money to basically play himself had to take the cake
Finally old Jost has settled. Maybe he could know someone in movie environment and get married.
The ice on the cake would be if we would have a new round of Schultz children x'D

Actually, now that my mind is having fun with this prospect, Jost playing the John Hurt role in some sort of an Alien like movie would be fantastic.

It's a horror movie and he'd get a gruesome cool death scene, a win-win for Jost. Seriously though, I do hope this leads to him having a long running acting career, though it would be hilarious if he pulls an Audie Murphy in Guns of Ft Petticoat....

On the problem of the succession of the Romanian throne that won’t be a problem IOTL until 2017 but the Romanian Government can always change the rules.
If Reier is also retired from the Marine Infantry Tilo may ask Nancy to see if she can get a consultant job for him so that Reier can stay out of trouble, plus I think that Reier can tell a lot of colorful stories about his own time in the Marine Infantry some of which are factual.

I think it's time for a Bad Boy/Girl royal to show up. Make a big scandal in the papers and get put in their place by one of the Hohenzollerns.

Part 129, Chapter 2202
Chapter Two Thousand Two Hundred Two

2nd February 1973

Tempelhof

Like always, Kat withdrew from the world on this date. Sophie knew the basic story. Kat had a building blow up in her face when she had been just a few years older that Sophie was presently. It was a major part of how Kat had become who she was today, however it was noticeable that she obviously saw things differently. Doug said that Kat had never considered herself to be the heroine that people thought that she was. All of that had happened long before Sophie had been born and for a long time all she had known was her maternal grandfather’s comments about how César Sauvageot had clearly not gone far enough because he had missed a few. Sophie had not understood what that had meant at the time beyond it being like many of the other things that her grandfather had said that seemed geared mostly to anger other people. Later, she learned that it had been because of Kat that many people had made it out of the building who wouldn’t have otherwise.

Still, life went on even if Kat was mostly absent today.

Like every other morning for the last couple weeks, Sophie had been made to read aloud the weather report from the newspaper to either Kat, Petia, or Doug. They thought that if she acknowledged that the weather would be bad that day, then she would think twice before she did something else stupid. The other thing that Kat had insisted on was that perhaps Sophie needed things to keep her occupied closer to home. That included minding Heinrich, or Henri as he preferred to be called, Asia’s nine-year-old son.

Presently, Henri was spinning around on his feet in the library until he grew too dizzy and lost his balance. He fell onto the carpet and was laying on his back laughing as Sprocket who had been circling him as he had spun licked his face. The pup just loved it when Henri was around to play with him. The treasonous little shit, Sophie thought to herself but did nothing to stop them from playing with each other. Sophie knew that if Sprocket wasn’t playing with Henri, then he would be begging her for attention.

“You are going to make yourself sick or get hurt doing that” Sophie said, Henri had done this a few times now and he seemed to have no regard to what might happen if his head hit something solid when he fell.

“So” Henri said. He really was being a pill today. His mother had dropped him off here this afternoon after Kat and Doug had told Asia that they could take him for the weekend. Apparently, Asia and Kris were throwing a party and they didn’t want a child underfoot. All Henri knew was that the grownups were doing something fun, he was being excluded and didn’t like it. He began running around the room with Sprocket. Considering the amount of noise that he was making, Asia had probably been at her wits end after having him cooped up inside all winter. Henri being away for a couple of days was likely preventing a homicide. Sophie went back to her studies, English this time. It was a particularly vexing class for her, and she was finding that she envied how easily Marie Alexandra picked up languages. Last year, French had been difficult, this year English was proving impossible.

“What are you doing?” Henri asked, pausing from his mayhem to take an interest in what Sophie was doing.

“Studying” Sophie replied, “It is important that I get a passing grade in this class, or else they will make me retake it next year.”

There was a good chance that Sophie would get to retake English anyway. It seemed like her school had a perverse sense of humor at times.

Henri looked at the textbook in Sophie’s hands and saw what purported to be a street scene in an English city with many common items labeled in German and English. There were also tape cassettes that were supposed to help Sophie with the pronunciation. With Henri in the room that was absolutely impossible.

“Which class?” Henri asked.

“English” Sophie replied.

Henri found that funny. “Howdy, howdy, I’m a Cowboy” He said in English with an attempt at an American Texas accent that simply didn’t work. Of course, most of the English he had been exposed to would be in the form of Cowboy movies and television shows that were American exports. Sophie had been told that they depicted an idealized, whitewashed version of the American Western Frontier from the prior century. So much so that recently Mel Brooks had done a movie starring Richard Pryor along with a cast of thousands that parodied the entire Western Genre. Sophie had wanted to see it, but the theater had refused to sell her a ticket. Apparently, the theater owners felt that a movie depicting the towns of the American Old West as backwards and racist with the people as boorish idiots was more than she could handle. As if she hadn’t seen a great deal of that exact same sort of behavior before she had been removed from her mother’s household.

“My English Teacher said that American movies are the worst way to learn language” Sophie said, “Cowboys and Gangsters seldom speak proper English.”

“Oh” Henri replied, sounding a bit disappointed.

“That doesn’t mean that it wouldn’t be nice to be able to watch those films without subtitles” Sophie said.

Henri just shrugged. Then he stood up and resumed spinning himself around.

Last edited:
Jost never did a stint as a basic training instructor.

He was the NCO/SNCO that did the advance training. Totally different.
Was myself thinking of more the ‘Gunny Highway school’ of advanced training as a main character in the German equivalent of ‘Heartbreak Ridge’, where he whips the slack, complacent Recon platoon of a Panzer Dragoon regiment into shape before they deploy to deal with a crisis in (say) South America…

Last edited:
Of course, most of the English he had been exposed to would be in the form of Cowboy movies and television shows that were American exports. Sophie had been told that they depicted an idealized, whitewashed version of the American Western Frontier from the prior century. So much so that recently Mel Brooks had done a movie starring Richard Pryor along with a cast of thousands that parodied the entire Western Genre. Sophie had wanted to see it, but the theater had refused to sell her a ticket. Apparently, the theater owners felt that a movie depicting the towns of the American Old West as backwards and racist with the people as boorish idiots was more than she could handle. As if she hadn’t seen a great deal of that exact same sort of behavior before she had been removed from her mother’s household.
So Mel Brooks still made a 'Blazing Saddles' analogue, but with Richard Pryor instead of Cleavon Little. Good. Although I can't help but wonder what TTL's version of 'The Producers' will look like with no 'Springtime for Hitler'. 'Springtime for Stalin' perhaps?

Edit: No, not 'Springtime for Stalin'. A completely different film. A film destined to be a classic for TTl's Mel Brooks.
Ladies and Gentlemen, may I humbly suggest: 'The Death of Stalin'

Last edited:
No matter how great Richard Pryor was the choice of Cleavon Little to play Sheriff Bart was the right one as Pryor would have been too over the top in his performance when in such movies you need the lead character to be while funny but also "normal" enough while everyone else around them is going crazy there is one person who is centered.
Gene Wilder perfectly gave an understated performance as The Waco Kid so when he cuts loose in a couple of scenes they are much funnier.
As for films being dubbed and synchronized there is a theory that the reason that Jerry Lewis was considered to be a genius in France was because of the voice actor dubbing for Lewis and after the voice actor was replaced the popularity of Jerry Lewis movies in France dropped.
By the way the movie "The Day the Clown Cried" the Jerry Lewis Oscar Bait movie about a clown at Auschwitz who leads children to the gas chamber won't be made ITTL.

So Mel Brooks still made a 'Blazing Saddles' analogue, but with Richard Pryor instead of Cleavon Little. Good. Although I can't help but wonder what TTL's version of 'The Producers' will look like with no 'Springtime for Hitler'. 'Springtime for Stalin' perhaps?

Edit: No, not 'Springtime for Stalin'. A completely different film. A film destined to be a classic for TTl's Mel Brooks.
Ladies and Gentlemen, may I humbly suggest: 'The Death of Stalin'
Beanz Meanz Fartz. Blazing Saddles was a great film OTL. I wonder if films like Posse or the new film The Harder They Fall will be made ITTL.

ferdi254

Banned
Just a small nitpick. In Germany you do not repeat the stuff of one topic if you fail in that. If your grades are good enough you move to the next class with completely new stuff in all topics. If they are not you stay in the same class repeating all stuff in all topics.