Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

“I think I will need to consult with General Schultz then” von Richthofen said, “He has some interesting ideas for 4.MID which he is putting together, and this might be suitable.”
Do the marines want planes of their own that aren't flown by the navy? Interesting. In other news, the Harrier finally makes its debut.

Last edited:
Is this Beastie flying ITTL!

1621237100104.png

An Air Wing for the Marine Infantry is a good idea as we have seen in the past that relying on the KLM or Luftwaffe for on call air support is not always possible as they may have other priorities then providing air support to the Marine Infantry.

An Air Wing for the Marine Infantry is a good idea as we have seen in the past that relying on the KLM or Luftwaffe for on call air support is not always possible as they may have other priorities then providing air support to the Marine Infantry.
Does the army have their own helicopter wing for transport and tactical support?

The first woman in space ITTL Sigi is an attack helicopter pilot in the army and Kiki was stationed with a FSR unit that was part of the army.
What is interesting is the earlier consolidation of the passenger airline jet market as Boeing is probably the only company to go it alone and even Junkers their main rival has to join with other companies to provide an alternative to the growing fleet of Boeing products.

What is interesting is the earlier consolidation of the passenger airline jet market as Boeing is probably the only company to go it alone and even Junkers their main rival has to join with other companies to provide an alternative to the growing fleet of Boeing products.
You forgot Focke-Wulf Dornier, who plays a similar role to Boeing in Europe in close partnership with Daimler AG. The actions of Junkers, Hawker-Siddeley, and Sud Oust, along with a handful of others were prompted by that.

I think the cooperation of the Euro - Producers has more to do with local factors and less with Boeing.

There are several factors that Imo demand this, such as the much better rail network in Europe being a very considerable competitor. Also Europe is much more settled in the number of smaller cities and villages creating a better road network. Add that there are many more aviation companies and a certain prestige to produce aircraft and many smaller companies were created and now have to find a way into the future.

It’s kind of bizarre how it worked out: OT1H, Britain has been quietly working against German interests for a while (China, Argentina) yet OTOH they’re close enough that they share military tech and jointly develop strike aircraft.

The first woman in space ITTL Sigi is an attack helicopter pilot in the army and Kiki was stationed with a FSR unit that was part of the army.
That's what I wasn't sure of - while they work with the Army, were they actually part of the Army of just Luftwaffe who worked closely with the Army.
I wonder if there will be a Chinook or Mil-26 analogue for the German forces?

It’s kind of bizarre how it worked out: OT1H, Britain has been quietly working against German interests for a while (China, Argentina) yet OTOH they’re close enough that they share military tech and jointly develop strike aircraft.

Even stranger that the Germans would allow an American company to join up in the development of the notHarrier given how they are much more explicit rivals...

You forgot Focke-Wulf Dornier, who plays a similar role to Boeing in Europe in close partnership with Daimler AG. The actions of Junkers, Hawker-Siddeley, and Sud Oust, along with a handful of others were prompted by that.
I was wondering who was the competition with all of those companies in the consortium.

I think that no matter what timeline you are in the results will be the same where the commercial passenger airline manufacturers will consolidate around two companies one is always going to be Boeing and the other one an European company, and it will be interesting to see which European entry will win out the German dominated one or the multinational one and like the OTL Airbus it most likely be the one that gets the most government subsidies.
There will be a market for smaller short range passenger jets like from Bombadier from Canada and Embraer Jets from Brazil.

I have been watching a lot of train videos lately and given the post war economic situation in Europe ITTL is much better then IOTL and the massive rebuilding of the rail network under the direction of Chancellor Lang the possibility of High Speed Rail coming sooner is a good one.
I also found out that for some reason that Berlin did not get a central passenger rail station until the Berlin Hauptbahnhof was built in 2006 and it is more like a shopping center.

ferdi254

Banned
Ejpsan Paris and London do not have a single major rail station until today. Basic reasoning is that at the time trains came around it was far too difficult to lay the tracks for a large central station in the densely populated and large towns, so they (as Moscow btw) all made do with stations that were serving certain directions of traffic.
Berlin after 1989 was in a special situation as there suddenly was a lot of empty space in the middle of the town.

Ejpsan Paris and London do not have a single major rail station until today. Basic reasoning is that at the time trains came around it was far too difficult to lay the tracks for a large central station in the densely populated and large towns, so they (as Moscow btw) all made do with stations that were serving certain directions of traffic.
Berlin after 1989 was in a special situation as there suddenly was a lot of empty space in the middle of the town.
Early rail also were privat-ish enterprises each runnning their own lines. At least in Britain and Austria, but I'd assume the same was true in Prussia and France. And well, they have their own stations, that they'd have to negotiate contracts to use their competitions rails and stations. Sometimes they even used different gauges. So they opted to build their own stations in the then affordable enough outer centre of the cities.

On the matter of a central railway station, Berlin isn't alone in getting one after 2000s, so it can't be put down as only the cold war divide. Vienna Main Station (what used to be the areal containing the East, South and Laa Railway Stations) was only finished in 2015.