Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

Only an simpleton would vote for kiki, like let's be real.
One of the main parts of being emperor is representing the state, and kiki is trying everything in her power to not having to do that.

True. Plus, I mean, even if the entirety of the rest of her siblings were somehow disqualified, there's altogether too many other potentials. The Bavarian monarchy, for one...whose heir is half-Hohenzollern.

Nobody'd try shoving Kiki forward when there's altogether more 'suitable' candidates from among the rest of the German nobility and royalty.

This is why Kiki's and Ben's wedding is such a big production because this is probably the last best chance to get all the Electors together in a "Non Political" setting before they vote on the next Kaiser.
Hopefully Freddy won't call Kiki a Whippet during the toasts.

This is why Kiki's and Ben's wedding is such a big production because this is probably the last best chance to get all the Electors together in a "Non Political" setting before they vote on the next Kaiser.
Hopefully Freddy won't call Kiki a Whippet during the toasts.

...actually, Kiki might encourage that, because no Elector would vote for someone who was nicknamed 'Whippet' and owned up to it publicly :D

If it's not Freddie though, it will . . . complicate relations with Japan.

He's also got the advantages of being the traditional choice, trained for the position and being a generally decent person.

If he was an obviously bad choice, he might be voted out, but it would be . . . stupidly unlucky . . . . for him not to win.

Kiki's response to being chosen would be on the lines of "F*** no! Are you crazy?" And the rest of the family are either determedly eccentric or nonentities.

Only an simpleton would vote for kiki, like let's be real.
One of the main parts of being emperor is representing the state, and kiki is trying everything in her power to not having to do that.
You'd think so, but knowing the title of this TL I cannot say for sure.

Also let's break Louis' kids down and see who has the biggest chance:
- Freddy: (nominally) heir apparent; decent reputation; excellent (?) record in the service; married to a Japanese princess;
- Michael: King in his own right; decent reputation; excellent record in the service; recently married to a British princess;
- Kiki: the closest thing to a People's Princess we've seen so far, with an actual job and actual acts of heroism while doing her job;
- Louis Jr.: non-entity in the public's eye; has a bit of a playboy reputation (according to Nancy, so no guarantees on that one);
- Marie: bit of a liberal oddball but somehow ended up Queen of Galicia; seems to be generally well-liked, too;
- Vicky: very closeted homosexual and Queen of Bavaria;

If the breakdown is correct I'd say the eldest three, with Freddy and Kiki having a slight edge over Mikey. It'll probably end up with Freddy winning but Kiki will come uncomfortably close (for her, at least).

Marc A

I think that Prince Friedrich is the overwhelming favorite and only a last minute scandal could derail him, the main problem in the future is going to be when it is Miari's turn to become the first reigning Kaiserine of the Empire and objections are made because she is half Japanese.
I have posted before that there is no need for the children of the Kaiser to make "Marriages of Alliances" but with this Elector system the need for strategic marriages become a necessity in order for the House of Hohenzollern to keep the Throne.
The Elimination of the Elector system should be something that Friedrich (if he becomes the Kaiser) does quietly in the future.

- Vicky: very closeted homosexual and Queen of Bavaria;

On mentioning Vicky, let's not forget that her father-in-law will probably be the main non-Hohenzollern candidate. Granted, thanks to the wedding and agreements made therefrom he'd probably flip his support to whichever Hohenzollern is most likely to win but if he sees the chance to actually win himself...

Though that said...we are rather assuming that they're going to be choosing from all the Hohenzollern family in this election. Isn't it more likely there'll be one Hohenzollern candidate, one Wittelsbach candidate, und so weiter?

I think that Prince Friedrich is the overwhelming favorite and only a last minute scandal could derail him, the main problem in the future is going to be when it is Miari's turn to become the first reigning Kaiserine of the Empire and objections are made because she is half Japanese.
Assuming Freddy makes it to old age, by the time Mirai's going to be in the running odds are people won't care as much as they do in the 70s...
I have posted before that there is no need for the children of the Kaiser to make "Marriages of Alliances" but with this Elector system the need for strategic marriages become a necessity in order for the House of Hohenzollern to keep the Throne.
The Elimination of the Elector system should be something that Friedrich (if he becomes the Kaiser) does quietly in the future.
If he can get away with it, I agree.

Part 118, Chapter 1970
Chapter One Thousand Nine Hundred Seventy

27th March 1970

Plänterwald, Berlin

“I am starting to suspect that it is not about me at all” Kiki said into the telephone to Ben who had called from his office in the Astronomy Building in the Humboldt Campus of the Friedrich-Wilhelm University. It being a Friday afternoon, he had probably called her because he was bored, not that she minded.

“I could call over to Humanities and ask” Ben replied, “But I seem to recall that marriage has never actually been about the bride but the community and her parent’s place in it.”

“That is a terrible thought” Kiki said as she pulled off the large rubber band that was holding the bundle of letters that had been addressed to her together. These were the ones that had been vetted by Inspectors from the Postal Service who had been loaned to the 1st Foot Guard. Their job was to sort out the scam artists and cranks who sent large amounts of letters to any public figure. Supposedly, some of things that people had tried to mail Kiki were disturbing. In theory, all the letters she was receiving were legitimate, so it should not have been a surprise the first several were bills relating to the upkeep of Hohenzollern Castle that were coming due. These included numbers that were quite terrifying in scope to anyone not familiar. Then a letter from a Veterinary Clinic reminding her that she needed to schedule Rauchbier’s annual checkup. Finally, there were a handful of letters from friends who were apparently on the approved list. Among those was a letter from a man she had not considered in a long time, Richard Valenzuela.

“I figure that is just how it is” Ben said, “In the old days marriage was about dynastic power, transfer of wealth and property.”

“Yeah, and they also believed in keeping it all in the family” Kiki replied, “Ask my Stepmother about her ancestors, particularly the ones who ruled Spain.”

“She is one of those Habsburgs, isn’t she?” Ben asked, “Speaking of terrifying.”

“Well, you have no real wealth and your property in Bavaria is only worth what the Universities are leasing it from you for and that castle in Saxony is a civil liability waiting to happen because it might fall on someone” Kiki said as she opened the letter, “You are just lucky that I love you Benjamin.”

“That is just typical Hohenzollern snobbery” Ben said, and Kiki could hear the sarcasm. “Just because your family has a thousand-year history and your father is the Emperor of Germany, you assume you are better than everyone else.”

“I have no need to assume what everyone already knows” Kiki replied, and Ben laughed. He knew full well the lengths that Kiki had gone to because she felt being that sort of snob held potential danger. Still, it was good to be able to joke about it.

“Is there any news on your end?” Ben asked as Kiki read the letter.

“It seems that you have one less competitor for my affections” Kiki replied, “Ritchie Valenzuela is getting married himself this summer.”

“Isn’t he that boy who you and Vicky went to the Wisconsin Dells with and worked with in that hush-hush thing you did a couple years ago?” Ben asked, reminding Kiki that he must have seen the documentary that Zella had shot during that trip to America.

“He was sweet to us” Kiki replied, knowing that the professions that Ritchie had pursued were the sort that usually precluded being sweet. “It says here that he decided to join the Police Department in Los Angeles and is asking for my help with getting a set of body armor that would be hard to get on that side of the Atlantic.”

“Why would he be asking your help?”

“Because I sort of did it before” Kiki replied, “During the hush-hush thing you mentioned. I made a point of getting the Americans proper body armor so that I would be less likely to have to deal with severe injuries to the chest or abdomen. I even tried to get them proper helmets, but they were stubborn about that. Better to look right with a massive head injury than to not spend the rest of your life at about the same level as a houseplant.”

“You have always been passionate about this issue” Ben said, “But these are Americans you are talking about.”

Kiki paused for a minute to keep from reacting badly to that comment. Ben had seen the world from the inside of the cockpit of a fighter-bomber in Korea and seldom encountered what happened on the ground. He still tended to see things from that perspective. Unlike Kiki, who had been ankle deep in the resulting mess.

“You never ask where anyone comes from in triage” Kiki said, trying to keep emotion out of her voice. “The weapons of war don’t discriminate, and neither can those who treat the wounded.”

“Sorry, Kiki, I forgot…” Ben trailed off.

Kiki took off her glasses and rubbed her eyes. She tried not to come on too strong about issues like these, but they were important to her. She knew that she had made a mistake the last several times she had done it. This was no different. She also had the sinking realization that Ben’s comment had probably been an attempt at a joke, one that had gone right past her.

“Don’t apologize Ben” Kiki said, “Just please try to remember what I do and why.”

“I’ll try” Ben replied, “But try to be understanding the next time I forget.”

“We have a deal then?” Kiki asked.

“Deal” Ben replied.

Last edited:
Peabody-Martini's most excellent literary epic has reached the year of my birth, although the exact date still has several months to go.

I love Kiki's dedication to preventative medicine, especially as it relates to keeping peoples body parts intact and unscrambled. I can see her research into accidents leading to further safety recommendations such as bicycle helmets. As for her impending marriage, I think they'll be OK.

As for the Imperial succession, let's see what Louis' kids probable reactions might be:
- Freddy: (nominally) heir apparent; "Well, I've kinda been training for this my entire life, so... "
- Michael: King in his own right; "Are you fucking nuts! I have enough problems with Bohemia!"
- Kiki: the People's Princess; "Elect me and I will abdicate immediately."
- Louis Jr.: "What Kiki said and then I'll move to Antarctica."
- Marie: Queen of Galicia; "Do you really want me on the throne? Think very carefully before you answer that question."
- Vicky: very closeted homosexual and (future) Queen of Bavaria; "I am very happy with my position in Bavaria."

Peabody-Martini's most excellent literary epic has reached the year of my birth, although the exact date still has several months to go.
Just under 3 1/2 years to reach mine. It's odd to think that a timeline that set out in 1917 is about to hit years in which some of it's readers theoretically lived through.

As for the Imperial succession, let's see what Louis' kids probable reactions might be:
- Freddy: (nominally) heir apparent; "Well, I've kinda been training for this my entire life, so... "
- Michael: King in his own right; "Are you fucking nuts! I have enough problems with Bohemia!"
- Marie: Queen of Galicia; "Do you really want me on the throne? Think very carefully before you answer that question."
- Vicky: very closeted homosexual and (future) Queen of Bavaria; "I am very happy with my position in Bavaria."
And in the non-Hohenzollern corner:

-Manfred: "Well let's be fair, you had to expect my scheming to end here somehow."
-Emil: "Oh no, my wife is going to kill me."
-Kat: *Distant collective screaming of the entire German nobility and Kat*
-Hans: *Distant sound of Manfred laughing himself to literal death*
-Tilo: "In light of the drive towards efficiency and quality throughout Germany, I am disbanding the Monarchy at once and instituting a form of Taoist Bureaucratic rule."
-John Ellis: "My first act as Kaiser is to hug a generator up to J Edgar Hoover's corpse, the rotational force of it should be able to power Europe for the next thousand years."

And of course, the true outlier for who should next be Kaiser of Germany:

-Gina: "Oh no, oh god, oh no. How? What? HOW?!"

Always appreciate the generous updates and excellent writing.

Electing a kid is popular, always easy to control and we will have Habsburg blood back on the imperial throne.

One of the questions we haven’t asked is “ What do the public think about this and who is their choice “?
Maria being the Editor in Chief of the BT should have been commissioning polls about that.

One of the questions we haven’t asked is “ What do the public think about this and who is their choice “?
Maria being the Editor in Chief of the BT should have been commissioning polls about that.
And Zella could find herself on the streets with Yuri recording vox pops on that subject.

Actually Marie would not be saying that publically, she would just set there rubbing her hands together with a Cheshire Cat Grin with visions going thru her head of the reforms she would make.

Louis wouldn't move to Antarctica, more likely he would decamp to the German Pacific Islands where its warmer, he has already been to the southernmost continent.

Vicky and Michael already have there own thrones and don't need another one.

Part 118, Chapter 1971
Chapter One Thousand Nine Hundred Seventy-One

3rd April 1970

Tempelhof, Berlin

“It is ambitious” Ben said as he looked the syllabus and schematic that had been provided by NASA for the Voyager Program of interstellar probes. It was similar to the Exerevnitís Program that was an extension of the Taxidiotis Program as it concluded. If he had to guess, it was a case of form following function. Ben had seen that with the Pioneer probes that had gone to the Moon and Mars being functionally similar to the Viatorem Probes that had been sent to many of the same places. This time though, it seemed that the Director of NASA had decided that it was worth his effort to use back channels to coordinate their efforts with the ESA. Ben had heard that the Head of his Department had convinced his counterpart at NASA that this was not a footrace but a collaboration. There was also a bit of a misunderstanding over the probes that that Russians had been sending sent to Venus independently of the ESA as well as the continued British and French efforts to contend with.

Mostly it was all a reminder of how low on the totem pole Ben was. He knew that the only reason he was looking at these papers describing the Voyager Program was because he was seen as the inhouse expert on the Space Program.

“Can it do what the Americans say it can?” Professor Gabler, the Department Head asked, “A planned four-decade service life?”

“At least that” Ben replied, “Like ours, these craft are nuclear powered, so long as plutonium generates enough heat they can keep going. It is what is needed if we are going to explore the outer solar system.”

“So, we really are going to Pluto?” Gabler asked, Ben couldn’t help but noticing that his voice took on a bit of child-like glee at the though.

“That is just one planet that we are planning on performing a flyby of on that mission” Ben replied.

“Good” Gabler said, “We are living in wonderous times.”

With that, Gabler took the folder that contained the information from NASA and strolled out of the room. That left Ben recalling his father’s suggestion that he go for a Professorship, because of gravitas. He wondered how Kiki would react if he told her that he was seriously leaning towards becoming a post-Doctoral student. He figured that laughter would be expected because she had pointed out that whatever their goals had been in the past, they kept finding that they had just as much in front of them to contend with as they ever had in the past.

Wunsdorf-Zossen

“Stories like this bother me” Jost said to the Soldaten who were gathered around in the barracks as he pointed to the international section of the newspaper that he had acquired. “Portuguese at war with an Independence movement in Angola. British warships shelling Chinese positions on the rivers because they have involved themselves in the civil war. The Near-East being an absolute mess because of the power vacuum left by the Ottoman Empire decades ago. We could find ourselves neck deep in any one of these in the near future.”

“Probably not you though Oberstaber” One of the men, Jost recognized him as Rainer Maus, not one of his favorites by any means. “Word is that you are in for the Red Eagle.”

Jost frowned, the Enlisted Medal of Order of the Red Eagle was the highest award that a man in his position could aspire to. It was also almost always given as an award for a lifetime of service to lessen the sting as the Enlisted Man in question was being shown the door. Jost’s latest term of enlistment was rapidly drawing to a close and he didn’t figure that he would be allowed to renew it. So, him getting shown the door was exactly what he figured was going to happen after thirty-five years. He couldn’t help but be angry about how that was happening.

“What is, is what is” Jost said, he couldn’t help but think about what he saw when he looked at life outside the perimeter wire, he just saw a lack of purpose in the people he encountered. Was that his lot in the near future?

Los Angeles, California

Ritchie woke up to his nieces and nephews yelling about something, then his mother yelling at them that he was trying to sleep and that they needed to be quiet. Looking at the alarm-clock next to his bed, he saw it was mid-afternoon and he knew that he would be unlikely to get any more sleep now that the kids were home from school. Luckily, he wasn’t scheduled to work that night otherwise he might be joining his mother in yelling at the brats.

Hauling himself out of bed took considerable effort, but he made it out to the kitchen where the only thing of import was getting a drink of water.

“A package arrived for you, but not by mail” Concha said. Ritchie couldn’t help but notice that his mother seemed a bit concerned about something.

“What is it?” Ritchie asked.

“Just who is this Kiki?” His mother asked in reply. “If you are stepping out Lucia might kill you and I’ll be inclined to help her hide your body.”

Ritchie knew better than to laugh at his mother, especially considering that she had no idea who Kiki was.

“Kiki is Kristina von Preussen, a woman who I crossed paths with a few times while I was with the Green Beret” Ritchie said, “First in Korea, then in the Mid-West, and finally in Germany.”

“This woman gets around?” Concha asked, and Ritchie realized that last name probably didn’t mean anything to her.

“It comes with being in Special Forces.”

“I didn’t think that Special Forces took women.”

“The U.S. Army Airborne doesn’t” Ritchie said, “The German KSK has different rules.”

As his mother was surprised by that and just dropped the whole matter. Ritchie read the letter that his mother had already opened. Typical Kiki, thanking him for asking for her help. Then she said that she contacted the manufacturer of the Ausf. G Panzerweste and had them send him a sample of their product. The same one that was now being used by the Brandenburg/Berlin State Police. She had told them that he was sort of a big deal in the LAPD and that he might get the Department interested in future purchases. She suggested that he make it happen in the future so that she wouldn’t look bad. She also said that she had the vest transported by diplomatic courier to California and delivered to his house. That meant that it must have been someone from the Consulate who had delivered it.

Opening the package, Ritchie could smell the synthetic cloth and could feel the riveted ceramic plates through the layers of the fabric referred to as Kevlar in the States. It was even the right color to match his regular police uniform. Kiki had outdone herself.

Last edited:
What I am more intrigued by are the nuclear-powered space probes. Sounds like something stemming from project Orion.

An interesting note on the armour constructing is the fact that a riveted construction is mentioned. Sounds like a Brigandine to me.

Last edited:
What I am more intrigued by are the nuclear-powered space probes. Sounds like something stemming from project Orion.

An interesting note on the armour constructing is the fact that a riveted construction is mentioned. Sounds like a Brigandine to me.

Hmmmm...

Orion... A German-centric story...Space...