Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

Which will undermine Sun's position even more
In the short term not right now but in the long term there could be problems depending on how things go in the future.
China’s biggest problems right now are corruption, famine in the rural areas, and the aftermath of a massive loss of face because of the defeat in the Sino-Korean War.

Part 117, Chapter 1957
Chapter One Thousand Five Hundred Fifty-Seven

12th January 1970

Wahlstatt, Silesia

There were a number of things that had gone wrong over the Christmas Holiday and in the week since Not so much that he wanted to rush back to Wahlstatt, but still enough to be a real bother for him. He had plenty of time to reflect on it as he was peeling potatoes as a part of KP, something that he had oddly been forced to volunteer for this time. Bas thought he was insane for doing so, even after Niko had tried to explain the reason why.

Being introduced to the woman who Opa was in a relationship with, that was not the sort of thing that he had expected over the holidays. Was being in relationships the sort of thing that an Opa did? Niko had no idea until it had happened. Then there were his parents bringing a baby home and telling him that she was Ingrid, his new little sister. Opa had taken him aside and told him that as Ingrid’s big brother he had an important role to play, as her protector and occasional tormentor. He suspected that Opa was pulling his leg a bit. Bas had said that he shouldn’t be too concerned. Bas had two younger sisters, Anna, and Gretchen, so he probably knew what he was talking about. They were mostly harmless, having big ideas that everyone knew could never happen in real life or being totally frivolous. Like Bas’ youngest sister Gretchen having an absurd crush on Niko for the last several months, for example.

What had happened since his return to Wahlstatt was basically a continuation of Christmas with constant minor aggravations. First, the long-threatened swimming lessons had proven every bit as harrowing as Niko remembered from the previous year. Swimming in the heated indoor pool in the dead of winter was an unimaginable luxury for most of the students in the school, even the ones from rich families like Niko’s. He couldn’t imagine his grandfather spending that kind of money when there were plenty of places for a boy like Niko to go swimming like his grandfather had when he had been young. However, the emphasis on the “lesson” part of that seemed to suck all the life out of what should have been a lot of fun. Until Niko had arrived in Wahlstatt he’d had no idea that there was a way to swim properly. It just became one more place for the instructors to yell at them.

Finally, there was the reason why Niko had volunteered to do work in the Kitchens this week. Like everyone else in his class, he had moved up and down the ranks of the Cadet Corps. Most recently finding himself advancing further up the ladder than he had managed in the past, to Korporal. This had resulted in getting a peek at how things actually worked in the school and what he learned surprised him.

The assumption had always been that discipline was totally arbitrary. Anger Staber Arbeit, any one of the other staff, or do one of the dozens of things that got you a demerit and you would be looking forward to peeling potatoes and scrubbing pots in the near future. Sometimes it seemed like Staber Arbeit was ticked off and landed one someone with both feet because he felt like it, with the same result. Niko had learned that the system worked very differently than he had thought. The Kitchens needed warm bodies to do the drudgework in order to function properly and the school itself was happy to provide them. There was a list with the names of everyone in Niko’s class in Arbeit’s office that said exactly how many times they had been on KP and when. Naturally, Bas had worked in the Kitchens more than anyone else, but there were no exceptions and Niko figured that there were similar lists for the other classes because he saw plenty of the other students around, both older and a few of the younger. The rub was that if Niko wanted to keep his promotion, he would need to select two of the cadets from his bay in the dormitory to work KP this week. He had selected himself and another in his class who had moved into the bay at the start of the term. That had worked, for now, but was going to happen next month because he couldn’t select himself again.

Dublin, Ireland

“Please don’t tell me that you are calling because you killed someone, again” Jack said into the telephone. He wasn’t sure due to the staticky international call, but he thought heard her give an exasperated sigh before she answered.

“It is still early Jack” Kat replied, “If a Luftwaffe training mission went horribly wrong and a navigation error resulted in the planes being over Ireland. Then a law office in say, Dublin, got hit with five-hundred-kilogram bombs by mistake… That would be an awful tragedy.”

That wasn’t funny, not only because in her current position as the Deputy Commander-in-Chief of the Luftwaffe High Command made it so there was a good chance that she had the authority to make it happen. There was also the specter of many people, not just in Ireland but throughout the rest of the world, including much of the Catholic Church, saying that it would be Jack getting his just deserts. Especially if it was at the hands of one of his clients.

“Don’t be annoying Kat” Jack replied.

“You’ll be pleased to know that your name came up at the latest intelligence briefing that I was forced to sit through” Kat said, “That thing you are neck deep in. Don’t you worry about that sticking on your shoe and then tracking it all over your house?”

“I wanted nothing to do with that, but one of us decided it would be fun to tell stories of past hush-hush adventures to a book club in Canada” Jack replied, “Which has been constant source of headaches for me ever since. You’ll be pleased to know that I am fully aware of the possibilities and risks that my work in the Far East presents.”

“I was worried, and I am sorry if I got you caught up in that” Kat replied, “There are experts who don’t fully understand the region.”

“I may not understand the country, but I understand the British” Jack said, “They have centuries of practice when it comes to fighting wars in places where they might not be welcome, finding someone who they can bend towards their ends, and finally knowing that no one will give a shit if they kill the people of that country by the thousands. Now I know you didn’t call to talk about current events.”

“The English translation of Sven Werth’s book is out” Kat said, “Is there any exposure?”

“For you, no” Jack said, “Your father would be in serious trouble, if he wasn’t conveniently dead.”

“Sven wrote that his plan was to turn me and my father against each other” Kat said, “At the time that might have worked.”

Jack knew it would have worked. At the time, Kat learning her father’s connection to some of the things that had happened to her would have caused her to give him to Inspector Werth gift-wrapped. If his time in criminal defense had taught him anything, it was that there were few people who didn’t give in to that sort of anger.

ferdi254

Banned
Hopefully everybody involved realizes that Jack is just the paid runner boy and goes after those who paid him.

Oh and btw 3 hours of potato peeling might be much better compared to what is on the normal plan especially for cadets in winter.

Last edited:
Normal friends joke around about beating you, being friends with Kat means you need greater mental acuity and testicular fortitude because when she says she's going to divert a bomber towards you its impossible to tell if she's joking and you dann well know that she will do it. I find myself enjoying the way Back and the cats relationship has evolved, the dynamics have changed along with the characters.

In convoluted thinking time there could be a chance that Russia will sell heavy weapons to Chiang Kai-shek as the Czar would not like Great Britain to operate freely in Russia’s backyard and there is in OTL a relationship between the Nationalist Party and the Soviet Union and Chiang doesn’t have that many friends left in that part of the world.
As for the scene between Kat and Jack I think it really telling that Kat isn’t giving Jack a “Back Off” message to pass to the British .

As for the scene between Kat and Jack I think it really telling that Kat isn’t giving Jack a “Back Off” message to pass to the British .

So long as there are no important security or commercial interests at stake, I don't think Germany gives a damn what happens. If they can do business with whomever is left standing then that's enough I would think.

F*s what are the British sniffing in this case? They are openly engaging in the Chinese Civil War Nr... dunno with but the number is certainly high.

That will bring all kinds of problem for them and "Westerners" in gerneral I think.
Either Second or Third. First one (IOTL and presumably ITTL) was CPC vs. KMT government, which IOTL was sort of put on pause when the Japanese invaded. The Second one IOTL picked up after the Japanese left, but since there's no USSR to back CPC up it's likely CPC was defeated... yeah I'd say right now we're seeing the Second Chinese Civil War in-story.
I don't think that Great Britain would act in such an open, blatant manner in China without tacit approval from Germany and the United States which has the most concerns about the potential spillover in the civil war in China for different reasons.
The Americans backed the Government-in-Peking during the Korean affair, but that relationship has since turned lukewarm (at best) or cold (at worst). Very likely that Foggy Bottom's gone back to Open Door Policy and focus on (trying to) make money off of China.

Traditionally Germany has no interest in China apart from Tsingtao and that one time Wilhelm II went nuts over the Boxers. There was some military co-operation back in OTL 1930s, a relationship which presumably existed and strengthened ITTL, BUT then Germany went ahead and pulled a MacArthur in Korea and opposed the Government-in-Peking. Presumably Berlin and Peking had not been on the friendliest of terms since.

It would have to be something to do with Hong Kong, probably getting Kowloon & the New Territories permanently, and possibly helping India and Tibet with border issues with China.
I don't know if the Brits would go through all that trouble for Hong Kong, India and/or Tibet just to help settle some border problems, although there had been a lot of British business interests in the Yangtze River region circa late 19th and early 20th century (most of those probably gone during the OTL 1920s and 30s).

Also, Kowloon WAS permanently ceded in 1860, which only left New Territories on a 99-year lease from 1898 to 1997.

Marc A

In convoluted thinking time there could be a chance that Russia will sell heavy weapons to Chiang Kai-shek as the Czar would not like Great Britain to operate freely in Russia’s backyard and there is in OTL a relationship between the Nationalist Party and the Soviet Union and Chiang doesn’t have that many friends left in that part of the world.
The irony of Chiang Ching-kuo serving as Ambassador to Tsarist Russia all but begging for every single tank and rifle the Russians make is too much.

Marc A

Part 117, Chapter 1958
Chapter One Thousand Nine Hundred Fifty-Eight

14th January 1970

Prague, Bohemia

It was an informal event that Michael was throwing for the members of the Order of Saint Wenceslaus as well as anyone else who had responded when he had sent them an invitation. There were a number of men who were obviously from other countries. They were looking around curiously, as if the Officers from the Bohemian Army were animals in the zoo. Kurt also noticed that they were all of a particular type, he also understood that it was inevitable that there was trouble brewing. Michael knew that perfectly well and was enjoying every second of it. He had been on his best behavior while Birdie had been present in Prague, had been looking to blow off steam now that she had returned to her studies at the University of Breslau. Kurt had told him that when the day would come when his wife would complete her education and move in permanently. Michael had just shrugged and smiled, thinking that it was all a great joke. Gerta had said that when Birdie finished with her degree in Environmental Science next year, she was going change Michael for the better, or she would have little choice but to kill him. Kurt figured that the odds were about even towards which of those eventualities played itself out.

Tonight, what that looked like was Kurt talking to a Colonel David Hackworth, an eccentric American Officer with some rather interesting ideas about what the next decade would hold. Colonel Hackworth had talked at length about how it would those who could innovate and make the most of available resources who would hold the edge going forward. Kurt was reminded of how Suse had approached him with the design for an autoloader for the main gun of a Panzer that had been developed by a team she was a part of at Berlin Technical University. As odd as it may have sounded, manpower was an issue in the Panzer Corps. It had been that way since the Second World War and had made dispensing with the Hull Gunner/Radio Operator an enticing prospect once it became obvious that getting rid of that position would improve the frontal armor and reduce the crew requirement. Eliminating the Loader would the next step along those lines.

“Knispel!” Kurt heard a man in a Russian Army Major’s Uniform bellow as he walked across the room. “It is about time we are introduced, though this is not the first time we’ve met.”

Kurt made the mistake of shaking the man’s hand and he found the man’s grip crushing. “I think I would remember you” He said.

“I doubt it” The Russian said, “Dmitry Lavrinenko by the way.”

“You still have me at a loss Major Lavrinenko” Kurt said.

“Back in 1943, in Luhansk, Ukraine, my tank Company had ambushed a German column” Lavrinenko said, “A madman in a lone Panther comes flying through a field of sunflowers and attacks my Company directly. Takes out three of my tanks before we can even react, shoots my tank out from under me, then charges back unto sunflowers before anyone can touch him.”

Kurt remembered a lot of incidents, finding himself among four Russian heavies was the sort of thing that was hard to forget. “Lars Kuhn, the driver of my Panther panicked and did a few strange things, otherwise you probably would have had a better day.”

Lavrinenko laughed at that.

“There were stories all over the Ukraine Front about a Panther with a blue cross painted on the turret” Lavrinenko said, “To even see it was to court death.”

“That is a new one” Kurt replied. He had never thought about the reputation he had among those across the lines until now. He’d had a crack team aboard his Panzer, most of the crew had been with Kurt in Spain. The exception had been a succession of Gunners who had gone on to command Panzers of their own about the time they started becoming proficient, much to Kurt’s annoyance. The blue Maltese cross that Lavrinenko had mentioned had been painted on the side of the turret by Olli and Fritz after Kurt had won the Pour-le-Mérite in the very action that the Russian Officer had just mentioned.

Mitte, Berlin

“If we had only had a camera in the room” Yuri said as Zella parked the car. She had been telling him about how Kiki, who was normally quite reserved tended to run her mouth when she was drunk. Kiki had also been stoned this time, but Zella had made a point of not mentioning that. “The dormouse of a Princess has an opinion about everything, unbelievable.”

“Everyone has opinions, just not everyone says them aloud” Zella replied, “And yes, recording what she said would have been a huge story. But Kiki would no longer be my friend, so it is not worth it.”

“It could be one of the biggest stories of the year” Yuri said as he opened the passenger side door and stepped out.

“It is simply not worth it” Zella said. As she stepped out of the car and watched Yuri pull cases of camera equipment out of the back, she remembered something that Kiki had mentioned.

“It’s never going to happen Zella” Kiki had said as her lazy smile had turned to a frown. “You’re just getting toyed with again.” It was evident from the way she said it, she was deeply concerned. Thought Kiki had not elaborated, Zella had known exactly what her friend was talking about. It had put her in a funk during the days that had followed.

“Let the sleazy tabloids do it then, if they can get the story” Zella said as she looked at the building with the fire engines and ambulances in front of it. “Now, let’s see if we can get the engine in the frame and do the story before the firemen object.”

Kurt is at the stage of his life where if you live long enough your enemies becomes your friends.
An interesting take on the marriage of Michael and Birdie by Gerta for whom I would never disagree with when it comes to other people's relationships.
The Good Ship LouZella was always destined to face a long rocky voyage with no guarantee that it will reach port but there is still plenty of time and distance for the ship to right itself.

Now it’s Kurt’s time to experience the shock of recognition from one’s former enemies, just as Manfred von Richtofen did when he ran into Mick Mannock (as I recall) in the 1930s, or Emil von Holz did when he ran into Omar Bradley during the Soviet War (as I recall) after their paths had crossed on one battlefield or another.