Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

And so comes the Freikorps.
Hopefully they'll get nipped in the bud.
Actually, they've been around the entire time with the basic organization dating back to the Nineteenth Century, just role that they played in OTL reveals that they are an opportunistic infection. In TTL they didn't get the same sort of opportunities until this situation in Southern Poland came along.

Last edited:
I thought that Ollie would have raised horses on his farm.
It was just over ten years ago ITTL that the PIM set off of couple of bombs and they were met with indifference to their cause by the Polish people.
As it has been posted by others, Poland economy is.just to tied in with Germany to go it alone.
Poland has it's own Olympics team, national anthem, military forces, and flag so they have their own symbols of nationhood.

ferdi254

Banned
Having gone to Olli might have been exactly the mistake to blow the whole matter up. Germany can under no circumstances allow such movements to thrive or the Pandora´s box would be wide open. There are more than enough potential border and national clashes in middle Europe where a successful Freikorps could entice others to follow suit. So if Olli gives this information along the right channels the Freikorps will cease to exist within weeks rather than months.

BTW, moving up the planned date of birth by one month, without looking it up, do we still have 9 months between marriage and birth?

Having gone to Olli might have been exactly the mistake to blow the whole matter up. Germany can under no circumstances allow such movements to thrive or the Pandora´s box would be wide open. There are more than enough potential border and national clashes in middle Europe where a successful Freikorps could entice others to follow suit. So if Olli gives this information along the right channels the Freikorps will cease to exist within weeks rather than months.

BTW, moving up the planned date of birth by one month, without looking it up, do we still have 9 months between marriage and birth?

All Olli has to do is give his old mate Kurt a call. That should set things nicely in motion.

I already did the math, it was the first thing I did when the post came out, Freddy and Suga were married on June 24th 1963 so it is about ten months when the little angel makes his or her appearance.
Of course this blessed event is going to create a controversy on the right as the reality of having a half Japanese ruler comes in to fruition.

I already did the math, it was the first thing I did when the post came out, Freddy and Suga were married on June 24th 1963 so it is about ten months when the little angel makes his or her appearance.
Of course this blessed event is going to create a controversy on the right as the reality of having a half Japanese ruler comes in to fruition.

Of which country? :evilsmile:

As the 1964 U.S. Presidential election rolls around, it is probably the last best chance for the United States has to end it's waffling on the issue of civil rights.
With an earlier passage of the ITTL Voter Rights Act coupled with no massive IOTL movement of African-Americans to areas outside the South, there will be a change coming whether people like or not.
From East Texas to South Carolina there is a stretch of counties and parishes that are from 30% to over 50% African-American and because of the denial of voting rights for them, a of the elected officials are staunch segregationists and that is going to be a flash point if the Federal government enforces the law.
In many cases the way the various districts are drawn is that they are majority African-American but because they were not allowed to vote the districts have white representatives and that could lead to AA candidates running and have the possibility of winning if the election is fair, IOTL Mississippi civil rights activists formed the Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party to send Delegates to the 1964 Democratic National Convention and to run candidates in local races and their symbol was the Black Panther, I could see other states in the South doing the same thing. As for the Presidential election itself, I see it as a wide open race with the Republicans winning if they pick a pro civil rights moderate but if they pursue a "Lilly White" strategy to pick up white segregationist voters that will prompt a backlash in the north as people from outside the South from my interpterion's from this time are tired of how the United states is being held back by the South.
On the Democratic side I see Sen. Humphrey leading the liberal wing, Vice President Symington should be the front runner but based on his OTL campaign in 1960 he is going to be considered to be too lazy, if Lyndon Johnson became the Governor of Texas and had a pro civil rights agenda he could be a front runner, and my favorite Darkhorse candidate the former Governor of Florida and current U.S. Ambassador to Germany LeRoy Collins who IOTL called for the end to racial discrimination and segregation.
On the Republican side it will mainly be between Rockefeller and Goldwater with Governors Romney of Michigan, Scranton of Pennsylvania, Rhodes of Ohio dipping their toes in to see if they have support and a Darkhorse possibility could be Sen. Thruston Morton of Kentucky a strong supporter of civil rights and an OTL co-sponsor of the 1965 Voter Rights Act. .

Part 100, Chapter 1608
Chapter One Thousand Six Hundred Eight

1st January 1964

Jena, Thuringia

Looking at the clock on the counter next to the sink, Kiki saw that it was nearly two o’clock in the morning and the test card was displayed on the screen of the television that she had left on. She had been watching it while waiting for midnight to roll around and had fallen asleep on the couch that divided her apartment between where she lived and where she slept. Ben had said that he would call. If he had, Kiki had slept through it. That was something that she would have to explain the next time they talked, which would be a bit embarrassing. Tomorrow… Or by now it would be later today, she would need to get a message to him. Kiki had lived up to Nadine’s demand that she not call or turn up at her house for the rest of the year in order to get her to keep quiet about the whole mess that had played out in October. 1963 might finally be over, but Kiki figured that calling Ben at home on New Year’s Day would be asking for trouble if Nadine was the one who answered. So, she would need to once again go through the cumbersome process of relaying messages through mutual friends.

As she unwrapped herself from the wool blanket, both Hera and Rauchbier who had been sleeping on her protested having to let her up. Turning off the television and closing the drapes. She saw that the New Years festivities had ended and the view out her window was of the rooftops of the sleeping town. There was a dusting of snow that would probably turn to drizzle in the morning. The ticking sound from the radiator was a reminder of how it was still mid-winter.

Kiki had been invited by Doctor Holz to a lunch that he was having with some colleagues of his as well as some other selected students. Zella was otherwise occupied in Berlin, which meant that Kiki would be there alone if she went. She would spend the whole afternoon with the others trying to draw her into the conversation in a well-meaning way, not realizing how exhausting she found it. Perhaps it would be better to just stay in and lose herself in a book instead, she thought to herself.

Leaving the comfort of her apartment, Kiki walked down the hallway to the bathroom that she shared with the other four tenants who lived on this floor. Because of the late hour, it was mercifully empty. Looking at her face in the mirror, Kiki could see how tired she looked as she brushed her teeth. She could also see the red of the blemish that was she felt rising on the side of her nose. She had left washing her face for too long and that was the result as she tried to make up for it now. In the documentary that Zella had made over the summer, that was one uncomfortable detail that had found its way into the final cut that was going to play on Public Television throughout Germany sometime in the coming weeks, that Kristina of Prussia, the Princess Royal of the German Empire, didn’t have particularly great skin. When Kiki had brought that up with Ben the last time they had talked, he had said that he thought that she looked perfect. As Kiki dried her face off, she wondered what to make of that.

Leaving the bathroom, Kiki encountered Dita, the Doctorial Student who lived down the hall from her. She was around thirty or so and her hair was a shade of red that could have only come from a bottle. Kiki had lived in close proximity to her for months and the only they seemed to share was a wall.

“About time you got done” Dita said with her voice slurred as she barged past Kiki into the bathroom. Judging by the smell, Dita had enjoyed a great deal of champagne over the course of the evening and now it was coming out. One way or the other. Kiki didn’t bother to stick around in order to find out which.

Once back in her apartment, Kiki swiftly changed into one of her Hertha jerseys and crawled into her bed, the weight of the covers comforting on a cold night. Her mind kept going back the events of the previous days.

After Christmas, Suga had asked for Kiki’s help in untangling the terms that Doctor Berg had thrown around while the ultrasound scan had been conducted. The Technician that Berg worked with had determined that Suga was at five months gestation with normal development, which meant that the due date would be around mid-April. Previously, it had been estimated to be in May. Freddy had pointed out that meant that it had been conceived while they were on there honeymoon in August. Regardless of what the Junkers thought of Suga, that normally was regarded as a good sign. Once they had gotten past that, Suga had asked Kiki what she thought. The fact that Kiki would have a niece or nephew in a few months had not even entered her thinking until then. That had been when Suga had confided in her some of the names that she had been batting around with Freddy, Louise would most certainly play a role if it was a girl, obvious. Some of Suga’s other ideas would definitely raise a few eyebrows though. Kiki told her that those sounded wonderful.

There were also the courses that Kiki had taken over the previous term and would be continuing over the next. Zella had been surprised to learn that Kiki was taking Theology and she had told her that it was for getting the Humanities prerequisite out of the way. That was a half-truth. While it did get the prerequisite out of the way, Kiki had wanted more than that out of it. When she had been a child, Kiki had gone to church with her mother as expected. It wasn’t until later that she had learned about it being Russian Orthodox. Lately though, she had started to have a bit of difficulty reconciling the simple beliefs of her childhood with the realities that she had been presented with as an adult. Her hope was that learning more about the ideology would help her with that.

Looking over, Kiki noticed that Rauchbier was looking at her over the edge of the bed. He liked to be with her but had been scared of Hera since he had been a puppy and had gotten badly scratched across the nose as the price for getting too close. At the moment Hera was off doing whatever it was she did in the night.

“You can join me” Kiki said, patting the covers beside her.

Rauchbier jumped up on the bed and affectionately licked Kiki’s chin as she scratched behind his ears. Regardless of whatever turmoil she was feeling, having a dog certainly helped.

While it is somewhat admirable that Kiki wants to live like a student on a grant it is not going to impress anyone and it is totally unrealistic given the resources and more importantly the obligations she has.
Already there should be grumblings from both the left and right that she has not earned nor deserves her place in med school and she is taking a spot that someone else could be using, that is going to be a distinctly minority opinion but none the less a very loud one.
There are times when Kiki has to sing for her supper by doing things like when a major donor for the University and Hospital is honored at a fundraising dinner it is Her Imperial Princess Kristina who is going to make the speech and present the award.
Kiki is also as her role as the poster girl for the JMS is going to have to pitch her fellow students on how service to the JMS is rewarding far beyond any finical considerations like the fact that on the Antarctic expedition that her brother is on is doing a great deal of important medical research and how her experience in Korea has made great strides in trauma medicine.
With all of this in mind she is going to need a much larger place then an one room flatlet with a shared bathroom with the rest of the floor.
She needs increased security because it is Jena and it's history, she needs a least one staff member from the palace to mange her schedule and keep it from getting out of hand because Kiki's main focus should be of course on medical school, and Kiki needs someone like a Mr. French from the television show Family Affair to keep her home life running smoothly as possible.

Already there should be grumblings from both the left and right that she has not earned nor deserves her place in med school and she is taking a spot that someone else could be using,

I'm not sure that's justified grumbling, and certainly lacks merit. As readers, we know she (just) made the grade on merit, and her military service has given her relevant experience, something other characters in the story won't be aware of to the extent we are.

I do agree with the rest of it though, playing at the poor student, is just that, playing. The Junker class will see it as being beneath her, while actual struggling students will just look at it like she is taking the piss.

A manager/secretary is a good idea. That might be something for Charlotte to suggest, or for Kiki to pick up on if she speaks to Maria Von Holtz.

I'm not sure that's justified grumbling, and certainly lacks merit. As readers, we know she (just) made the grade on merit, and her military service has given her relevant experience, something other characters in the story won't be aware of to the extent we are.
You are very right about that, I just forgot to insert a line about how at 22 years old Kiki has more then earned her place in the world many times over and as long as she doesn't abuse it she has every right to take every opportunity that she can.

Part 101, Chapter 1609
Chapter One Thousand Six Hundred Nine

4th January 1964

Moscow, Russia

Gia was still recovering and trying to come to grips with the baby that she had carried for the previous nine months. Fyodor had been happier than she had ever seen him. Being extremely reserved normally, the only time that Gia had ever seen him particularly animated was when he had a thorny problem to solve or was thinking a dozen moves ahead in chess. The only time that his intelligence had failed him was in his efforts to win over Gia. It hadn’t been until he gave up and showed her who he really was that he had finally succeeded in that effort. Just minutes earlier Georgy and Lidiya had been through. All they had done was remind her of just how exhausted she was.

Everyone in the hospital was buzzing about how the Czar’s cousin, the closest thing to a living saint that anyone knew of, had given birth to a baby boy. Just how healthy he was happened to be the open question that was weighing on everyone knowledgeable with the situation. Gia had been filled with nothing but apprehension since she had learned that she had a son. She feared what might happen. Would it be a bruise that would turn into a hemorrhage, or a scratch that wouldn’t stop bleeding that would let them know the truth? As much as she wanted to protect him, it kept running through Gia’s mind that the potentially lethal genetic legacy that that might have been passed to him could only have come from her if it manifested itself. All they could do was wait and see what happened which made it worse. There was testing that could be done, but the Doctors didn’t want to take the risk involved just yet. If he was a hemophiliac taking a blood sample could be extremely dangerous.

That was when Kat entered the room. She had travelled all the way from Berlin and had apparently gotten here only a couple hours after Fyodor had sent the message that Gia had gone into labor. Gia had no idea how many favors Kat had called in or how much jet fuel was burnt getting her here so fast.

“Do you mind?” Kat asked as she looked at the baby that Gia was holding.

Gia felt her gently lift the baby from her arms and she watched as Kat smiled with delight as she held him.

“Do you have a name yet?” Kat asked.

“No” Gia answered, “I haven’t even thought about that.” Kat must have seen something in her face when Gia said that.

“You’re frightened?” Kat asked.

“Hemophilia” Gia answered. The elephant in the room.

Kat frowned and looked at the baby, “They don’t know yet?”

“They can find out but there are risks” Gia said, “What if he is…” Gia trailed off, her earliest memories included the slow agonizing death of her mother’s younger brother.

“It can be controlled now” Kat replied, “This isn’t like with your uncle fifty years ago when your grandparents turned to a faith healer out of desperation because it wasn’t understood. Medicine has come a long way.”

“But what am I supposed to do?”

“There is only one thing you can do for Alexei” Kat said with a smile.

And Gia hoped that Kat was joking because otherwise she must have completely lost her mind to even suggest that.

Jena, Thuringia

When Vicky came to Jena, she came in a manner “Befitting a woman of her station” as well as certain Royal grants having been made to the University on her behalf, and Kiki was disturbed by how fast everyone fell into line. These were the same people who had been treating her as if she didn’t belong for months. Of course, Vicky was full of questions. Why was Kiki taking General Education courses this year as opposed to being in the Medical Program? Being the first one out of her mouth as she found Kiki in a field on the edge of Jena where she brought Rauchbier so that he could really run. Kiki tried to answer that as best she could, clearly Vicky didn’t get her reasoning. She said that it sounded to her like Kiki was keeping herself busy while she waited for a slot in the Medical Academy to open. Calling what were elective courses prerequisites when they weren’t related to what she would be doing next year sounded silly to Vicky. Kiki knew that her sister would never understand that she took those courses in an effort to grow as a person. It was the next question that got to Kiki though.

“Why are you living like this?” Vicky asked, “No one is impressed by it, they call you a tourist and say that you are just a rich girl slumming it.”

That couldn’t be more wrong, and Kiki had to take a breath in order not to rip Vicky’s head off.

“It is not about that” Kiki said as she watched Rauchbier tear across the field, “It’s about power, and who has it over me.”

Vicky gave Kiki a bewildered look.

“It is like this Vicky” Kiki said, “Last summer when I bought the stock in Sony, I had those petty little shits in the Hohenzollern Trust all over me. They said that if I wanted to spend my money on pretty dresses or jewelry that would be fine, but business was something that wasn’t my concern. Then they asked me what I had done with the stock certificates and I told them to fuck off.”

“What does that have to do with anything?” Vicky asked.

“They threatened me” Kiki said, “Told me that I could play by their rules or I could live by my own means. This is what living by my own means looks like.”

“They followed through on that?” Vicky asked, “Does Poppa know?”

“I have no idea if they did or not” Kiki replied, “I don’t care.”

Last edited:
Well setting up tanker missions might take a bit, long range two seat supersonic bombers available? B58 was from the late 50's and all kinds of designs were out there. Just take a prototype that is not one they are going to produce and use it to in those immortal word "when it absolutely positively has to be there" and get her there.

“It is like this Vicky” Kiki said, “Last summer when I bought the stock in Sony, I had those petty little shits in the Hohenzollern Trust all over me. They said that if I wanted to spend my money on pretty dresses or jewelry that would be fine, but business was something that wasn’t my concern. Then they asked me what I had done with the stock certificates and I told them to fuck off.”

The sneakier solution would then have been to buy as much jewellery as allowed, auction it off after one use (probably at a nice premium), and use the money to buy stock. Repeat as needed... ;)