Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

Or some one at Danver
Some of the things that she said though had suggested that he was someone who was distinguished, rich, powerful and married at the time that Asia had taken him as a lover.

^this, and I think Asia would do whatever it takes to cut herself off of everything that had to do with Danvers. Running into the arms of someone from there seems like the last thing she'd do.

Marc A

There may be a reason that Truman is in Berlin at this time, he is still one of the "Kingmakers" in the Democratic Party and he may be looking at ITTL United States Ambassador to Germany LeRoy Collins to be the next nominee for President.
IOTL LeRoy Collins gave a speech calling for the moral necessity for the end of segregation being the first Southern Governor to do so.
ITTL being the Governor of Florida he had nothing to with the "Corrupt Bargain of 1960" and by being the Ambassador to Germany he has stayed out of the domestic politics in the United States and just like how James Buchanan became the Democratic Party nominee in 1856 because he was the Minister to Great Britain and also stayed out of the domestic politics of the United States.

James Buchanan became the Democratic Party nominee in 1856 because he was the Minister to Great Britain and also stayed out of the domestic politics of the United States.

THat is not really a good comparison considering that Buchanan was a self-serving twat and totally out of his depth by the time he came to the Presidency....

Nixon 64.
Its the only way for Sure.
It all depend on how the 1964 Republican Party contest goes, it should be an overwhelming GOP year in 1964 but they could tear themselves apart between the Eastern Establishment Rockefeller Republicans and the Goldwaterites.
There is also from what has been posted by Peabody-Martini that voters outside the South are not happy with the fact that the South is still holding the United States back.
PM has also posted that he is not going for a Second American Civil War scenario, so it is most likely that he is going for a less dramatic but more logical storyline going forward.

Part 99, Chapter 1578
Chapter One Thousand Five Hundred Seventy-Eight

7th July 1963

Potsdam

Charlotte was having a good week by anyone’s standard. Her efforts towards the reduction of poverty and increasing the educational opportunities for those in the working class were starting to bear fruit. To her complete shock, Charlotte’s oldest stepdaughter had come to her because she needed someone to talk to. It was something that Charlotte had assumed would never happen because Kristina could be incredibly shy, one could tell that she was thinking about things constantly, but she seldom told anyone what she was passing through her mind.

It was difficult marrying into a family where her husband was a widower and already had children from his previous marriage. When she thought about it that way, Charlotte realized that her situation was no better than any other client that she had regardless of her station. Kira cast a long shadow over everything that happened, and it had been particularly obvious with Louis’ daughters. Kristina had buried herself in her education and career, while Marie Cecilie and Victoria had been given her a cold shoulder as they were too busy arguing with each other to really care. They had all excepted Antonia readily enough, particularly Friedrich who let her serve as caretaker to his dogs while he was in the city. It was debatable if Antonia took care of the dogs, or if they saw her as a part of their human family who needed to be watched over.

Then on Sunday, Kristina had confided in Charlotte the difficulties that she was having and had asked for advice. All she had asked in return was that Charlotte not judge her for the various mistakes that she had made. It quickly became obvious that Kristina had painted herself into a corner. She was uncomfortable with the public image that people had of her, particularly the parts that she knew were false. There was also the complicated relationship that she had with Doctor Nora Berg, a woman who been Kristina’s mentor but had come to see her as a daughter of sorts because of determination to enter the Medical Profession regardless of the obstacles in her way.

As for the rest, being a Social Worker wasn’t something that Charlotte had ever taken lightly. That was the lens that she had to view her stepdaughter through. She knew that young women were pressured to live according to ideals that they often fell well short of. Kristina having a “roll in the hay” with her boyfriend was the sort of thing that happened when they inevitably fell well short of that ideal. That she had attempted to avoid the more serious consequences of such an action suggested that she had taken to heart some of the words of her elders to heart. Berg’s reaction had been that of a concerned mother who was trying to get her daughter to be sensible but wasn’t particularly good at it. Charlotte’s advice to Kristina had been that she should continue to see Berg socially, but she needed to also find a new Doctor. Charlotte had also suggested that Kristina needed to take a good look at the literature that Berg had given her, find something that worked for her and then stick with it. Charlotte wasn’t Kristina’s mother and she didn’t pretend to be. She went into the mode of being a Social Worker and had given her the advice she needed at that moment.

What Charlotte had not brought up was what she thought was the source of Kristina’s difficulties. The closest she had come was when she called Kristina somewhat reckless and socially inept. In Charlotte’s opinion, the biggest mistake that had been made was in allowing an introvert like Kristina to retreat into her own little world of books and fantasy, which was exactly what had happened. So long as she didn’t cause trouble, the adults around Kristina were happy to let her do that and they had completely ignored how lonely she was throughout her childhood. Kristina herself was fond of saying that she and her siblings were unaware that any of that was out of the ordinary, one of the saddest bits of commentary that Charlotte had ever heard. Charlotte had discussed with Louis how to help Kristina and he had the idea that perhaps doing something that would be fun but would require her to come out of her shell was what she needed.

Finally, there was Kristina’s reluctance to say exactly why she had needed to apologize to Victoria after apparently talking bluntly to her over some personal matter. Kristina had talked all around the matter for several minutes before finally saying that she did not want to have another reason to apologize to her sister. That had ended the conversation. Charlotte knew from talking to Louis that Kristina had told him that it was impossible for Victoria to be pregnant, yet in recent weeks Kristina and Marie Cecilie had rallied to their sister in a way that had become unexpected in recent years, but in the past they had always sided with each other against the entire world if they had to. Something serious had changed and it was a secret that none of them wanted spread around. Charlotte wasn’t stupid, she’d had a fairly good idea of what was really going on for some time and was wondering when, or if, the three of them would ever trust her enough to confide it to her.

ferdi254

Banned
Berg’s reaction had been that of a concerned mother

that was eactly nailing it on the head (which should be sort of easy for the guy who wrote that reaction in the first place :openedeyewink:). As a professional physician she stepped way out of her bounds in that case. That one night is by now literally a whole war(!) in the past, the couple had acted sensibly (actually the injection that been done by Berg is against even the lax ethical standards of the 60´s) so why bring this up again? Since that night Kristina had more (far far more) than her fair share of traumatizing events and just going into a normal relationship with a perosn which of course normally includes sex should not be treated as something endangering or bad or vile.

Also just giving her that tea without even asking if there is a need for that... sorry, apart from all other disucssions it shows a deep mistrust. Also not the most professional attitude. "In case you lied to me I just took the measures needed" is not a way a doctor should treat patients.

that was eactly nailing it on the head (which should be sort of easy for the guy who wrote that reaction in the first place :openedeyewink:). As a professional physician she stepped way out of her bounds in that case. That one night is by now literally a whole war(!) in the past, the couple had acted sensibly (actually the injection that been done by Berg is against even the lax ethical standards of the 60´s) so why bring this up again? Since that night Kristina had more (far far more) than her fair share of traumatizing events and just going into a normal relationship with a perosn which of course normally includes sex should not be treated as something endangering or bad or vile.

Also just giving her that tea without even asking if there is a need for that... sorry, apart from all other disucssions it shows a deep mistrust. Also not the most professional attitude. "In case you lied to me I just took the measures needed" is not a way a doctor should treat patients.
That's simply because dr. Berg knows Kristina. She's stubborn, difficult, self-flagellating, and tends to ignore things that don't fit into her view of how things are (especially when pertaining to herself).

Dr. Berg would especially know that Kiki is quite prone to ignore her own health. Honestly, her career as first responder makes her look at medical issues as through a horses' blinders: if it's not missing a limb or shot in the lungs, or otherwise dying, it's not a real issue.

Last edited:
Part 99, Chapter 1579
Chapter One Thousand Five Hundred Seventy-Nine

13th July 1963

Potsdam

Kat had told Asia that her sitting in the window all afternoon watching the world go by was bad for her and she had driven Asia to the Palace because Charlotte had asked to see her. It turned out that Kat was right about getting out of the house. Being at the center of attention in the Court of the Empress was a bit overwhelming. Charlotte was full of questions. When was it due? Did the scans reveal that it was healthy? Was also determined if it was a boy or girl?

Asia ran through the answers quickly. At any time. It was healthy enough to be stomping on Asia’s bladder, the scan didn’t need to tell her that. They were also fairly certain that it was a boy. She had mentioned her bladder.

With that the Empress dismissed her to go to the lavatory, but not before telling Asia that they had a great deal to discuss when she came back. She refused Kat’s help as she made her way there. Afterwards, Asia took a minute to wash her face in the sink. Looking at her face in the mirror, she saw how blotchy her skin was and the dark rings under her eyes. For the thousandth time that day she thought about how this was no way to live.

Opening the door to the lavatory, Asia was greeted by a woman who she had never been introduced to. She recognized her all the same though. That was why it wasn’t a surprise when she slapped Asia across the face. All Asia could think about was how if she wasn’t heavily pregnant, she would have made short work of her.

“Whore” The woman hissed at her with an… English? accent.

“I don’t think we’ve been properly introduced Margret” Asia said, completely ignoring how her cheek was smarting.

“You saw fit to fuck my husband enough times for this… THIS TO HAPPEN!” Margret said looking at Asia’s belly, her voice raising as she said that.

“It only takes once” Asia said, “And I didn’t see anyone with a gun to his head. If he had told me he was married, I might have told him to get lost.”

Margret glared at her and she raised her hand to slap Asia again, but Kat caught her hand. “You need to go before you make matters worse” Kat said mildly to Margret.

“No matter what the Emperor says, I will not have your bastard son living in my house” Margret said before stalking off.

“What was that about?” Asia asked.

“Her husband approached Louis Ferdinand and asked if he could legitimize your child when it comes using what Wilhelm the 2nd did for Lagertha von Wolvogle as precedent” Kat said, “The alternative is that particular family will be effectively extinct once he passes away. And you just told the Empress that you are expecting a boy in front of his wife… Why did you have to have an affair with a Großherzog? It made this an even bigger mess than it needed to be.”

“I was pretty messed up at the time” Asia replied, “You ought to know better than anyone that contraception isn’t perfect.”

Kat paused and gave her a look like if she wanted to slap Asia herself.

“I hate to ask this” Kat said, “But are you even sure it is his?”

“He was the only man that I have had sex with, in the last year” Asia said, not liking it, but understanding why the question was asked. “Satisfied?”

“Hardly” Kat said, “But this could be a way to salvage some good from this situation.”

“How did that work out for Gerta?” Asia asked, her voice dripping with sarcasm. “This is why I didn’t want anyone to know who the father was.”

Kat frowned, Ritter Manfred von Wolvogle had made sure that his daughter inherited his title and the bulk of his estate through his relationship with the Emperor. Even so, his wife had done her level best to make Gerta and her mother’s lives miserable until she had finally died of a stroke just a couple years earlier. That whole thing had dragged on far longer than it needed to have.

----------------------------------------------------------------

It was outrageous. Kiki had learned when she had arrived in Rangsdorf that her departure from the FSR had already been arranged ahead of her. She was promoted to Hauptmann and transferred to the Staff of the Emperor, meaning her father had asked for her personally. That meant that she had been in Rangsdorf just long enough to learn that before she had headed right back to Potsdam.

Her response to that was to do as little as possible over the prior days, sulking in her suite on the couch, watching television with Hera and Rauchbier sitting on her. Sure, having Rauchbier meant that she would need to walk him whenever he needed to go out, but she knew the Sanssouci Palace better than anyone else alive. It made avoiding people fairly easy. That was why she was out in the early afternoon sun watching Rauchbier when her father came looking for her. Before she had left Rangsdorf, Sigi had told her that it would probably be good for her to take Rauchbier with her because there was a bit of concern about him. Like almost all dogs he was a mooch and it was impossible to keep someone from slipping him a treat. Sigi was worried that he was going to finish growing up and then end up extremely fat.

Watching Rauchbier run around, Kiki was a bit annoyed. The reason he had needed to go out seemed to have been forgotten the instant he was outside. “I think I should have brought a photographer with me” Kiki heard her father say, “Let everyone see Kiki as opposed to Princess Kristina.”

Kiki was wearing one of her old Hertha jerseys and grey trackpants. Her father would know better than anyone that these were basically her pajamas. She hadn’t bothered to brush out her hair, so it was a mess. It occurred to her that perhaps she would be better off if the world saw her like this. As human as anyone else.

“What do you want?” Kiki asked with some resignation as Rauchbier came running back to her.

“I thought I should tell you why I asked for you to be assigned to my staff” Louis said as Rauchbier was sniffing at his shoes.

“I figured that it was to keep me out of trouble” Kiki replied.

“That would be a bit of a lost cause” Louis said, “Instead I would like to see you to take a turn at diplomacy.”

“That is the exact opposite of keeping me out of trouble” Kiki said, “I would start a war the instant I opened my mouth.”

Louis smiled, “I think you should give yourself a bit more credit” He said, “And I think you will find what I’m asking of you to be fun.”

Last edited:
This makes me wonder if she is going to Korea or some other place where she has saved lives, so that she can see how thankful people are for what she has done.

It is 1963 and the World Fair is in Seattle, so Kiki is going to do something at the German Pavilion.
Wrong that was 1962, the movie It Happened at the World Fair starring Elvis Presley was released in 1963.
Another possible answer is going to the German Pacific Islands and opening a hospital.

Louis smiled, “I think you should give yourself a bit more credit” He said, “And I think you will find what I’m asking of you to be fun.”

Has he played a "father" yet? As in, sent Kiki to the furthermost side of the planet away from Ben:p
Großherzog

Had to look that up. A grand Duke? Wow. So, someone from these areas/houses? Baden, Hesse, Oldenburg, Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Mecklenburg-Strelitz and Saxe-Weimar

Would seem to be Ludwig of Hesse.
Although got to admit it. If Ludwig wants to not only legitimize the bastard child , but make it HIS Heir, it seems that it is a massive "Fuck You" to his legal Wife. Seems that the lady couldn't conceive at that what it makes it double the insult. Ludwig would certainly consider that regardless of her origins, Asia is a far more worthy and hardy woman, and the subsequent male child of "Good Blood" enough, plus the extensive network of well placed familiars to be his heir......

Last edited: