Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

How do you DO it?

Easy answer: in Chat
Harder answer: (for this and other non-chat forums)

A discussion or serious mention of a current political figure in the present tense is a yellow flag, but can be fine.

A discussion or serious mention of a current political debate or issue is also a yellow flag but can be ok as well.

A discussion or serious mention of a current leader and their controversial political positions is very orange but can be done, especially if asking more quantitative/clinical/academic questions AND it’s discussed in a non-offensive way to either supporters or opponents.

A joking reference to a current political leader on a major political controversy she’s got a big role in is strictly chat, regardless of whether you’re pro or against.

FBKampfer

Banned
I was attempting to top Rinasoir's joke with one of my own and stupidly didn't consider that I had strayed into commentary on contemporary politics for which CalBear quite rightly warned me. I can assure you that I am not personally a xenophobia nor am I a fenian (rather the reverse in fact. Northern Irish. Ulster Scot. Planter.). Whitey Bulger is quite well known in Irish political circles due to a conspiracy theory that one Charles Haughey took a substantial payoff to conceal him from the US authorities.

My misunderstanding. Carry on.

Part 98, Chapter 1558
Chapter One Thousand Five Hundred Fifty-Eight

30th April 1963

Tempelhof, Berlin

His studies forgotten on his desk. Ben was staring out the window of his bedroom replaying the last conversation with Kiki in his mind.

At first, Ben had been confused about how the phone conversation that he’d had with Kiki had become very awkward. It wasn’t until afterwards that Ben realized that he had basically told Kiki that he loved her, and he figured that she must have been on the verge of panic once he had said that. It had been a few days since then and he had not heard from her again and he could only imagine what Kiki must be thinking. If Ben was being honest, he really did love her. Just it was impossible to tell with Kiki what she was thinking or feeling, so he had no idea how she would react if he really told her that. She tended to dwell on some things and endlessly examine others in minute detail. It seemed like things that were simple always ended up needlessly complex and messy. Ben’s father had told him that it was partially because she was a woman, that came with the territory. The rest was because it was Kiki being, well, Kiki. There was no other way to describe it.

Added to this was what had happened with Oberst Stigler the day before…

There was a knock on the door before it swung open. Ben saw his mother with a nervous look on her face, “You’ve a guest Benjamin” She said before retreating to presumably safer ground.

Having everyone know that Ben had been dating Kiki had a lot of unforeseen consequences for his mother. While she had been gleeful at first thinking that Kiki’s prediction that exposure would end the relationship was coming to pass. Watching Kiki effectively bringing Kat von Mischner to heel had left her positively euphoric. Then life had gone on, she had found herself subjected to unexpected jealousy and resentment within her social circle. People who had never liked her had told her what they actually thought of her. Ben’s father had described the situation as the result of there being a serious disruption in the ecosystem.

It was when Charlotte entered his bedroom, much to Ben’s surprise. He had met Kiki’s Stepmother on a few occasions but had never spoken with her at length to any extent about anything. Ben wondered exactly why she was here.

“Something going on with Kiki?” Ben asked.

“Other than her attempts to convince her father that she should be allowed to return to Berlin?” Charlotte asked in reply, “Not a whole lot I would imagine.”

“Then why are you here?” Ben asked.

“I wanted to see how you were doing” Charlotte replied, “I know that you have a full plate on top dealing with the likes of Kristina.”

“Exactly what do you know?” Ben asked.

“That Oberst Stigler told you what my husband said to him” Charlotte said, fortunately she didn’t seem to find it funny.

The Emperor had spoken with Ben’s Commanding Officer regarding Ben’s failed application to join the Space Program and had said that he didn’t mind the thought of shooting Ben into Outer Space if Ben ever got it all straightened out. Stigler had suggested that getting him back was purely optional and the Emperor had laughed before saying that it would depend on Ben’s intentions regarding his daughter. Ben had only met Louis Ferdinand a few times and he had found the Emperor extremely intimidating. Having him find out about what had happened with the application was particularly embarrassing. Ben had been told that while he didn’t qualify presently, he should continue with his studies at University and reapply at a later time. Once he got a degree in either Astronomy or Computer Science it would probably sweeten the deal considerably.

“I didn’t find it as funny as they did” Ben replied.

“Louis is playing the role of a concerned father looking into one of his daughter’s suitors” Charlotte said, “Though I would be careful in your shoes, he was not entirely joking and unlike anyone else you will ever encounter he can make it happen.”

That wasn’t a surprise.

“Doesn’t he have other daughters?” Ben asked, “I’ve never heard of him acting this way towards anyone else.”

“Antonia is a child, Marie Cecilie hasn’t met the right man” Charlotte replied, “And Victoria doesn’t seem to be attracted to men in general. I am not sure what her deal is.”

Kiki had a few ideas about the more conservative of her younger twin sisters that she had told him, and Ben had a feeling that Charlotte would not see the irony that Kiki had.

“I also wanted to see where you lived” Charlotte said as she looked at a poster of a star chart that was tacked to the wall.

While the room wasn’t a mess, it was cluttered with the contents of Ben’s flat still crammed into the room. Ben knew that it probably wasn’t going to give Charlotte the best impression.

“The contents of my flat had to be crammed into here after I lost my flat last year” Ben replied, “That is the reason for the mess.”

“Korea?” Charlotte asked.

“Yes” Ben replied, “This is what greeted me when I got back.”

“What were you expecting?” Charlotte asked, “Failure to plan and all that.”

Having heard it many times before, Ben knew that expression well. Failure to plan on your part does not constitute a crisis on mine.

Last edited:
Watching Kiki effectively bringing Kat von Mischner to heel had left her positively euphoric. Then life had gone on, she had found herself subjected to unexpected jealousy and resentment within her social circle. People who had never liked her had told her what they actually thought of her.
Seems that the Mrs just found that she's in polite words a "Blind Moron who seems bent in ruining the status of her family and her son out of ignorance."

Let see Nadine is married to a highly respected Professor of Chemistry at one of the world’s best university, her son is one of the Empire’s newest war heroes and is apparently dating the most respected member of the Imperial Family, and she lives in one of the most desirable section of Berlin.
Nadine has no idea how good she has it and it seems to others that she is willing to throw all of it away on her own imagined grudges.

Well Nadine’s really going to get it if she says any Margot-like comments to someone whose son got saved by Kiki in Korea.

That and the minor detail that she adds a layer of public pressure in favor of the match in terms of creating a narrative of star-crossed lovers in the public mind, especially given how Maria would have written the story.

At this point in time the popularity of the Imperial Family and the institution of the Monarchy is at an all time high and the most repeated question is "Do we really need them anymore?" .
In an earlier post the Emperor made a point about whenever there is a change in the Imperial Family such as briths, deaths, and in this case the Marriage of the Crown Prince and Princess Suga this question is being asked more frequently, while it is still a decidedly minority position it still is getting a lot of attention.
The main drive for republicans is going to come from the various states that still have Kings and other royalty that are the Heads of States but only in a ceremonial role and the expense of keeping them is going to be called into question about if the expense of keeping them is still worth it.
As Emperor of the German Empire, Louis Ferdinand is probably the most respected person in the world right now and the most effective salesman of German foreign policy and more importantly German goods, and any visit by him and his family to other nations is highly valued and just adds to the prestige of Germany and it is used by the government as a carrot to advance the interests of the Empire.
This is the reason that the Wedding is such a big deal to the rest of the world as this will be largest gathering of world leaders since the funeral of Queen Victoria and the spotlight will be shining brightly on what kind of nation Germany is.

ferdi254

Banned
And anyone being foolish enough to attack this wedding would be at the completely wrong side of all you can imagine (criminal investigations, KAT, all secret services united...).Absolutely no positive emotions toward that people.

And anyone being foolish enough to attack this wedding would be at the completely wrong side of all you can imagine (criminal investigations, KAT, all secret services united...).Absolutely no positive emotions toward that people.

OTOH, if you’re trying to cause chaos for world revolution or to spark off a host of other secondary goals beyond those of your group, what better opportunity to sow some disruption. Alternatively, it’d be a super revenge play if Senior Arbusto in this timeline had developed a terminal illness.

ferdi254

Banned
Just how much sympathy has the AUN sect attracted? And what else did they achieve? There is a point to make a point and there is a time when winning will make you the ultimate looser.

Just how much sympathy has the AUN sect attracted? And what else did they achieve? There is a point to make a point and there is a time when winning will make you the ultimate looser.

The point of the sect isn't to gain support or sympathy.

They are patsies for a higher power.

Sorta side question, how do the Japanese TTL view the chemical industry since they got burned and gassed with some very nasty gases at the end of the war? Is it the equivalent of the anti-nuclear activism?

If so, Ben’s dad could make for an awkward situation around the wedding if his role in the war were to be leaked.

Sorta side question, how do the Japanese TTL view the chemical industry since they got burned and gassed with some very nasty gases at the end of the war? Is it the equivalent of the anti-nuclear activism?

If so, Ben’s dad could make for an awkward situation around the wedding if his role in the war were to be leaked.
It all depends on how the Japanese people see the end of the war played out.
If there was a solid peace deal that was considered to be "Honorable" with no war guilt, occupation, or trials for war crimes demanded and was accepted by the Emperor and the Imperial War Council, but was then sabotaged by the "Flea Bomb" attack by the IJA, then that is a factor.
Also Germany sent to Japan the Sarin Film showing what would happen if Japan used chemical or biological weapons.
Finally the rescue of capture of the Japanese Imperial Family by the Sea Lions led by Tilo Schultz and that resulted in the IJA-IJN Civil War which the IJN won and a peace deal was signed by the two Emperors to end the war.
So in this scenario the IJA is held responsible for the actions and consequences by the Japanese people because none of this would have happened if the IJA followed orders.
Ben's father is basically going to be looked on as just one of many who worked on the project but did not have anything to do about how it was deployed against Japan.

Part 98, Chapter 1559
Chapter One Thousand Five Hundred Fifty-Nine

12th May 1963

Potsdam

The Hall was festively decorated in the warm colors of Summer to celebrate the changing seasons. The wind driven rain that was running down the windows told an entirely different story. The calendar might say that it was nearly Summertime but the storm outside suggested that the cold, wet Spring wasn’t over just yet. Victoria Augusta was finding the weather was perfect reflection of her mood. Not that she showed it to the guest who she was currently entertaining.

“What was that supposed to have meant?” The Prince of Naples asked, and Vicky felt nothing but revulsion at his apparent dullness. Her mother had tried years earlier to broker a marriage between Kiki and Vittorio. That had worked out as well as anything else that her mother tried to do with Kiki. Meaning that it had been a complete train wreck. Admittedly, the Italian Prince had a reputation of being a shameless womanizer as well as being personally reckless. The hope the House of Savoy had was that the Italian Crown Prince would meet and marry a respectable woman before he caused a scandal or inherited the throne. Whichever came first. That was the stated reason for sending him to the capitals of other European nations, though it was just as likely an excuse to get rid of him for a few months.

Vittorio had been trying to charm Ria and Vicky. Making Vicky glad that this afternoon’s event was chaperoned in the process. He had mentioned Kiki once in passing, making sure that she was out of the capital because word had spread about her killing two men. Ria had told him that he had little to worry about on that score. Then she had walked away while Vittorio was trying to figure out what that had meant, leaving Vicky with him. Out of aggravation Vicky almost blurted out that Ria had implied that she didn’t consider him to be much of a man. Once again, Ria got to play the “fun one” leaving Vicky to be the “serious one” who had to be responsible and nobody liked.

Vicky was realizing that she had no opinion either way. Yes, Vittorio made her skin crawl and the way that he couldn’t seem to stop staring towards things he shouldn’t be was becoming annoying. At the same time, he was just the latest in a long series of men who she wasn’t attracted to. Vittorio just happened to be the worst of the entire wretched lot. That was in keeping with all the things that Vicky found were disappointing about herself. Her sisters found things in men that they thought were attractive while she had never seen the appeal.

“If you would please excuse me” Vicky said to Vittorio who just nodded indifferently. He had noticed that the bar had opened and that was what all his attention was focused on. Vicky refrained from voicing her disapproval of his personal habits. Tante Katherine always told her to pick her battles carefully and scolding an overgrown child was a waste of her time.

Walking quickly in the direction that Ria had disappeared, Vicky left the reception hall and walked down the corridor towards the Lady’s Wing. While the reception that was celebrating the reopening of the Summer Residence was going on, the business of the Imperial Court still was proceeding normally. The meeting that Charlotte was conducting with the senior Ladies of the Court was just letting out.

Ria was talking with their Stepmother and Tante Katherine while the others were filing out of the room. Asia Lawniczak, the Mistress of Keys was walking towards Vicky and it was too late to avoid her. The pregnancy that had caused so much speculation around the Court was starting to show. Vicky had found herself appalled by the whole situation. No one knew who the father was, and she had refused to tell anyone that information. How could Asia, a Lady of the Court and a confidante of the Empress behave in such a shameless manner? It should have been a scandal, but no one seemed to care. Just a few hours earlier Vicky had attended a service held in the Garrison Church, the sermon had been about the moral decay that seemed to be overtaking the Empire. From Vicky’s perspective, Asia personified that. The sort of sexual deviancy she was said to have engaged in…

“Victoria” Asia said in greeting. “Was the Prince of Naples not to your liking?”

“I find him to be gross” Vicky replied, “Last I saw of him he was getting his first drink of the day.”

“If it makes you feel better, I find him the same way” Asia said, “I was just telling your Stepmother that he will probably be the best friend of the Italian Republican movement in the coming decades unless he should happen to have an unfortunate misadventure in the meantime. While that would be better for everyone, I don’t want to give the BND any ideas.”

Asia must have seen something cross Vicky’s face because her expression changed.

“I know you don’t approve of me” Asia said, “But life is that silly thing that happens to you despite your plans.”

“It is not my place to judge” Vicky replied, if she had taken anything away from attending Church it was that.

“I can tell you don’t mean that” Asia said as she reached out and touched Vicky’s cheek. It was an action that was meant to be compassionate, but it felt differently to Vicky.

Asia must have noticed, because Vicky noticed a flicker of surprise cross her face.

“You’ll never be happy until you accept yourself” Asia said, confirming Vicky’s worst fears.

Then Asia walked off. Vicky absolutely hated how she had just betrayed herself and the meaning behind what Asia had said in that moment.

Last edited:
Usually with considerable panache.
heres-to-you.jpg

For Vicky she might want to talk to Dr. Nora Berg as she had some great advice for Kiki regarding the Crown Prince of Bavaria.
For the more cynical shippers amongst us, this is the perfect solution for Vicky as she can have the prestige of being the Queen of Italy while discretely have a relationship with the special someone that she wants.
All she has to do is take a couple for the team by that I mean having children.
Vicky is someone who I think will raise any children she has to be better persons than whatever their father is.

I think the "accident" is a better idea. Presentable wife or no presentable wife, the Prince is an asshole who will act as a trouble magnet. If you want a velvet marriage the royal houses of Germany are liberally festooned with gay princes. Plus the Swedish and Danish royal houses. One of the Hesses was a quite decent painter to boot.