Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

Good thoughts @ejpsan and to add another dimension, the USA, or at least the "business elite" got cookie jared in Spain, the whole USA was very inactive and trades "unfavorably" in WWII, again was present in South Africa and Mexico and now China...
It sounds, at least together and for me, as if the USA is a international destabelising factor. And I would not be surprised, if later on in the League that is brought up.
Even more so if the USA is crying about their dead. As I read Jonny as dieing near an Anti-Ship missile battery. And strongly think that the USA sold that to the Chinese... So internationally they could be seen as helping Nations wage wars of aggression. And depending on the international situation that could sooner or later fall on their feet.

I am trying to picture what an average Chinese soldier is going thru right now.
First he knows that the unit he is in does not have the best equipment or training, those are reserved for the units around Beijing.
He also knows that by now the Koreans and Germans are in heavily prepared defensive positions backed by pre sighted artillery and on call air support.
His commanders have been selected for their loyalty to Chiang Kai-shek and not for their competence, and the only thing in their playbook is to order full frontal assaults on the Korean and German lines.
He first has to survive a massive coordinated artillery attack, then get past all the land mines that are funneling him and his fellow soldiers in to kill zones that are raking them with mortars and machine guns, if he survives that he is now facing very well trained entrenched troops with the best weapons in the world.
All around him he is seeing his fellow soldiers dying or getting wounded which is really dying but much more slowly, his best hope is to surrender to the Germans because the Koreans are not in the mood to take prisoners.
If he does get back unscathed he has to worry about being made an example and shot for cowardice or worse yet put in a new unit and go through this again tomorrow.

It wouldn't be the first time a Chinese military leader did the math figured that he was screwed either way and decided that he. might as well be hanged for a sheep.

... you know, that would be a nice trigger for a Chinese Civil War, if the BND were willing to play dirty. Influence possible Chinese POW, see if there's someone in there with a good potential for leadership and straight enough to not bite them in the arse... and sneak them back to China to sow the seeds of discord.

Part 94, Chapter 1482
Chapter One Thousand Four Hundred Eighty-Two

2nd April 1962

Tempelhof, Berlin

“I’m not either of your parents” Berg said, “There is absolutely nothing you can tell me that would surprise me. So, when you are ready.”

Berg said that as soon as Zella sat down. She had been sent home a couple days earlier. Berg knew that Zella was still bleeding though. Not physically though, instead it was the sort of mental wounds that a Medical Doctor couldn’t treat as easily. The reason for the invitation was that Berg missed having the weekly lunches with someone she could talk to about ordinary things. Zella clearly needed someone she could talk to other than her father. He had patiently waited for her to tell him what had happened, and she had. It was a simple enough story, with her friends moving on personally and professionally as well as the ongoing conflicts at home, Zella had been left with some serious problems. She had no direction in life or any idea about what she wanted. It was something that had left her vulnerable, someone had seen an opportunity and had taken advantage of her.

Berg suspected that it was the junior Professor who had suddenly resigned in the middle of the term and had told everyone that he was planning on spending some time abroad. She wondered if she spoke to the Porters in the Casualty Department, they would tell her that he had come in with contusions and other trauma associated with having been on the receiving end of a beating. A beating that had come with the promise of far worse if he didn’t go somewhere far away. Berg wondered exactly how much his wife must have known and what she would make of the sudden move.

Dealing with Zella herself was a bit of a challenge for Nora Berg. Zella had been perfectly content to have a British Musician spread the rumor that she was gay widely because it caused other Musicians to not hit on her and once they thought that she would never be into them they tended to treat her like if she were one the guys. At the same time Berg saw her as someone who was hurting and in need of help. While Zella had not opened up about her sexual history prior to recent events, some of the things that Kiki had said about her friend suggested that Zella had hardly been chaste as a teenager. Kiki had also talked often about how she wished that she was more like Zella, who was fearless and bold. What Berg was discovering was that Zella was a deeply insecure young woman who projected a false front of being bold that she didn’t exactly possess. Then she had had a class being taught by a man who knew how to spot those insecurities and exploit them, coercing Zella into sexual relationship and dropping her the instant she became an inconvenience.

Zella sat there for a long moment poking at her lunch with a fork. Over the last few days it had become apparent that Zella wasn’t eating the wrong things like Kiki had, it was that she wasn’t eating at all. “You don’t want to hear it” She said, “It’s all so pathetic.”

Why was it that some men’s greatest talent was in destroying the self-worth of young women? Berg thought to herself. The contrast between the now and when Zella had confronted her the prior summer was just staggering.

“Fine then” Berg said, “What do you think of Kiki getting back together with Ben Hirsch?”

Zella bristled at that mention.

“I swear” Zella muttered, “If he breaks her heart, I’ll gut him.”

Berg smiled inwardly. Zella was still Zella, she just needed time to remember that.

Mitte, Berlin

“Are you going to be here for the rest of the afternoon Miss von Preussen?” The Marine Guard asked politely in English with what she now knew was a Southern drawl, “We’re holding an event later and we don’t want to land you in hot water with your father again. Arrangements can be made.”

Rea was actually smarting at how ineffective her latest attempt at activism was. She had spent days trying to gin up support for this event. Protesting the war in Korea and the tacit American support for what was essentially a war on Germany and their allies. Aside from Japik, there were only a few others who could be bothered to show up. And today Japik had a dentist appointment, so he wasn’t here. Rea had two brothers and a sister who were caught up in that mess, so she felt obligated to be here. Just the fact that she was now on a first name basis with the Marine Guards in front of the United States Embassy was something that she was finding a bit grating. Right now, all Rea wanted to do was just go home and scream into her pillow.

“Thank you, Corporal Oswald” Rea said to one of the Marines who guarded the front entrance.

“It’s the least we can do” Oswald said, “Any news about your family, the ones in Korea?”

“No” Rea replied, trying not to let him see the worry on her face.

“That is actually good news” Oswald said, “It means that nothing has happened to them.”

“Thank you” Rea replied, “That does make sense.”

Oswald just shrugged, “My wife asked if the next time you came around if she could meet you” He said, “She’s never met a real-life Princess.”

“I am not a tourist attraction Lee” Rea said.

“And I was hoping that you might make an exception this once Marie Cecilie” Oswald said. One of the things about these Marines, particularly those who came from the same geographic region was how they combined first and middle names. Rea’s was no exception.

“You don’t need to be nice to me” Rea said.

“You catch more flies with honey than vinegar” Oswald replied.

Last edited:
Why oh why have all the female characters mental issues?

Id quod vos animadverto. That's what you see.

The reality is that all the characters, male and female, have their problems because that is how people are. In the last post it was revealed that one of the female characters made a blunder that is shockingly common. That is just how it is. Another is frustrated that things are not going how she imagined they would. Something that everyone has happen to them.

What I find fascinating is that I have on occasion depicted male characters performing incredibly self-destructive acts and no one says a word.

The reality is that all the characters, male and female, have their problems. What I find fascinating is that I have on occasion depicted male characters performing incredibly self-destructive acts and no one says a word.

I would argue that most Zella's problems are stemming from the fact that she has no ambition. She's not a child anymore, it's time for her to look inward and start asking "Who am I, and do I want in life?"

What I find fascinating is that I have on occasion depicted male characters performing incredibly self-destructive acts and no one says a word.
Earlier today, I read over on tvtropes (I think the item was "Real men don't cry") that the only response to grief for a man in a (OTL, 21st century) western society is anger. Kind of funny (if it weren't so sad), that we haven't moved on there from '60 onwards. As a man you are not questioned if you behave self-destructive. On occasion it is even expected of you, in the name of "honor", duty or something else. Some of those I would think to be...neccessary evils, since all virtues need exemplars. Others rather not. We examine if female characters are "strong" or "normal".

After 32 years of living on this planet, I can tell you that exemplars are one. Not both. If your lot in life is to be an example for others, you are in some way not them. Broken, different, other. The very same thing which propels you to heights of achievement or skill breaks you. You can plaster over it, show others a mask. But the characters in this TL do not get this favor. I would not want my colleagues to see the self-doubt behind the "We will succeed this way!", but Kat, Kikki and the others don't get that privilege because we can see into their souls.

First he knows that the unit he is in does not have the best equipment or training, those are reserved for the units around Beijing.
He also knows that by now the Koreans and Germans are in heavily prepared defensive positions backed by pre sighted artillery and on call air support.
His commanders have been selected for their loyalty to Chiang Kai-shek and not for their competence, and the only thing in their playbook is to order full frontal assaults on the Korean and German lines.
He first has to survive a massive coordinated artillery attack, then get past all the land mines that are funneling him and his fellow soldiers in to kill zones that are raking them with mortars and machine guns, if he survives that he is now facing very well trained entrenched troops with the best weapons in the world.
All around him he is seeing his fellow soldiers dying or getting wounded which is really dying but much more slowly, his best hope is to surrender to the Germans because the Koreans are not in the mood to take prisoners.
If he does get back unscathed he has to worry about being made an example and shot for cowardice or worse yet put in a new unit and go through this again tomorrow.

Wonderful description of the world of the PBI.

Major female characters with no (apparent) mental health issues:
Maria
Dr Berg
Helene
Gerta
Nancy
Gloria
Aunt Marcella
Sigi
Irma
Others, like Gia, have faced their demons and moved on.
Many of these characters are incredibly successful and powerful figures. They have varied story arcs, including troubles at times. The same can be said for many of the male characters. Sometimes P-M lets us have an insight into the mindset of the characters, other times we are left to imagine it.

As I see as a reader is that the central figures of this story are female at this time and so I commented on them. Every female lead character has some mental issues and I dont understand why. You can make interesting characters who are healthy and normal. The story and writing is excellent, you don't have to exegerate.

As I see as a reader is that the central figures of this story are female at this time and so I commented on them. Every female lead character has some mental issues and I dont understand why. You can make interesting characters who are healthy and normal. The story and writing is excellent, you don't have to exegerate.

Everyone has issues. Or more accurately, they THINK they have issues. This is because we gauge our experiences by comparing them with our previous experiences, which means that the scale is always calibrated by the individual life. And the main figures in this story do not exactly live ordinary lives...

FBKampfer

Banned

I think part of that is that you usually show, or at least allude, to what's driving them. So it's not so much "oh what's Johnny gone and done now?" (sending a message to the CIA pricks probably precipitated the dissolution of his relationship, but given what we've seen about Johnny, how he thinks, and how he behaves, it's perfectly predictable).

Zella, while being depicted as an asshole, and sometimes insecure, has also never been shown to be anything but clever and actually quite street smart. We've also not really been given a window into how she's been handling everyone else moving on, or her own lack of ambition (quite the opposite, actually. Viz a viz the recent BMW bike design, she's been shown to be motivated, driven, and determined).

Lastly almost EVERY female character seems to have a "oh men *eye roll*. Sex is your fault" attitude. This may be a bias from everyone having the misfortune of have Kat involved in their life, but is none the less noticeable.

Despite being quite logical, and well developed in their motivation and character, is that your women seem to have shockingly little self awareness. We've seen male characters from Emile and Jacob, to Hans and Johnny ruminating on the consequences of their own behavior and personalities, how it has impacted and shaped their lives, but to the best of my memory we've not seen this from Women.

The closest would actually be Marie, in that she realizes her behavior and personality impacts her relationship with her sister, but she doesn't quite seem to make the leap to understanding that her behavior has shaped other's opinions of her, and informs how they treat her. Which at the time frustrated me to no end.