Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

I heard that if one was being practical, they would build dormitories completely out of concrete and have a drain in the middle of the floor of each room. At the end of every term just come through with pressure washers and call it good.

Especially if you can simply fill the rooms with water and cleaning agents, rotate the room at high rpm to get rid off all the encrusted stuff and then drain the whole crud.:evilsmile:

Especially if you can simply fill the rooms with water and cleaning agents, rotate the room at high rpm to get rid off all the encrusted stuff and then drain the whole crud.:evilsmile:
With or without the students inside? Probably need extra detergent/disinfectant if you leave them in.

Part 86, Chapter 1224
Chapter One Thousand Three Hundred Twenty-Four

4th May 1959

New York City, New York

The offices of Haywood, Beckett and Gleason had not changed one bit in the years since Nancy had been here last. It still remained exactly the sort of place that she went out of her way to avoid. Mostly she had been remained in contact with Gerald Beckett and Clive Heywood through the wonders of modern communications.

The personal office of Heywood, where Nancy was waiting was a mixture self-congratulatory posturing and shameless self-promotion. On the wall were dozens of framed photographs with celebrities from both sides of the Atlantic with Heywood. Actors, politicians, athletes and authors. Front and center, there was a picture of Heywood and a woman who was presumably Mrs. Heywood with the Queen of England. Not posed, just them introducing themselves. Becket had once told Nancy that Heywood was a bit of a royalist, that was certainly in keeping with that. It was also the reason why Nancy was present here today. Neither Beckett nor Heywood would be inclined to treat her as an equal, however Heywood’s hope was that eventually she would help him get another photograph for his wall. Namely Louis Ferdinand. The truth was that it wasn’t actually up to Nancy. While she worked as the appointed Press Agent for the German Imperial Court, she didn’t play a role in who the Emperor met with on a day to day basis. Heywood didn’t need to know that though.

“Sorry to keep you waiting Ms. Jensen. Or is it Mrs. Schultz these days?” Heywood said as he entered the office, Beckett was a pace behind him. “Busy days you know.”

“It’s still Jensen” Nancy replied, “One of the things I like about where I live is that the traditions are a bit different. Professionally, I get to be my own person.”

Nancy was inwardly delighted when she saw Heywood and Beckett’s reaction to her saying that. A few months after she had Sabastian, they had discovered that they would be dealing with her again and had been completely surprised. In their minds, a career was something that a woman was expected to give up once she got married and had children. She had made other plans. If Nancy and Tilo ever got around to deciding whether or not to have another, then the same thing was going to happen. It would be something these two relics of the dark ages would have to deal with.

“I guess that is one way to put it” Beckett replied uncomfortably. He imagined that he looked like Gregory Peck, perhaps in dim light, Nancy thought to herself. Heywood looked like a potato with twigs stuck in it that was somehow stuffed into a charcoal grey suit. She had never met Saul Gleason but assumed that he was cut of the same cloth as his two business partners.

“Whatever works for you Ms. Jensen” Heywood said, “Your family is well?”

“Yes” Nancy said, pulling a photograph out of her purse and handed it to Heywood. She had been prepared for this moment and relished the chance to put one past Heywood. The photograph was of Sabastian as he went on one of his destructive jaunts, his babysitter struggling to keep up and limit the destruction.

“A chip off the old block I see” Heywood said, “The poor girl looks in over her head.”

“I think it’s good for her” Nancy replied, “Kiki tends to have a bit too high of an opinion of herself at times.”

“I see” Heywood said as he handed the photograph back, not recognizing that the girl in the photograph was Prinzessin Kristina von Preussen. Who happened to be her babysitter whenever Nancy was in Berlin.

Berlin

It was getting late and it had turned out to be a quiet night at the V8 Club. No band was scheduled to play so Sarah was playing on the piano, riffing on Classical pieces of music that would have had their Composers reeling in despair. The ones who wouldn’t have been intrigued with what Sarah was doing that is.

Zella was taking the opportunity to sort through her notes of the two shows that she saw over the weekend. She knew that she would have to get moving soon but was reluctant to leave just yet. Her mother had actually been happy with how she had been applying herself at the newspaper lately. Not enough to relent on how strict she had been for the previous couple years, but happy, nonetheless.

That was when a shadow fell across her. Looking up she saw that it was James, the son of the Military Attaché in the United States Embassy here in Berlin. James was overweight, which was terrible combination with his hair cut in the style favored by the US military. His eyes tended to linger where they shouldn’t and not to put to fine a point on it, he made Zella’s skin crawl. He had heard about her working for the BT and had asked for her to look at his writing a few weeks earlier. Zella had been more repulsed by what he had written than she had been by him physically. This was a window into the disturbed mind of a young man who was very selfish and immature. She had returned the notebook without comment the next time she saw him. The problem was that he wanted to know her opinion about his writing and she didn’t dare tell him the truth and had been avoiding him.

“Hey Zella” James said. She couldn’t help but notice that he was trying to look down the front of her blouse. “You never did get back to me about the notebook I lent you.”

“It was different” Zella said, hoping that he would read too much into that neutral comment as she started to gather her notes. “I didn’t see anything that could be published without a great deal of additional work.”

“Oh” James said, he wasn’t happy with that answer as he watched Zella shoving her notes into her satchel bag.

“What is your deal?” James demanded, “Is it because I’m just one of the stupid Amis to you?”

No, Zella thought to herself, it wouldn’t matter where he came from so long as James was James.

As she started to leave, he grabbed her arm. Zella was trying to figure out what to do when John Elis made his presence known.

“The Lady is clearly not interested in you” Elis said, “Take a hint and let her go.”

It wasn’t what he said, but how he said it. Elis never raised his voice, but between the words there was the threat of complete destruction if James didn’t comply. It was a side of Elis that Zella had never seen before. She also noticed that all the other patrons had stopped what they were doing and were watching James with almost predatory intent. She knew that the V8 Club attracted a rough crowd most nights, but this was the first time she had seen them all focused like this. James was about to get himself killed here and was oblivious to it.

Shaking off James’ hand Zella made for the exit, her hope was to make it to her motorcycle before anyone said or did anything else.

This is the kind of thing that might lead to John's past being revealed . . .
And outside of the diplomatic and media shitstorm it won't end up in anything.

Cardinal Rule of Intelligence :You do NOT SELL OFF your loyal spies/agents, not unless they start to actually cause problems in your country, regardless if the spy is a Saint or an utter deviant. That's why the Germans didn't order an assassination against Albert Speer after he sold the information to the Americans about the location and specs of the German Nuclear Complex that he had a hand in building in Bavaria.

Even if Dillinger its uncovered, it would only put in further ridiculous the American Government, as they didn't detected him for more than 25 years, being in a rather visible place and position, dozens if not HUNDREDS of articles and photos of him as the owner of the most historical Music Club in Berlín during decades... Yet NO ONE in the Intelligence or Police agencies of the US saw any similarity between "Mr Ellis" and John Dillinger....

If anything, the WHOLE of the Berlin underground scene would chuckle and raise their beer mugs to Dillinger, proof that the Smart Americans end up in Berlín, and the rest.. Lives in America....

John Dillinger is a convicted felon who has escaped from a Federal Penitentiary.
He entered Germany illegally under a false name and documents, that makes him an “Undesirable Alien” and Germany will deport him as soon of all the legal proceedings and appeals are finished in about 10 or 15 years from now, in the meantime he is allowed to remain free as long as he reports to the local police station everyday.

John Dillinger is a convicted felon who has escaped from a Federal Penitentiary.
He entered Germany illegally under a false name and documents, that makes him an “Undesirable Alien” and Germany will deport him as soon of all the legal proceedings and appeals are finished in about 10 or 15 years from now, in the meantime he is allowed to remain free as long as he reports to the local police station everyday.
Will NOT HAPPEN.

Even if its an scandal, the Germans could only politely reply with exposure of the desertion to the US of Albert Speer.

Otherwise, from the point that John Dillinger started to work with the Abwehr, he formally became one of "them".. And by the rules that reign the world of Intelligence, you NEVER betray your agents, lest NOBODY would trust you to spy for Germany....

And finally..... You seem to forget the... Peculiar relationship of Dillinger with Sarah Von Schmidt and her partner......

And his fathering of their child.....

So that adds a further degree of NOPE, specifically, the Grand Admiral himself if anyone in the Government had the bright idea to propose that Dillinger was extradited......

So.. Drop it.

Holy, listen you have some good points, but maybe dial the confrontational tone back a bit man?

As for Dillinger/Elis, even if, and Big If, the US decided to try and pursue the issue, if you want me to beleive for a second there is not a complete and authentic paper trail that exists to prove Elis isn't Dillinger at this point, down to fake birth certs et all, then I'm friggin Marilyn Monroe.

Holy, listen you have some good points, but maybe dial the confrontational tone back a bit man?

As for Dillinger/Elis, even if, and Big If, the US decided to try and pursue the issue, if you want me to beleive for a second there is not a complete and authentic paper trail that exists to prove Elis isn't Dillinger at this point, down to fake birth certs et all, then I'm friggin Marilyn Monroe.
Sorry if it sounds like it, but it rather exasperates me when someone doesn't grasp the open and obvious facts, and that have been mentioned in repeated points in the past in a thread, specially for an habitual reader at that.

I may excuse the ignorance for a newcomer to the history, but for him to throw that comment in hindsight of the long established facts, same facts that he has read before, and in repeated cases, it is nothing short of trolling, and pointless one at that...

The big problem is that once the United States has confirmed that Ellis is Dillinger, events will take a life of their own and it will just snowball from there.
The big unseen factor is if the press gets a whiff of the story and how it is played out to the public.

Sorry if it sounds like it, but it rather exasperates me when someone doesn't grasp the open and obvious facts, and that have been mentioned in repeated points in the past in a thread, specially for an habitual reader at that.

I may excuse the ignorance for a newcomer to the history, but for him to throw that comment in hindsight of the long established facts, same facts that he has read before, and in repeated cases, it is nothing short of trolling, and pointless one at that...

If you think it is trolling, then report it to the mods and move on. Getting into a fight over the issue is the worst choice you can make.

I don't think ejpsan is trolling, I think he has a valid point that this could be a serious issue. However, like you, I do not think this issue will come up for a myriad of reasons ranging from "in character" to "PM has probably been hoping we'd quietly drop the topic".

For starters, John Elis isn't the father of Sarah's son. This is the relevant bit about that and eventually, Sarah is going to have a great deal of explaining to do.

As the ships resumed their dance the thoughts that had been nagging Jacob’s mind kept coming to the fore. Sarah. Esther had been hinting for months that his daughter wanted to start a family. In what Jacob realized now was a bit of a personal blind spot of the sort that Esther had complained about for years, he had assumed that Sarah would probably find that difficult because of her lifestyle. He had clearly underestimated his oldest daughter.

While Sarah was a musical prodigy, she didn’t quite have the raw intelligence that Nessa did. Sarah was also a lot more emotionally connected then either Jacob or Nessa, she was truly Esther’s daughter in that regard. He had been able to convince Esther to tell him about what was happening only to digest what was going on for several weeks until he had finally was ready to talk to Sarah. While he was aware of several medical techniques that Sarah might have used, when he had surreptitiously asked around at the Berlin Philharmonic he had learned that she had employed a method far simpler and more cost effective.

A young man, a Piano player and Flautist had been unusually close to Sarah in recent months. He had been sent to a fellowship in England, a once in a lifetime opportunity for him. Arranged by Sarah no doubt once she had gotten what she wanted from him. It was ruthless and a bit unethical but in Sarah’s position it was what was required. No one could argue that she had been unfair to him, men had been taking advantage of women in far worse ways for millennia and frequently offering nothing in return. It was Jacob’s understanding that no one was forced to do anything.

As for the rest it's always amazing what is or isn't picked up on. The poet laureate of obnoxious misogynistic teenage boys makes a cameo and no one says anything.

For starters, John Elis isn't the father of Sarah's son. This is the relevant bit about that and eventually, Sarah is going to have a great deal of explaining to do.

As for the rest it's always amazing what is or isn't picked up on. The poet laureate of obnoxious misogynistic teenage boys makes a cameo and no one says anything.

Who? In my defence has been a very very long time since I was a teenager.

So, John Dillinger killed policemen in America 25 years ago but el Señor Jorge Arbusto, how many American soldiers he contributed to kill in Mexico (not only there)?

James -- son of rear admiral Morrison?
First he would have been too young, perhaps not even alive yet. Second he only started with music in Uni. Meeting his future bandmates when he wanted to film them for something initially, and then joined them as singer/writer. Third, he never really left the US before touring with The Doors as far as I know.

Born 43 so plausible to be in 59 in Berlin altought she said he was big or fat and he look more tall and thin/normal than looking fat...