Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

Part 77, Chapter 1146
Chapter One Thousand One Hundred Forty-Six

11th September 1955

Potsdam

Kira had requested Kat’s presence immediately at the Summer Residence. There were serious security matters to discuss and other more personal matters that the Empress felt that they should touch on. It was a reminder of something that Kat had made sure of when the streets of Tempelhof had been laid out. Kaiserin-Kira-straße went right through the campus of Humboldt University and would be one of the main streets through the development, which happened to be as far as it could be from Kat’s house and still be inside project’s boundaries. Kira was happy with that and Kat didn’t have to drive on it any time she took her car anywhere.

It had turned out that she was stuck with Sigi for the next six months and that the girl was supposed to learn from her. When Kat had called the Commandant of the Berlin War Academy he had apologized that he had not warned Kat beforehand. Sigi’s family sat on the Corporate Board of Rheinmetall so accommodating her was in the interest of the OKW and the entire military by extension. It was also a major feather in Kat’s cap. Kat had told him that she was due to retire in less than two years, was also going to be required take Maternity Leave in December. So, what did she care about the Heer’s internal politics? Kat had unthinkingly made that call in front of Sigi who looked completely shell-shocked. The first shock that afternoon was that she had assumed that Oberst von Mischner was a man and she had managed to offend Gräfin Katherine von Mischner. The second was hearing the language that Kat had used to describe her. Seriously, Sigi had never heard the term fuckwit until Kat had used it to describe her. The third was that yes, her new CO was pregnant, so she could deal with it or get lost.

By then the Sisterhood was showing up for Sunday dinner and the appetizer was clearly Sieglinde Grimmelshausen. The Star Chamber had absolutely nothing on the Sisterhood when they found that they had an interloper among them who had not earned her place at the table. By the end of the evening Kat knew everything about Sigi as the girls had gotten her to divulge a lot of embarrassing personal details. They had also reduced her to a blubbering wreck, so Kat had to find a place in the house for Sigi to sleep that night as well as being a sympathetic shoulder for Sigi to cry on. Despite her efforts to appear grown up, Sigi still had a lot of maturing ahead of her and the world wasn’t always a nice place.

Now, a week later Sigi had found her place, sort of. Sleeping on the couch in the parlor didn’t agree with her and she was having to adjust to having the girls around constantly. It was Kat’s hope that today Sigi would start to learn and stop jumping at her own shadow.

“You are only to speak if spoken to” Kat said to Sigi as they entered the Western Wing of the Sanssouci Palace where Kira had her Court during the summer months and as long into the autumn as she could get away with. “You are not to stare and try to keep focused on the topic at hand. The Empress is going to want to talk about personal matters, answer her questions succinctly. Understand?”

“Yes, Ma’am” Sigi said in a small voice.

As they entered the Court, Lea was just wrapping up the briefing that she was giving the Empress. The wave of rioting and arson that had swept the South-Eastern United States over the last few days was the topic. Kat wondered about the sort of madness that would cause people to burn public buildings, schools and churches within their own community. It was difficult to make sense of it.

“Katherine” Kira said in greeting, “If I didn’t know any better, I might say that you have been avoiding me.”

Possibly because she had.

“I’ve been busy getting my family ready to move” Kat replied, “The new house is supposed to be finished before the end of the month.”

“I understand that you’ve other news as well” Kira said, “I need some happy news after what has been going on with Masha.”

That was the other reason that Kat had avoided the Empress, a week earlier her sister Maria, who Kira called the nickname Masha, had suffered a major cardiac event at her husband’s estate in Alsace. Kat knew that a heart attack like the one that Masha had suffered, while not immediately fatal, resulted in a grim prognosis. It was a glimpse of what might happen if Kat failed in her efforts to get the Empress to take care of herself. That was when Kat noticed that she had unconsciously betrayed herself by moving her right hand protectively over her belly where she knew potential life was growing.

“It is a bit too soon to make an official announcement” Kat replied as she withdrew her hand.

Then Kira leaned forward, “You can tell me Katherine” She said conspiratorially. How many times had Marcella told Kat that she was Kira’s window into the wider world? At the same time her relationship with the Empress had grown strained because of the manipulations that Kat felt were frequently not necessary.

“I’m due in late March or early April” Kat said.

“That’s wonderful” Kira replied.

“I’m hoping for a girl but with my luck it will be a boy” Kat said, “I love Malcolm, but having him pulling Tatiana’s hair, hiding her dolls and being troublesome makes me glad there’s only one of him. Two boys would be too much.”

“That changes when they're older, girls get more complicated” Kira said, “Just the other day Kristina…”

“Excuse me?” Sigi asked.

“Who is this?” Kira asked Kat, pointedly ignoring Sigi who had gone pale with fear when she realized her mistake.

“Fraulein Grimmelshausen” Kat replied, “She was recently appointed to be my aide, and she’s still learning.”

Last edited:
Kirastraße
Kaiserin-Kira-Straße and a Kaiser-Louis-Ferdinand-Straße would be necessary as well.

If there are enough trees on both sides they'll go by -Allee, or if it's the main pedestrian and or scenic way it'll be a -Promenade. Both are far more posh, than the ordinary -Straße.

I would go with an aviation theme, when naming most streets and ways(Weg).

Edit:
It is either Kaiserin-Kira-Straße or Kirastraße, but not Kira-Straße, but only old streets use the Namestraße (Namestreet, one name <first or family> without dash) form, when street naming became more formal and a single name could no longer indicate a single person the Vorname-Nachname-Straße or in this case Titel-Name-Straße was used.

Using the title is the more formal form.

One word - written together 'Wilhelmstraße'
more than one word - written with dashes 'Kaiser-Wilhelm-Straße'
(exemption: place descriptions can be written with spaces like 'Unter den Linden')

Last edited:
I like the new aide--she's going to get broken in, or just broken, one or the other.
I wonder how bad the rioting is...is it time for Federal troops to march? Uncase the banners that flew at Atlanta, Charleston, and especially at Fort Sumter!

I like the new aide--she's going to get broken in, or just broken, one or the other.
I wonder how bad the rioting is...is it time for Federal troops to march? Uncase the banners that flew at Atlanta, Charleston, and especially at Fort Sumter!
More than Broken, she's getting cut to ground. Basically Kat its employing a more subtler version of Basic Training.....Break the girl down to ground, then learn what makes her tick, her life, motivations and such, THEN, if what Kat learned satisfies her enough, she will proceed to train her to do her aide work, but in Kat's own peculiar way.

While a part of Sigi will rue the training, i can imagine that she will be thankful every damn day of her life for the Baroness's training....because after that, stuff that would have broken her, or made her quit, would merely make her blink, then reply "Been there, done that, and Oberst Von Mischner half asleep in Pajamas its far scarier than you....."

Sigi will be like any other recruit in the Army, first arrogant, thinking they're already good enough, then broken down by very carefully measured and strictly controlled bullying before being built up to be solid, dependable, confident and unbreakable.

Sigi is still at stage one and is in for a hell of a bump when she finally breaks.

I don't understand how anyone in Germany ITTL would not know of Katherine von Mischner's existence. Surely she's reported a lot in the media?

Certainly. In uniform or in a ballroom dress most people would likely recognize her. But in a sweater with dishelved hair? I doubt it. And the young Woman seems to be rather...far away from any reality to make the connection by name alone.

Sigi seems rather unworldly and it will be interesting to learn what motivated her to peruse a career in the armed forces without being fully aware of the woman who many of her female classmates would consider a role model. It would also be interesting to learn what motivated her superiors to send her to Kat? Did they just want to get her out from underfoot or did they see something in her that might be worthy of nurtured for something greater?

She may be a future viewpoint character for the second half of the 20th century if she survives the experience.

Speaking of the future, Albert is still in the process of finding out whether he has The Right Stuff to be a Weltraumfahrer. It seems that as a naval aviator he is currently in the program for the sake of diversity while one of his colleagues from the Air-force seems most likely to be chosen to become the first man in space for political reason, but it would not be unexpected for him to become a last minute replacement for the job.

In OTL the first woman in space followed the first manned space-flight after only two years. The primary qualifications for Valentina Tereshkova seem to have been a young age, compact size, political reliability and experience with skydiving. While the characters in the story so far all seem to old and of ill health or uninterested in aviation to fill the position themselves, somewhere out there, there has to be a young female air force officer who has been inspired by our protagonists and doesn't know yet how far her ambitions will take her.

It also seems like that for political reasons the Imperial Raumfahrerkorps will be made up out of a broad selection of candidates representing all the people of the empire for PR reasons (Poland can into space!) and eventually may be joined by those from other allied nations like the Intercosmos program in OTL. A weird mixed message to the rest of the world about the brand of egalitarianism in this Germany where many prominent figures of the program have a "von" in their name while at the same time including all sorts of people...

I don't understand how anyone in Germany ITTL would not know of Katherine von Mischner's existence. Surely she's reported a lot in the media?
Given her basic background, she seems to have been someone with a VERY sheltered yet high class childhood. She seems to have a pride of her family name and their role. Infortunately, that same sheltering, tends to make her pride appear as an overinflated ego, something that Kat will teach her to moderate.

Something tells me that the Sisterhood will find her "schweet"......and promptly dedicate themselves to corrupt her. Add that Sigi will likely be introduced to Helene Von Mischner-Richthofen and Gertra Von Knispel-Wovolge. I suspect that they will nickname Sigi in an embarrasing yet cute way, then further add to the "Miseducation" of Sigi......

I am trying to keep my uninformed speculations to myself...but I think that Sigi's family had it up to here with her and her seemingly deliberately determined ignorance and naivety and maybe she had an older sister or cousin who served in the Auxiliaries during the wars and her family sees that as way to "knock the shine" off of her in controlled setting.
My main fear is while we are laughing right now this has the potential to go in some dark directions in future.

I am trying to keep my uninformed speculations to myself...but I think that Sigi's family had it up to here with her and her seemingly deliberately determined ignorance and naivety and maybe she had an older sister or cousin who served in the Auxiliaries during the wars and her family sees that as way to "knock the shine" off of her in controlled setting.
My main fear is while we are laughing right now this has the potential to go in some dark directions in future.

It would be nice to have another non-broken female character added to the mix, but it seems not really likely at this point.

Since we haven't seen things yet from her point of view and that complete history that the sisterhood supposedly drew from her also happened off-screen. That might imply that there is a secret there.

The initial introduction included a lot of 'fake'; fake smile, fake hair colour etc, so that might mean that she is just playing a part. On the other hand she supposedly has already been there for a week and not been tripped up so maybe what you see is what you get: a shallow naive character not much good for anything beyond comic relief.

My hope is that she has some sort of non obvious hidden depths that aren't all that traumatic. Maybe a mind like a certain Admiral that comes at the cost of a very narrow focus and an extreme lack of social awareness or some similar genius-ditz type of arrangement.

Part 77, Chapter 1147
Chapter One Thousand One Hundred Forty-Seven

22nd September 1955

Cumulusweg 5, Tempelhof, Berlin

Uncle Klaus had said that he had arranged a surprise that she would see the instant she walked up to the front of the house. Doug had parked the bus on the street so that he could see their reaction as they entered the house as a family for the first time. He had also brought his camera equipment. Meaning that it was all going to be captured for posterity. It was a good day for this, a clear autumn afternoon with sun giving the entire street a golden glow.

As Kat walked up to the stoop, she saw the newly finished bronze doorknocker that was mounted on reinforced oak front doors. Kat knew that hidden from the street on the side of the stoop was the service entrance that gave direct access to the garden floor and the kitchen. It was the doorknocker itself that was the surprise. As she got close, Kat could see that it was done in the same design as the banner that hung in the Luftwaffe exhibition hall rendered in bronze.

When Kat had walked through the house a few days earlier she had noticed that there was a very subtle theme in various corners of the house that the door knocker was the most overt part of. Cats in the form of things like stylized tigers engraved on the doorknobs or a single tile on the kitchen floor that had a feline stalking across the floor. There was another tile a couple of rows over that had a mouse, so it was actually sort of fun. The truth was that she didn’t know if she should be touched or furious about those additions to the decor.

“Wait a second” Doug said as Kat pulled out her keys. He had the tripod set up and he was pointing at the door as Tatiana and Malcolm were getting antsy from waiting, luckily Ilse was there to keep them from wandering off.

“Now” Doug said as he stepped around the camera and joined Kat on the stoop. As she opened the door with Doug beside her, she heard the click of the camera as the timer triggered the shutter.

“If you could give me second” Doug said as he went back to dismount the camera from the tripod. The twins didn’t listen as they rushed into the house only to find that the inner doors of the of the entryway were closed against them and Kat barring the way.

“Wait for your father” Kat said to them as Doug leaned the tripod against the wall of the entry.

With that Doug opened one of the inner doors and entered the foyer before he turned and got a photograph of the twins as they had their necks craned and they were looking up the stairwell that went from the garden floor up to the fourth floor. Like any other row house, it was fairly narrow, but had a great deal of depth. The one they were standing on now was the parlor floor which contained the parlor as well as the library and office so that both Kat and Doug could have a dedicated work space at home. Down stairs in the garden floor was the kitchen, pantry and the dining room which opened out into the back garden.

As Doug led the twins up to the bedrooms that were going to be theirs, for the first time in their lives Tatiana and Malcolm would be sleeping separately. They would also be on a different floor from their parents with their rooms facing the garden directly over the master bedroom. It wasn’t a worry because Tante Ilse’s room was just across the hallway. Contrary to what Doug might have believed that arrangement wasn’t an accident. Kat getting pregnant again had basically ruined those plans, but it was something she could live with.

As the children were excitedly exploring their bedrooms a door opened in the hallway and Sigi stepped out. There was a narrow staircase up to the attic that had been divided up into a collection of rooms for the live-in staff. Aunt Marcella had pointed out that this house was designed with being home to several generations of the same family in mind and being self-contained in terms of maintenance. The fact that every house on the block was identical, suggested that it would be professionals from the city and senior faculty from the nearby University campus and hospital who would live here. That would make for an interesting mix.

“I hope that you find the room to your liking” Kat said to Sigi.

“Better than sleeping on the couch at the old house” Sigi replied.

“Good” Kat said, “Have you heard from my brother?”

Sigi gulped, “The Oberst confirmed that he and his family are coming this evening for the housewarming party.”

“Good” Kat repeated.

In the time that Sigi had been Kat’s aide she had gone from one mortification to the next and had yet to get her feet back under her. At first Kat had been surprised that Sigi had not known who she was until she talked to Gerta and Helene about it. Helene had pointed out that it had been more than a decade since they had been the three furies taking Berlin by storm while being the poster-girls for the volunteer effort. Since then they had gotten married, started careers and families. Sigi would have been just a small child when they had been doing those things.

It had taken a bit of effort on Kat’s part, but she had gotten Sigi to open up. Not the embarrassing secrets that the girls had gotten her to divulge, but what Sigi really wanted, why she was doing this. A year earlier, Sigi had watched a movie about helicopter assault on Pingfang. Kat knew it well, she had several friends in the SKA who had been in on that operation. Sigi had seen how the rapid assault had saved the lives of the thousands of people who were prisoners there. Actions that had meant something, Sigi had decided that her life was empty and lacked direction, so she had signed for the War Academy with the intent of becoming a helicopter pilot. It was an ambition that Sigi still harbored though like most young women in the Academy she had found herself being pushed towards Administration and Logistics. Sigi had voiced her frustrations to the Chaplain, who once upon a time had been one of the Soldaten of the 28th Fallschirmjäger Regiment.

It had been the Chaplain who had convinced the Academy’s Comandante that Sigi should be appointed to be Kat’s aide.

Last edited:
As much as I enjoy watching Charlie Chaplin movies, I think in this case it should read chaplain or Kaplan in German.

I am fully aware that sometimes typos just seem to multiply, but in this case, it is more a case of déformation professionelle.

Part 77, Chapter 1148
Chapter One Thousand One Hundred Forty-Eight

28th September 1955

Rural Brandenburg near Zossen

The 140th Regiment along with the rest of 8th Panzer Dragoon Brigade was fighting as straight infantry with armor and artillery acting strictly in a in support role, with a separate chain of command. Even with radios coordination was proving difficult because for the last several years Hans had trained to have the different elements of the Division acting in concert. Fighting with one arm tied behind their backs had made for a long month as the autumn exercises had concluded. Spending an evening at Kat’s new house had been a pleasant diversion. For years Hans had heard Kat joke about days when she feels like jamming a pencil in her eye. The last few days had been like that for Hans. He knew that he was in trouble when his sister’s skewed perspective started to make sense. The worst part was that Hans recognized the tactics in question.

He was walking down the side of the road as a column of Flakpanther Kugelblitz Panzers from the 91st Air Defense Battalion went past returning to base. The Panthers had been modified to have a turret that carried a pair of radar guided 30mm autocannons in an oscillating turret. They had yet to be used in combat, but it was figured that they would make life extremely difficult for any low flying aircraft that came too close to their columns.

That was when an Iltis pulled up and stopped. Hans Recognized the familiar face in the passenger seat, Walter von Horst.

“I swear that someday you’ll be a Generaloberst and still be walking everywhere, the Soldaten will just love that” Horst said, Hans wasn’t sure if Horst was being sarcastic or not. “Get in.”

With that Hans climbed into the back seat of the Iltis and the driver put the utility vehicle into gear and resumed driving towards Wunsdorf.

“Mind telling me why the 4th Division is aping American tactics?” Hans asked, “The only conclusion I can reach is that we are terrible at fighting that way. It works for the Amis because they always insist on having loads of everything. In Mexico I saw them throw rifles away as opposed to cleaning them, for example.”

“So that the powers that be can get a better handle on them” Horst replied, “As for their waste, it’s hardly a surprise, they invented the concept of planned obsolescence.”

“You are one of the powers that be” Hans replied, he hardly wanted to get into a debate with Horst about the habits of the Americans. The time he had spent in Texas had confirmed everything that his sister had to say about that country. She had liked the Pacific North-West, that was it.

Horst just gave Hans a look that basically said, Yeah, so what.

“Our best prognosticators think that the odds of things going bad in the United States are becoming greater every day” Horst said, “These are merely educated guesses, but I’ve learned its stupid to ignore them. One thing that we should never forget is that the things we do here affect policy as well as strategy.”

That was a sour thought for Hans. Fighting the Americans in America and there was only one organization that could get the Heer embroiled in a mess like that. It wouldn’t be the first time either.

“The League of Nations needs to find someone else to be their policemen” Hans said, “Now that the British are out of India, they will be available to stick their tongue into that light socket.”

“I won’t disagree with you there” Horst replied with a laugh.

Hans sat there in silence for a few minutes. Kat said that she was retiring from the military, that she’d had enough. Hans was starting to see her reasoning, he wasn’t an old man by any means but had already fought in four wars, five if you considered the Far East a separate war. He knew that if he was deployed overseas again for a year or more the chances were extremely high that Helene would not be there when he came back, she had her own career and life outside their marriage. If pushed, she might decide that she preferred him to remain gone. That was why Hans was starting to think Kat had the right idea, that it was time to find something else to do. Perhaps if he at least started looking into that possibility it would get Helene to back down a bit.

“Have you talked to your brother at all?” Horst asked.

“Regarding?” Hans asked in reply.

“His intentions regarding my daughter” Horst asked, “I only asked because Nina is getting impatient, she’s had the entire wedding planned out since Stefan got back from Mexico. It’s been couple years.”

Hans knew that Nina was a formidable woman and while it was clear that Stefan wasn’t taking advantage of Nizhoni there were limits. Stefan and Nina weren’t even engaged, though they had been an item for several years. Hans figured that Stefan must be one of the most patient men alive, or that was how the insanity that seemed to infect the entire Mischner family had manifested itself in him.

“Stefan said that they are holding off making decisions until Nizhoni finishes school” Hans replied.

Horst suddenly looked extremely annoyed.

“Your brother is not the problem” Horst growled, “Waffling over personal matters is a bit of a family trait, just leave it that.”

“Who else in your family acts that way?” Hans asked.

“I told you to leave it at that” Horst replied.

Last edited: