Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

As the Germans already tested their Submarines with Nuclear Power plants by example, it's highly likely that right now the next modern Carrier being built to replace the oldest early WWII Carrier its being built with a Nuclear Power plant,
I can see that if this is true then the first Carrier is going to be named the SMS Louis Ferdinand, the second one being named the SMS Augustus Lang and the third one is going to have wait to be named until a certain someone goes on the Retire List.
A scene I would to see is having Graf von Richthofen sitting in the back seat of the jet his son is flying and making Touch and Go landings on the deck of his namesake Carrier in the North Sea.

I can see that if this is true then the first Carrier is going to be named the SMS Louis Ferdinand, the second one being named the SMS Augustus Lang and the third one is going to have wait to be named until a certain someone goes on the Retire List.
A scene I would to see is having Graf von Richthofen sitting in the back seat of the jet his son is flying and making Touch and Go landings on the deck of his namesake Carrier in the North Sea.

Better yet, have them want to make him an honorary Naval Aviator. That means a cat shot and a trap landing, especially if his son can be the one to do it.

I think that would make Graf Von Richthofen's day, to know that his son is on the cutting edge of aviation as he was.

Part 74, Chapter 1099
Chapter One Thousand Ninety-Nine

17th September 1954

Jüterbog Airfield

Not finding the latest domestic drama amusing was keeping Douglas alive, though Kat had certainly wanted to shoot him after they had discussed what was happening with Ilse. “How could a woman feel guilty about not getting raped?” Doug had asked in disbelief. Kat hadn’t answered that it was because it was happening around her. Doctor Holz had helped Kat put it in perspective by telling her about what he had learned from his time delving into the massive number of cases of abnormal psychology that filled the prisons. Pedophiles typically have a process where they groom their victims. Ilse had been such a poorly socialized, vicious little thing that she had been avoided for obvious reasons. Kat felt that Ilse had nothing to be ashamed of, but Ilse didn’t see it that way and felt that she was a horrible person because of who she had been. Kat hadn’t the faintest idea of how everything that had happened to Ilse had manifested in agoraphobia, but that was how it had played out.

Fortunately, escaping to work was always an option for Kat, even if that presented its own hazards. The drive to Jüterbog was a rare treat for the Emperor. He got to visit with the student aviators and just enjoy himself for a few hours. In a hangar at the end of the flight-line was an old Focke-Wulf FW44 Goldfinch that was the personal property of Louis Ferdinand. When the Luftwaffe had switched to a different training aircraft a few years earlier hundreds of the biplanes had gone onto the civilian market as surplus. Louis had quietly purchased one for himself and had it painted white with blue highlights.

As Kat watched, Louis was happily talking with his mechanic as they drained the motor oil from the bottom piston of the radial engine. It was another one of the details that the Emperor kept quiet. He was content to let others promote civil aviation, but Kat knew that he was backing many of their efforts. However, that created the next problem. Louis liked to go flying but he couldn’t go alone. There was a quick reaction team with a helicopter on standby but someone, a volunteer got the dubious privilege of riding in the front cockpit. In the past it had been Matthias who had done this, but he wasn’t around anymore.

So today, that fell to Kat. She couldn’t very well ask a subordinate to do something like this. Wearing the insulated coveralls that Kat realized that she hadn’t worn in years, a leather helmet and a pair of goggles because of the open cockpits she felt perfectly ridiculous. The airplane progressed out the bumpy taxiway and held short at the threshold.

“You want to be the one to take her up this time, Katherine?” Louis said over the intercom.

“Wait, what?” Kat replied.

“You want to do the take off?” Louis asked.

“I’m no pilot” Kat replied, noticing that Louis seemed to be enjoying this.

“After the hundreds of hours that you’ve spent in airplanes and helicopters you’ve never gotten the itch to fly yourself?” Louis asked, “It’s one of those things that anyone can do, and I already told the tower that this is an introductory flight.”

That was one of the other details about Louis Ferdinand that few people knew. During the war he had not just worn a Luftwaffe uniform he had gone so far as becoming qualified as a flight instructor. Also, he did have a point. Kat had spent years aboard various aircraft and the thought to being up in the cockpit had occurred to her many times, but she had never had the time the pursue that.

“Are you sure about this, Sir?” Kat asked.

“You won’t know until you try it” Louis said, “And it’s a lot of fun.”

Kat sighed in exasperation, she didn’t like getting pressed into things in this manner.

“I’ll do it this time, but you should have asked before I got into the cockpit” Kat said.

“And ruin the fun” Louis asked, “There is a running bet about how you were going to react to this. A lot of the men thought that you would leave the plane and force me to taxi back to the hanger.”

Kat would have a few choice words for the men who had done that when this was over. Then Kat heard the tower give them permission to takeoff.

“Now push the throttle forward just until the plane starts moving” Louis said.

Potsdam

“Sasha was happy to get her house back when the Czar left” Anya said to Kiki and Zella. Aurora was trying to see if there was anything on television, with no luck. Anya wished that she would turn it off so that they could go do something else. Kiki was happy because she had finally gotten the hated cast off of her face the day before and a new pair of glasses. Kiki was pleased to be able to see even if her nose was still tinder.

“This was after the talks fell through?” Zella asked.

“Yeah” Anya said, “The Turks dropping mustard gas on Athens put an end to that. Everyone thinks that General Winter will have the last word.”

What that meant was that the local winters in the Balkans and Anatolia would be enough to make logistics difficult. Then exhaustion would probably do the rest, the war would end until it started again in a few years. For Anya what she had learned from Sasha and in school stood in direct contradiction to what she had been told about past conflicts in that region. In Russia it was depicted as the forces of Christendom against the heathen Turks, here though it was different. There were no good guys, just different groups killing those caught in the crossfire and each other. Kiki had said that it was just boys in the playground fighting over a toy. When Anya had discussed it with Sasha, she learned that Sasha agreed with Kiki about that.

“You can’t always trust what those in authority tell you Anya” was how Sasha had termed it. The entire situation had left Anya confused, entirely because while she understood the logic of what she was being told, she still in her heart wanted to believe the simpler version of events.

Last edited:
“Are you sure about this, Sir?” Kat asked.

“You won’t know until you try it” Louis said, “And it’s a lot of fun.”

Kat sighed in exasperation, she didn’t like getting pressed into things in this matter.

“I’ll do it this time, but you should have asked before I got into the cockpit” Kat said.

“And ruin the fun” Louis asked, “There is a running bet about how you were going to react to this. A lot of the men thought that you would leave the plane and force me to taxi back to the hanger.”

Kat would have a few choice words for the men who had done that when this was over. Then Kat heard the tower give them permission to takeoff.

“Now push the throttle forward just until the plane starts moving” Louis said.
...... If Kat acts in the same way that she does with a car once she grasps what is the potential of the airplane to move......

..... Houston, we have a SERIOUS Problem.

Great...The Turks are using Mustard Gas and that will just amp up the Holy War aspect of this conflict.

Great...Kat develops a new passion and it's not like she has a lot of free time on her hand already.

d-emof-private-focke-wulf-fw-44-stieglitz_PlanespottersNet_358995_0707440a8f.jpg

An FW-44

Looks like the Balkans and Greece have the potential to become TTL's middle east. Constant low level fighting that periodically breaks out into nasty wars.

One thing Louis forgot: Kats love high places. When they find a new and better high place, getting them down is a challenge. (The top of the refrigerator is no longer a place to store anything...)

As always, great stuff. I can see "The Admiralty Codex" eventually becoming a thing of rumor and speculation that everyone believes doesn't really exist: The High Seas Fleet's version of the Necronomicon.

The Balklands/Turkey/Greece will be a long term quagmire, but much more dangerous than the Middle East. The Middle East in OTL doesn't border on multiple Great Powers...

Another thought: the 15 cm/5.9" gun, if it can function in an AA role also, is a better choice than the USN's 5" OTL--bigger explosive capacity for bombardment.

Another thought: the 15 cm/5.9" gun, if it can function in an AA role also, is a better choice than the USN's 5" OTL--bigger explosive capacity for bombardment.

I doubt it, it’s a triple gun turret. The weight would be a significant problem.

"The Admiralty Codex" is going to be like the urban legend of Walt Disney leaving filmed instructions to the executives of The Walt Disney Company to be viewed after his death.

It's still identical to the turret off a Leipzig Class Light Cruiser, elevation is limited to 40 degrees. That doesn't mean that interesting things are not in store...

If these are standard guns, perhaps the next generation will resemble the guns on the Worchester or Des Moines class

Only with an autoloader. 5 inch/127mm was about the limit a human could actually load manually, the 6ish inch (150/152/155mm) stuff had much lower rates of fire.

Part 74, Chapter 1100
Chapter One Thousand One Hundred

18th September 1954

Scapa Flow, Scotland

Jacob crossed from the Atlantic Flagship, the SMS Kiel, to the HMS Lion with the crew of the British Battleship glaring at him. They saw the presence of the Kiel, a Heavy Cruiser, as rubbing salt into the wound. Though she was much smaller than the Battleship the Kiel was much more flexible in her design and most of all, cost less to operate and required a smaller crew. Tarp covered steel boxes amidships also meant that the Kiel could reduce the Lion to scrap from well over the horizon if it came down to it. The irony was that if they knew the real reason why Jacob was here, they would probably be completely bewildered. They also knew that Jacob’s counterpart the First Sea Lord, Bruce Fraser, Baron of North Cape was on board.

It wasn’t shocking that he looked less than thrilled when Jacob walked into the wardroom.

“When I was told that you wanted to meet my hopes of being allowed to retire quietly before I had to deal with another one of your swindles were dashed” Fraser said flatly.

“I am not here to swindle you” Jacob said and saw that Fraser was looking at him skeptically. “It’s for reasons of strategic balance and I’m trying to help.”

“You, help?” Fraser asked, “Like you did by giving us War Plan Red all those years ago? That caused a nice rupture with our friends across Atlantic.”

“If I recall correct that very real plan the Americans cooked up was stolen from my office” Jacob said, “I even asked for it back nicely and was told no.”

Jacob must not had have kept the smirk off his face because if looks could kill the one that Fraser gave him would have reduced him to pile of ash. When Jacob had arranged for the American war plan to be leaked to the British, his asking for it back was to confirm they had gotten it and convince them of its authenticity.

“I fail to see how you or your Kaiser benefit by helping my Navy” Fraser said.

“It’s very simple” Jacob said, “It is not in Germany’s interest to have Britain fall apart at this time. Thirty years ago, we would have been overjoyed to watch your island burn to the ground, but times have changed, and it is not just your Navy that concerns us.”

Jacob pulled a notebook out of his briefcase and handed it to Fraser. The British Admiral looked like Jacob was handing him a poisonous snake.

“What is this?” Fraser asked as he flipped through the pages.

“It is what I would do if I were in your shoes” Jacob replied, “You can do whatever you want with it.”

What he didn’t say was that he had discussed this with Field Marshal Holz and the Chancellor. They had concluded that a weakened United Kingdom in a defensive crouch was not something that they could afford. There were many things that the English did better than anyone else on the globe. They might put their pride aside and sell that expertise in ways that would be to the disadvantage of the Kaiserliche Marine.

“You are clearly playing a game of some kind von Schmidt” Fraser said, “I don’t want my legacy to be that chasing you down a rabbit hole was one of the last things I did.”

“Have it your way then” Jacob replied.

It was noticeable that Fraser had made no move to give the notebook back.

Langley, Virginia

This was a nice way for the CIA to let him know that the vacation was over. For the last three days, almost from the instant that they had stepped off the plane at National, Jonny had been grilled about everything he had said, done, seen and who he had been doing it with since he had left the country in late June.

“How did you know that that the hotel suite was bugged?” The grey faced functionary of the sort that seemed to run this place asked. There were two of them in the room and aside from their thinning hair being different colors, Jonny could hardly tell them apart.

“I assumed that it was” Jonny replied, “If I were them, it’s what I would have done.”

“So, you had no idea” The functionary said, it almost sounded like an accusation.

“Perhaps I ought to have stomped around the room yelling about how the Kaiser could suck my dick until a group of those lunatics from the German Airborne came in and kicked my ass” Jonny replied, “You know, just to be sure.”

“There is no reason for sarcasm today Mr. Casey” The second functionary said, “Besides that, we doubt that the German BII would have compromised an operation just for the satisfaction of having you beaten up.”

Jonny noticed that the first functionary was nodding in agreement with the second, as if they just discussed the matter between themselves. That was just downright spooky.

“Now, you assumed that the hotel suite was bugged and warned your partner, Mr. Parker about it” The first functionary said, “That is operational protocol in such situations.”

Jonny had also wanted Parker to not to run his mouth like he did when he was nervous. With the two of them in the spotlight because of the race and the newspaper articles it was inevitable that Parker would do that. He was not about to tell that to either of these men.

“Two days after that you went to Wolfsburg?” The second functionary asked.

Last edited:
Intriguing. The irony is that ITTL the British will probably perceive this "Special Relationship" as less favorable in relative terms than the OTL British-American one, but it'll probably be a better deal for the British overall. Essentially, I'm seeing it as Britain being given an opportunity to become the Shield of Europe in a serious way.