Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

Then that would be a good place to start.

Admitting openly to Kiki, and to himself, that Kira caused a lot of damage during her life, & not just to Kiki either, would help. Getting told by your mother that whatever dreams that you may have are pointless and that you are nothing more than a dynastic brood mare, so lie back, spread your legs & think of Germany certainly counts as damage.

I also think its long past time that Louis sat down with Kat and asked her, no holds barred, exactly WHY she had distanced herself from Kira. I'm sure that he has almost certainly put the pieces together, but hearing it said is an entirely different kettle of fish. Contacting Gia might be of use, as Kira screwed her over as well, and Gia is still paying the price for Kira's refusal to aid Asia. Getting both Kat & Gia to talk to Kiki about their own experiences with Kira's vindictiveness might help her. Hell, they might even reveal how much they admire her for decking Kira. He should also pull strings & get Ben there ASAP. I get the feeling that boyfriend cuddles might be appreciated about now.

That said, Kiki gets to decide when, if ever, she forgives her mother.

Agreed 100%. That sounds like the only sensible way to try to address things.

And yeah. To forgive or not forgive is up to Kiki: all that matters is her being able to move on from what her mother put her through, one way or the other.

Who knows, maybe it’d help to write up a draft of a ‘tell-all’ thing about just what Kira was really like. The act of putting it on paper could be a therapeutic exercise...and she could have it published later in life, when she’s an old woman and the effects won’t be so explosive.

In the short-term...help her understand that she’s nothing to worry about. All she did was yell at some other students - in any typical university that’ll be forgotten within a week.

...and Gia is still paying the price for Kira's refusal to aid Asia.

More than that - been a little while since I read Part I, but IIRC wasn’t it Kira who basically outed Gia as being the Romanov Princess and forced her into the public eye when she just wanted to let her Romanov past dand live a normal life?

Kira spread a coruscating comet of woe all about her...

Last edited:
Kira spread a coruscating comet of woe all about her...
Beauty of the story right there.

Kira was a protagonist (well protagonist supporting) character who is very important in the whole story and who did a lot of things that were the correct things to do. That doesn't mean she was a "nice" woman either. This story is full of people doing things that are, frankly, miserable, mean, and petty because the characters act like human beings, and some of us like them, some of us hate them, but we all enjoy them in the end.

Hell, go back a couple hundred pages in this thread and see some of the shit thrown at Zella. Some of it deserved (running over Ben's foot with a motorcycle) some of it not (the whole deal with her professor) and some of it having some stupid consequences (see previous professor comment) but she is a human character.

Wait a minute, Kiki's security detail lost her again? They definitely need to tighten security massively and do it yesterday. Things cannot continue like this. Since she's already been the target of assassination attempts and is still recovering from her last kidnapping this is getting completely unacceptable.

Part 105, Chapter 1710
Chapter One Thousand Seven Hundred Ten

21st February 1966

Mitte, Berlin

“Something that I don’t think that you have considered Kiki” Peter said offhandedly as he listened to her heart through his stethoscope, “If you had been born to a working-class family you would likely be attending the Medical Academy in Jena. You got there with a staggering amount of hard work and a great of personal sacrifice.”

Having spent forty years as a Physician had taught Peter that the heart and lungs tended to reveal people’s exact thoughts in ways that they might not intend to. Kiki was no exception. Her heartbeat became elevated just after he had made that observation. He could also see her ribs through her skin as he lowered the stethoscope. Nora Berg would throw a fit if she saw Kiki in this state, her clear neglect of her personal health would likely result in an opportunistic infection of some kind if she kept on like this. Peter didn’t notice anything else untoward.

According to Kiki’s stepmother Charlotte, she had slept almost the entire time since she had come from Potsdam with her father. Peter found the entire episode fascinating from a strictly clinical point of view. Kiki running to the gravesite of her mother during a moment of crisis. He was aware of another young woman who had done something similar decades earlier, one who had undoubtedly had a great deal of influence on Kiki. The two situations were extremely different, Peter knew that there were a lot of unresolved issues that had remained after the death of Kiki’s mother. Had Kat ever mentioned this to Kiki or was it something more primal?

“I wish I could believe that” Kiki said as she pulled an old football jersey over her head. “All anyone sees is Princess Kristina when they look at me.”

She said that, but her body had told Peter a different story. He had reached the conclusion that Kiki used the idea that she was underserving of advancement as an excuse for giving up on things and cheapening her accomplishments. The caricature of Princess Kristina was something that Kiki hid behind. It was something that she had done for an extremely long time. The issue was that a prognosis was always easier than finding an effective prescription in Psychology. Peter had heard from a colleague about getting Kiki’s younger sister on the couch, it certainly seemed like every member of this family was grappling with similar issues, the women anyway.

“When what you believe isn’t working for you, then it is time to find something else” Peter replied.

Kiki didn’t act like she had heard that, instead she changed the subject. “Am I as crazy as people must think I am in Jena?” She asked.

“I’m not here to determine that” Peter answered, “This is just a house call for a patient.”

“You came all the way to Berlin for that?” Kiki replied, her voice full of skepticism.

“That and to visit family” Peter replied, “My brother lives a few blocks from here and his daughter just happens to be one of your closest friends.”

Kiki was silent for a long moment, embarrassed that she was so wrapped up in herself that she missed something that obvious. She still tended to be conceited at times. Mostly because of her age, so it was good for her to see that other people had lives.

“You didn’t answer the question” Kiki said.

“You aren’t crazy” Peter replied, “This is just like you having a cold, you need a bit of rest and to eat something. We’ll speak about this some more when you get back to Jena in a couple days.”

“But after what happened on Friday?” Kiki asked, “How is that possible?”

“Don’t be so dramatic Kiki” Peter said, “You yelled at some people who didn’t concern themselves with your boundaries, most of the people I talked to thought that they had it coming.”

Judging from her reaction to hearing that, Peter suspected that Kiki was disappointed that had been the outcome.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Kat had seldom been to the City Hall of Berlin despite it being so close to the Alexander Marketplace. The facade of massive building that occupied an entire city block was entirely of clinker bricks, a feature that lent the Red Hall its name.

Entering the office of the State Prosecutor, Kat was aware of the silence that spread in her wake as she passed through the building. It reminded Kat of when she had been in school and the Headmistress had passed through, everyone knew that someone was in serious trouble for her to leave her office. Then it occurred to Kat that was exactly what this was.

It had taken a great deal of effort on Kat’s part, but she had learned exactly who it was in the City Government who was the cause of Klaus Voll’s complaint. It was with a bit of guilt that Kat discovered that to limit her influence over portions of Berlin’s Criminal Justice bureaucracy, the City had hired an ambitious outsider by the name of Franz Josef Strauss.

“Fürstin von Mischner” Strauss said in greeting as she entered, “To what do I owe the honor of your visit.”

It was obvious that he was not in the least bit intimidated by her reputation. Kat knew that it had been a long time since she had squashed someone like a bug, it showed in situations like this.

“I have been listening to complaints regarding the enforcement of certain laws regarding people’s private lives” Kat said, “Laws whose enforcement had fallen by the wayside.”

“I don’t get to pick and choose which laws get enforced, nor should I” Strauss replied, “The last Mayoral election hinged upon the rising crime rates in this City. Part of that was turning a blind eye to small crimes, creating an environment where big crimes could happen.”

“I know people who feel that they are getting specifically targeted by the police though” Kat said, “They are getting extorted and abused for no other reason than who they are having sex with.”

“You mean those who have been caught engaging in homosexual activity?” Strauss asked mildly, “Which has been illegal for decades.”

“I wouldn’t be here if friends of mine felt that they had no other recourse but to ask me for help” Kat said.

Strauss stared at her as if Kat was far out of her depth.

“I see and I would suggest finding better friends” Strauss said, “The Law as it has been written exists for a reason. There is compelling evidence that Homosexuals are predatory in nature.”

Kat remembered her father once telling her that it was the activities of otherwise ordinary people that she should be frightened of. It was something that he probably been positioned better than anyone else to know.

Last edited:
Chapter One Thousand Seven Hundred Ten

21st February 1966

Mitte, Berlin

“Something that I don’t think that you have considered Kiki” Peter said offhandedly as he listened to her heart through his stethoscope, “If you had been born to a working-class family you would likely be attending the Medical Academy in Jena. You got there with a staggering amount of hard work and a great of personal sacrifice.”

Having spent forty years as a Physician had taught Peter that the heart and lungs tended to reveal people’s exact thoughts in ways that they might not intend to. Kiki was no exception. Her heartbeat became elevated just after he had made that observation. He could also see her ribs through her skin as he lowered the stethoscope. Nora Berg would throw a fit if she saw Kiki in this state, her clear neglect of her personal health would likely result in an opportunistic infection of some kind if she kept on like this. Peter didn’t notice anything else untoward.

According to Kiki’s stepmother Charlotte, she had slept almost the entire time since she had come from Potsdam with her father. Peter found the entire episode fascinating from a strictly clinical point of view. Kiki running to the gravesite of her mother during a moment of crisis. He was aware of another young woman who had done something similar decades earlier, one who had undoubtedly had a great deal of influence on Kiki. The two situations were extremely different, Peter knew that there were a lot of unresolved issues that had remained after the death of Kiki’s mother. Had Kat ever mentioned this to Kiki or was it something more primal?

“I wish I could believe that” Kiki said as she pulled an old football jersey over her head. “All anyone sees is Princess Kristina when they look at me.”

She said that, but her body had told Peter a different story. He had reached the conclusion that Kiki used the idea that she was underserving of advancement as an excuse for giving up on things and cheapening her accomplishments. The caricature of Princess Kristina was something that Kiki hid behind. It was something that she had done for an extremely long time. The issue was that a prognosis was always easier than finding an effective prescription in Psychology. Peter had heard from a colleague about getting Kiki’s younger sister on the couch, it certainly seemed like every member of this family was grappling with similar issues, the women anyway.

“When what you believe isn’t working for you, then it is time to find something else” Peter replied.

Kiki didn’t act like she had heard that, instead she changed the subject. “Am I as crazy as people must think I am in Jena?” She asked.

“I’m not here to determine that” Peter answered, “This is just a house call for a patient.”

“You came all the way to Berlin for that?” Kiki replied, her voice full of skepticism.

“That and to visit family” Peter replied, “My brother lives a few blocks from here and his daughter just happens to be one of your closest friends.”

Kiki was silent for a long moment, embarrassed that she was so wrapped up in herself that she missed something that obvious. She still tended to be conceited at times. Mostly because of her age, so it was good for her to see that other people had lives.

“You didn’t answer the question” Kiki said.

“You aren’t crazy” Peter replied, “This is just like you having a cold, you need a bit of rest and to eat something. We’ll speak about this some more when you get back to Jena in a couple days.”

“But after what happened on Friday?” Kiki asked, “How is that possible?”

“Don’t be so dramatic Kiki” Peter said, “You yelled at some people who didn’t concern themselves with your boundaries, most of the people I talked to thought that they had it coming.”

Judging from her reaction to hearing that, Peter suspected that Kiki was disappointed that had been the outcome.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Kat had seldom been to the City Hall of Berlin despite it being so close to the Alexander Marketplace. The facade of massive building that occupied an entire city block was entirely of clinker bricks, a feature that lent the Red Hall its name.

Entering the office of the State Prosecutor, Kat was aware of the silence that spread in her wake as she passed through the building. It reminded Kat of when she had been in school and the Headmistress had passed through, everyone knew that someone was in serious trouble for her to leave her office. Then it occurred to Kat that was exactly what this was.

It had taken a great deal of effort on Kat’s part, but she had learned exactly who it was in the City Government who was the cause of Klaus Voll’s complaint. It was with a bit of guilt that Kat discovered that to limit her influence over portions of Berlin’s Criminal Justice bureaucracy, the City had hired an ambitious outsider by the name of Franz Josef Strauss.

“Fürstin von Mischner” Strauss said in greeting as she entered, “To what do I owe the honor of your visit.”

It was obvious that he was not in the least bit intimidated by her reputation. Kat knew that it had been a long time since she had squashed someone like a bug, it showed in situations like this.

“I have been listening to complaints regarding the enforcement of certain laws regarding people’s private lives” Kat said, “Laws whose enforcement had fallen by the wayside.”

“I don’t get to pick and choose which laws get enforced, nor should I” Strauss replied, “The last Mayoral election in this city hinged upon the rising crime rates in this City. Part of that was turning a blind eye to small crimes, creating an environment where big crimes could happen.”

“I know people who feel that they are getting specifically targeted by the police though” Kat said, “They are getting extorted and abused for no other reason than who they are having sex with.”

“You mean those who have been caught engaging in homosexual activity?” Strauss asked mildly, “Which has been illegal for decades.”

“I wouldn’t be here if friends of mine felt that they had no other recourse but to ask me for help” Kat said.

Strauss stared at her as if Kat was far out of her depth.

“I see and I would suggest finding better friends” Strauss said, “The Law as it has been written exists for a reason. There is compelling evidence that Homosexuals are predatory in nature.”

Kat remembered her father once telling her that it was the activities of otherwise ordinary people that she should be frightened of. It was something that he probably been positioned better than anyone else to know.
I have this picture of a cartoon cat suddenly turns into a large tiger and then it’s extended paw has extremely large claws come out to the sound of a switch blade.

The Law is the Law Kat.

She really needs a tame German Lawyer who can exist for no other reason than to allow her to fight certain battles with the right tools.

What she just did was not that.

The best way to target an ambitious politician is by reducing his public appeal and shrinking his budget.

If there is no budget for something, there will be no prosecution. It should not be do not go after gay's but the police budget has shrunk because of you and anyway we have better things to do than go after odd but harmless people. Perhaps we should investigate your finances.

Last edited:
Is this how Kiki’s sister gets exposed? A raid just so happens and she’s caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. Kaiser Louis puts pressure on the government to stop this and after much teeth pilling (figuratively and literally), a bill is passed decriminalizing it.

However it will be another decade or more before legalizing of marriage comes into effect.

Is this how Kiki’s sister gets exposed? A raid just so happens and she’s caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. Kaiser Louis puts pressure on the government to stop this and after much teeth pilling (figuratively and literally), a bill is passed decriminalizing it.

However it will be another decade or more before legalizing of marriage comes into effect.

Dunno... Bear in mind, being lesbian isn't illegal, it's 'only' illegal for men to carry out homosexual acts. So it'd be known venues that cater to male homosexuals that receive the lion's share of raids, etc. So proportionally speaking, the odds are against Vicky being exposed like that. Not saying it couldn't happen, just less likely than if she was a guy.

Last edited:
Dunno... Bear in mind, being lesbian isn't illegal, it's 'only' illegal for men to carry out homosexual acts. So it'd be known venues that cater to male homosexuals that receive the lion's share of raids, etc. So proportionally speaking, the odds are against Vicky being exposed like that. Not saying it couldn't happen, just less likely than if she was a guy.
But say she was at a club, and maybe something like the stonewall riots happens, either she gets or someone she likes does. Everything escalates up the latter and so on.

See, Strauss hasn't twigged that Kat's purpose in life is to solve problems.
What he doesn't want to happen, is for Kat to regard him as a problem.

Because if she does, ANY history whatsoever he has of ANY impropriety, especially if it involves corruption in any official capacity, will become the focus of criminal and/or press attention.

Kat's claws are very sharp and have a very long reach.

ferdi254

Banned
Kat is choosing the wrong target here the Senator of Justice would be the person to go to to tell his subordinate to tone it down.

I really like how Peabody-Martini brings in someone like Franz Josef Strauss in to this timeline because of there is no Nazi Germany Herr Strausss has to find another way to advance himself in Bavarian Politics and making a name for himself by going after "Deviants" in that Fleshpot known as Berlin can only help him with conservative Catholic voters in Bavaria.