Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

ARD still had her editing video and she dreaded the thought of editing anything like what she was currently watching. She had meant what she had said to Louis Junior about dairy farms in the east being bullshit. Her employers were enthusiastic about the project though and they wanted her out in the field to make it happen. That probably had something to do with the dairy cooperative that was funding the documentary. It was in keeping with what Zella had learned involving the economics of Public Broadcasters, they preferred it if documentaries came with self-funding mechanisms. That was why they were not interested in most of Zella’s ideas, her name alone or even that of most of the people she knew were not enough to justify the cost of production.

I suspect that, very soon, Zella's name will be more than enough to justify the cost of production for any documentary she chooses to film.

As they waited for their food, Manfred was reading the latest letter from Suse Rosa. It seemed that Fürstin Katherine had taken her to task about the possibility that when Manfred came back to Berlin something might happen between them and they needed to head off the consequences. It was a radical notion. Not because of the possibility of the action in question but because Manfred wasn’t sure who scared him more, his Aunt Katherine or Suse’s father.

Kurt only ranks that highly with Manfred because he is Suse's father. If Manfred just gives it a little more thought, he'll realise that even Kurt is scared of his Aunt Katherine. Hell, the entire Heer is not-so-secretly in awe of Doug, the bravest man on the planet as far as they are concerned. And possibly the craziest.

As they waited for their food, Manfred was reading the latest letter from Suse Rosa. It seemed that Fürstin Katherine had taken her to task about the possibility that when Manfred came back to Berlin something might happen between them and they needed to head off the consequences. It was a radical notion.

Given that medical tech in the SLaH-verse is more advanced and OTL it was made in 1960, I’m assuming the Pill is available by now.

Not because of the possibility of the action in question but because Manfred wasn’t sure who scared him more, his Aunt Katherine or Suse’s father.

...and here I thought he was somewhat intelligent. How the hell does he not know the answer to any permutation of this question will always be Kat?

Jost may be a strange man, but he does have a good taste in movies.

Seventh Seal is a classic for a reason.

Very true.

“They all preferred that first film” Jost said with a slight grin, “It wasn’t the one I wanted them to see.”

It must be an incredible responsibility for Jost to be training Manfred.
I wonder if how much he sees himself in Block. Does he see this as his last meaningful act or, as a warrior, does he appreciate how many times Death has walked by his side?

Given that medical tech in the SLaH-verse is more advanced and OTL it was made in 1960, I’m assuming the Pill is available by now
We talked about this, back in the late 1930s or early 1940s of this TL. Bound to be, given the much lesser war and Cold War disruption of European science and Britain, France and Germany more affluent during the 1940s and 1950s. Plus, as I said back then, if someone (richer post WW1 Germany or richer no WW2 France, UK, Germany or Italy) had sent an anthropologist or other researcher to backwoods Mexico twenty years sooner and they had picked up on the local women's contraceptive strategy then the Pill could have been synthesized ten or fifteen years earlier.

Given that medical tech in the SLaH-verse is more advanced and OTL it was made in 1960, I’m assuming the Pill is available by now.

...and here I thought he was somewhat intelligent. How the hell does he not know the answer to any permutation of this question will always be Kat?

Very true.
In regards to the radical notion; I get the feeling that Manfred is thinking along the lines of "something happening" between himself & Suse Rosa being said radical notion, given how scary he finds both her father, the panzer general, & his aunt. Not to mention that Manfred isn't really all that sure that there is anything between them.

The American superhero series Batman was being rebroadcast in Berlin a few days after it had aired across the Atlantic. It was both silly and surreal, a lot like if cotton candy were made into a television show. Did people in the United States find this funny or something?
That was also why she feared that she would find herself editing a German version of Batman. That was when the fight scene started, and the music started…

Yes, German humor is no laughing matter.

Zella will go to Silesia, but instead of literal bullshit, she will witness plenty of political bullshit.

I suspect she may just go there to pay testimony to how the different factions do their best to stirr the pot until the balloon goes up.

What is happening in Silesia and other parts of Poland that were depopulated during the war and the subsequent land reforms that brought Non-Polish people to bring back unused farm land back in to production is that the new people have more loyalty and trust with Berlin then with Warsaw.
This is bringing a clash between those who think of themselves as being citizens of the Empire first versus those who think of themselves as being citizens of the various countries and protectorates first then being part of the Empire second.

Another part of the story could be that with the earlier opening up the natural gas reserves in Russia ITTL the need for coal has dramatically gone down and there has been the closing down of coal mines and coal fired power plants which has led to a large number of unemployed coal miners and the government in Warsaw are using the new comers as a scapegoat to distract the population, and that is a dangerous game to play and will backfire on the Warsaw government.

Part 105, Chapter 1708
Chapter One Thousand Seven Hundred Eight

2nd February 1966

Mitte, Berlin

It had been twenty-seven years since that awful day, as Kat was occasionally reminded by the ringing in one of her ears. Her Social Secretary had been inundated with requests for interviews which happened every single year. Like if she would have anything new to offer. There had been books and movies about the events surrounding the Reichstag bombing. Why should Kat have to answer questions asked by people too lazy to go to the library? She absolutely hated to think about what would be in store for her in three years. Instead, Kat was with Klaus Voll doing something that she felt was a far more enjoyable task than dwelling on what Kat personally regarded as her worst professional failure, one where hundreds died. It was also in a location where no one would think to look for Kat, the studio that had Voll worked out of for the last two decades.

“This is just amazing” Voll said as he looked at Suse’s hair. Unlike Gerta, Suse had been born without the wide curls and as far as Kat knew it had never been cut. Voll had asked to see it worn down, which was something that Suse seldom did. The result was a cascade of blond hair that fell to her waist.

“It’s plain” Suse said, as if that described far more than just her hair.

“I disagree with you love” Voll said standing behind Suse and looking at her reflections in the three mirrors, “There is nothing about you that is plain. Your eyes are particularly striking, such an extraordinary shade of blue.”

Suse smiled at the compliment.

This was exactly why Kat had brought Suse to Voll ahead of her birthday at the end of the month. The Auteur was extremely good at what he did and that included making the women he worked with feel like they were perfect when he finished. He had spoken with Kat the day before about the things that troubled Suse regarding her appearance. She had told him about how Suse had been subjected to teasing by her more popular classmates about her small stature and sharp features, they had thought it was funny to say that Suse was something other than human. The way that those same features caused most adults to treat Suse like a child didn’t help matters. Voll was treating Suse like if she was a young woman who was able to make her own decisions. Kat also felt that her goddaughter needed a great deal of help in this regard because she had spent most of the first two decades of her life as a tomboy with the ambition of commanding a Panzer.

“Katherine said that you have a boyfriend” Voll said, “They probably keep him awake at night.”

“Manny is a boy and he is my friend” Suse replied, “I’m not sure if he is more than that, it’s weird.”

“Not weird, love. Never say that” Voll said as his assistant started getting Suse’s measurements. “Say that it is complicated. It makes you so much more interesting.”

Kat had watched Voll at work for years with herself and the other girls who had come of age under her supervision. The sort of needless drama that teenagers engaged in while they were still trying to figure out life seldom surprised him.

“Complicated and interesting?” Suse asked, clearly amused by that.

“Yes” Voll said, “It helps you be mysterious, if you can cultivate that then the boys will find you irresistible.”

Suse blushed when he mentioned boys finding her irresistible. The young men who she interacted with generally treated Suse like if she were invisible, especially when she was in the presence of Jo or Ina, both of whom were far more conventionally attractive than Suse was.

“Now if you will excuse me for a moment Suse Rosa, my assistants will finish here while I have a word with your Auntie” Voll said, “We won’t be more than a few steps away.”

Stepping aside, Kat saw Voll’s whole demeanor change. In the past he always went out of his way to present himself as flamboyant and nonthreatening. However, Kat knew about Voll’s past, how he had spent a decade in the Heer as an Officer and had led an Infantry Company in Spain. The way he was presenting himself now was probably the way he had then.

“If this is about the payment” Kat said.

Voll gave her an annoyed look.

“I know that your money is good, it’s about your friends in the Berlin Police going on another of their queer hunts” Voll said, “People close to me are getting targeted.”

“Just what do you expect me to do?” Kat asked. This seemed like a non sequitur.

“You are the Fürstin of Berlin, Katherine” Voll replied, “I told some friends that I would talk to you.”

“It is a figurehead position” Kat said, “The Governing Mayor and the Red Hall hold the real power.”

“And everyone knows who holds their leash” Voll replied.

It was obvious that Voll had thought about what he was going to say when he got the chance. Kat also felt that she owed Voll a great deal after all the uncritical advice he had given and discretion he had shown over the prior years.

“I’ll have to see what I can do” Kat said with an exasperated sigh.

Last edited:
I can see in around the 2000, a TV production being made called the Micheners, a multi generational drama following the family as they become the most influential in Germany

I can see in around the 2000, a TV production being made called the Micheners, a multi generational drama following the family as they become the most influential in Germany
By that point, the portrayal of Otto and Aunt Marcella will be rather more accurate than the fairytale version that does the rounds at the moment ITTL,

It sounds as if there is someone new in a senior position, either in the Berlin police or das Rathaus, looking to make their mark by cracking down on the 'deviants' & others of 'low moral character'. By their standards at least. Its a pity that some people just can't help but hate on those different from them.

It sounds as if there is someone new in a senior position, either in the Berlin police or das Rathaus, looking to make their mark by cracking down on the 'deviants' & others of 'low moral character'. By their standards at least. Its a pity that some people just can't help but hate on those different from them.

True that :(

Sounds like someone new alright. From what I’ve read (primarily looking at Britain here, but seems to have been similar in some other European nations) by the 1960s the police weren’t really going after gay people actively anymore, unless it got brought to their attention fairly blatantly, since there was a growing view that the laws against it violated civil liberties. Still an awful time to be gay, especially with the risk of blackmail or reputational damage plus a continued (lessened but still there) risk of arrest, but not as dangerous as the 50s. So if we’re assuming a similar trajectory for Germany ITTL, suddenly seeing things go active again implies someone new...

Monitor

Donor

Sounds like someone new alright. From what I’ve read (primarily looking at Britain here, but seems to have been similar in some other European nations) by the 1960s the police weren’t really going after gay people actively anymore, unless it got brought to their attention fairly blatantly, since there was a growing view that the laws against it violated civil liberties. Still an awful time to be gay, especially with the risk of blackmail or reputational damage plus a continued (lessened but still there) risk of arrest, but not as dangerous as the 50s. So if we’re assuming a similar trajectory for Germany ITTL, suddenly seeing things go active again implies someone new...
Which might mean that it was very good to bring that to Kats attention, and might even speed up the LGBTQ rights movement, which is a plus!

Another "Queer Hunt." That's enough to make me want to bring out certain machinery from Spandau and carry out a decapitation strike on the people involved.
I hope that this blows things wide open and makes some progress on implementing basic civil rights.

I’m wondering if this is going to make Victoria to come out publicly.

Also, I’m really looking forward to Kat destroying people. It’s been a while.

It is most likely that because of the dire straits that Germany faced in The European War the fact that if someone was gay or lesbian it was pretty much overlooked and unless it was very blatant a lot of blind eyes were turned to it.
This could be led by veterans who for the most part want homosexuality legalized and the end to discriminations that they face in everyday life.
This could be done by showing the public veterans who have been highly decorated for their actions in combat and have attained high rank.
When the question is asked by those opposed to Gay Rights "Do you want them in your same foxhole or sleeping in the next bunk?' the answer will be they already were and it was no big deal.
If Vicky is caught up inadvertently in a raid it is most likely either going to be covered up or her security team was actively setting her up to embarrass the Kaiser and his family as there may be still some elements in the security force that was co-opted by von Papen that are still in place.

Well it depended. People like Hugh Lane, Ivor Novello, Hugh Walpole or Harold Nicholson had influential family or friends while Somerset Maugham ( actually Maugham had both, his older brother was one of Britain's most distinguished lawyers) and Noel Coward had Intelligence Service connections. Basically the issue wasn't given priority unless something like cottaging or importuning got out of hand leading to public complaints though Burgess and Maclean's defection to the USSR did inspire a crackdown in the early 1950s. That gay men could be traitors or victims of blackmail being the main drivers.

Starting in the 20's Berlin was pretty much the gay capital of the world, with the gays and the lesbians having their own magazine (each), openly gay, lesbians and drag-queen bars, etc.
597pz0h5q1a01.jpg

Of course, that was until the NSDAP took power. Since that didn't happen, it's possible that ITTL it continued the trend.