Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

FBKampfer

Banned
I quoted 1/3 of said chapter.

Its not unfeasible considering it iss related to the question I am asking.

No, but it makes no sense to quote it, given it is barely related to the question you are asking.

The only way it's relevant is that the subject of your question is mentioned in the post as a background character.

“Diopos Papadopoulos, you come highly recommended” The Admiral said
I.e. you're intelligent enough to carry out the mission but too dumb/patriotic to really understand the consequences.

"But afterwards, you will know that you will have won the peace, if you survive.”
A.K.A. suicide mission

Do you really think the Americans will want to spend all that money? I'm not so sure they will want to ITTL. Mainly because they don't have a power hegemony over the rest of the world. And there is no Cold War, and thus no boogeyman, to drive the military complex. If there even is a decently sized military complex, since they didnt really participate in WW2, and the action in Mexico wasn't a large enough conflict to really set it up.

I do really think the Americans would like to upgrade their military equipment, but that they will be too stingy to actually do it.

I really think we as readers are stilling assigning too much power to TTL America. Their military(army & navy) just isn't there due to the non-participation of WW2
Before WW1 the U.S. considered the Empire the biggest threat and made it's military accordingly. The same way of thinking still applies, the U.S. will shape it's military against the biggest perceived threat, Deutschland's alliance system.
The U.S. didn't really participate in WW2 but they were selling arms so military industry is probably not sitting too bad. They probably also had observers and/or been able to get at least some kind of reports from that, South Africa and Turkey to go with the experiences in Mexico.

At this point, it looks (to the rest of the world) that the Turks took stupid pills. I suspect Turkey has something of an unearned reputation as a third-rate military...
..."we had no idea they'd ram their heads into a brick wall like that" as the Turks just being the Turks.
It's easy to see the results and say it was stupid. The Turks didn't have that though. As we have now seen they had information pointing to a likely victory and with the strategic situation decided it was a situation the couldn't let pass.

FBKampfer

Banned
Actually given their planning, my money would have been on the Turks even with Russia in the picture, if they'd had adequate armor.

As the years pass on by, we are going to see the Sisterhood suffer from the effects of the physical, mental, and emotional abuse from their years in state care.
Some of it will be chronic physical ailments that will range from manageable to debilitating to the point that the sufferers can't function.
On the emotional and mental side there will be behaviors in which some of the abused will become the abusers themselves and some will engage in reckless ways including things like excessive gambling, extremely dangerous physical activities, and in some cases seeking relationships both emotional and sexual that is inappropriate.
While not all of them will go through this, it will affect everyone around them and ther

Does that secret greek mission involve one of the three first letters of the alphabet?
Do the russians know about it?
I'm looking forward to the german and british reaction.

As the years pass on by, we are going to see the Sisterhood suffer from the effects of the physical, mental, and emotional abuse from their years in state care.
Some of it will be chronic physical ailments that will range from manageable to debilitating to the point that the sufferers can't function.
On the emotional and mental side there will be behaviors in which some of the abused will become the abusers themselves and some will engage in reckless ways including things like excessive gambling, extremely dangerous physical activities, and in some cases seeking relationships both emotional and sexual that is inappropriate.
While not all of them will go through this, it will affect everyone around them
True and we are seeing evidence of this but don't underestimate the influence of peer group cohort support and therapeutic intervention. That they have a Sisterhood will to some extent serve to help keep them on the rails. Part of the problem with PTSD survivors is that they are no longer able to remain in the Army/Navy/Marines/Air Force and are bereft of the support of their peers.

As I was bored I started to think evil thoughts like how can the United States screw with Great Britain for making threats against them, the it hit me: Free Officers Movement in Egypt.
IOTL it was formed in 1945 but it gained momentum after the IOTL Israeli War of Independence in 1948 and it took power after the Coup of 1952.
While the basic issues remain that lead to the formation of the FOM, without the disastrous performance of Egypt in the 1948 war it is taking a little bit more time to gather support for their plans.
With backing from the United States, the FOM can take power in Egypt, kick Great Britain and France out of the Suez Canal, open it up to warships from the United States Navy, and block other countries navies from using it.
And what can go wrong with a plan like that?

Plenty...

Part 73, Chapter 1076
Chapter One Thousand Seventy-Six

23rd July 1954

Lemnos Island, Greece

It had taken years of work, but Greek industry had built a copy of the German A4 rocket. The only thing that they had yet to be able to duplicate was the guidance system. That was a closely held secret that the Germans had refused to divulge to anyone. Instead, other measures were currently being taken. It was just hoped that the launch of the six rockets were successful because all the technicians looked nervously at the steel containment vessels as they were loaded. There were rumors about what happened if that stuff got exposed to air, or worse, water. They had been advised that in the event of a break in containment to just run because each rocket would be carrying 900 liters.

The fact that even the Germans considered this a weapon too dangerous to put into the field should have given everyone pause. Instead, that had made it all the more desirable for them. They wanted the Turks to feel the hand of God for this latest trespass. All that they needed was the signal to commence the countdown.

Ankara, Turkey

To be in the middle of the Turkish capital had never actually been the goal of the Greek Military. Fotios and his team had been given simple orders to infiltrate the city, set the radio beacon in a central location, get out and do not dawdle. No other details, not that they needed any. Still they had been warned that their survival was secondary to the mission itself and were given a chance to back out at that point. Only one man from Fotios’ team had backed out, the oldest and with the most to lose if the mission went bad.

Setting the dial on the beacon Fotios switched it on and ran for the door. It was obvious to Fotios that it was inevitable that the Turks would hear the signal, there were no slouches in their Army. That meant that when they figured where the signal was coming from they would probably blow the building where Fotios had hidden the transmitter apart. Even if it wasn’t the plan, he had no intention of being anywhere near here when that happened. Once he was in the car that was waiting outside, and the lookouts were piling into the back it occurred to him how sloppy this whole plan was. Whatever plan the Air Force had cooked up had perhaps an hour before things went all pear-shaped. That was hardly, Fotios’ concern though. They had carefully scouted the route out of the city. Nothing fancy, just avoid the check-points and be gone. No one in the team wanted to risk what would happen if their documents, no matter how expertly forged, were scrutinized too closely.

It wasn’t until they were on the edge of the city when they came to a check point. Pissed off Turkish soldiers, like if there were any other kind.

“Your papers please” The soldier said with a voice that suggested that him and his comrades would happily shoot anyone who gave them an excuse. The driver reluctantly handed the paper over just as there was a crackling sound and loud boom that reverberated across the city. Clouds of yellowish smoke spread out from the site of the explosion. Fotios saw a column of dust and flame rise over the city. Distracted, the soldier waved them through the checkpoint just as a second explosion happened. This time Fotios could see that entire buildings were being engulfed instantly in flames. Something that shouldn’t have happened considering what they were made of. Whatever was going on, Fotios had no intention of sticking around long enough to find out.

Potsdam

“I am supposed to be learning from you Ma’am” Lea said, “While I don’t think that you have been trying to avoid me it has worked that way in practice.”

Between being the XO and everything that was going on during Kat’s own time. Tempelhof, Ilse, the twins, the other girls, Gia asking her advice with Anya, Ilse again.

“I’m sorry” Kat said, “I have been keeping track of you even if I’ve not been talked to you directly. If there were any issues I would have said something.”

What Kat didn’t say was that she had made sure that the Squad that Lea was leading was comprised of experienced men. She was also a part of the protection detail of Rea and Vicky. The two nine-year-old Princesses seldom left the grounds of the residence, so all Lea would be doing was learning in an environment with extremely low stakes.

“That is what my grandfather told me” Lea said, “He also said that I need pay attention to how you handle your expansive family as well.”

“That is certainly an odd thing to say” Kat replied.

“You have accepted your half brothers and sisters” Lea said, “My grandfather’s wife tells everyone that my mother is a cousin rather than his daughter.”

“You’ll be pleased to know that in my family, calling someone a cousin is how we hide Russian royalty” Kat said, which Lea found that amusing.

“I’ll be sure to tell my grandfather that the next time I see him” Lea said with a slight smile.

“Now, if you want to learn I would suggest that you listen to Oberstaber Schafer” Kat said, “This Regiment’s responsibility is not like one of your grandfather’s books, there is no handbook for this.”

Lea seemed genuinely surprised that Kat would have figured that out already.

It was then that the phone started ringing.

Last edited:

FBKampfer

Banned
And the Greeks just went and pissed away the moral high ground, committed war crimes, and justified almost anything the United States wants to send to Turkey all in one move.

And put a bunch of egg all over UK and Germany's faces.

Germany wants to make sure that this conflict doesn't start to attract more players in this.
Russia wants to assert more influence and control of the region and will back Greece to the hilt.
Great Britain has had a historic interest in Greece and I think that there is a family connection between the House of Windsor and the House of Glucksburg.
The United States wants out of this mess before it gets in too deep.

Chlorine trifluoride for the win?...

Could be. I'm thinking the warhead has napalm, or something similar. We'll see.

And the Greeks just went and pissed away the moral high ground, committed war crimes, and justified almost anything the United States wants to send to Turkey all in one move.

And put a bunch of egg all over UK and Germany's faces.

I don't know about the war crimes, but I believe that talks were going on, so Russia, Germany and the UK just got an international embarrassment.

Careful FB, we don't want bear sightings around here.

Right. Do you want to fight him with your bare hands? Against *his* bear hands?

The Bear is not the one to fear, it's the ones who hide in the shadows.

Watching.

Waiting.

I don't see any mods this instant. But they're here, all right. They're here.

FBKampfer

Banned
I don't know about the war crimes, but I believe that talks were going on, so Russia, Germany and the UK just got an international embarrassment.

Right. Do you want to fight him with your bare hands? Against *his* bear hands?

Use of WMD's, chemical weapons, and targeting civilization population.

The Greeks have committed *several* war crimes.