No, Rinasoir, that's not necessarily how it works. Seriously."Responsibility is on road users at all times to be able to react. Even if you could not reasonably react, you still hit the individual and thus the court finds in favour of damages to the plaintiff."
She hit him. In a civil suit, that is all that matters. Judge might choose to not award punitive damages, but they will award damages.
Hell, even if Mithras is only coming away from this with a broken arm, is found out, and is sent to prison. He could still sue Aurora for damages, and most likely win the case.
There is something called here in America called "Contributory Negligence", so if you step out into the street without making sure that there is no traffic coming and you get hit, "it's your own damn fault, you big stupid!" A jury gets to decide your level of negligence and that is "deducted" from the other person's (or company) level of culpability. "Because you did this, you are found to be 80% negligent" means the other side is adjudged to be only 20% responsible, and any monetary judgements are based on the level. In one case I know of, the respondent found only 20% negligent sued the other party for legal fees & won! Isn't American civil law wonderful? And in most cases the civil laws vary to one extent or anther depending on the 50 different states! Crazy!!
But please don't presume laws here in America - especially civil laws - are the same in the German Empire, this timeline or P-M's! Here in the States, one can sue for damages even though the accident was their fault - but German civil laws are different, and likely as unlike American civil law as possible. American civil law (and some criminal law) is based on old English Common Law. Not German Common Law (IDK what form that takes). But German civil laws are more likely based on laws & customs dating from the Holy Roman Empire than from English Common Law. So a comparison of German civil law & remedies vs US civil law & remedies is kinda doing an "orange vs. avocado" comparison, IMHO.
P-M wrote, "He wasn’t paying attention when he stepped out into the street against the light and the only warning that he had was the squeal of tires on pavement as a car tried to stop before it hit him. That right there stops ANY criminal investigation in it's inception. If Aurora was trying to kill him, it's 100% more likely that she'd be accelerating before hitting him.
So, very little civil responsibility attaches to someone else if a fool does foolish things and gets sent to hospital. Or in Mithra's case, unfortunately not to the Undertaker (Downunder's Funeral Parlor; "You down 'em, we'll under 'em!").
And a defense based on the reflex time needed to react IS a great defense, since it's scientifically well established that human mental reaction time takes at least 0.05 to 0.78 seconds, and muscular reaction time, .20 to .29 seconds, so between 0.75 and 1.07 seconds will elapse before any possible action to, say, step on the break pedal, could possibly occur. Even in a car traveling 5-10 MPH
Then there is the distance needed to stop that vehicle, which vary to many factors. However, we're loosing sight of the apple.
A person blindly stepping out into the street like Mithras did is the only person responsible if all other factors are even. Aurora did not attempt to assassinate Mithras! His injuries are strictly a result of Mithras' own stupidity and negligence. I'm kinda sorry it wasn't his death, but Aurora doesn't need the mental trauma caused to most people by having killed someone. It sucks, even if you're in the military (USMC) and are trained, indoctrinated, & encouraged to want to kill other people (those enemy guys there), and then have to do it.
A group (Russian women, maybe) talking about it and then doing it are 2 different things, and mentally/emotionally surviving after killing another human being isn't all that easy (for most of us) unless maybe you're a psychopath.
Since Aurora's hitting Mithras was an accident (and P-M says it was an accident), she truly bears no legal or social burden.
OTOH, if Aurora had hit him on purpose, a halfway decent lawyer worth his/her salt would chew up the prosecution's case.