Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

Part 100, Chapter 1602
Chapter One Thousand Six Hundred Two

4th November 1963

Wunsdorf-Zosen

The SPz-4 was charging forward over rough ground and Doug was wedged in just behind the driver’s seat with a squad of Dragoons filling the remainder of the tight space. He was wearing a helmet and flak vest that had been lent to him, the word PRESSE had been stenciled on the front and back of the vest in large yellow letters. An MG-42/48 was in the middle of the floor along with several boxes of ammunition. The arrangement was that the driver sat on the left side of the hull just behind the transmission in the bow and the steel box that contained engine was on the right. He could see the feet of the armored vehicle’s Commander and Gunner as they sat in the turret above the main compartment. Unlike an actual Panzer, there was no turret basket. They sat with their feet on rests or on the peddles that controlled the 20mm cannon and coaxial 8mm machine gun. He had grown used to the constant and violent motion of the APCs decades earlier, otherwise spending his time looking through the viewfinder of his camera would have made him sick. Soren Yount and other senior Noncoms of the Panzer Dragoons had greeted him as if he was an old friend, basically one of them.

“You came with us all the way from Poland to Moscow, then went to Manchuria” Soren said, “The only difference between us was that you could gone home at any time. Hell, you were even the one who got the girl too.”

That wasn’t quite true. If Doug had ever called it quits during that time, he would have found himself sent right back to Europe with the Canadian Army. As for getting the girl, Kat would probably have quite a few things to say about that. Especially regarding Soren’s inability to knock on doors before he opened them and just how he had gotten his nose broken. It was the same incident that had prompted Kat to do that photo session that Doug would certainly never forget. Soren did not need to know any of that though.

The reason why Doug found himself in an APC was that he was photographing a Platoon of Heavy Infantry as they went through a live fire training exercise was because Hans wanted him to help create a new advertising campaign for the Panzer Corps. Glossy, full color adverts with lots of action depicting how fun and exciting the Dragoons were was what he had asked for. However, just getting those photographs was proving to be a bit of a challenge. Doug’s insider/outsider status was made clear when the machine gun started firing, the spent cartridges and loose belt links that missed the chute started landing on him. No one had wanted to sit where Doug was because they knew that this would happen. The smirk that most of the others in the red light that filled the interior of the APC revealed as much. These were Soren’s “men” though Doug had a hard time thinking of them that way. Most of them were still teenagers with the fire team leaders being in their twenties. Though Doug knew that they were more or less the same age that Hans, Soren and Jost had been when Doug had met them, they still looked like schoolboys playing at being soldiers to him.

The soldier sitting across from Doug was holding the 40mm grenade launcher that this outfit was supposed to be evaluating. According to Doug’s source, the Heer had stumbled across examples of the American M-79 Korea. Thinking of it as an enlarged version of a break-action shotgun, Procurement in Wunsdorf had turned to Merkel in Suhl to help with reverse engineering it. While the gunsmiths at Merkel had certainly recreated a version of the M-79, the examples of what they had produced was simply too beautiful to be a weapon of war, rust-blued and with a walnut stock. They had even engraved the receivers, but instead of things like ivy, trees, boars or stags they had added things that reflected what they thought were part of the mission of a Grenadier. This had been a big hit with the men, though no one thought for an instant that any production versions would look like that if it was adopted by the Heer. The one that Doug was looking at had an engraving of a Lynx Panzer and curlicues that looked like barbed wire.

“Keep low Herr Blackwood” The Unteroffizer in charge of this Squad yelled, “And try to keep out of fields of fire!”

“Not the first time I’ve done this” Doug yelled back, “Unlike the cardboard targets you’ll be dealing with, the Russians and Japanese tend to shoot back!”

That got Doug several wide-eyed looks. These young men were in awe of their elders from the Second World War, the ones who had thrown themselves into the gears a machine that should have ground them to paste and broke it.

With that the light in the interior of the APC changed from red to blinking amber, letting them know that they were nearing the sector that they had been ordered to attack. Then the light went back to red. Everyone grabbed the gear that was assigned to them and Doug took a quick snapshot, hoping that the photograph would come out despite the dim light.

Seconds later, the ramp dropped, and the Dragoons stormed out the back of the APC. Doug hung back and took photographs. More than a few times he was showered in debris and he kept as close to the action as he could. Finally, the exercise ended and when Soren saw Doug he laughed.

“Some things never change I see” Soren said, leaving Doug wondering what he was talking about. Then he noticed that a piece of shrapnel had cut a hole in the sleeve of his coat without him noticing or hitting him.

“I would appreciate it if you could avoid telling my wife how that happened” Doug replied.

Last edited:
Suse Rosa - "Aunt Kat, how do I get strong enough to pass the Panzer Corps fitness test? Or is there some trick that I can learn, so that I can do it? And PLEEEASSEE don't tell Papa I've asked! I want it to be a surprise!"
Kat (muttering) - "Dear God, why do they always come to me... "
This is where the example of Princess Kristina comes in, Suse Rosa can look to one of her old minders to see that there are other options for her.
Her Aunt Kat can also point out other examples like her old aide Sigi as a role model.
Suse Rosa seems to be very focused and ambitious and also apparently intelligent enough to look at other paths for her to follow.

For those of you who have never seen what Merkel engraving looks like, I figured that if they got asked to make a dozen grenade launchers they would probably show off a bit.

20304-04.jpg

That's gorgeous, and hilarious to include on a grenade launcher.

That is what any self-respecting weapons manufacturer, used to the old-time & long-standing marketing trick of buttering up the mark... err... customer..., would do to the sample(s) that they send to the generals' in charge of procurement & panzergrenadiers.
The actual soldier using it in this exercise, who is obviously unlucky enough to have been trusted with it, must be dreading Soren's reaction if there is so much as a nick on the damn thing. After all, while the general in question (Hans) obviously isn't letting the fancy new toy influence his decision, he may want said toy back in one piece afterwards.

Part 100, Chapter 1603
Chapter One Thousand Six Hundred Three

15th November 1963

Mid-Atlantic Ocean

Louis ranked slightly higher than the Deckoffizier in the ship’s chain of command. Still, the old Warrant Officer had the advantages that came from having spent a lifetime at sea, so when it came to actual authority, he was just below the Captain. That was a reason why Louis was on watch in the bridge. The Albatros was making fast headway on calm seas as she passed into the Southern Hemisphere. He was up here with the silent Helmsman because most of the rest of the crew was enjoying the festivities that surrounded crossing the equator and someone sober needed to be in charge. He had done that ceremony aboard the Brandenburg south of Singapore on the way to Korea and didn’t feel the need to partake this time. Hugo had no idea what the rest of the rest of the crew had in store for the “polliwogs” aboard the ship, but he was probably getting more than his fill of that at that very moment. There were times when Louis found Hugo’s apparent naivety to be completely unbelievable.

It was bad enough that Hugo’s specialty was that he was a Cartographer. It was something that would keep him busy once they got to Antarctica, in the meantime he was regarded as not much more than cargo by most of the crew. Louis might have been seen the same way, as the Assistant Navigator and Coxswain there wasn’t a whole lot for him to do. The difference was that Louis had earned their respect in Korea and took watches up on the bridge. He was seen as playing a role in the ship’s crew and the expedition.

The other day though, Hugo had made a mistake that made Louis wonder why they had allowed him to leave the Academy. Louis had discovered that one of the books that Hugo had brought with them was the sort that was bound to cause trouble. It was a copy of The Complete Fiction of H.P. Lovecraft and Hugo had jokingly asked him about whether or not they would find an alien city like the one in At the Mountains of Madness. Louis had told him that it was extremely unlikely and suggested that he keep his possession of that book to himself. Perhaps Louis had overreacted, but he understood how things worked with the crew. They lived and breathed superstition. Talk of space aliens as ancient gods that manipulated mankind for all of history, inherited guilt and the vagaries of fate cut a little too close for comfort. The Sailors had tattoos that were seeped with meaning, mostly relating to survival or the fickle nature of luck and the sea. A book like that aboard this ship was playing with fire, especially because they really were going off into the unknown and it wasn’t the monsters in the shadows that they needed to fear. Louis understood that the real threat was the all too human reactions of people in desperate situations.

It was a good thing that most of the crew couldn’t be bothered to read a book, Louis thought to himself.

22nd November 1963

Dublin, Ireland

Jack was exhausted as he stepped out of the Law offices where he worked. It was a rainy evening and Bridget said that dinner would be on the table when he got home. A week earlier, before he had left for Hong Kong, Bridget had said that she thought she was pregnant again. Jack had a bad feeling that it was a matter that she was going to bring up tonight over said dinner. If they were going to have another baby, then they would probably need to move into a bigger house. Jack could certainly afford it these days. Still, another kid…

The partners of his firm were over the moon as the billable hours that he had been racking up and putting them in contact with the businesses that were very interested in opening shop in Ireland now that China was growing ever more chaotic. Still, the roundtrip between Dublin and Hong Kong was brutal. Heaven help Jack if the partners ever learned that he was also acting as the go-between for British Military Intelligence and certain factions in mainland China. Most of the partners would cold-bloodedly see it as the cost of doing business, but they would be furious about him not letting them in on it. They saw MI6 as a big pool of money that they could dip into. Jack on the other hand knew that in Ireland there were still a lot of people who saw the British Military in general and their Intelligence Agencies in particular as the lapdogs of the Devil. They wouldn’t hesitate to…

Jack was preoccupied as he started to cross the street, when he felt a hand grab him by the shoulder and pull him backwards roughly. A wall of steel passed by inches from his nose. Jack was still trying to process what it was when he heard the blast of an airhorn and saw the red taillights of a lorry growing smaller in the distance before it went around a corner. Turning around Jack saw the man who had grabbed him by the shoulder. He was wearing a black coat and Jack noticed a white clerical collar.

“Careful my son” The Priest said, “None of us are guaranteed a tomorrow and I doubt that you are in a hurry to meet God.”

Jack was reminded of all the information that had been coming to light in dribs and drabs as the Irish Catholic Church had fought a losing battle to keep its secrets that ranged from less than flattering to hang the bastards from the nearest tree. That was the Church as an institution though, it was often different on the individual level. It was something that Jack had to remind himself of occasionally.

“Thank you” Jack said.

The Priest tipped his hat to him. “We wouldn’t want you going to your eternal judgement too soon would we Mister Kennedy” He said.

Jack took his previous thought back. The cursed English weren’t the only ones who had too many spies.

Last edited:
Meanwhile in Dallas, Texas...
It was a bright sunny day but there was a storm brewing.

But seriously the post about the German Army adopting the U.S Army M79 shows the real value of having Generals who have a lot of combat experience as enlisted and NCOs compared to those who came up the more traditional route.
Generals like Hans, Kurt, and Tilo are more concerned about what works instead of the "Not Invented Here" mentality that the more traditional officers have.
It is very likely that the M79 was a very effective weapon for the Chinese Army in the last war and it was probably a good thing that they did not have a large supply of them.
I have no doubt that the Germans will make significant improvement in the weapon and will refine the tactics in a way that will maximize the firepower potential.

22nd November 1963

Dublin, Ireland

Jack was preoccupied as he started to cross the street, when he felt a hand grab him by the shoulder and pull him backwards roughly. A wall of steel passed by inches from his nose... Turning around Jack saw the man who had grabbed him by the shoulder. He was wearing a black coat and Jack noticed a white clerical collar.

“Careful my son” The Priest said, “None of us are guaranteed a tomorrow and I doubt that you are in a hurry to meet God.” The Priest tipped his hat to him. “We wouldn’t want you going to your eternal judgement too soon would we Mister Kennedy” He said.

Very smooth work @Peabody-Martini !

Meanwhile in Dallas, Texas...
It was a bright sunny day but there was a storm brewing.

But seriously the post about the German Army adopting the U.S Army M79 shows the real value of having Generals who have a lot of combat experience as enlisted and NCOs compared to those who came up the more traditional route.
Generals like Hans, Kurt, and Tilo are more concerned about what works instead of the "Not Invented Here" mentality that the more traditional officers have.
It is very likely that the M79 was a very effective weapon for the Chinese Army in the last war and it was probably a good thing that they did not have a large supply of them.
I have no doubt that the Germans will make significant improvement in the weapon and will refine the tactics in a way that will maximize the firepower potential.

There was probably a fair amount of facepalming and "Why the hell didn't WE think of this?", followed by "We had the wrong type of grenade for far too long & then we went the rifle grenades the Brits & Frogs came up with. So... "

There was probably a fair amount of facepalming and "Why the hell didn't WE think of this?", followed by "We had the wrong type of grenade for far too long & then we went the rifle grenades the Brits & Frogs came up with. So... "

Wonder how long they figure out a way to make an automatic one that at the least can be mounted on a truck, APC, Helocopter, motorcycle, pack mule, etc. etc.

Wonder how long they figure out a way to make an automatic one that at the least can be mounted on a truck, APC, Helocopter, motorcycle, pack mule, etc. etc.
Panzer Velociraptors when

Also I am now half hoping for LCpl L. H. "Rabbit" Oswald and Jack Kennedy to meet at some point.

Marc A

Getting back to that extremely well-made grenade launcher for a second, I can't help but wonder if Hans is tempted to get one for old Manfred, for pest control against the more feral pigs roaming his estates. Technically, it COULD be classified as a large bore shotgun.

Getting back to that extremely well-made grenade launcher for a second, I can't help but wonder if Hans is tempted to get one for old Manfred, for pest control against the more feral pigs roaming his estates. Technically, it COULD be classified as a large bore shotgun.

I dare say that Manfred would be offended.

His approach to conservationism involves as little disruption as possible to the world, that means single, precise shots. Blowing chunks out of everything is the opposite of what he would want, and if anything would likely reinforce his own prejudices against his son in law as a mule headed oaf.

I dare say that Manfred would be offended.

His approach to conservationism involves as little disruption as possible to the world, that means single, precise shots. Blowing chunks out of everything is the opposite of what he would want, and if anything would likely reinforce his own prejudices against his son in law as a mule headed oaf.

There are always solid slugs.

The question is whether or not someone else now dies in his stead because he survived....

*ahem*

Allow me....

US Embassy in Berlin,
November 23rd 1963

It was a scene of panic and pandemonium in the lobby as Cpl Oswald did his best to assist the man on the ground before him.

"God dammit, what is up with the ambulance?"

"Sorry Rabbit, Krauts say it'll be another ten minutes out."

"This guy doesn't have ten minutes. Fuck."

The last part was an exclamation of defeat as he felt the older businessman stop breathing, he didn't hesitate and began to offer CPR, knowing even it was simply nothing more than a false hope at this point. He had needed to tune out the sound of the man's hysteric wife, but even he heard her shriek when he started pumping the mans chest hard to the rhythm he had been taught, and then when he blew breath into the men he was sure he heard her faint.

'Keep it together Oswald, you have to try dammit.'

He didn't know when the German paramedics had arrived, he just knew it felt like an eternity later, and his arms were tired from the hard work. The paramedic had given him a quick note of thanks, and didn't seem to chastise him over bruising the shit out the patients ribs, so Oswald just made his way towards the barracks then, and collapsed into a chair in exhaustion, he had about three minutes before the LT was on top of him, asking what the hell happened.

"Still don't rightly know sir, guy came in, was supposed to be going to some meeting, and I was walking through the lobby. Next thing I know, he starts complaining of chest pains, and I guess the medic training took over? Tried to help him as best I could, and when the heart attack hit hard, I did what I could sir."

"You did good Corporal, just needed to know what to put in the report. Guy's name was Jack Ruby, by the way, and his wife seems to have recovered, her first question was were the hell you'd gone?"