Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

Nah, the ultimate weapon is the human mind.

And eternal peace is not something achievable. As long as two particles will rub together to create friction there will not be eternal peace. Lasting peace is possible, yes but not eternal.

It's why we need to drive to make eternal conflict, but without loss of life, the ultimate goal.

As such, in this animé show pitch I will highlight the following areas....

That's utopic. Look at Fallout. As soon as humans have sticks and stones, they'll make spears and trebuchets out of them.

Part 99, Chapter 1574
Chapter One Thousand Five Hundred Seventy-Four

27th June 1963

Potsdam

Considering the sort of life that his children led, Louis Ferdinand was amazed at how idealistic they could be at times. This time it was Freddy explaining how the first days of his marriage had worked out and he had found it to be a bit contrary to whatever romantic notions that he had.

On their wedding night all Freddy and Suga had wanted to do was sleep. The next day they had spent moving Suga into the spacious flat that they had leased in Mitte. This was because the old residence of the Crown Prince had been leased to the State and was going to be opened up to the public as the National Gallery of Modern Art in a few months. Because both of them were still students at University, they had needed a place to live that was in a central location and neither of them wanted to live in the vast pile of marble that was Freddy’s by birth. That was also the reason why they were holding off on taking their honeymoon until after the end of the present academic year.

They had left that in order for Suga to wish her family farewell as they had boarded the plane that would take them back to Tokyo. It had been later that evening when Suga had started to feel ill and that had complicated things.

The Doctor had said that it was just a viral infection, Influenza even if it was a bit late in the year for that. He had recommended fluid and rest. The press had caught wind of this when Freddy had slipped out to the market to get Suga the medication and orange juice that she had asked for.

As Louis had listened to his son tell the story of the events of the last few days, it was hard not to feel a bit of amusement. In reality, life was often far from where anyone wanted it to be. No amount of aspirational thinking by Freddy, or rebellion by Kiki and Ria could change that.

“Marriage is the promise that you will share your life with someone” Louis said, “That include everything that comes with it, good and bad.”

“Yes” Freddy said, “But I had told Suga that things would be different though.”

That was a key part of Freddy’s reaction. Nearly every woman in his life had been leaning on him to not behave like such a heel.

“That mostly involves getting you to stop making fun of your sisters” Louis said, “As for the rest, you and Suga have been running at a sprint for months. Once you stopped, having everything catch up with you was both inevitable and beyond your control. She understands that.”

That was how things had worked out. When Freddy had gotten Kiki a black and white Whippet puppy everyone had felt that he had gone too far that time. The dog, Rauchbier, had actually become popular with the public once they learned about him. Having spent several formative months as the collective pet of an entire helicopter wing had certainly socialized him to a degree that was astonishing. Still, the incident had caused Freddy to make several promises and he was finding that they were hard to keep at times. According to Louis’ source within Freddy’s household, Suga had practically chased Freddy out of their flat at gunpoint to have lunch with him. While he had done his best to be an attentive husband with a sick wife, Freddy was still learning the balance of things.

Tempelhof, Berlin

It had been Doug’s idea and Kat had gone along with it. Now that Asia was entering the eighth month of her pregnancy, she should move into one of the guest rooms of their house. She had no one else and until she had her baby and could find some sort of accommodation with that, she would need help. Kat and Doug were the closest thing to family that she had in Berlin with her younger brothers and sisters either estranged or living elsewhere. She was on maternity leave from her position as an instructor at the BND/BII Training Academy at Falkensee, so she didn’t have many alternatives.

It was a huge adjustment for Asia. She was an extremely private person by nature, and she liked to spend her spare time in silence as she pursued her interests. Kat’s house was anything but silent. There was always activity going on, people coming and going constantly, the children playing or who knew what else was going on. It wasn’t the noise that really bothered her though, it was the nearly helpless state that she had found herself in. Ever since she had been freed from the nightmare of Danvers, she had wanted to maintain control at all times. Asia’s condition had robbed that control from her, and she was finding it grating.

Sitting in the chair that overlooked the street from her bedroom window, Asia just looked at her swollen belly with consternation. She had been told that they estimated that it would be in there for another four to five weeks when she wanted it out this instant. It felt like being in an airliner and the little shit in the seat behind hers was kicking the seat. The problem was that she couldn’t ask the stewardess to be seated somewhere else on the plane.

“Tante Asia?” A voice asked from around the door which opened a crack.

“Yes, Marie” Asia replied.

Kat’s youngest daughter poked her head into the room. It was strange seeing Marie every day. While there were some substantial differences between the two of them, Asia frequently got the impression that she was catching a glimpse of what Kat must have been like as a little girl. Right down to the red hair and freckles.

“Babulya told me to tell you that dinner is going to be ready soon and told me to ask if you needed help getting downstairs” Marie said as she entered the room looking at Asia with some trepidation. Meaning that Petia had sent her. Kat’s children had taken to addressing her by that Russian term. It was something that Petia had not minded in the least.

“Thank you” Asia said. She didn’t think that she would need help but was annoyed by the fact that Kat’s house had so many staircases to go up and down.

Last edited:
For those who might be wondering what Rauchbier looks like.

98ef9a3c739cdaf6f4508827a526a651.jpg

That's a handsome looking dog, though I wonder about his ability to maintain his trim look given the probably propensity of an entire helicopter wing to slip him treats. :)
Depends on the dog. I had two whippets and one would eat till it puked and the other had to be enticed to eat.

On their wedding night all Freddy and Suga had wanted to do was sleep. The next day they had spent moving Suga into the spacious flat that they had leased in Mitte. This was because the old residence of the Crown Prince had been leased to the State and was going to be opened up to the public as the National Gallery of Modern Art in a few months. Because both of them were still students at University, they had needed a place to live that was in a central location and neither of them wanted to live in the vast pile of marble that was Freddy’s by birth. That was also the reason why they were holding off on taking their honeymoon until after the end of the present academic year.
I
This passage sound very middle class to me, I would have assumed that basically everything would have been done before the wedding and all they would have to do was just move in.
When my nephew got married in September that was exactly what the newlyweds did and their families helped in that.
They are also delaying their honeymoon until they can get more time off as they both took their vacation time for the run up to the wedding.

Part 99, Chapter 1575
Chapter One Thousand Five Hundred Seventy-Five

30th June 1963

Kiel

He had disappointed Esther again and he couldn’t tell exactly why. He was aware that it was something very important, but it seemed out of reach. Esther, he remembered her, most of the time anyway. The two younger women who had come around, that had ended in tears when he had drawn a blank about who they were to him. Later he had overheard them talking in the parlor in hushed tones as they spoke about how they might one day end up like their father. One of the most brilliant men of his generation. Now his mind was almost completely gone, and he was getting worse. He wondered who this poor man was. When he asked Esther about it, she had looked at him with a mixture of frustration and disappointment.

At some point, von Holz, a man who he remembered as being a rival of some kind had visited. His reaction had resulted in Esther asking him to leave. “I think it would have been better for everyone if the Japanese had gotten a lucky shot in and taken out the flag bridge of the Preussen than this” von Holz had said. He tried to remember what the Preussen was, and the image of a vast ship came to mind. One that had meant everything to him. Then he realized he couldn’t remember why. Places, time and things seemed to be lost to him.

When he reacted out of anger and frustration to that, his batman, the one he was never supposed to be away from had told him to calm down. They would go and do something fun later.

Potsdam

Kiki was giving Ben the tour of the Summer Residence. So far, that had included just keeping to the public spaces and always being aware that her minders were never more than a few steps away. No funny business was what she had been told, and Kiki was disappointed much to her surprise.

“Why am I not surprised that you own a car like this” Ben said as he sat down in the passenger seat of Kiki’s red Volkswagen Karma Ghia convertible. A second later, Rauchbier jumped onto Ben’s lap and it was clear that he expected them to go somewhere. The car was on jacks and all the fluids had been drained. It would take some work to get it back in running condition. They were not going anywhere today. Kiki just laughed at Ben as he tried to gently shoo the dog off him. It was something that never worked, Rauchbier would sit there until Ben actually pushed him off.

Kiki had pulled the cover off after showing Ben around the garage that was full of her father’s projects. The old Mercedes Benz touring cars were a passion of Kiki’s father, most weekends he could be found in here tinkering with them. The touring cars had long been surpassed by newer models. However, they represented the blend of art and engineering that few vehicles that came off the assembly lines now could match. Kiki’s Ghia had been parked in the corner waiting until she came back for it.

“I suppose that I am going to need to get it running if I’m going to Jena in August” Kiki said.

“You are still doing that?” Ben asked.

“I would be crazy not to” Kiki replied.

“Still, it’s Jena” Ben said, “That place has a reputation, the birthplace of Langism and all that.”

“I can take care of myself” Kiki said as she turned the radio on. To her surprise, there was still enough power left in the battery for it to work. Music started coming from the speakers that was from the University station.

“I saw your brother on the news” Ben said changing the subject. “He leased a flat.”

“Friedrich has always aspired to be ordinary” Kiki replied, “My hope is that Suga can cure him of that.”

Ben looked like he was surprised by that answer. He shouldn’t have been. Suga’s preferences were towards the minimalist style that was popular in Japan. The things that she had brought with her to the flat might have fit in a couple boxes and in what Kiki considered to be a minor miracle, Freddy had waited to decorate until after the wedding and Suga had a direct say in it. Otherwise it might have become a shrine to what Kiki suspected was her brother’s true religion, Berliner Football. A big deal had been made of Suga moving in though and Kiki found the whole thing to be a bit of an anti-climax.

“When we were children Freddy found some servant’s quarters in the attic of a wing of the Winter Palace that was going unused” Kiki said, “He turned it into his own space where he could pretend that he was leading an ordinary, unremarkable life. I think that his new flat is just a better-appointed version of that.”

Ben just shook his head. “You describe things like that” He said, “Freddy in the attic, you with your books or any number of other things. It’s amazing to me that all of you are not completely batty.”

“Mostly it was because we didn’t understand how strange it all was for a very long time” Kiki replied.

“You also lived in an attic room” Ben said with a knowing smile, “At Kat’s house, I used to watch you brush out your hair through the window.”

“That was different” Kiki replied.

Ben just sat there smugly scratching Rauchbier behind his ears.

Last edited:
What a heartbreaking update on the Grand Admiral, hopefully with the help of his batman Esther is able to lead some life of her own away from him.

A nice slice of life insight of what is going on with Kiki and Ben, going to Jena seems to be nothing more then an adventure to Kiki right now in order for her to achieve her life goal.
Despite her intention, Rauchbier is becoming a part of her life and she has great affection for it.

IOTL when Rudolf Hess died in 1987 the British government who had control of the sector of Berlin in which the prison was located, tore down the prison and put in a NAFFI market and parking lot and was nicknamed HESSCO.