Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

Is Nadine STILL that clueless? Has she not put 2 and 2 together to work out who Kiki is yet?
OK, I kind of get it, everywhere else in the world, the woman of the house next door doesn't take a Princess in as a lodger, (although Kat now has form for this, aided and abetted by Aunt Marcella), but unless Nadine is the kind of person that never reads a newspaper she must have her suspicions surely?

Nadine's first concern is her son. Not in the style of an over-bearing mother, but in the style of a woman afraid her baby is going to wind up overly invested in a woman who is a broken wreck with severe emotional issues and will only hurt him in the future.

She isn't Margot 2.0. She is just, probably, the most ordinary woman in this whole story and a better reflection of everyday thinking in Germany than any other character we have seen.

Is it wrong that I want Mithras to change tactics and begin to romance Kiki?:p

I mean, if he wants to destroy the Royal family, why not do it from within?

Nadine's first concern is her son. Not in the style of an over-bearing mother, but in the style of a woman afraid her baby is going to wind up overly invested in a woman who is a broken wreck with severe emotional issues and will only hurt him in the future.

She isn't Margot 2.0. She is just, probably, the most ordinary woman in this whole story and a better reflection of everyday thinking in Germany than any other character we have seen.
That's right. She's running in a mix of Overprotective Mother Protocol, and i suspect a bit of fear of someone what EARNED a reputation through fire, death and blood, a figure larger than life, who also its surrounded by individuals and girls of shady history and difficult lives, something that magnifies her fears for her son.

In the other foot, she's quite the isolated from the world affairs hausfrau, because otherwise there its no explanation of the whole not getting the clue about Kiki's real identity.

In the other foot, she's quite the isolated from the world affairs hausfrau, because otherwise there its no explanation of the whole not getting the clue about Kiki's real identity.

Oh yes, I agree on that. I mean at this point it is almost more wilful ignorance than just waiting for the penny to drop, if nothing else I would have expected her to have a collection of newspaper articles and pictures of her son's actions, as any proud mother would, and for at least one of those to either insinuate the relationship with the Princess or at least show the two of them together in such a way as to make the penny in her head drop.

"And in other news, Princess Kristina Von Preussen made an official visit to the Hannover Military Hospital. She was accompanied by the Luftwaffe flying ace nicknamed the Black Knight".
Nadine: "but why are they showing pictures of that Fischer girl and my son on the television"?

Nadine doesn’t have the malice Margot does, especially because Margot would NOT have comforted Kat. She’s just very sheltered and doesn’t realize that the sisterhood next door isn’t a broken group of misfits or society’s castoffs but instead are very prominent persons in society and the government who also have a rough history.

There is also a bit of nimby problem, i.e how can it be that all those "broken" people live in this so-called prestigious neighbourhood and make me leave the comfortable existence I build for myself.

What do we know about Nadine?
I think it was established that she is an instructor at the University and thus has little time for things she might considered to be trivial to her like the doings of the Imperial Family.
Every Monday afternoon and attends a book (wine drinking) club with other women from the University.
I have met with people from Great Britain who don't give Two Farthings about the Royal Family and don't understand what the bloody hell the Americans have with their obsession with them.
Nadine could be one of these people that don't give zwei pfennings about the Imperial Family and may rent out her house for an enormous sum of money to gullible American tourists for the Royal Wedding.
As for her not following Ben's heroics in Korea, remember there is no 24/7 news going on and as long there wasn't a knock on the door informing her that Ben died,wounded or was captured then everything was fine, and this may not have been the first time she has been through something like this as she could have gone through like this twenty years ago with another family member.

What do we know about Nadine?
I think it was established that she is an instructor at the University and thus has little time for things she might considered to be trivial to her like the doings of the Imperial Family.
Every Monday afternoon and attends a book (wine drinking) club with other women from the University.
I have met with people from Great Britain who don't give Two Farthings about the Royal Family and don't understand what the bloody hell the Americans have with their obsession with them.
Nadine could be one of these people that don't give zwei pfennings about the Imperial Family and may rent out her house for an enormous sum of money to gullible American tourists for the Royal Wedding.
As for her not following Ben's heroics in Korea, remember there is no 24/7 news going on and as long there wasn't a knock on the door informing her that Ben died,wounded or was captured then everything was fine, and this may not have been the first time she has been through something like this as she could have gone through like this twenty years ago with another family member.

Everytime I read one of your posts I have to wonder about the life you have lived to make the perceptions you have....

Nothing bad, just more curiosity.

Everytime I read one of your posts I have to wonder about the life you have lived to make the perceptions you have....

Nothing bad, just more curiosity.
Actually no life at all, I had to take care of my parents for over twenty years because of their health, I had to give up a good job because the company I was with was sold to a bigger company and I would have to go to the East Coast for and that is when my parents health went downhill.
The only jobs I could get had to revolve around doctors appointments and hospital stays and I had no personal life to speak of.
So one of the things to occupy my mind during different rounds of appointments, hospital visits and and physical therapy was to fill in the gaps of fictional characters and situations and that led me to alternative history which led me to go this timeline.

* Kat seen entering a hotel somewhere on the planet for a totally innocent family vacation *

Local official #1: 'Is that Grafin von Mischner?'
Local official #2: 'I think so. I wonder why she's here?'
Local official #3: 'The Tigress? Here?! Oh, shit! Oh, shit! Oh, shit!'
Officials #1 & #2: 'WTF HAVE YOU DONE?!'

* Cue all sorts of shenanigans & random chaos. Media proclaims discovery of a scandal that brings down several important & powerful persons, who are facing decades in prison, and crediting the discovery to the arrival of Kat in the area *

Kat: 'WTF? We were on vacation! We spent the entire time sightseeing with the kids!'
Doug: tries to suppress laughter due to extremely heightened sense of self-preservation.

Thank you for making me howl!!!!!

Actually no life at all, I had to take care of my parents for over twenty years because of their health, I had to give up a good job because the company I was with was sold to a bigger company and I would have to go to the East Coast for and that is when my parents health went downhill.
The only jobs I could get had to revolve around doctors appointments and hospital stays and I had no personal life to speak of.
So one of the things to occupy my mind during different rounds of appointments, hospital visits and and physical therapy was to fill in the gaps of fictional characters and situations and that led me to alternative history which led me to go this timeline.
My respects, Ejpsan.

Part 98, Chapter 1550
Chapter One Thousand Five Hundred Fifty

27th March 1963

Tempelhof, Berlin

As she had so often in the past, Kat found herself in the parlor trying to coax some answers out of Asia who had been looking a bit worse than usual over the prior months. There were also some things that had become increasingly obvious about Asia’s appearance that Kat had very gently brought up.

“Please don’t judge me too harshly” Was what Asia said after Kat finally got her to talk and she admitted what was going on.

For the last few years, since the mess in America, Asia had been having difficulty recovering from that incident. While she had been going grey for a long time, what had happened in the State Hospital had sped up that process considerably. When Kat had spoken with Douglas about it, he had observed that in Danvers they had run enough electricity through her to light up half of Boston and that had left an indelible mark. While Asia had had always been soft spoken, almost mute. These days it seemed like she didn’t speak unless she had to and even then, it seemed like words had to dragged from her.

While Asia had done nothing to jeopardize her appointment as Mistress of the Keys, she had been engaged in what Doctor Holz would have referred to as self-medicating with a mixture of alcohol and various pharmaceuticals. She had also engaged in other kinds of escapism. As it turned out there were consequences that would only serve to further complicate her life. When Asia had gotten sick over the winter, it had turned out not to a case of the flu, which was what she had told Kat weeks earlier. She might even have convinced herself of that at the time. At this point though, Asia could hardly deny matters any longer, not to Kat anyway. As unlikely as Kat may have considered it to have ever happened, Asia had somehow gotten herself pregnant.

“Have you ever known me to be a hypocrite?” Kat asked in reply, “I’ve been where you are a few times. Remember?”

Asia looked extremely relieved to hear that.

“Leni, Anne, Tilde, Ilse, Gerta, Helene, even me” Kat said, “Will be more than happy to fill your ears with horror stories about our own experiences.”

It was not as if Asia was without means, still the entire sisterhood would need to come to Asia’s aid in the coming months.

“But I’m not married” Asia said. Echoing Kat’s thoughts, Kat hid her annoyance with it as best she could. After all the dogma that Asia that rejected in her life, she still felt guilt over things that she shouldn’t have to. Doug and Ilse had described what it was like growing up in the Catholic Church and Erma Tangeman used to say that many of the problems that existed in the world could be traced back to the gaggle of elderly virgin men who infested the Vatican.

“Yes, about that” Kat replied, “Do you intend to? To the father?”

“He is not someone I would want to spend five more minutes with” Asia said, “Much less marrying him.”

Kat couldn’t help but noticing that Asia had said that with far more certainty than anything else she had said. The contradictions that made Asia who she was were very apparent here.

----------------------------------------------------------------

“Please hold while we redirect your call, Sir” The Operator said to Ben as he waited to get through. The number that Kiki had given to him was to the Berlin Phone Exchange with an extension directly into her suite of rooms in the Winter Residence leaving no direct record of a call to the Hohenzollern Palace. After a minute, it started ringing again.

“What?” Kiki asked when she answered.

“Happy to hear from you too” Ben replied.

“Sorry Ben, I thought you were Zella, who was supposed to call me back” Kiki said, “She’s acting like a complete bitch again.”

“Isn’t that how she always is?”

“Don’t you start with that” Kiki said, Ben had never gotten along with Kiki’s dear friend. That was something that would probably never change.

“Hello Benjamin” Ben heard a voice say in the background, Aurora.

“Tell Aurora hello for me” Ben said.

“Ben said hello” Ben heard Kiki say before she got back on the phone. “Did you need anything?”

“I just wanted to hear from you how you were handling house arrest” Ben said.

Kiki made an exasperated noise. The First Foot had said that they had received a creditable death threat on her by the same merry band of terrorists who had ambushed her FSR team. Supposedly they wanted revenge for the loss of their five friends. This time they were taking no chances. Kiki had found herself stuck in the palace and with round the clock protection.

“They are talking about sending me to Swabia to play figurehead in the Hohenzollern Provence” Kiki said, “I have the castle, now all I need is dragon and I will be a real fairy tale princess.”

“I don’t think that your typical fairy tale princess would tell her Knight Errant to piss off because she can save herself” Ben said.

That got a bit of a laugh out of Kiki.

“Ah yes, that is why I love the Black Knight so much” Kiki said, “He at least tries to understand me.”

“It’s the least I can do” Ben said, “I could always visit you there and because you are the Lady of the Castle you could authorize it.”

“You would find the castle to be drafty and not particularly comfortable.”

“It didn’t seem too bad when I was there last winter.”

“It was because my father was there” Kiki said, “When he isn’t, the staff doesn’t put in as much effort.”

“You are saying that the Emperor tolerates his little girl freezing in the dark?” Ben asked jokingly.

“If it saves him a few Reichsmarks then he would cheerfully tell me to throw an extra blanket on my bed and call it good” Kiki replied, “I wonder what the press would do if they knew the lengths that he goes to save money.”

“You do know there is a reason why your family has been at the top of the heap for the last two hundred years?” Ben asked.

Before Kiki could answer the sound of something plastic hitting a hard surface was heard over the line. Ben thought he heard an all too familiar voice cursing.

“What was that?” Kiki asked.

Last edited: