Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

There was a massive crackdown going on against Berlin’s criminal element, but it would never touch Otto Mischner. Even if it did, he’d made sure that Kat and Urban, his two designated heirs to the separate and distinct parts of his personal empire had access to the numbered bank accounts in Switzerland and Luxembourg.
I took this passage to mean that the money was split between Kat and Urban with Urban getting the Organization.
If this is the case did Kat take both shares of the money or is there is still an unclaimed share our there?
If there is still money unclaimed or more importantly that there are rumors of money unclaimed then there are people who are stupid enough to try to go after it.
One of things that may be fueling all the rumors (if that is the case) is how Kat is still living a relatively modest lifestyle and any investments she has made has been made with her own money that has been legitimately made.
By now it has been over ten years since the death of Otto Mischner and there still stories being told about him and some of them are actually true.

Sorry I don't know what that is in reference to, I have clouds in my coffee and I am about to jet off to Nova Scotia to see the eclipse of the Sun...

It's a line of lyrics for the Carly Simon tune, "You're So Vain," released in 1972, with that line referencing the actor Warren Beatty. Simon & Beatty dated for a time 'way back then.

It's a line of lyrics for the Carly Simon tune, "You're So Vain," released in 1972, with that line referencing the actor Warren Beatty. Simon & Beatty dated for a time 'way back then.
And the lines clouds in my coffee, and jet off to Nova Scotia to see the total eclipse of the sun are part of the song, but I am happy that at Saratoga my horse naturally won.

Chapter One Thousand Five Hundred Thirty-Six
Because this whole thing would have to be done unofficially and as quietly as possible. Kat would need someone without a previous connection to her, she thought knew just the person to have her back this time and sort of an expert in doing things quietly. Kat just needed to convince him to help and she didn’t have the first clue as to what motivated him.

Well lets check the unusual suspects:

1. The Ninja, might stick out like a sore thumb in Sweden/Denmark
2. Karol Wojtyla "Friend of Hans" and we haven't heard from him for a while
3. John at the V8 club. Might just fit the bill, seem to meet the criteria.
4. Juan Pujols.
5. Really off the wall but how about Gia's Husband? He does control a whole bunch of Spetnaz and if Kat talked to Gia and she talked to hubby, welllll.

5. Really off the wall but how about Gia's Husband? He does control a whole bunch of Spetnaz and if Kat talked to Gia and she talked to hubby, welllll.

That right there is what’s called a back channel favor among nations. My votes for Spetznaz or maybe even the Russian Mafia being co-opted into doing this.

Well lets check the unusual suspects:

1. The Ninja, might stick out like a sore thumb in Sweden/Denmark
2. Karol Wojtyla "Friend of Hans" and we haven't heard from him for a while
3. John at the V8 club. Might just fit the bill, seem to meet the criteria.
4. Juan Pujols.

1. Is my vote so I'll gloss over him.
2. CAN NOT BE TRUSTED. You get him on board and even if you agree to pay him hush money, he'll be hitting you up for the rest of his life (also last I saw, he was a General in the Polish Army)
3. She already knows John, so doesn't fit the "No previous Connection" criteria.
4. See above.
5. See above. Also she'd then owe the Czar a favour. Kat would rather gargle lemons and rock salt than that.

@Peabody-Martini - can you just confirm, is Urban still alive ITTL?
Jarl can handle the war in Denmark.
I suspect Urban still has enough clout to be able to send a message to the Danes that their war stays in Denmark, and under NO circumstances does it come into Germany. Its definitely in his interest that this war stays in Denmark. If it comes into Germany then it disrupts his business and it brings Law Enforcement attention which is also bad for business.
Kat might be able to send that message, but at the same time that means being directly involved, and she would have to demonstrate WHY she has the clout that she should be listened to which is something she very consciously stepped away from.

I think any of them stupid enough to think they can waltz in and grab Jo are in for a VERY, VERY nasty surprise.

Urban took six hollow points rounds from Otto before dying and Otto was stabbed by Urban and bled out but not before giving Maria a false story about how he was the one who informed on his organization.

Thank you.

That makes this whole thing a bit stickier. Looks like it may have to be Kat that sends the message after all. That said, it's a last resort and if Jo being tagged as a companion to Vikki or Rea, (putting them under the protection of 1st Foot), isn't enough then Kat may have to.

I think that Germany is heading to a new version of "The Crisis Years" first off the leading economic indicators show that there is a severe down turn coming soon, and with the conservative National Liberals in charge they may decide that the answer is austerity.
That means budget cuts to a lot of programs like student aid which will cause massive student unrest led by the Jacobians, with no dynamic leader of the space program, that is going to be on the chopping blocks and that means a lot of middle class, middle aged engineers are going to find themselves out of a job, I don't know if Erik and other veterans like him who where wounded in battle get a partial disability of something like 10-20% on top of their civil service salaries and if that is the case then it's Erik's "Beer and Chips" money that the government may cut and he and other veterans won't be happy.
There is a new wave of gang violence brewing and there is the possibility that heroin addiction is rising and it could be major problem to the middle class and that means that there will be calls.for stricter drug laws, IOTL laws like the Rockefeller Laws had broad middle class support, and IOTL at that time drug and alcohol addiction were not seen as illnesses but as weaknesses.

Part 97, Chapter 1537
Chapter One Thousand Five Hundred Thirty-Seven

4th February 1963

Mitte, Berlin

Jo was starting to wonder what Kat was thinking by sending her here today. Kat had told her that she owed it to her mother to get on with her life and had brushed aside Jo’s protests. She had insisted that Jo put on her nicest clothes and had driven her across town to the Winter Residence. That was when Jo had been introduced to Princess Marie Cecilie, who left a lot to be desired. Finding herself in one of the corners of the large room where the Empress held her Court without her being present was a part of that. The only other people in the room were a handful of workers who were changing the lightbulbs in chandeliers that lit up the room and they were ignoring Jo and Marie Cecilie.

“I personally think that the entire idea of introducing young Ladies before the Imperial Court is an outmoded relic of another era and it is just obscenely patriarchal” Marie Cecilie, “We are led out like cattle for auction as if our only value is in having a uterus that can regularly pop out preferably male offspring.”

She looked at Jo as if she expected a reaction to that comment and Jo just wanted to slap her for being so moronic.

“Tough crowd” Marie Cecilie muttered. She had just been appointed the Maid of the Chamber, her role was to be deputy to the Chief Court Mistress and to oversee the Maids of the Court. That included preparing them for their introduction to Society. The obviously practiced speech that she had just done suggested just how seriously she took the whole matter. Jo was the first “Maid of the Court” that she had met and dealing with her on top of everything else was the last thing that Jo needed.

Jo had been introduced to Marie Cecilie this afternoon, it was odd to be formally declared a friend and companion of a girl she had never met before. Especially one who seemed to go through life as frivolously as Marie Cecilie did. She didn’t seem to understand anything about how life really worked outside the walls of her family’s various residences.

“Just shut the fuck up Marie Cecilie” Jo said, “I don’t care.”

Marie Cecilie just stared at Jo as if she had grown a second head. It took a few seconds for her to regain her composure, apparently no one had ever said anything like that before.

“What could possibly be more important Josefine?” Marie Cecilie demanded.

More important than a tradition that Marie Cecilie was making fun of only few minutes earlier. Jo could think of about a million other things.

“My mother died a few days ago” Jo said, once she had gotten past crying over the whole matter, she had just become numb to the whole matter.

Marie Cecilie just looked at her dumbfounded.

“Is that a joke?” Marie Cecilie asked, “Er… Was it sudden?”

“Suicide tends to be” Jo replied, her voice far more flip than she intended.

“Why are you here then? Shouldn’t you be with your family?”

“The closest thing to family I have left insisted that I meet you” Jo replied, “She said I need to look to the future.”

“That was a horrible thing to say” Marie Cecilie said, finally something they could agree on, sort of.

“Yes” Jo said, “But Aunt Katherine has been through a lot in her life.”

“Wait” Marie Cecilie said, “Which Katherine? Don’t tell me you mean the Gräfin?”

Jo watched her whole demeanor change.

“Is there something wrong?” Jo asked.

“Kat doesn’t do anything without having a very good reason for doing so” Marie Cecilie snapped, “And what is with this Marie Cecilie business, no one calls me that.”

“No one calls me Josefine either!” Jo practically yelled in her face.

To Jo’s surprise, Marie Cecilie didn’t get angry. Instead, she laughed. “The last girl who they sent to be my official friend was a complete jellyfish” She said, “Which you are not, thank God.”

“Jellyfish?” Jo asked.

“No brain or spine but somehow gets through life” Marie Cecilie replied, “My actual friends call me Rea”

“Please call me Jo then.”

“We are going to have so much fun” Marie Cecilie, no Rea, Jo corrected herself. Then she remembered hearing rumors about a girl named Rea a couple years ahead of her in the Gymnasia who had gotten thrown out for gross misconduct. Once again, Jo was left wondering what Kat had been thinking but for entirely different reasons.

----------------------------------------------------------------

All these years later, Kat still missed coffee.

There was a social aspect to tea though that wasn’t quite comparable to anything else she had ever encountered. That went doubly for today when she was meeting with Suga regarding the upcoming wedding where Kat had been asked by the bride and groom to play a key role in the proceedings. Considering that she had been a surrogate Aunt to Friedrich for his entire life, so she was more than happy to do that.

Even with the event itself still months away, there was a staggering amount of planning ahead and even with a staff involved Kat showing up to offer Suga moral support was more than welcome. Having tea with Suga also served a second purpose. When Kat met Suga at the Japanese Embassy, she dropped a letter in the lobby. The contents of the letter meant nothing to everyone but the person she wanted to talk to. Now she had to wait.

Last edited: