Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

Seems that Kat forgot to tell Kiki about that wee little bit...... Odds are that Kat it's developing a bit of a trolling side.....
The United States needs to repair their reputation in the eyes of the world, while they were not the instigators of the Korean Conflict they are seen as being the enablers that allowed China to have the confidence to attack Korea.
What the United States should do is award both Hans and Kat the Legion of Merit medal which is usually awarded to high ranking officers of foreign militaries, for their part in securing the safety and dignity of the First Special Forces Group in crossing the lines from the Chinese side to the Korean side.
While Hans will have no problems in accepting the award it is bit of a troll job on Kat as she has a well known abhorrence to being given awards and she does not have the best of opinions about the United States, but the Kaiser will make her take it as having good relations with the United States is more important then her feelings.

FBKampfer

Banned
“It says here that the new planes will have improved engines” Wim said, and then was flipping through page after page filled with technical jargon. “They are giving us the option of reheat.”

Wait wait wait.... The Germans got their hands on J75 technical specifications with the Arrow, ditched the afterburners, used them for years including as multirole fighters on combat deployment, somehow maintaining outstanding performance, and are only now sticking afterburners on it?

A J75's afterburners increase thrust by almost 50%. The arrow, even with afterburners, only just cracked 1300 in testing. Ditch the afterburners and its probably a subsonic fighter, no ifs ands or buts, especially loaded at combat weights. Fuck the weapons bay, you can't design away induced drag.

If you intend to imply that the Germans were pushing 23k (necessary, by the laws of physics, to push an arrow to 1300mph) out of a dry 45" turbojet in the 50's, you need to rethink that. That's HIGHLY unbelievable.

Wait wait wait.... The Germans got their hands on J75 technical specifications with the Arrow, ditched the afterburners, used them for years including as multirole fighters on combat deployment, somehow maintaining outstanding performance, and are only now sticking afterburners on it?

A J75's afterburners increase thrust by almost 50%. The arrow, even with afterburners, only just cracked 1300 in testing. Ditch the afterburners and its probably a subsonic fighter, no ifs ands or buts, especially loaded at combat weights. Fuck the weapons bay, you can't design away induced drag.

If you intend to imply that the Germans were pushing 23k (necessary, by the laws of physics, to push an arrow to 1300mph) out of a dry 45" turbojet in the 50's, you need to rethink that. That's HIGHLY unbelievable.

I remember to read that the engines were turbofan, not turbojet. I don't know right now if that is realistic or not.

If you intend to imply that the Germans were pushing 23k (ne8 cessary, by the laws of physics, to push an arrow to 1300mph) out of a dry 45" turbojet in the 50's, you need to rethink that. That's HIGHLY unbelievable.
Nope, the reason for the deletion had less to do with the top speed and more to do with the thirsty nature of early jet engines. The other reason was that the Pfeil series was originally built using off the shelf parts on a design that was handed to Arado. It being competitive with an analog of the American Saber series wasn't the first consideration. The need to climb quickly at times became an issue.

ferdi254

Banned
Ejpsan such a thing as credit or noncredit courses did not exist in Germany until the Bologna reforms to go to Bachelor or Master in this century. Before it was Diplom...(insert type of study).

German academic degrees were and still are completely different from the USA. One example which I did not comment about is that to become a medic or to become a fully qualified doctor are two completely different lines of education. Rettungssanitäter is in itself a profession. (Folks this is simplifying things but just to give you the gist of it)

Ejpsan such a thing as credit or noncredit courses did not exist in Germany until the Bologna reforms to go to Bachelor or Master in this century. Before it was Diplom...(insert type of study).

German academic degrees were and still are completely different from the USA. One example which I did not comment about is that to become a medic or to become a fully qualified doctor are two completely different lines of education. Rettungssanitäter is in itself a profession. (Folks this is simplifying things but just to give you the gist of it)
Too bad they stopped the Diplom degrees.

By the way it's about time that Ben gets a call from the DLR.

Thank you did not know this but my point was that there may have been some fear that may or may not be reasonable on part of the returning veterans that they have lost their place in school.
As a "What If" is a student who is on a path for a degree in a highly competitive field where there is x number of spots and as a reservist they are called up and after completing their service they are told that they lost their place and they have to wait until a spot opens for them, but they are free to go to another university that offers the same studies but at an university with a lower academic reputation.
Conversely if we go by what happened with student movements at this point IOTL, the first protests will be about academic issues including admissions policies and as a "What If" in this case students who took spots vacated by the previously mentioned veterans are told that the returning students now have priority over them and now they are the ones who have to wait until a spot opens for them.
This is where the open conflict begins with the Jacobians against the establishment about the favoritism that is shown to veterans over the "more deserving" students.
Or most likely it is me over thinking things again and missing the point completely.

That is something that I was aware of and have been working around to.

FBKampfer

Banned
Nope, the reason for the deletion had less to do with the top speed and more to do with the thirsty nature of early jet engines. The other reason was that the Pfeil series was originally built using off the shelf parts on a design that was handed to Arado. It being competitive with an analog of the American Saber series wasn't the first consideration. The need to climb quickly at times became an issue.

The problem with this is that it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. OTL Germany had plans in 1944 that could match your TTL Pfeil. You already have given aeronautical engineering a kick in the pants, and then simultaneously slowed down fighter development for some reason.

Assuming US fighter development stayed roughly on trajectory (and looking at the big players in the 50's, I can't see why they would have significantly altered course), we should have had supersonic fighters since around '55. Unless the Goshawk is a late Gen 1 or early Gen 2, a Pfeil sans afterburners (assuming similar mass to the OTL Arrow) wouldn't have any significant speed or climb advantage. Especially when missiles are in play.

Part 96, Chapter 1518
Chapter One Thousand Five Hundred Eighteen

15th October 1962

Kiel

In the contest between the structure of the human hand and load bearing components of their habitations it was extremely obvious which one almost always won. As Kiki had finished the conversation with her Academic Adviser at the University of Berlin, she had started the understand the desire that some people had at times to shove their hand through the nearest wall. Having seen that sort of injury numerous times was the only thing that kept her from doing something so stupid.

It had started simply enough. Kiki had called to see where she stood with her pursuit of her aspirations. He had asked after all the work she had put in, why would she want to essentially be starting over? Wasn’t her career working out well for her already? Kiki had thought that she had been working towards something. Now, nearly two years later she had learned that she had basically been racing down a blind alley. He had suggested that there were a number of courses she should consider taking in the Spring Term if that was what she wanted to do. He had also come across as incredibly patronizing when he had said all this. He basically implied that Kiki was too stupid have figured that out on her own. It was a reminder of what had happened before Kiki had begun attending the Gymnasia, the Royal Tutor had frequently been that condescending towards Kiki whenever she had asked a tough question. Especially if he didn’t know the answer.

It was especially aggravating because if anyone else found out about this then once again all the talk would be about how Kiki was naïve, the sheltered and coddled Princess. She was starting to hate that aspect of herself. Years earlier, Kat had made a comment that the public image of her was like having an unwelcome roommate that she had to live with. Kiki was starting to understand exactly what that meant. Presently, she was sitting in the wheelhouse of the Meta enduring another largely sleepless night watching the ships as they left Kiel. The ferries that were bound for Denmark, Sweden and Norway left from here. She tried to imagine the people on those ships, outbound late at night and waking up in an entirely different country. It seemed a bit romantic when she thought about it. Kiki had come here to get the license to pilot the barge, perhaps when she got it, she would go somewhere distant. She had heard that by taking a series of rivers and canals she could go all the way to the Black Sea or the Mediterranean.

Taking a sip of the herbal tea that Doctor Berg had recommended, Kiki marveled that something that smelled so sickly sweet could taste so bitter once it was in her mouth. It was supposed to help her sleep, though sleeping wasn’t the problem. It was the incidents that haunted her dreams, men bleeding out as she struggled to save them and having all of it be for naught. Was that a metaphor for the rest of her life? All the sacrifices that she had made and everything that she had done turning out to be wrongheaded. What exactly was she supposed to do about it? Some of what she had learned had to count for something beyond the career that had given her all the nightmares.

Kiki heard Hera mew at her from below the chair that she was sitting on. Looking down, she saw the cat’s mismatched eyes staring up at her. Whatever else was going on, Hera still loved her in the aloof manner that cats did with their people. As Kiki picked Hera up, the thought of love reminded her of Ben. She knew she needed to call him, but that was complicated. Zella found it funny that he was in love with Kiki, a woman who couldn’t afford to allow herself to fall in love with anyone. Zella was one to talk. She had never been in a relationship that had lasted more than a few weeks and Kiki had long had the intrusive thought that the only one who Zella had ever truly loved was herself. Ben would always be special to her, but she needed to find a way to break up with him again before the reality of the way things had to be crashed down upon them and ruined even that. Didn’t she?

Scratching behind Hera’s ears Kiki heard her start to purr. If only things were as simple for her as they were for Hera…

Kiki snapped awake.

The cup of tea was cold to the touch and her back was aching from sleeping while sitting up. The Eastern sky was grey as dawn was close. Hera had gone off, clearly being a cat somewhere aboard the barge once she could no longer get a scratch while sitting on Kiki’s lap. Kiki couldn’t remember the dream, but it must have been bad. Throat felt raw and she felt grimy like she always did when she had been sweating through her clothes. The cold tea at least helped with her throat. That was when it occurred to her that she needed to talk to Berg. She had been a Nurse once upon a time and she might have insight into how Kiki might get out of the corner that she had painted herself into.

Last edited:
First off Kiki's cat Hera is doing her more help for Kiki then thought possible.
What is really needed is for Kiki to realize that she has no reason to feel guilty about the deaths of soldiers she tried to saved, and she should go and visit her "boys" in the various military hospitals and join in some of the group therapy sessions where she expresses her guilt, of course the other members will be very vocal about how Kiki shouldn't feel guilty about anything and that will also help them come to grips with their own experiences.
As for advancing in to medical school, Kiki should just pull out her "Princess Card" for once because she did earn her place and there is no reason to deny her chance to become a doctor.
Sorry about the rant because the author has made Kiki a little bit too real for me.

Assuming US fighter development stayed roughly on trajectory (and looking at the big players in the 50's, I can't see why they would have significantly altered course), we should have had supersonic fighters since around '55. Unless the Goshawk is a late Gen 1 or early Gen 2, a Pfeil sans afterburners (assuming similar mass to the OTL Arrow) wouldn't have any significant speed or climb advantage. Especially when missiles are in play.

For curiosity's sake, How much of the US jet industry received a bonus study from the Nazi industry in WW2?

Wikipedia does not tell me much and I am not so much an expert here...

ferdi254

Banned
And cats can be silly animals. I have been sleeping a couple of times at a friend of mine who had a cat. Stupid animal used to come to me and cuddle up when I got to bed. When the sun rose the same cat that lay snuggly with me the whole night meowed and scratched me.

And cats can be silly animals. I have been sleeping a couple of times at a friend of mine who had a cat. Stupid animal used to come to me and cuddle up when I got to bed. When the sun rose the same cat that lay snuggly with me the whole night meowed and scratched me.
Well, yeah. You should've known to bring food.

I had a cat that would come in to the living room while I was watching television and meow at me, then I would follow him in to my bedroom and it turned out that he wanted me to go to bed so that he could sleep on my bed with me and it became to be at a certain time everynight, when I told my parents about it they said that the cat trained me well.