Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

There are probably so many Fredenhal's and devotees of McNair clogging the works that the answer to your first question is "Probably not until well after the US advisors have sustained casaulty rates rivaling the OTL 8th air force.
In which case, odds are that some idiots in Langley will cook a Tonkin Gulf incident to justify the Americans propping up the Chinese lest Chiang falls.....and shit escalates in warfare.....

Not familiar with the exact term that much but am I guessing its like a shrapnel shell? Damn thats murderous though
Flechette it's specifically designed shrapnel in the form of small arrows/needles, and its antipersonal effect is simply beyond murderous.

Translated to a 406 mm round, more than likely while a single one may miss some targets, odds are that the KLM set up a firing solution where they saturate an specific zone, and between 9-18 rounds falling in the same zone..... The likely aftermath of it could be defined by the nickname of "Bratwurst filling"...

Flechette it's specifically designed shrapnel in the form of small arrows/needles, and its antipersonal effect is simply beyond murderous.

Translated to a 406 mm round, more than likely while a single one may miss some targets, odds are that the KLM set up a firing solution where they saturate an specific zone, and between 9-18 rounds falling in the same zone..... The likely aftermath of it could be defined by the nickname of "Bratwurst filling"...

In other words, there could be an upcoming ITTL propaganda movie based on a battle that US troops in theatre would almost certainly call 'Hamburger Ridge'. One that decries the barbarism of the enemy.

Flechette rounds are in a conical pattern like a shotgun shell. They are not like a shrapnel shell. They are designed to go off at a certain distance from the barrel or above the ground. Look up beehive rounds and the use in Vietnam and after.

I think that Parker will give a blistering report to Langley that will tear the hide off on the amount of corruption and incompetence that the Chinese are showing.
Parker needs to find someone who will listen to him and then expose the futility of what the Americans are trying to accomplish in China and the need to get rid of Chiang Kai-shek.

I wonder how long it'll take the Americans to notice that the Koreans are very much not welcoming them as liberators?
I very much doubt that people in the field don't know what the score is. Also, there aren't many GIs there. They mostly act as observers and advisers. Maybe a few pilots as well (pretty much like the Russians were rumored to do in the OTL Vietnam War) .

I think that Parker will give a blistering report to Langley that will tear the hide off on the amount of corruption and incompetence that the Chinese are showing.
Parker needs to find someone who will listen to him and then expose the futility of what the Americans are trying to accomplish in China and the need to get rid of Chiang Kai-shek.
The problem is that he already saw years before that there are figures in DC that are as wilfully blind to the true situation, focusing on the economic interests from China, and in a level as corrupt as the Chinese, but they hide it better.... And the problem is that these same figures are now in the circles of power, backing up Harriman......

I figure that whatever he writes down, will not be read out the way he has written it.

People above him will see what they want to see....

Ben might be shot down.
I wonder who would be on the SAR mission.

Unfortunately, it seems that the people who will listen are on the other side of the hill.

FBKampfer

Banned
Flechette rounds are in a conical pattern like a shotgun shell. They are not like a shrapnel shell. They are designed to go off at a certain distance from the barrel or above the ground. Look up beehive rounds and the use in Vietnam and after.

This would possibly make them even less effective out of a 16" shell. You can either cram longrods in there, or a fuck ton in triplex loading, but it's still only creating its singular beaten zone in the cone in front of the shell.

But with something that large, and flechettes that heavy, you might as well go with an anular loading, given that the timing still needs to be about as precise, and the ability to create a larger beaten zone.

Oh, and Gloria is going to be rather pissed and upset.

Gloria is someone who will listen to Parker and will deliver a damning account of the USA involvement in Korea. She has already shown us that she researches stories thoroughly. She has no love for government agencies after the CIA drugging.
Her involvement with Kat and going to Germany for the law suit might give the US government the ability to denounce her as anti-American, in which case she might be forced to follow Nancy's example and move away to somewhere safer and where her talents are appreciated. Germany.

ferdi254

Banned
This will end in a news war.

Government version:

Barbaric German empire killing one of our boys who was just helping the Chinese to get out of the colonial yoke.

Gloria‘s version:

Stupid government is helping China in a war of aggression against Korea for purely commercial reasons and gets one of our heroes killed.

Wonder how much the government will try to hide the fact that Johnny was killed on Korean soil.

I find it difficult to parse what's going through the mind (or lack thereof) of the US government at this point. I suspect they must think that Koreans are really Chinese and that Korea was split off from China by the Japanese and the Chiang is just trying to reunite the country. At this point, they better hope they never meet a real Korean, but it's about the only "logical" way they can justify themselves.

I am just assuming that the US Government are trying to portray the Chinese as being the heroes freeing the Koreans from under the yoke of the evil German colonialists.

The fact that this has about zero relation to the truth would not bother them, the difference to OTL is that there are other people willing and able to call them out on it (and be listened to)

I find it difficult to parse what's going through the mind (or lack thereof) of the US government at this point. I suspect they must think that Koreans are really Chinese and that Korea was split off from China by the Japanese and the Chiang is just trying to reunite the country. At this point, they better hope they never meet a real Korean, but it's about the only "logical" way they can justify themselves.

"They all look the same!"

Also dammit, not Jonny. Stupid Luck indeed.

The problem is that the Americans naively thought they were dealing with a rational person in Chiang Kai-shek and that they were going to sell a lot of the agricultural surplus that the United States had at the time along with other things like weapons and heavy equipment.
What the United States did not realize was how corrupt the Chinese government is and that in order to keep a lid on the domestic situation, Chiang Kai-shek manufactured a phony dispute with Korea because he thought it was a low risk high reward proposition and now it is biting him in the rear.
The United States can not be seen to abandon an ally at the drop of a hat, but at the same time it can't get drawn in a fight that will not end well for anybody so the United States should be quietly looking for a replacement for Chiang Kai-shek and get the Chinese out of Korea.
The only thing is that if it goes bad the Americans are going to find themselves in an OTL Ngo Dinh Diem situation and get caught in the middle of a new Chinese Civil War.