Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

With the situation in Britain, "Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines" will probably not be made and if "Zulu" exists, it will almost certainly be much inferior. That's more chilling than the fate of any would have been Nazi.

With the situation in Britain, "Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines" will probably not be made and if "Zulu" exists, it will almost certainly be much inferior. That's more chilling than the fate of any would have been Nazi.

I can see Zulu being an even bigger production and success than OTL. Given the current state of affairs in the Empire. Be a huge progaganda/PR coup. You know all stiff upper lip and beating the ghastly barbarians sort of thing.

I don't follow. I'm genuinely confused.

Near Gößweinstein, Rural Bavaria

Joseph Goebbels was busy at work when he noticed the silence. The noises of the train had stopped, no click of the rails, whistles or engine sounds. Over the last few weeks he’d been subject to the crudest insults and threats. He’d run that column of him explaining what can only be the logical truth about that little slattern. Then a story emerged that she’d spent all the money available to her to buy gifts for the soldiers of a frontline Regiment that had borne the brunt fighting over the autumn. His newspaper had been flooded with letters from the 140th “Souville” Regiment. Many had run in the Editorial Page including one that had been allegedly sent by the Oberst of the Regiment suggesting that he shove his column up the same place he has his head. Real clever.

Then Joseph’s wife had come home from shopping only to discover that two crutches had been nailed to the front door of his house. After things had died down a little he had gone to Munich to speak with the family that had told him that they had been dispossessed by Katherine Mischner only to discover that they had abruptly decided that a new start in Argentina was in their best interest. On the way back to Berlin he’d been engrossed in his work and failed to notice the silence and then the power shut off in his cabin. He poked his out into the narrow hallway, the conductor was gone. The train car was completely empty. It wasn’t until he reached the end of the car that he saw that the car was parked on a siding.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Otto Mischner might not always have been the greatest father to his children but he’d done his best to keep them safe. By some miracle that he couldn’t figure out they had both grown up into good people. Hans had emerged as a leader and hero, far braver than Otto had ever been. Kat was the sort who would throw herself into an active volcano if she thought she could make the world a better place that way. Now this newspaper columnist had crapped all over Kat because of his own petty reasons. That was totally unacceptable to Otto. As they had discovered when Soviet Agents started sniffing around Pankow-Heinersdorf examples needed made and convenient accidents were good for that.

Otto pulled a lever, opening up the throttle. As the Engine pulled away Otto saw Goebbels pounding on the window. That was a recent innovation. The glass was wire reinforced, tempered and safety coated. Very difficult to break.

This siding was kilometers from the nearest town and a winter storm was closing in. No food, water or heat. He wished that asshole luck.

“You see something? The fireman asked.

“Nope” Otto said “You?”

“Same here” The fireman said.

I don't follow. I'm genuinely confused.
it was from the first thread when after Kat came back from her SKA mission in the Ukraine, Joseph Goebbels ITTL an editor of a Right Wing newspaper ITTL started to write very salacious and libelous stories about Kat and her father Otto arraigned for Goebbels to be trapped in passenger rail car by himself on an isolated rail siding on the coldest night of the year to freeze to death hence "Popsicle Man".

I can see Zulu being an even bigger production and success than OTL. Given the current state of affairs in the Empire. Be a huge progaganda/PR coup. You know all stiff upper lip and beating the ghastly barbarians sort of thing.

One of the things that makes Zulu work as a film is the degree of sympathy and empathy that the Zulus get and the sense of mutual respect and honorable enemy. Without that, it'd be a much worse film and lose a lot of the depth. Imagine if they cut out the singing scene, made Pvt. Hook (correctly) upright and pious, and did not show the cost of the battle and infused the whole thing with a trumphant Ra-ra ethos. It may get a decent box-office, but it'd be a forgettable piece of extruded celluloid product.

An early appearance by Det. Columbia is quite interesting, the telemovie in this post was IOTL a play but ITTL it becomes a movie.
When Columbo became part of the NBC rotating Mysteries, the producers wanted Bing Crosby to play Colombo then went to Peter Falk after Crosby turned themm down.
So a butterfly in this case is not only does Bing Crosby plays Columbo his production company produces the series of movies, Der Bingle always knew how to make money, his company IOTL brought magnetic audio tape to the United States from Germany after WW II and later they developed the first video magnetic tape.
Sorry, but I cannot see any mention here that Bing played Columbo. Certainly they may have wanted him. But in OTL the stage play had Thomas Mitchell as Columbo. Why do you suggest Bing took the part in TTL movie?

It doesn’t say anything about Bing Crosby playing Columbo, what my point was that if ITTL Crosby played Columbo maybe his production company would have made it, IOTL Peter Falk was cast in the 1968 pilot movie, so an earlier telemovie could has casted Crosby.
This is just one of the many butterflies that this timeline has.

One of the things that makes Zulu work as a film is the degree of sympathy and empathy that the Zulus get and the sense of mutual respect and honorable enemy. Without that, it'd be a much worse film and lose a lot of the depth. Imagine if they cut out the singing scene, made Pvt. Hook (correctly) upright and pious, and did not show the cost of the battle and infused the whole thing with a trumphant Ra-ra ethos. It may get a decent box-office, but it'd be a forgettable piece of extruded celluloid product.
Probably a worse film overall, but better recieved in parts of the US and Great Britain.

It doesn’t say anything about Bing Crosby playing Columbo, what my point was that if ITTL Crosby played Columbo maybe his production company would have made it, IOTL Peter Falk was cast in the 1968 pilot movie, so an earlier telemovie could has casted Crosby.
This is just one of the many butterflies that this timeline has.
Sorry, I read it as a butterfly had actually happened with Bing playing the role ITTL, rather than could happen.