Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

In the last post it was because it was using an advanced version of the rocket used in the Panzerschreck.
The only thing an aircraft rocket is going to have in common with a Panzershereck is the caliber. The warhead is a crude design and you need alternate heads (HE, WP smoke, flare) anyways, the fuze would be replaced wholesale, and the motor is getting replaced with something vastly more powerful. The US experimented with an aircraft version of the M6 bazooka rocket OTL and cancelled the idea fast.

That said I'm impressed the Germans even have a non-WP smoke round for their rockets. The US tested a few colored smoke rounds (XM152 and XM153) in late Vietnam era OTL, but aside from that smoke rockets are always phosphorus-based.

I'm a rocket nerd, but I'll drop the subject.

“Cut them some slack” Emil said as they started walking towards one of the buildings, “Not everyone is as worldly as you, so try to be on your best behavior while we are here.”

“Why?” Zella asked, “It’s not like I’m coming back here.”

A succinct and concise encapsulation of why I hate tourists.

I'm a rocket nerd, but I'll drop the subject.
Unless @Peabody-Martini would prefer you to drop it, I'd rather you didn't. There are a number of things I love about this story, Peabody's writing obviously, his responsiveness to the contents of the replies, and the quality of the replies from people like you.
I find this stuff fascinating personally.

Without American participation IOTL WW II a lot of junior officers are not going to be able to show their competence and will not get promoted to higher ranks that will lead them in to getting spots like Superintendent of West Point and that is one of the reasons that the American Army ITTL is full of rot and deadwood.
The Mexican Intervention did allow for some to show that they are the future but it is going to be a long drawn out process, Omar Bradley is probably right now ITTL is the best person to change that and it begins at West Point.
The fact that Emil is considering a guest lecture position shows that leaders like Bradley is open to hearing new ideas from other people and that German-American relations are beginning to warm up a little.

Damn man, Bradley would be 67, should have reached retirement age by now....

Then again, a final posting at West Point would be a damn good send off regardless.

For what I know Omar Bradley wasn't very appreciated. In truth he was the very opposite of his character in Patton movie. But he was an adviser of the movie.

Aw, no stop over in Gary Indiana?

I kid, a nice tour, and Emil as a guest lecturer makes sense, after all they will want him at Sandhurst as well.

I was thinking about the different states of the officer corps of both Germany and the United States at this point ITTL, from Spain to Mexico Germany has been able to grow an officer Corp that is proven in various types of combat and in peacetime that is able to keep its edge, while the American Army would have continued to promote officers of the Lloyd Fredendall type because there was no way to expose their incompetence.
So having someone like Emil von Holz give instructions at West Point will only do good in training the next generation of American officers.

Part 90, Chapter 1397
Chapter One Thousand Three Hundred Ninety-Seven

31st August 1960

West Point, New York

“George is in California these days” Bradley said, “When he was put out to pasture, they sent him to the Veterans Home in a place called Yountville in the Napa Valley. He can talk about marching with the Roman Legions to his heart’s content out there and not only won’t he annoy anyone, he might actually finally find a receptive audience.”

Omar Bradley was talking about a man who had been his superior and subordinate at different times in his long career and then finally his predecessor as the Superintendent of West Point, George Patton. There was some debate about if the retired General was brilliant and eccentric or just plain nuts. His belief that he had be reincarnated again and again in order to fight in all the great wars throughout history. Needless to say, some of the things that he had said over the years had proven controversial and Patton’s stubborn nature wouldn’t allow him to admit that he had gotten anything wrong in his public pronouncements. It was hardly a surprise that the Policy Makers in Washington D.C. would want him as far away as possible.

Bradley himself could have retired a few years earlier, but he had accepted this appointment as a chance to finish his career in the same place where he had started it decades earlier. When he had learned that Emil was planning on traveling around the world, Bradley had invited Emil to visit West Point. However, Emil got the impression that Bradley had never thought that he would accept it and Zella was a wrinkle that few could have anticipated. The problem was that only Emil knew what she was doing, and he really wished that she would cut it out already.

“That seems harmless enough” Emil replied, “Though it is bit of a shame, Horst said that he and Sjostedt encountered Patton in France just after the Battle of Ussy. Hiding in a ruined building. They didn’t have time to take him prisoner, so they told him to wait till dark and follow the river back to where your Army held a crossing.”

“It’s hardly a surprise that George never told that story. Still, he and Walter Horst sharing the same air?” Bradley remarked, “Those two monstrous egos in one spot, I’m surprised that there wasn’t a massive explosion along the lines of the Mont-Blanc.”

That had been a relatively small incident, overshadowed by the conclusion of the war just a few weeks earlier, but it had loomed large in the history of Saint-Nazaire. The SS Mont-Blanc sitting in the harbor during the winter of 1917, her hold stuffed with explosives that the French Government had forgotten about because the war had ended. No one had ever been able to figure out the cause, but the ship had exploded while tied up to the pier and it had taken a substantial portion of the city out with it in the largest manmade explosion up to that point. It was just one more calamity in France during those years.

“Fortunate for them, Horst had Sjostedt with him” Emil said, “Blessed are the peacemakers and all that.”

“Just who is this Sjostedt?” Bradley asked.

“He was a Feldwebel, er… Sergeant back then” Emil replied, “These days he’s a Bishop in the Lutheran Church.”

Bradley found that amusing. Emil’s eyes darted to Zella to see what she was doing.

There were times when Emil was reminded that while Zella was his daughter, she had every bit of Maria’s intelligence. She didn’t really want to be here and the Cadets that attended West Point were as a whole, simple not the sort of men she was interested in. Sure, she was acting the role of the perfectly respectable Lady visiting the Military Academy. She was also feigning an inability to speak English so that she wouldn’t have to engage in conversation with any of them. And those who attempted to speak to her in German got an abrupt lesson in the Berliner dialect that anyone who had never lived in that city would find difficult to understand. Zella had maintained only a vague smile on her face for the entire meal, but Emil knew that she was laughing inside at the looks of frustration that were evident on the faces of the young men

“Your daughter will be fine” Bradley said, “Those boys understand what you will do to them if they are not perfect gentlemen. With me helping out, of course.”

“That isn’t the problem” Emil said, “I know that Zella can take care of herself. It’s just that she is having a great deal of fun at their expense.”

Bradley looked at what was happening and looked back with a quizzical look on his face.

“I don’t see it” Bradley said, “Sure, there is a bit of a language barrier, but that is what happens when you have guests from foreign countries.”

“Zella spent the first four years of her life in Australia and has traveled widely in the years since” Emil replied, “She probably speaks English better than they do and she is pretending not to because she doesn’t want to talk to them.”

Bradley found that hilarious. “Then those boys are going to be getting a bigger lesson out of this then they ever imagined.”

“Excuse me?” Emil asked.

“It’s the stupid arrogance that I’ve been trying to beat out of them” Bradley said, “The idea that people from other countries might have their own agenda never seems to enter their thinking. With that bunch, learning the hard way that a pretty girl doesn’t consider them to be the cat’s meow is a harmless way for them to learn it.”

That was certainly one way to look at it.

Last edited:
It looks like Zella is up to her old tricks again, she did the same thing to Nancy’s mother when she visited Germany.

As I think about it, Zella probably wants to go to Harlem and see a Rock and Roll show at the Apollo Theatre.

I think that would be an education for Zella and the other people at the show.

Zella: wait, what? People are routinely stopped and threatened by the Police just because they're black? Did I step back into medieval times or something?

Black person at the show: wait, what? Whitey comes in here and doesn't act like an entitled, arrogant POS? Oh right, she's from Germany. You mean we wouldn't get treated like runaway slaves over there just for breathing? How does that work?

And we thought Gia would cause an upset teaching women that could be something other than meek doormats...