Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

"Nancy had been looking forward to seeing Erik and Karl cowering in fear when they realized they had infuriated the wrong woman and Kat wouldn’t satisfied with merely having them thrown out of the house."

Those two boys dodged an armor piercing bullet there and they haven't got a clue...

"Nancy had been looking forward to seeing Erik and Karl cowering in fear when they realized they had infuriated the wrong woman and Kat wouldn’t satisfied with merely having them thrown out of the house."

Those two boys dodged an armor piercing bullet there and they haven't got a clue...
Armour Piercing Fin Stabilised Discarding Sabot bullets, but if it missed you might never even realise...

I was disappointed that Kat and her family including Kiki did not go to Nancy's for Thanksgiving, I wanted to see what the reaction of Kiki was to a couple of "Bad Boys in Uniform".
With Kiki in her fragile emotional state, she was either going to fall for one of them or show off her training that she has gotten from Kat.

Armour Piercing Fin Stabilised Discarding Sabot bullets, but if it missed you might never even realise...
They missed Thanksgiving's Bullet.

.... But Kat did say that she will come in Christmas.... That mean Kat and her extended family coming... So they may have missed a bullet.... And are walking straight into an Artillery target... And a whole division it's aiming for the poor sods.....

And the MOST amusing? Kat may punish them later... How it would sound her deciding to aid Tilo in shape the sorry current lot of Marines under an special training session.... SKA training routine.....

I can imagine that Tilo its inwardly giggling to his poor nephews ...They won't die..... But they will be seriously contemplating go to prison after Kat it's halfway done with the duo... For not talk of the rest of the unit.

To this date, how big is Katherine's legend in Germany and among the Armed Forces?

Last edited:
He never said Audie Murphy was in this TL, he was saying its an OTL example to look at in comparison to Kat....
I meant that as one of the many butterflies ITTL there won't be the cultural impact that Audie Murphy had IOTL, not as a correction to Holyknight but as an observation on the many ironic things that is going on ITTL.
Of course Peabody-Martini might want to throw in one of his patented cameos

I meant that as one of the many butterflies ITTL there won't be the cultural impact that Audie Murphy had IOTL, not as a correction to Holyknight but as an observation on the many ironic things that is going on ITTL.
Of course Peabody-Martini might want to throw in one of his patented cameos

The only alternative position for Audie Murphy is to take over Reagan's OTL future in this ATL. Be kinda cool.

Somehow I think that Thanksgiving in Germany will catch on over the years as a celebration of family and friends.

Harvest festivals are done all over the world, it could easily catch on in that respect

The thing of course is that Germany already has one of those Harvest festivals. The Erntedankfest (harvest-tahnks-festival) is celebrated in Germany on the first Sunday in October (Or the first Sunday after Michaelmas on the 29th of September, it wasn't really standardized until the Nazi regime and might be either rule in this timeline.)

Having two harvest festivals would seem a bit redundant especially with the US one being far too late in the year to have any connection to actual harvest for most crops harvested in Germany. The date which is neither fixed on certain calendar date nor fixed on a Sunday or connected to the church calender would hinder adoption.

If it were to be adopted it would like undergo some serious changes. De-emphasizing the connection to harvest, scaling things down so that it can be done on a normal weekday after work.

The whole family getting back together aspect also would not be quite as big as people tend to not move away from their families as much in Germany as they do in the US, but it might be adopted for that as people gain greater mobility (even if that would likely need to push things to the next weekend instead).

Maybe a focus on some other American cultural aspects could help popularize it, like that whole native Americans helping the European colonists, Germans had a fond if overly romanticized and unrealistic image of 'Indians' since Karl May.

Part 82, Chapter 1254
Chapter One Thousand Two Hundred Fifty-Four

2nd December 1957

Cam Ranh, Vietnam

As much as Albrecht was going to miss Ilse when she left to return to Berlin, he had realized that she needed to go before her health further deteriorated and had made the arrangements for her to go. She had taken a sabbatical from her position at the University of Berlin and had come to Cam Ranh just to be with him. It was something that he felt a stab of guilt over with every new illness she seemed to get. In the first weeks after their arrival she had been stricken with malaria. That had been followed later by a different fever a month later that had left her feeling faint and badly dehydrated. She had also been rapidly losing weight, which wasn’t good. The Doctors had said that it was because her body was having trouble adjusting to the tropical heat and humidity. The best thing for her would be spend time in an airconditioned building until she could be sent home.

The whole time that this was going on Ilse had not complained. That was something that Albrecht had noticed about her, Ilse tended to just accept things the way they were no matter how unacceptable her situation was. It might have been something she had learned to do as a survival mechanism early on, but in Vietnam it was clearly working against her.

“Your sister is expecting you” Albrecht said as he helped her up the stairs onto the airplane.

“I’m so sorry Bert” Ilse said, “None of this turned out the way it was supposed to.”

“Stop apologizing” Albrecht replied, “I wouldn’t be any happier watching you kill yourself as opposed to going home. Besides that, I’ll be following you in a few months.”

“You promise?” Ilse asked with a smile as they found her seat.

“Yeah, I promise” Albrecht replied before he kissed Ilse on the forehead and whispered, “I love you.” He couldn’t help but noticing that she was feverish even then.

On the way out of the cabin, Albrecht had a quick word with the Steward who recognized who he was. Basically, he had made very clear that he wanted Ilse taken care of during the flight.

A day later, Albrecht was still smarting about how things had worked out. Worse, only hours after he had put Ilse on the plane, Walther von Braun made an announcement that also made Albrecht into a liar. The Atgeir Project was being scrapped in favor of the new Dioscuri Project. Albrecht was being asked to stay on in Vietnam until the end of the next launch cycle, several months longer than originally planned. Even as tolerant as Ilse had been of his career, he couldn’t imagine that she would be happy with this turn of events.

Moscow, Russia

Decent food, terrible company.

That was the conclusion that Gia reached as sat at the table with her cousin and his wife. Like always, the subject had turned to Gia’s rejection of the latest round of suitors.

“What can I say?” Gia asked, “You have terrible taste in men Georgy, it’s something that I have trouble getting past.”

Gia heard Lidiya snicker over that.

“You and Fyodor are possibly the only two people in all of Russia who can get away with telling me that joke” Georgy replied.

“It is not that you have terrible taste George” Lidiya said, “It’s just that the sort of educated, articulate men that Sasha is attracted to are rather thin on the ground in this country.”

That caused Georgy to glower at his plate.

“That Georgian bastard was chucked into the crematorium more than a decade ago and he’s still causing me grief” Georgy muttered, “He is like syphilis, the gift that just keeps on giving.”

Gia knew who the “Georgian bastard” her cousin was talking about was. From what she had observed, the damage that Joseph Stalin had done to certain sectors of the economy and the Universities were going to take decades to repair. In his displeasure over that Georgy had proposed that the 18th of December be declared a national holiday so the Russian people could properly express their regard for Stalin’s memory. Over the last couple years that had taken the form of getting drunk and burning an effigy of the late despot unofficially. Earlier this year Georgy asked the Duma to make it official. Normally, that legislative body was like herding cats, with debate over minor matters frequently stretching out for weeks. It had taken them three hours to pass the law giving the holiday the official stamp of approval.

This year there were several large papier-mâché likenesses of Stalin and his deputies that were going to be put to the torch in Red Square. Similar events were planned in every corner of Russia. It was said that the vodka distilleries were gearing up because they actually expected to run out of product. Gia had also heard many terms used to describe Stalin. This was the first time she had heard syphilis used, it was however a perfectly appropriate description of Georgy’s situation.

“Do you need to use a term like that George?” Lidiya asked.

“No” Georgy replied, “But when describing that man, I find that no terms can be too vulgar.”

“I am agreeing with Georgy on this one” Gia said, “Not something I do often.”

Last edited:
Maybe a focus on some other American cultural aspects could help popularize it
What that could be is the start of the Christmas season with Black Friday sales the next day.
Another thing to have on that day would be having Football games between crosstown and regional rivals such as Hertha BSC and Berlin Union.

So Russia now has its own Guy Fawkes tradition. One can only imagine how that will eventually evolve over decades into the future once younger people with no first hand experience of the regime start celebrating its end.

Also: Dioscuri is the name used to refer to the twins Castor and Pollux who are also simply referred to be the Latin word for twins: Gemini.

If Karl and Erik did something at this point to upset Kiki they would find themselves in a hole so deep and dark Satan himself wouldn't be able to find the bottom of it. Where they could reminisce about the good old days when they were allowed to scrub the latrines with a toothbrush.

If Karl and Erik did something at this point to upset Kiki they would find themselves in a hole so deep and dark Satan himself wouldn't be able to find the bottom of it. Where they could reminisce about the good old days when they were allowed to scrub the latrines with a toothbrush.

How would they get posted to Cleveland?

Part 82, Chapter 1255
Chapter One Thousand Two Hundred Fifty-Five

12th December 1957

Mitte, Berlin

Emil remembered how this event had been a raucous affair in the twenties and thirties. One giant party and everyone was invited. Things were certainly very different now. The parade had been cancelled again and again due to economic crisis, war, then another war and finally another economic crisis. When they had finally gotten around to organizing a new celebration the sharply reduced numbers were noticeable. That had definitely caused things to be muted. This year was no different.

The day itself certainly lent itself to a somber occasion, cold drizzle with it not quite cold enough to snow. Emil was one of thousands who were in this march that was making its way down the wide boulevard that ran through central Mitte from the river towards Brandenburg Gate. Their numbers had been added to with the addition of those who had fought in the Soviet War and the Pacific. There were some quibbles about those who had been in South Africa and Mexico. Emil was perfectly happy to welcome them, they had earned their place here.

“Markgraf von Holz?” Emil heard voice ask. He saw a large camera pointed at him alongside a woman with a microphone who had shouted the question when they had spotted him in the parade. “Can I ask a question?”

Emil just shrugged. Maria would have his hide if she found out he had snubbed the press and she had enough on her plate these days with Zella being a pill.

“In your opinion, what is the best way that we could honor veterans?” The woman asked before she held out the microphone for Emil.

“By not creating any new ones” Emil replied before he resumed walking. He heard the reporter shouting additional questions at him and he ignored her. Emil had said all he needed to say.

----------------------------------------------------------------

“What is your choice going to be?” Vicky asked mildly, “In or out?”

Rosa gave her a dirty look, even as Rea kept her silence. Rea had been against them including Rosa in this latest caper, but over the prior months they had discovered the limits of their abilities and their usual partners in crime were simply unavailable because they were doing it at their Gymnasia. Kiki might have been able to help, but their older sister tended to ask far too many questions these days. Living with Katherine had that unfortunate affect on her. Kiki just wouldn’t just take things at face value these days. Nor did she put a whole lot of trust in them, much to Vickie and Rea’s annoyance.

They had discovered the hard way that Aunt Cecilie was far less tolerant of their games then their mother ever was. Enlisting the help of Rosa had shown just how far the fortunes of the twins had fallen since they had lost their mother. Rosa was the daughter of the ruling family on an Island in the Carolines and it had been assumed that she would be friends with Vicky and Rea. So far, it had been a relationship of convenience at best for Rosa and the twins.

“I’m in” Rosa said, “But you have no right to give me an ultimatum like that.”

“We don’t owe you anything” Vicky stated.

Rea nodded. Whatever disagreements that she might have had with Vicky, Rea knew the importance of keeping a united front.

Tempelhof, Berlin

For the last week and a half since Ilse had come back from Vietnam there had been a fair amount of tension between her and Kat. Doug knew that Ilse’s health had always been fragile, just now that had become a real issue with Kat. Kat wanted Ilse to take care of herself and Ilse wanted her sister to mind her own business.

When Ilse had gotten off the plane she had been sick, and had taken a few days to start to be on the mend. Kat had offered to call a Doctor for her, Ilse had given her a flat no. She had been seen by several Doctors in Cam Ranh and knew what any Physician that Kat might call would say. That Ilse needed to rest and wait until she got better. The exact same thing that she had been told before. Kat had confided in Doug that she felt that Ilse was being neglectful, and Doug had once again been forced to tell his wife that she shouldn’t be trying to save everyone. Ilse was a grown up and she could make her own decisions.

Now Ilse was getting ready to go back to the University. The Environmental Sciences Department was pleased to be getting her back months earlier than they had thought they would. She said that she had to go to work, otherwise she would sit at home and imagine wringing Albrecht’s neck. The day after Ilse arrived from Vietnam she had gotten a telegram from her husband telling her that he had learned in changes to the various projects within the Space Program. Those changes would keep him in Cam Ranh until at least next August. To avoid dwelling on that, Ilse was preparing the lectures she was going to give about her findings on the effects of industrial pollution. Doug wished her well and was thankful that Kiki was somewhat of a distraction for Kat, otherwise he would have been stuck in between an argument between the two strong willed and stubborn Mischner sisters. Not a comfortable position to be in.

Last edited:
In our mini discussion of holidays, I can see the danger of the Russian celebration becoming an excuse for anti Semitic violence that is unofficially condone by the Church and State.
Just as IOTL Armistice Day in the United States became Veterans Day, I can see the same thing happening in Germany, also I think that the 12th of December will not be a holiday in the United States but more of a remembrance of the fallen.
As for Thanksgiving in Germany, it will be first reported as something that American expatriates do to maintain some connection with back home and with the increase of immigrants from other countries Thanksgiving will be seen as a coming together to share their traditional foods with others.
Thanksgiving in later years will be used in Germany by advertisers as way to kick off the Christmas shopping season.

It was Micheal who is going to be king of Bohemia, right? Is he still being trained by Kurt?

Also, I'm curious as to what Vicky and Rea are up to with Rosa. Looking forward to the results!

Shouldn't the second Rea be Rosa?
Chapter One Thousand Two Hundred Fifty-Five
Rea had been against them including Rea in this latest caper, but over the prior months they had discovered the limits of their abilities and their usual partners in crime were simply unavailable because they were doing it at their Gymnasia.

Lastly, what are the odds of Ilse being pregnant going to be? Maybe I'm reading too much into it. But it seemed to me that she might be pregnant and not realize it due to her illness.