Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

Can someone remind me how the Germans used nerve gas on the Japanese.
This TL is so long I am forgetting details and do not want to re-read it.

Can someone remind me how the Germans used nerve gas on the Japanese.
This TL is so long I am forgetting details and do not want to re-read it.

1st October 1945

Sea of Japan/Kure Shipyards, Japan

What became known as the Night of Whispers started with a roar as the twenty-five Aggregat 8 rockets lifted off their pads just after sunset. Two of them failed to launch properly and were detonated in place, three had guidance failure and had similar fates. The remaining twenty accelerated as they climbed over the Sea of Japan. Fishermen off the coast of the Shimane Prefecture reported an orange glow in the sky but that was already too late. Minutes later the first rocket fitted with a thermobaric charge detonated over the Kure Naval Shipyard, the shipyard and city were rocked by massive explosions as the rockets bracketed the valley and bay. Most of the buildings were leveled in seconds and fire raced through the city.

In the following hours aid from the nearby city of Hiroshima to help fight the fires. As it turned out, that was a trap. An additional fifteen rockets, these ones with special warheads that relied to changes of barometric pressure to force the two chemicals that made up their payload together. They detonated two hundred meters over Kure. The people leading the relief effort couldn’t believe their good fortune believing that the attack had missed. They shouldn’t have. Unseen in the night a cloud of sarin gas descended on Kure. Minutes later all communications in and out of Kure ceased. The fires burned out of control.

interesting Kiki now has a pistol, on the assumption that if Suga was observant enough to relies that Kiki had palmed something from Taichi then it is a reasonable assumption that one of Suga's security detail was equally alert. So what happens now?

interesting Kiki now has a pistol, on the assumption that if Suga was observant enough to relies that Kiki had palmed something from Taichi then it is a reasonable assumption that one of Suga's security detail was equally alert. So what happens now?
You would certainly hope they were.
If not, if Kiki or Suga reveals this to mistress Natsumi, someone will be expected to fall upon their sword for such a fundamental failure.

The actions that Princess Kristina took in helping the unfortunate victim of the Kura attack is going to be front page news around the world and will set off a new debate about the attacks themselves with short shift given to the reasons for the attack in the first place.
On a personal note for Kiki the publicly of her wanting to join the Joint Medical Service and the selfless action she took will boost the standing of the German Imperial Family in the eyes of the world and there will be praise for Louis Ferdinand and Kira for raising children who put others first instead of themselves.
As for the firearm, the Chekhov rule applies, show a gun in the first act and it must go off in the third act.

If they realize what and why she did what she did, they might just go along with it. The whole business about saving face and everyone pretending not to know what they know and stuff seems just Japanese enough.

The attacker may be released with a gentle and subtle warning and have an eye kept on them, but officially the official story will stand.

The interesting bit will be what they do about the gun that isn't there. Help get rid of it or help the princess have access to the tools to maintain and clean it?

Part 79, Chapter 1192
Chapter One Thousand One Hundred Ninety-Two

10th August 1956

Kyoto, Japan

“You probably saved that man's life a couple times over” Mistress Natsumi said, “Even though it is something that you shouldn’t have done.”

As always, Kiki found Mistress Natsumi impossible to read. Any other adult would have panicked upon seeing the Russian made revolver that was on the low table that sat between them. One of the Natsumi’s men had caught a glimpse of Kiki shoving it into her purse.

“It seems to me that saving a life is something that I’m obligated to do” Kiki replied.

“You are not a Doctor yet, Kristina” Natsumi replied, “Your only obligation is to your personal safety.”

“I saw to that too” Kiki said, “I also saw a man who needed help and I gave it to him.”

“That sort of arrogance gets young ladies killed” Natsumi said, “And just what did you intend to do with that?”

Natsumi was clearly referring to the revolver. Kiki just shrugged, she hadn’t thought that far ahead.

“You also put my people in a precarious position” Natsumi said, “I personally don’t believe in finger shortening but this is exactly the situation where it would be called for.”

Kiki gulped, that was dark. She had heard of the ritual atonement practiced in some seamier sectors of Japanese society. She had not been expecting Natsumi to bring it up. The work that Natsumi did required that she and her people remain invisible. An act of contrition that anyone could see was the exact opposite of that.

“I’m terribly sorry” Kiki replied, “That wasn’t my intention.”

“You need to leave matters to the professionals in the future” Natsumi said.

“Yes, Ma’am” Kiki replied.

Even as Kiki said that Natsumi was perfectly aware that as sincere as she was trying to be, she was all too likely to forget that the instant some sort of crisis presented itself.

“How are you doing personally?” Natsumi asked, “Adjusting to how different it is here?”

“I’m trying” Kiki replied, “Some things are easier than others.”

“I understand” Natsumi said, “Try doing getting to know a new culture full of crazy foreigners when you are my age.”

That got a bit of a laugh from Kiki. Natsumi was aware of how strange Japan was to a complete outsider, especially a westerner who stood out wherever she was. She had spent the last month giving Kiki space to learn the language, customs and be a friend to Suga. That last part was something that Natsumi figured was good for both girls. It had also given Natsumi time to have Kiki carefully watched so that she could get a feel for her and her character. The palace attendants had plenty to say as it turned out.

Kiki tried to be respectful, she didn’t treat people like furniture. At the same time, there were unsettling hints that Kiki didn’t exactly hold herself in great esteem, that was probably due to her age. The issues of her being self-conscious depending on the circumstances. Again, that was probably because of her age. It was a touch amusing, how that conflicted with some of the Japanese culture. Natsumi had seen Kiki in the baths, keeping as much of herself underwater as she could. It wasn’t as if the girl had a whole lot to hide. Natsumi knew she needed to think of something else, the last thing she needed was Kiki to get the idea that she was being laughed at.

“It’s been arranged for you to resume your education” Natsumi said, “You will be expected to show the same dedication that you did at your gymnasia. I’ve also arranged a few other things that you will find challenging.”

Kiki actually seemed happy with that development.

“What about…?” Kiki asked. It was obvious what she was getting at.

“I will have this disposed of” Natsumi replied as she took the revolver off the table.

They really needed to find out where the grey man had gotten this from. Though Natsumi doubted that they would learn much if they tried. It was difficult to get leverage over people who had nothing to lose.

Berlin

Kat was laying on her bed staring at the ceiling. She had wanted to be alone so that she could ride out her black mood in peace, but she had woken up to find that Tatiana had crawled into bed with her. In the past week Kat had finally made certain that she would have no more surprises as far as her reproductive health was concerned. When she had discussed this matter with Douglas, he had tried to suggest several alternatives, but she had made up her mind on the course of action while she was still carrying Marie. She’d had her tubes tied and was still recovering from that surgery.

Doctor Holz had said that what she was feeling was perfectly normal. Despite the fact that she had three children and didn’t want any more, she still was reeling from the aspect of having closed that door forever. Like in the past, Kat had gotten depressed when she was feeling conflicting emotions. The very old battle of her head versus heart again. This afternoon she had woken up after sleeping most of the morning to find Tatiana with her.

“Thank you, Tat” Kat whispered, she kissed the top of her daughter’s head and Tatiana hugged her. She knew that Tat was just trying to help and it did work to a degree.

Last edited:
About the Night of Whispers:

The attack destroyed Kure and @Peabody-Martini has stated that the city was decontaminated and rebuilt. It might be interesting from a story perspective for a section to be left as it was after the attack, like a TTL version of the OTL Peace Dome .

Personal note: I've visited Hiroshima and seen the Dome, plus we discovered the Yamato Museum

Last edited:
I really hope Kiki builds some self-confidence from Natsumi. If she does, she might end up being more like Dr. Berg than she'd like.

Is there also an update coming on how Gia(& maybe Anya) see the advances of Fyodr? Is she still being a wishy-washy or has she already decided for herself what she wants in life?

Im also looking very much forward to seeing Mal & Tat being a bit more grown up. More specifically, how they will be mentored and what kind of situations they might find themselves in.

Lastly, I'm still looking forward to new updates. There is no better TL at the moment.

One of the things I have noticed is there is a need for a Press Office for the Imperial Family, this so that the Family had more control over information that the public is getting.
The Press Office will be able to shut down unfounded gossip and be able to present the Family in the best possible light.
Kat and Gia with their earlier trying as journalists should understand the need for this along with Nancy in her current career in marketing.

Part 79, Chapter 1193
Chapter One Thousand One Hundred Ninety-Three

17th August 1956

Kyoto, Japan

She had heard that the plum orchard was beautiful in the springtime when the trees were in bloom. The trees were beautiful even in the summertime, the gnarled, moss covered trunks spoke to the great age of this place. It was a nice addition to the atmosphere of peace that Kiki was certain had fallen over the estate since the Japanese Imperial Capital had been moved to Tokyo.

As Kiki walked down the path with the smell of ripening plums filling the air and she felt slightly ridiculous in her present attire. It had been Suga’s idea, having her wear traditional Japanese attire. The kimono seemed like too much to accept as a gift a few weeks earlier when Suga had it delivered to her room in the guest house. With the rich blue silk with pink flowers seemed like it was a work of art but Suga said that it was for casual wear. She had also said that the colors were perfect for Kiki.

“This feels strange” Kiki said, “Completely unlike me.”

It had taken Suga’s servants a considerable amount of time to get her dressed. By the time they were done Kiki had hardly recognized herself in the mirror, even the glasses were unfamiliar because she had gotten a new pair made because it had been suggested that the old ones didn’t suit her. Then Suga wanted to take a walk before they had afternoon tea.

“It is like you if you want it to be” Suga replied, “Ever thought of that?”

It was something that Kiki had never thought about.

“That sounds like something Aurora might say” Kiki said.

“You mean Aurora Taro?” Suga asked, “I saw your letters when you were getting dressed.”

A large stack of letters from friends and family had arrived a few days earlier. Kiki had left them out on her desk.

“Yes” Kiki replied.

“Your friend is Japanese?” Suga asked and Kiki nearly burst out laughing.

“Oh, no” Kiki replied, “Her mother adopted that name professionally years ago and Aurora uses it. Her real name Aurora Friedmann-Pohorylle.”

“I think I can understand her motivations” Suga said, “Besides that, who wouldn’t prefer to be Japanese given a choice?”

Kiki didn’t reply to that. There were times when she knew that Suga was poking fun at her, this was one of those times.

Wunsdorf-Zossen

Normally Stefan was content to let Jost do as he pleased within the Company, it certainly made his life easier. Today though, the Staber had been going over the line into abusive conduct and Stefan wasn’t in the mood to listen to the complaining that was going to inevitably result. The evening before he had met with General Horst who had explained to him apologetically that Nizhoni was his truly his daughter and that Stefan had done well to stick with her for as long as he had, but now that they had reached an impasse. She was either going to marry him or finally dump him. Horst had also warned him that trying to talk Nizzi into doing anything would be a bad call. It would only cause her to dig in her heels and do whatever she wanted anyway. Stefan had to wait for her to make up her own mind.

Finding out Jost’s reasons didn’t make things any better.

“You are upset because the writer and director of your favorite horror movies has died” Stefan said, “And you’ve been taking it out on the men.”

“You make it sound like it’s unimportant” Jost replied, “Béla Blaskó made some best horror movies ever made and he was an actor too. Haven’t you seen the Werewolf?”

Stefan was a bit surprised that Jost was so strident about horror movies of all things. Béla Blaskó had made mostly low budget horror movies in Vienna and his native Hungary. Even in the last decade as Babelsberg studios had offered him more money Blaskó had preferred to operate the same way he had over the previous decades.

“I saw that film years ago” Stefan replied, wondering what the big deal was.

“Then you have to understand how great it was” Jost said, “Me and Pops, we saw every weekend during its first run. It scared the Hell out of me.”

“And you kept going back?”

“It was the best sort of scared” Jost said, “Not like Katyusha rockets where you sit there and piss yourself because your number might be up. It is about fear of the shadows, the unknown.”

“I see” Stefan said, though he didn’t. “I won’t tell you to give the men any slack, but ease up a bit, play with their heads for a while.”

Jost seemed amused by that, Stefan had just ordered him to do something that he probably would have done anyway.

Chicago, Illinois

The convention had turned out to be every bit of the shit show that Truman had feared that it would become. After multiple ballots and a bruising floor fight the Democratic Party had a Presidential candidate, New York Governor W. Averell Harriman. Stevenson and Johnson had managed to cancel each other out, Harriman had emerged as a consensus candidate. As if being the one that the various factions of the Party hated the least was a ringing endorsement. Right now, Harry Truman figured that was probably the best they were going to get. He was just happy that the convention was drawing to a close without anyone staging a walkout in front of the entire Press Corps. That had been the threat which had been thrown about.

Last edited:
Chicago, Illinois

The convention had turned out to be every bit of the shit show that Truman had feared that it would become. After multiple ballots and a bruising floor fight the Democratic Party had a Presidential candidate, New York Governor W. Averell Harriman. Stevenson and Johnson had managed to cancel each other out, Harriman had emerged as a consensus candidate. As if being the one that the various factions of the Party hated the least was a ringing endorsement. Right now, Harry Truman figured that was probably the best they were going to get. He was just happy that the convention was drawing to a close without anyone staging a walkout in front of the entire Press Corps. That had been the threat which had been thrown about.

Bah! if truly a "consensus candidate" you should have tried giving Truman a third term. :p

1949-1961 seems like a good set of years for Truman. ;)