Striving for a world transformed by justice and peace - a TL from 1827

David Pritchard was a partner in the firm of Howell and Pritchard. He was thirty-six years old and his wife Anne was thirty-two years old. They had four children - a boy aged thirteen, and three girls aged eleven, eight and six. Some three years previously their three week old son died and they decided not to have any more children. They lived a few minutes walk away from Rhiannon and John Davies in the middle class Swansea district of Sketty. The two families were acquaintances rather than friends.

The Pritchards lived in a five bedroom house with kitchen, living room, scullery and bathroom. Outside there was a small paved area at the front and a good size back garden. They employed a maid of all work, who did not live in. Unlike other middle class couples they did not employ a cook, partly to save money and also because Anne Pritchard enjoyed cooking.

The following people were at the meeting in the spacious living room of the Pritchard's house in the afternoon of Sunday 23 February 1873 [in alphabetical order of surname]:
John Davies, Aneurin Griffiths, Angharad Griffiths, Maire Griffiths, Megan Griffiths, Esther Jenkins [Megan's girlfriend], Caitlin O'Brien [Maire's fifteen year old sister], Helen Price, Nia Price, Tom Price, Anna Pritchard, David Pritchard, Hannah Roberts [Maire's friend], Benjamin Williams. Nia and Tom had brought their daughter Myfanwy, whose fifth birthday was on 26 February and their sixteen-month old son Aled. With Hannah was her son Elwyn, who was about eleven weeks old. Aled and Eled stayed with their parents, but Myfanwy was told to play with the Pritchard children.

Last edited:
Rhiannon Davies was not at the meeting because she was not well enough to come as she was having a difficult pregnancy, so she stayed at home with her daughter, Catrin, who was twenty-three months old. She was in the sixth month of her pregnancy. Maire was about four months pregnant, while Nia was in the ninth week of her pregnancy.

Last edited:
Anne Pritchard was a natural manager. If she had been living now she would be a manager in the public sector or in a non-governmental organisation. So she took control of the meeting and asked everyone to introduce themselves, which they did though most of had known one another for several years. After the introductions Anne asked if anyone would like to take the minutes. After a very long silence which seemed to last for several minutes, Anne reluctantly offered to take them herself. She had provided pencils and paper for such a purpose. Then she said that the purpose of the meeting was to discuss ways to campaign for the repeal of Clause 61 of the Offences Against the Persons Act 1861, under which Roderick, her youngest brother, was sentenced to ten years penal servitude for buggery.

Last edited:
Helen asked what would be a proper word for people like Roderick. Benjamin Williams suggested 'homophile' which he said is a combination of the ancient Greek words 'homos', the same, and 'philia' love. Nia asked if homophile was a polite word for men who bugger other men. Maire said she liked the word homophile. Men who were homophiles didn't only have a physical relationship with other men, but loved them like other men love women. The love between men or between women was as good as between men and women.

After further discussion everyone agreed to the term homophile, though only because no one could think of a better word.

Last edited:
Anne Pritchard asked Benjamin Williams what were the chances of Parliament repealing Section 61 of the Offences Against the Persons Act 1861. He said there was none. Just possibly after the next general election in two to three years time when a new House of Commons is elected. But now with the government would not allow time for a repeal bill with its legislative programme crammed full, even if it did there it was unlikely there was a majority in the House of Commons for one.

Angharad Griffiths said they must work to change public opinion regarding homophiles. She proposed they form a society for that purpose. Anne asked if anyone had any ideas for names. John Davies suggested the Society For the Benefit of Homophile Men. Maire Griffiths said the name was too long, also no one knew who homophiles were. She suggested Dignity to express its essential purpose which was to give homophiles dignity, in their own eyes and those of other people.

Most of the others agreed to Maire's suggestion of the name Dignity, except for Nia and Tom Price.

'There is nothing dignified in what so called homophiles do to one another, sticking their cocks up each others arse holes', said Tom.

'I agree with Tom', said Nia. 'It is disgusting, unnnatural and sinful and we won't have anything to do with your society.

'Nia, Helen and I are physically intimate in bed together, is what we do disgusting, unnatural and sinful?' Angharad asked her daughter.

'No Ma, I don't. But it is different with men.'

'Nia and Tom, do you think that men convicted of buggery should be sent to prison?' Maire asked.

After about half a minute's pause, Nia and Tom said they did not.

'I enjoy Nye penetrating me because he is my husband and I love him and we give ourselves to each other completely. Homophiles, like Roderick, like to penetrate and be penetrated by the man they love. I have prayed and thought about this a lot. I believe that God makes some men homophiles. He loves them with an infinite love, like He does everyone. Roderick sinned against chastity, but we don't send adulterers and fornicators and other sinners against chastity to prison. I hope sometime in the future the Christian Churches will bless the love and commitment between two men and they may be physically intimate without sin. It is possible that there were homophiles among the disciples of Jesus.' Maire said.

Last edited:
The meeting made the following decisions:
Angharad Griffiths agreed to become president of Dignity, Anne Pritchard secretary and John Davies treasurer. Davies would open an account with Swansea Trustee Savings Bank. The authorised signatories on cheques and paying slips would be the treasurer, president and secretary, although only one signature would be required for any transaction. Everyone at the meeting became members, except for Nia and Tom Price who refused as a matter of conscience. David Pritchard would be responsible for the legal requirements as regards the formation of Dignity.

Aneurin Griffiths would write a report of the meeting for the Cambrian Daily News. Anne would write to the editors of the major national and regional newspapers about Dignity

Angharad would speak about Dignity at the next meeting in March 1873 of Swansea Commonwealth Party and Swansea Commonwealth Women's Fellowship and move a motion to make the repeal of Sections 61 and 62 of the Offences Against the Persons Act 1861 party policy.

Aneurin Griffiths, Maire Griffiths, Megan Griffiths, Esther Jenkins and Caitlin O'Brien agreed to form a group which would discuss ideas for a leaflet to be printed and distributed, which would set out the values and aims of Dignity. It would meet at Angharad's house on the following Sunday afternoon, the 2nd March.

A collection was taken and the sum of twenty-three pounds was raised for Dignity. The meeting then closed.

Last edited:
It was decided at the meeting that the subscription for membership of Dignity would be one shilling a month, or twelve shillings a year for adults. For young people under twenty-one it would be nine pence a month, or nine shillings a year. Members would receive a certificate of membership and a monthly newsletter. It was agreed that the next meeting would take place in two weeks time on Sunday 9 March.

There was a mixed reaction to the report of the meeting by Aneurin Griffiths in the Cambrian Daily News dated 25 February 1873. There was hostility at a the formation of a society for 'sodomites' but also more tolerant attitudes were expressed.

What was in effect the publicity committee of Dignity met on the afternoon of Sunday 2 March 1873. They brainstormed ideas for a leaflet describing the society. They agreed that it must not be wordy, but put the message across in as few words as possible. The heading Dignity would be in block capitals in black, followed by the following text in standard size print:
There are some men who love other men like most men love women. We say this is good because that is how God created them. These men are homophiles, which means lovers of the same sex. If they show their love for each other by being physically intimate in a special way, the law says they must suffer at least ten years penal servitude. We say this is wrong and this law must be repealed. We believe that homophiles are equal in dignity with other men.

Last edited:
The proposed leaflet also had information about subscriptions to Dignity and asked readers who wanted to join to send money to the Secretary c/o a box number at Swansea Post Office. The meeting decided to print five hundred copies of the leaflet and hand them out to passers by in Swansea town centre the following Saturday, and outside the churches they attend the following Sunday.

Then Esther Jenkins read out a story she had written called Two Disciples of Jesus. Here is a brief summary. As Jesus was approaching a town in Gallilee, two men threw themselves at his feet and each said 'Lord, be merciful to me a sinner.' Jesus said to each one 'your sins are forgiven. Come follow me'. And they followed him. That evening they were having a meal with the apostles and other disciples, and Pharisees were there also, who told Jesus that surely he must know who the two men were, for otherwise he would not invite them to dinner. For they were male prostitutes in the town of Sepphoris and they were lovers.

Jesus said that he had come to call sinners and not the righteous to repentance, and told the Pharisees to learn the meaning of mercy. The two men did not sin by loving each other because it was a purely spiritual love.

Last edited:
The two disciples became friends with Mary Magdalene, who was like a sister to them. One was named Cleophas and the other was called Jonas. They were among the seventy disciples which Jesus sent out [see Luke chapter 10], and were the two disciples to whom the risen Christ appeared on the road to Emmaus [see Luke Chapter 24]. They were in the upper room at Pentecost.

The other people at the meeting told Esther Jenkins that they liked her story and suggested she gets it published. She said she hoped there would be a magazine which would publish it.

On Saturday 8 March 1873 Angharad, Helen, Maire, Megan, Esther, John Davies, Hannah Roberts and Anna Pritchard all gave out the leaflets about Dignity in Swansea town centre. These were bilingual in English and Welsh. They received a mixed reaction with some people being hostile and throwing the leaflets on the ground while others took them.

The following morning Maire and her sisters Caitlin and Siobhan handed out the leaflets outside St. David's Priory Catholic Church after Mass. There were few people who denounced the leaflets as disgusting and condoning sodomy, but most people were at least polite. A young man, who Maire had seen at Mass a number of times, approached her and she gave him a leaflet. He took and read it. Then he said, "I am a homophile. I hate myself and I wish I was like other men. I fear that God has rejected me for what I am."

Maire asked him his name. He told her that it was Matthew Kenny.

Last edited:
Maire told Kenny her name and introduced him to Caitlin and Siobhan. She assured him that God loved him and made him a homophile. He said that most Catholics would reject him because of who he was. Maire said if that were so, then they were wrong to do so and sinned against charity. He must not hate himself. Caitlin asked him what his job was. He said he was a violinist in the orchestra of the Star Theatre in Swansea. Siobhan asked him how old he was and if he had a boyfriend. He told her that he twenty-four years, and that he was friendly with a several men, but didn't have a boyfriend. He didn't know if any men who worked at the Star were homophiles.

Kenny asked Maire when her baby was due. She told him sometime in June. After the four young people had talked a little more together, Kenny left them, taking a Dignity leaflet with him. Just before they parted Maire asked him if he would like to come to the meeting the following Sunday afternoon. She would meet him again after Mass next Sunday. He said he would.