Strange Maps

For the map-loving alternate history fans out there, I'd strongly recommend checking out the Strange Maps blog if you haven't already. It features some of the best alternate views of the Earth, strange ways of looking at information, and there's plenty of fodder for alternate maps. Check it out if you get the chance.

http://strangemaps.wordpress.com/

Thande

Donor
Thanks, Amerigo.

I just found this, which is (Clarkson) The coolest map...in the world! :cool:

(Not least because my own attempts to make such a one have been somewhat less successful :rolleyes: )

middle-earth.jpg

Thande

Donor
Wow, methinks the Professor himself would've applauded that map. :eek::cool:

The only bits that don't fit are Spain and the eastern Med...but given that Tolkien came up with his Ice Age idea long before any good maps of the world before the last Ice Age were produced, it's quite remarkable.

Love the blog, thanks for the link. My favourite (though refound Middle Earth is way up there) are the Soviet perspective maps of Europe and East Asia.

Thande

Donor
Love the blog, thanks for the link. My favourite (though refound Middle Earth is way up there) are the Soviet perspective maps of Europe and East Asia.

Those are quite interesting, but I've seen them before.

The DK Atlas of World History includes a lot of maps (including historical maps) drawn from unusual perspectives, including ones about Islamic history in which Europe is this long thin thing peering over the edge of the northwestern horizon...

Thande,
I have that same DK world history atlas, 2005 edition. The maps drawn from unusual perspectives are way kewl, allows you to see relationships between areas that otherwise wouldn't be apparent in the conventional north-up orientation. I always liked to look at my maps and globes from unusual orientations, to better grasp the geographical relationships of various regions. Q

Thanks, Amerigo.

(Not least because my own attempts to make such a one have been somewhat less successful :rolleyes: )

middle-earth.jpg
I saw that map. The Grey Havens are landlocked!

Thanks, Amerigo.

middle-earth.jpg
I just found the Anduin on this map. Does it corespond to ant real rivers?

FIVE POSTS AWAY FROM A THOUSAND! YES!

The Po wouldn't work as an analogue to the Anduin, for there are two major problems, first the Po is way too short in length, and second the orientation is wrong, the Po is east-west, whilst, the Anduin is north-south.

great, another Isreal. Well, it cant be all that ba...

...I live in Fance...

I'm going to kill myself now.