Steampunk fantasy world map

Overall, they look too smooth. Maybe more small lakes and islands, ragged coastlines, etc. Also, AFAIK, if ice ages were a dominant geography-forming event in some area, the main shapes should be elongated along the North-South axis (look at Greeland, Britain and Scandinavia).
Look at his projection - everythings streched out east-west. Taking that into account, there's a lot more north-south elongation that immediately seen.

Some cut and paste from many maps in the blank map thread added some jagedness to Bhartia, the southern continent. It's still a work in progress, as is Borealia.

bhartianew2.png

Someone's been looking at lunar maps... :)

"Opticus" looks like a reasonably accurate multi-ring basin in shape. To have so little deformation, though, it must have hit relatively recently (<100 million years or so), and would probably have created a die-off similar-to-larger in scope to the PT extinction on Earth...

See Sudbury Basin for an example of what plate tectonics does to impacts of similar scale. No Opticus-sized impacts have occurred in the Earth-Moon system for 3.5 billion years, though it's no impossible that an isolated large impact could occur...

Simon ;)

Why would the tropic lines be at 3º when the axial tilt is around 33º? The major circles of latitude are where they are because of the axial tilt of the world. If Earth's axial tilt was 45º, the Tropic of Cancer would be the same as the Arctic Circle, and if the Earth's axial tilt was 0º, then the tropics would lie at the Equator. The smaller the axial tilt, the larger the gaps are between the major circles of latitude. The larger the axial tilt, the smaller area between the two.

And after a little bit more research, I'll admit my mistake on the arctic/antarctic circle. Because of geometry, a sphere can't have more than 90º.
VT45, IS correct in what he says. If your planet is tipped at 33 degrees, then your Arctic and Antarctic circles should be at 57 degrees north and south latitude, respectively.

You mentioned you made this in Photoshop, right? I was just wondering if you drew it all by hand, or if you used the more random method, which is to use the Clouds filter, and adjust it using the Brightness/Contrast filter.

Nope. I drew the original maps by hand, scanned them, and then traced them in Photoshop. And then when it was pointed out that the coasts weren't jagged enough, I just copy and pasted coast lines and islands from real world maps in the blank map thread.

Anyway, here is a combined map of the main continents (large file, beware). I still have some work to do, but I'm quite pleased with it so far.

Highlander

Banned
Nope. I drew the original maps by hand, scanned them, and then traced them in Photoshop. And then when it was pointed out that the coasts weren't jagged enough, I just copy and pasted coast lines and islands from real world maps in the blank map thread.

Anyway, here is a combined map of the main continents (large file, beware). I still have some work to do, but I'm quite pleased with it so far.

I'm still impressed - you've done a good job.

This is coming along really nicely. I like the original outlines of the continents, and with the newly detailed coastlines, they're starting to look really good.

What I would love to see next would be the various sorts of environments besides just mountains, e.g. deserts, plains, forests. Maybe even the continental shelves.

Looking forward to seeing newer drafts.

This is coming along really nicely. I like the original outlines of the continents, and with the newly detailed coastlines, they're starting to look really good.

Thank you - I aim to please.

What I would love to see next would be the various sorts of environments besides just mountains, e.g. deserts, plains, forests. Maybe even the continental shelves.

Looking forward to seeing newer drafts.

I'm going to be working on the enivrons next. Continental shelves? Probably not until I do more research into plate tectonics.

Presenting, in all its glory, the rest of the world! Well, sort of. I just have the two main continents and the rest is ocean. Warning, huge map - over 6000x3000 pixels. I have made final modifications to Bhartia and I will now embark on creating the rest of the world.

Have you thought about the tectonics of that world at all? Because it looks unlikely in any world with plates.

How come?.
Too many fjords for one. Plus Islands don't work like that. The only way I can possibly think of as how this came about was a MASSIVE ice age, but even then I'm not sure. For instance look at a part of our world and see how much smoother the coast is at the same scale.