Steampunk fantasy world map

Well, sort of. This is a portion of an as-yet unnamed steampunk/fantasy, featuring the continent Borealis. Because of the planet's axial tilt, the tropic lie at about 33º north and south. The planet is much larger than Earth, so the arctic/antarctic circles are at about 87º N/S. I'll be expanding it, adding rivers, mountains, cities, and political borders. Feedback is encouraged,

borealismap.jpg

Looks good to me. I particularly like Mare Opticus. I can see the Inland Sea being this world's version of the Med; connecting the Western and Eastern continent, allowing trade from the islands in the Moskito Sea to the areas in the southwest of the map, and so forth. Whoever controls those two sets of straits will become very powerful, if they move well.

If this map represents something larger than Earth then my guess is that the Island Sea is the size of the Atlantic (rather than Mediterranean) and the straight might be a bit too big for one person to control. The upper continent is also much larger than Asia and the Opticus Sea would be like a giant revolving Indonesia.
Very very interesting in dead. I have to say I really like!

Both the positions of the tropics and the (ant)arctic circles, at least as defined on our Earth, depend on axial tilt only. The Sun can be seen directly overhead at some point of the year within the tropics, and the Sun does not set at all at least one night every year within the polar circles.

Other than that, I miss ragged coastlines (such as the fiords of Norway).

Well, sort of. This is a portion of an as-yet unnamed steampunk/fantasy, featuring the continent Borealis. Because of the planet's axial tilt, the tropic lie at about 33º north and south. The planet is much larger than Earth,

If largewr than Earth just what is the surface gravity and mean density?

Looks good to me. I particularly like Mare Opticus. I can see the Inland Sea being this world's version of the Med; connecting the Western and Eastern continent, allowing trade from the islands in the Moskito Sea to the areas in the southwest of the map, and so forth. Whoever controls those two sets of straits will become very powerful, if they move well.

As jycee said, the Inland Sea is much larger than the Mediterranean. Haven't figured out the exact size yet, but however can control the straits will be very powerful indeed.

AWESOME!!!!!!111one:D
Btw r u using Paint.Net or Gimp?

Adobe Photoshop CS4, which I may or may not of acquired through less than legal means.

If this map represents something larger than Earth then my guess is that the Island Sea is the size of the Atlantic (rather than Mediterranean) and the straight might be a bit too big for one person to control. The upper continent is also much larger than Asia and the Opticus Sea would be like a giant revolving Indonesia.
Very very interesting in dead. I have to say I really like!

Thank you.

Both the positions of the tropics and the (ant)arctic circles, at least as defined on our Earth, depend on axial tilt only. The Sun can be seen directly overhead at some point of the year within the tropics, and the Sun does not set at all at least one night every year within the polar circles.

And because of the larger axial tilt, climates are more extreme but there are fewer rain forests, deserts, and the ice caps are smaller. And because the planet orbits a larger star, the years are longer (close to twenty years). So long summers and long winters.

Other than that, I miss ragged coastlines (such as the fiords of Norway).

For now, just pretend that fjords exist along the northern coast.

If largewr than Earth just what is the surface gravity and mean density?

Haven't figured that out quite yet. I'm still playing around with this calculator.

VT45

Banned
Because of the planet's axial tilt, the tropic lie at about 33º north and south. The planet is much larger than Earth, so the arctic/antarctic circles are at about 87º N/S.

Problem with that. Both the tropic lines and the arctic/antarctic circles are dictated by the axial tilt. So, by those measurements, you either have to move your tropic lines to 3° N/S, or move your arctic/antarctic circles to 57°N/S.

Problem with that. Both the tropic lines and the arctic/antarctic circles are dictated by the axial tilt. So, by those measurements, you either have to move your tropic lines to 3° N/S, or move your arctic/antarctic circles to 57°N/S.

Why would the tropic lines be at 3º when the axial tilt is around 33º? The major circles of latitude are where they are because of the axial tilt of the world. If Earth's axial tilt was 45º, the Tropic of Cancer would be the same as the Arctic Circle, and if the Earth's axial tilt was 0º, then the tropics would lie at the Equator. The smaller the axial tilt, the larger the gaps are between the major circles of latitude. The larger the axial tilt, the smaller area between the two.

And after a little bit more research, I'll admit my mistake on the arctic/antarctic circle. Because of geometry, a sphere can't have more than 90º.

VT45

Banned
Why would the tropic lines be at 3º when the axial tilt is around 33º?

I gave you an either/or choice. Beint that the arctic and tropic regions are supposed to be the same number of total degrees N/S. So, if the arctic latitude was more important, move the tropic lines, or vice versa.

I gave you an either/or choice. Beint that the arctic and tropic regions are supposed to be the same number of total degrees N/S. So, if the arctic latitude was more important, move the tropic lines, or vice versa.

Did you even read the rest of the thread?

Anyway, an update. I've added a scale, mountains, and some rivers while making a few minor modifications. Props to this guy for making the mountain brushes I used. I'll begin work on political borders next.

borealisnewmap.jpg

Are you planning on improving the coastlines to make them look more realistic? As I mentioned before, they don't look too great to me, although maybe it's just me.

Another thing - from the scale you added, it seems that the distance between every 10 degrees of latitude is approx. 1000 km. This leads to the length of one meridional circle equalling ~36000 km, which is less than the Earth's circumference of ~40000 km. So you may want to adjust the scale, if this world is going to be larger than our Earth.

Keep up the nice work :)

It looks great, much better than anything I'd be able to conjure up. The bit of land that ends in the southeastern corner which doesn't really have any definition is somewhat disconcerting, though. :)

I'm wondering, at twice Earth's mass but at only about 25% more in diameter is a world like this going to have a plate techtonic system that runs at a higher rate. Mountains won't be as high plus the erosion rates should be higher. Is there a PT simulator out there on the net?

Are you planning on improving the coastlines to make them look more realistic? As I mentioned before, they don't look too great to me, although maybe it's just me.

What would you suggest.

Another thing - from the scale you added, it seems that the distance between every 10 degrees of latitude is approx. 1000 km. This leads to the length of one meridional circle equalling ~36000 km, which is less than the Earth's circumference of ~40000 km. So you may want to adjust the scale, if this world is going to be larger than our Earth.

Keep up the nice work :)

The lines of latitude were thrown in there based off an earlier hand-drawn map of mine. I'm working on that problem right now.

It looks great, much better than anything I'd be able to conjure up. The bit of land that ends in the southeastern corner which doesn't really have any definition is somewhat disconcerting, though. :)

I'll probably throw on some mountains and rivers then.

I'm wondering, at twice Earth's mass but at only about 25% more in diameter is a world like this going to have a plate techtonic system that runs at a higher rate. Mountains won't be as high plus the erosion rates should be higher. Is there a PT simulator out there on the net?

I haven't seen one. I'll do some research to see if I can find any answers.

What would you suggest.

Overall, they look too smooth. Maybe more small lakes and islands, ragged coastlines, etc. Also, AFAIK, if ice ages were a dominant geography-forming event in some area, the main shapes should be elongated along the North-South axis (look at Greeland, Britain and Scandinavia).