State names

Remember that Vermont Republic state flags and map. Me neither.
Well, I need help for the names of these two American states in that universe (they are controlled by the United States
ALTERNATE STATES 1.png

Having the history of these two states would be helpful, I think. Like, uh... when were they annexed, from whom, etc.

I like using OTL names for ATLs in different contexts, just to drive home the oddness of it all. In that vein, the northern one can be Nevada since it includes a large part of OTL Nevada and the southern one can just be simply California, since it's next to Baja California.

Last edited:
If you don't want to use North/South California, Shasta and San Bernadino could work. Mojave is another option for the southern one, but it might be a bit too obvious.

Colorado is a good name for the SoCal state. In fact, a few antebellum-era proposals to split CA in twain used that name for the southern state while retaining California for the Northern remnant.

Names for the NorCal state include: Jefferson, Shasta, Fremont, and Drakesland (if there is a substantial British presence)

If you can’t think of a good name for any alternate state, use the last name of a President in that timeline or the name of a nearby river.

Having the history of these two states would be helpful, I think. Like, uh... when were they annexed, from whom, etc.
The states were annexed in 1843 from the Mexican Empire during the Yucatán revolt
Also I forgot to mention, America is a lot more right wing and aggressive
I don’t know if that will be important in the naming

The states were annexed in 1843 from the Mexican Empire during the Yucatán revolt
Also I forgot to mention, America is a lot more right wing and aggressive
I don’t know if that will be important in the naming
Alright. Obvious ones might be president names - especially expansionist ones? State names such as Jefferson or Jackson. Maybe something uber-patriotic thing like Liberty, or something Anglophonic like Francia or Drakia (Sir Francis Drake), or New Albion (or just Albion?)