Starship Troopers movie=AH

I think that's just Paul Verhoeven using an ass pull. Much as I enjoy the movie for its satirical action camp, I tend to dislike Verhoeven completely misinterpreting the original source material for his own ends.

The similarities to the Nazis are only there because of the message the director/writer was trying to get across.

He didn't misinterpret the source material. That would involve actually LOOKING at the source material. Verhoeven didn't (or at least not for very long). The film was only "Starship Troopers" because of changes after the script was basically done.

As for the OP, I've never seen that claimed, but if he did then Verhoeven is talking out of his ass. His film was awful, much like the book so at least they have that in common.

He didn't misinterpret the source material. That would involve actually LOOKING at the source material. Verhoeven didn't (or at least not for very long). The film was only "Starship Troopers" because of changes after the script was basically done.

As for the OP, I've never seen that claimed, but if he did then Verhoeven is talking out of his ass. His film was awful, much like the book so at least they have that in common.

I liked the book and the movie.

The movie was clearly satire, and the only thing the book and movie really have in common is the title.

Genghis

Banned
The movie was Verhoeven( hoven means shit in czech, so its kinda funny to me) taking giant shit on Henlein work and calling it art imho.

I liked the book and the movie.

The movie was clearly satire, and the only thing the book and movie really have in common is the title.
Claiming something is satire doesn't suddenly stop it from being bad. The work has to be good on its own merits. Starship Troopers is not.

Apparently Verhoeven took one glance inside the book and disliked and then used that dislike to turn his original product into this "satire."

So yeah, he didn't really glance at the book at all.

Sad part is, IIRC, Verhoeven accuses the book of not having things that he himself claims to have put in his movie. Except they were already in the book, like showing women in the military. Hell Rico in the book was Filipino unlike Verhoeven's blonde-haired Argentinian. Course in the SST OVA, Rico was depicted as a blonde-haired white Argentinian so maybe Verhoeven was borrowing from that?

Last edited:
Apparently Verhoeven took one glance inside the book and disliked and then used that dislike to turn his original product into this "satire."
Eh, given Verhoeven's track record I can accept that the film is satire, its just that its satire of sci-fi action films in general, not the Starship Troopers book. Honestly if they had followed the book closer it could easily have been satire of itself. Just make sure to amp up the pointless political tracts of Heinlein and maybe integrate them into the combat or something.

Eh, given Verhoeven's track record I can accept that the film is satire, its just that its satire of sci-fi action films in general, not the Starship Troopers book. Honestly if they had followed the book closer it could easily have been satire of itself. Just make sure to amp up the pointless political tracts of Heinlein and maybe integrate them into the combat or something.
Maybe Verhoeven should've done satire of Stranger in a Strange Land instead.

So yeah, he didn't really glance at the book at all.

Sad part is, IIRC, Verhoeven accuses the book of not having things that he himself claims to have put in his movie. Except they were already in the book, like showing women in the military. Hell Rico in the book was Filipino unlike Verhoeven's blonde-haired Argentinian. Course in the SST OVA, Rico was depicted as a blonde-haired white Argentinian so maybe Verhoeven was borrowing from that?

NITPICK MODE: In the movie Johnny Rico isn't blond.

In the movie when they invade the bug planet, the ground forces seem to have no one in command, they are all running around in circles.
That's the biggest difference between the book and movie. The book was about developing leadership.
In the movie, the higher the rank, the less competent the person.

In the book, a trainee asks: why do we have to do all this hard training. Why not just nuke the enemy? The sergeant could have said we need to have responses, short of that. Instead he said that's political. After you leave the service, you can work on politics.

In the movie, the sergeant pins the soldiers hand, with a knife. " See, now you can't push the button. Go, get to the medic."

Verhoeven's stupidity!

Last edited:
In the book, a trainee asks: why do we have to do all this hard training. Why not just nuke the enemy? The sergeant could have say we need to have responses, short of that. Instead he said that's political. After you leave the service, you can work on politics.

In the movie, the sergeant pins the soldiers hand, with a knife. " See, now you can't push the button. Go, get to the medic."

Verhoeven's stupidity!

I think Verhoeven made a concerted attempt to skewer the military rather than adapt the book.

It's more interesting, I think, to ask about the future (now alternate) history of the novel considering among other things there's a war in the 1980s between the "Chinese Hegemony" and a Russo-Anglo-American alliance and Koenigsberg is German again.

Er...near as I can tell, Verhoeven never said anything like this. The Nazi imagery was pretty much just there for effect. The film does, however, nicely parody shots of things like Triumph of the will, so maybe somebody took that far too literally.

As for the book...ironically, given the first-person view and the constant banging over the head about the ideology, it can be taken as an in-universe propaganda piece. The bugs are transparently stand-ins for communist China (who, of course, are also a big threat mentioned in the backstory), and the characters happily march off to nuke 'em, so fascistic it may or may not be, but jingoistic it definitely it is. I prefer the 'reality' to be closer to Forever War, a much more interesting book, where it's all just a pointless slog across a vast cosmos against an enemy they barely understand. :)
Whatever happened to China ITTL?

They won WWIII then I don't recall hearing anything about them.

Were they part of the Federation?

According to Michael Ironside, the choice for Rico's race in the film was more to do with Verhoeven riffing on the 'perfect blonde heroes' of old military propaganda.

In the book, a trainee asks: why do we have to do all this hard training. Why not just nuke the enemy? The sergeant could have said we need to have responses, short of that. Instead he said that's political. After you leave the service, you can work on politics.

Verhoeven's stupidity!

'cause, y'know, they were totally trying to do a realistic and straight portrayal of military training, much like Robocop was a dead serious presentation of American law enforcement and corporate politics. I suppose the films are just so very very very subtle with their bent that it's hard to miss. :p

Whatever happened to China ITTL?

They won WWIII then I don't recall hearing anything about them.

Were they part of the Federation?

As befitting the attitudes of the 50s, probably nuked for being evil commies.

According to Michael Ironside, the choice for Rico's race in the film was more to do with Verhoeven riffing on the 'perfect blonde heroes' of old military propaganda.

'cause, y'know, they were totally trying to do a realistic and straight portrayal of military training, much like Robocop was a dead serious presentation of American law enforcement and corporate politics. I suppose the films are just so very very very subtle with their bent that it's hard to miss. :p

Well they did defeat the evil Commies of Russia anyway.

One would think that war would have been important.

Nah, they were orbitally bombarded for being crazed lunatics who wanted all non-Chinese (including their Soviet and Indian "friends") dead by the A4. (Sorry, can't resist referencing AANW)