Star Trek: What if the Enterprise-D or another Galaxy Class ship had been flung to the Delta Qudrant

I've wondered this since Voyagers inception. What if it had been a Galaxy Class starship that was in the Delta Quadrant? Wouldn't it be safe to assume because of the size, crew and power that it would fare way better than Voyager had?

Well, the Kazon wouldn't be messing that much with the Enterprise-D, and they might get started on a generational ship (the Enterprise already had families onboard, so it wouldn't be that much of a change).

Too many variables. We know close to nothing about the practicalities of keeping a starship supplied, but using a navy analogy I'd be inclined to say it's easier to live off the land in something smaller, analogous to a destroyer, than a quasi civilian capital ship.

Too many variables. We know close to nothing about the practicalities of keeping a starship supplied, but using a navy analogy I'd be inclined to say it's easier to live off the land in something smaller, analogous to a destroyer, than a quasi civilian capital ship.

I have to agree. True, the Galaxy-class is already a generational ship, but it would still need to resupply its reserves of dilithium crystals. I will disagree on the supplying of food and medicine, however, on the basis that they already have an arboretum onboard. It wouldn't be much of a stretch to expand it for hydroponics gardening, plus they could always encounter a new fungus, algae, or plant that could have medicinal chemicals they could extract and hence supplement their existing medical supplies.

I might actually have to revise my thinking on this actually... The galaxy class is apparently largely empty... Something about modularity as written by someone who doesn't understand mission modules, but in all seriousness, there is apparently something like 30% of the pressurized volume left for future use (hence the bar), something that would be nothing short of game changing were a ship cut off.

This is exactly the kind of thing that the Galaxy-class starships were designed for. They were made to be deep space exploration ships meant to go for extended periods without resupplying at a starbase. In terms of resources alone any Galaxy would beat out the Intrepid-class Voyager. If it's the Enterprise-D, then well, that's a whole new ball game.

If it were TNG, then they would have found a way back by act 3. If you mean if it were stuck there like Voyager, ditto to what has been said before. They have more resources for a journey, and they have more scientific resources and personnel to find their way back better than Voyager did. At the same time, the series Voyager rather quickly and unfortunately ignored their resources and the depletion of them to become vanilla Star Trek, so it may all round out to be the same.

I started writing a fic about this actually, but got bogged down on the following conflict for the Enterprise-D. Picard just wouldn't make the same choice Janeway did, as everything we know from Picard and the prime directive he'd leave given the chance. Ultimately that's the problem with Voyager, the starting premise is so weak. I had to have the Enterprise-D get heavily damaged to even make the Kazon something they'd even care about.

If there was a different Captain, or NOT the Enterprise, then a Galaxy Class would be well suited. Early seasons of Voyager would be easy as the Galaxy Class had a higher average warp speed, enough systems for long journeys, and is a mobile fortress. The Kazons would be like water against a sea wall

I do believe that Galaxy Clss ships were designed to be self containing, ie able to operate years without needing to head to a starbase.

If it were TNG, then they would have found a way back by act 3. If you mean if it were stuck there like Voyager, ditto to what has been said before. They have more resources for a journey, and they have more scientific resources and personnel to find their way back better than Voyager did. At the same time, the series Voyager rather quickly and unfortunately ignored their resources and the depletion of them to become vanilla Star Trek, so it may all round out to be the same.
Thats true. But Voyager had a higher top Warp Speed than the Galaxy Class Enterprise. But on the other hand, the Enterprise was known to have the most powerful Warp engine in the fleet (at the time).

I started writing a fic about this actually, but got bogged down on the following conflict for the Enterprise-D. Picard just wouldn't make the same choice Janeway did, as everything we know from Picard and the prime directive he'd leave given the chance. Ultimately that's the problem with Voyager, the starting premise is so weak. I had to have the Enterprise-D get heavily damaged to even make the Kazon something they'd even care about.

If there was a different Captain, or NOT the Enterprise, then a Galaxy Class would be well suited. Early seasons of Voyager would be easy as the Galaxy Class had a higher average warp speed, enough systems for long journeys, and is a mobile fortress. The Kazons would be like water against a sea wall
You should continue with that fic, but use a different Galaxy Class ship of course. It would be an interesting read!

You should continue with that fic, but use a different Galaxy Class ship of course. It would be an interesting read!

I'd argue the problem is at least somewhat inherent to the nature of the class. With all the families in tow Galaxy captains seem likely to be fairly conservative and distinctly unlikely to stick their necks out in the way Janeway did.

The Enterprise D would do well,but the Enterprise E? She would own all.
Well, that's not a Galaxy class anymore, is it? I'm also not sure if Sovereign-class ships had the accommodations to carry families of the crew or large numbers of civilians for long periods of time like the Galaxy did. They were designed more as warships and had less than a quarter the number of science labs of the Galaxy Class (although being more advanced, Sovereigns may be the equal of the Galaxy-class ships in that category anyway).

Sovereign Class (Enterprise E) specs and info:http://techspecs.acalltoduty.com/sovereign.html
Galaxy Class (Enterprise D) specs and info: http://techspecs.acalltoduty.com/galaxy.html
Intrepid Class (Voyager) specs and info:http://techspecs.acalltoduty.com/intrepid.html

From long ago I seem to remember something about the Galaxy's being capable of generating a small amount of Anti-Matter on-board in order to sustain deep space missions (though that could have been changed since) so I would agree that a Galaxy class would be more sustainable long term. However in the shows they do seem to have a habit of blowing up very easy.

Well, that's not a Galaxy class anymore, is it? I'm also not sure if Sovereign-class ships had the accommodations to carry families of the crew or large numbers of civilians for long periods of time like the Galaxy did. They were designed more as warships and had less than a quarter the number of science labs of the Galaxy Class (although being more advanced, Sovereigns may be the equal of the Galaxy-class ships in that category anyway).

Sovereign Class (Enterprise E) specs and info:http://techspecs.acalltoduty.com/sovereign.html
Galaxy Class (Enterprise D) specs and info: http://techspecs.acalltoduty.com/galaxy.html
Intrepid Class (Voyager) specs and info:http://techspecs.acalltoduty.com/intrepid.html
I always liked the Dominion War era Galaxy class. Now that is a deadly girl