Sputniks... an Alternate Space Race

Excellent, if a little short - left me wanting more.

The predominately Navy crew dubbed their ship the "Farragut" so Garriott jokingly named his observatory section of the Asgard the "Ultima," though it is unclear what the reference might have been.

Ha!

I guess it was a rather short update. Sorry about that. :) The last one took up more space.

Things are so busy at work, I'm lucky to get anything out these days.

A $100 (no) dollars to anyone who can guess the source of the Artemis pics... :)

A $100 (no) dollars to anyone who can guess the source of the Artemis pics... :)
Looks anime, but Planetes is set too late and there's no shots of moon hardware in Rocket Girls. Space Brothers? I've been meaning to check that out, is it any good?

Yep, Space Brothers.

It's an amazing show through ep 26. Then, like all two-season anime, it really drags. I'm on ep 32. I need to finish it, but my desire has waned. Which is too bad--I go to Japan in 4 weeks, and I'll want to buy spoiler-free merchandise. :)

P.S. I look a LOT like Mutta...

Hrmm.

Do you think I should rewrite this timeline? Perhaps more like a novel with cool scenes and footnotes differentiating this timeline from OTL? The same events would happen, but in a much more accessibly readable fashion?

Hrmm.

Do you think I should rewrite this timeline? Perhaps more like a novel with cool scenes and footnotes differentiating this timeline from OTL? The same events would happen, but in a much more accessibly readable fashion?

It pretty much works as is, imo - though I admit that for some of the more technical updates I have another window open to Wikipedia and Google to track down what some of the things you're talking about are - and I'd hate to see anything which might take you away from further advancing the present edition of the timeline.

It pretty much works as is, imo - though I admit that for some of the more technical updates I have another window open to Wikipedia and Google to track down what some of the things you're talking about are - and I'd hate to see anything which might take you away from further advancing the present edition of the timeline.

:) Well, maybe I'll finish the current timeline as is and then go back and do a 2.0. Something really exciting happens in early 1971, but I haven't had the chance to write it up.

Hello, everyone.

Firstly, thanks to all who read this timeline, commented on it, enjoyed it, helped it get nominated for a Turtledove.

I have been toying around with a Sputniks reboot, now that the dust has settled and I have learned a lot since 2002, when I first ran the game. Many treatises on space history have been written since then, and a lot of good mechanics developed as the game went on.

I would love to collaboratively develop this game with some of AH's best space minds. Not only could we work together on the game (and perhaps run parallel versions), but some of us could even write some of the "color" in-between sessions.

I was thinking of starting in 1955 rather than 1957, so we can have some true uncertainty into how things start. I'm also thinking of quarter turns rather than semi-annums. We can focus more on the individual flights and political events that way.

What does everyone think? If enough folks are interested, we can start a new thread in the gaming section. PM me. Thanks. :)

excellent timeline , the Rescue of the soviets was quite a successful , cooperation between NASA and the soviets, And The New Landing on the Moon was amazing for NASA , with the Rocks collected to be studied .And the discovery of the moonquakes . i hope you can update soon this Amazing Timeline .

Hello, fans!

I know this thread has been quiet for a long time. Truth to tell, the Sputniks game wrapped up in 2011, and while the history went on through 1974, you've seen the most exciting bits (although there is one surprise left that I haven't divulged).

Since then, I've poured most of my fan time into Galactic Journey (link in sig). I have, however, written a couple of stories in the Sputniks universe. I'm very proud of them.

The Sputniks timeline, itself, was nominated for a Turtledove, and I'd like my stories to get a chance at one, too (since I cannot imagine a higher honor than for my fellow alternatehistorians to regard my work so highly).

Would you recommend I append the stories to this timeline or open up a new thread? And what timing would make the most sense?

Thanks for reading, and for being part of the Sputniks experience. :)

Hello, fans!

I know this thread has been quiet for a long time. Truth to tell, the Sputniks game wrapped up in 2011, and while the history went on through 1974, you've seen the most exciting bits (although there is one surprise left that I haven't divulged).

Since then, I've poured most of my fan time into Galactic Journey (link in sig). I have, however, written a couple of stories in the Sputniks universe. I'm very proud of them.

The Sputniks timeline, itself, was nominated for a Turtledove, and I'd like my stories to get a chance at one, too (since I cannot imagine a higher honor than for my fellow alternatehistorians to regard my work so highly).

Would you recommend I append the stories to this timeline or open up a new thread? And what timing would make the most sense?

Thanks for reading, and for being part of the Sputniks experience. :)

I'd think being a part of TTL, it'd be best that the appended here IMHO.

For timing, regular intervals seems to work well for me. Say, weekly-monthly.

Hello, folks!

I am happy to report that my Space Age AH story, "Andy and Tina," is the lead story in Tales from Alternate Earths 2! This anthology is the follow-up to the Sidewise-winning Tales from Alternate Earths, and it's an honor to be in it.

Moreover, the story is a vignette directly from the Sputniks timeline (and there will be more!)

So, thank you for your support at the time of posting, thank you for the Turtledove nomination, and please get yourself a copy of TAE2, out now!

Attachments

• cardback2 copy.jpg
    cardback2 copy.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 157
  • cardfront.jpg
    cardfront.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 188