Sprigs of the White Rose - A Yorkist Timeline

Introduction, 1468-1469
IMG_4241.jpeg

Charles the Bold and Margaret of York upon their marriage

1468- Margaret of York marries Charles the Bold, Duke of Burgundy, and is quickly discovered to be pregnant.

1469- Margaret of York delivers a son, named Philip after the baby’s deceased grandfather, Philip the Good. Elizabeth Woodville and Edward IV welcome Princess Cecily of York.
——————————————————————————————————————
Hello everyone! This is the first chapter of my first timeline! Hope it makes sense, and you enjoy it. I know it is kind of short, but I wanted to explore the POD of Margaret of York having children with Charles the Bold. I have to admit to getting some inspiration for this timeline from a @BlueFlowwer timeline with the same POD. Hopefully it is not to similar, but if it ever is, please feel free to contact me.

Last edited:
Chapter 2, 1470-1474
1470- The Lancastrians take back the English throne, and make Henry VI their King again, though his wife is the true power behind the throne. Edward IV and Richard of Gloucester take sanctuary in Burgundy. Elizabeth Woodville delivers Edward’s son, also named Edward, in Westminster Abbey. Isabella of Castile, claimant to the throne of Castile, gives Ferdinand, Prince of Girona a son, Juan.

1471- Edward IV takes back the English throne, after defeating Edward of Westminster in battle. Edward manages to escape the battle unharmed, and with his mother, takes his newly pregnant wife, Anne Neville, and his father, Henry VI, back to France, and the court of Louis XI.

46E0422B-CAC5-445C-9750-FA80272ED71D.jpeg

Queen Elizabeth Woodville with her infant son, Edward, Prince of Wales

1472- Margaret of York, Anne Neville, and Elizabeth Woodville all give birth to children. Margaret delivers a daughter, named Isabella, for her godmothers Isabella of Portugal and Elizabeth Woodville. Anne Neville has a son, Henry of Lancaster, in a very difficult labor. While a physician advises that the couple not try for another child, Edward ignores Anne and the physician, and Anne is once again pregnant as the year ends. Henry VI awakes from his stupor for two months to celebrate, but this is not permanent. Elizabeth delivers a daughter, named Margaret after her godmother, Margaret of York. Sadly, the baby is dead by the end of the year.

1473- Anne Neville, who is miserable in her marriage to the former Prince of Wales, delivers another child, named Margaret. Anne Neville secretly writes to Margaret of York, begging to return to England. Margaret writes to her brother, and, while King Edward is suspicious, a rescue of Anne and her infant daughter is arranged. The mission is surprisingly successful. Back in England, Edward IV has a second son in Prince Richard, who will be made Duke of York.

1474- Edward IV writes to the Pope, requesting an annulment of Anne Neville and Edward of Lancaster’s marriage. He brings up Anne Neville’s age, and, the Pope considers, but ultimately refuses. He arranges a marriage between his brother, Richard, Duke of Gloucester, and Margaret of Scotland. George, Duke of Clarence, brother to the King, kidnaps baby Margaret and her mother, intending to install himself as king, and betroth his newborn son to his Margaret of Lancaster. He creates a rebellion, and, after being captured, is privately murdered. Some say he was drowned in a butt of Malmsey wine. He is survived by his daughter Margaret, now his heir as his only son soon died, and his wife, who fled with their daughter to warn King Edward, and is thus rewarded handsomely. Isabella of Castile takes the Castilian throne as Isabella I, after the death of her brother, Enrique IV. She imprisons Enrique’s two daughters, Juana (b. 1462), and Maria (b. 1470), in a convent. To cap the year off, Margaret of York delivers Lady Joan of Burgundy.

Last edited:
Perhaps the "her" here is Anne?
A female doctor in 1471 is unheard of. Perhaps the midwife?
I thought maybe they intended to say midwife but accidentally switched to physician. I've done similar things before. But through context, I wouldn't assume it's Anne that the her refers to.

I thought maybe they intended to say midwife but accidentally switched to physician. I've done similar things before. But through context, I wouldn't assume it's Anne that the her refers to.
I didn't think it was Anne but it was only possibility I could think of that doesn't strike as ASB. Lady doctors in 1471 is definitely ASB

!!!Squees!! I love Yorkist timelines , especially ones that have to do with Margaret of York! Look forward to reading more!

I have fixed it so it is more evident as to whom I am referring to.

The Death of Charles the Bold
3E9B49B6-2654-4C6F-B751-4F8E57DB70F3.jpeg

Charles the Bold, Duke of Burgundy

On January 5, 1477, Charles the Bold was killed during the Battle of Nancy, by the forces of the Duke of Lorraine. Upon hearing the news, Charles’ wife, the pregnant Margaret of York, rushes to proclaim her son, Philip, Duke of Burgundy. She also presents her other children, Isabella (aged 6), Joan (aged 2), and Margaret (aged 1).

Margaret herself headed the regency of the new Duke. It has often been said that the stress of ruling, and sadness over the death of her husband, resulting in the loss of the her fifth child, a miscarried son. Margaret, in an attempt to make peace around her, betrothed her son to Mary of York, a girl noted as a healthy, sturdy child, who happened to be her niece by Edward IV. Dowager Duchess Margaret also made peace with the French, betrothing her daughter to Dauphin Charles.

Last edited: