Sports What Ifs.

What if Baylor basketball gets the death penalty in the aftermath of the Patrick Dennehy murder? (Here's more information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baylor_University_basketball_scandal; while the Baylor football sexual assault scandal was awful, this was worse--a coach tried to smear a dead player as being a drug dealer to avoid admitting that he paid Dennehy in violation of NCAA rules)
That combined with all the shit their football team pulled and I don’t see them staying in the Big XII. Someone is probably brought in to replace them, possibly a Boise State.

They may end up being a power in women’s basketball, but forget football, and definitely forget last night’s defeat of Gonzaga in the national championship game.

The football team scandal was after the Patrick Dennehy murder and the fallout from that. Maybe the basketball program getting the death penalty causes the football scandals to go differently, since someone would probably remember what happened to the basketball program...

So, a subtle difference here and there that I had considered:

WI Brady was injured in the 2001 AFC Championship with that hit from Lethon Flowers and Bledsoe was the starter for not only the rest of the AFC Championship, but also Super Bowl XXXVI?

So, a subtle difference here and there that I had considered:

WI Brady was injured in the 2001 AFC Championship with that hit from Lethon Flowers and Bledsoe was the starter for not only the rest of the AFC Championship, but also Super Bowl XXXVI?
I don't think Bledsoe is ever as clutch as Brady to pull off that comeback drive to set up for the last second field goal. So the Rams beat the Patriots.

I don't think Bledsoe is ever as clutch as Brady to pull off that comeback drive to set up for the last second field goal. So the Rams beat the Patriots.

Brady didn't set the world on fire in that Super Bowl. He was 16/27 for 145 yards and one TD pass (86.2 rating). And, the key to the final drive was J.R. Redmond being able to get out of bounds after catching a short pass. If he didn't get out of bounds, that game may have went to OT.

In the world of rugby - WI South Africa align with Europe when rugby union goes professional in 1995 (figuring that TV timezones matter more than the northern/southern hemisphere divide), leaving New Zealand & Australia to form a new professional competition on their own?

What if Howard Schnellenberger stays at Miami?

The best way to do this may be to give him a sense of unfinished business. Say Nebraska makes the 2 point conversion in the Orange Bowl, to avoid debate over the tie.

So, it's Jimmy Johnson maybe goes to the usfl, taking a different road to the NFL. The team does a bit better - give them thE Maryland and UCLA wins, but not quite a national title, but finally wins one with a few little differences in the '87 Fiesta Bowl over Penn State. (Likely, he a Johnson were both good recruiters but he might get that 1-2 extra who wanted to bring South Florida their 1st title.) Then, he either stays for another season or leaves having accomplished what he set out to do.

What then? Could he be pegged by Jerry Jones for the Cowboys' job? Does Jimmy Johnson stay at Miami and win several national titles?

What if Howard Schnellenberger stays at Miami?

The best way to do this may be to give him a sense of unfinished business. Say Nebraska makes the 2 point conversion in the Orange Bowl, to avoid debate over the tie.

So, it's Jimmy Johnson maybe goes to the usfl, taking a different road to the NFL. The team does a bit better - give them thE Maryland and UCLA wins, but not quite a national title, but finally wins one with a few little differences in the '87 Fiesta Bowl over Penn State. (Likely, he a Johnson were both good recruiters but he might get that 1-2 extra who wanted to bring South Florida their 1st title.) Then, he either stays for another season or leaves having accomplished what he set out to do.

What then? Could he be pegged by Jerry Jones for the Cowboys' job? Does Jimmy Johnson stay at Miami and win several national titles?
I don't see Jimmy going to the USFL at that time. He probably stays at Oklahoma St. for two more years. Then, at the end of the 1985 season, the job at Pitt (Johnson used to be an assistant there) opens up after Foge Fazio's firing, and Jimmy Johnson goes there to be the head coach. With Jimmy, I expect them to do better in 1987 and 88 than they did in reality. However, I still see Jerry Jones calling, and he leaves Pitt in 1989 to turn around the once-proud Cowboy franchise.

So, a bit reaching, but what would be the long term consequences if American football split over the forward pass? Like one camp remained against the forward pass while going on the system of downs while the other kept it.

Would the long-term just be a gradual effort of OTL rugby league or a different sport altogether?

So, a bit reaching, but what would be the long term consequences if American football split over the forward pass? Like one camp remained against the forward pass while going on the system of downs while the other kept it.

Would the long-term just be a gradual effort of OTL rugby league or a different sport altogether?
The version that takes on the forward pass becomes the one people know the best while the version without it becomes more of a niche sport played mostly at American colleges.

The version that takes on the forward pass becomes the one people know the best while the version without it becomes more of a niche sport played mostly at American colleges.
So basically American Football answer to Rugby League and Union?

In the world of rugby - WI South Africa align with Europe when rugby union goes professional in 1995 (figuring that TV timezones matter more than the northern/southern hemisphere divide), leaving New Zealand & Australia to form a new professional competition on their own?
I doubt it. Don't know why I doubt it but I really doubt it.

what if Texas Airdogs goes to Montreal and the Expos would become a team in an independent league in partnership with the Major League Baseball.?
I like the idea but the MLB might force them to just join the International League (Triple-A East now... (that still frustrates and upsets me)). I personally like the idea of another Canada team in the IL as they lost the Ottawa Lynx after 2007 OTL. Could actually help springboard more teams into Canada if the team becomes a success.

On another forum, we were talking about the Packers, and how they almost got Moss (and could have traded for Marshawn Lynch and Tony Gonzalez sometime in the early-2010's).

Now, if they traded for Moss, they would have had to give up A-Rod, and that would have been a mistake. However, if they got Beast Mode at the 2010 trade deadline, and if they would have picked up Gonzo a year later (for Jermichael Finley), they probably win more than one Super Bowl.

Personally I'd love to make a timeline where this happens and its based on geography. The reason for this is that in the early 1900's the Cal-Stanford game was actually a rugby game from 1906-1914 and only changed because Cal didn't agree with Stanford's use of freshman on the team and it was so bad of a split that they didn't play for two years. Anyways, during this time, it wasn't only Cal and Stanford, but USC, Nevada, and Santa Clara who played Rugby as well as other teams. Basically rather than switching back to football, you see teams in California Nevada, Oregon, Washington and Idaho play Rugby instead of football. Eventually the west becomes more of a Rugby while football is popular east of the Rockies and in the Southwest in Arizona and New Mexico.

If such a thing happened, I'm guessing college stays the big game as its amateur, though you do see teams of ex college players form in San Francisco, Oakland, LA, Portland, Seattle, Sacramento, Spokane, San Diego and even a team from Vancouver joins the league which eventually becomes the American Rugby Federation. Eventually this league expands to other cities like Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, and even football areas of Denver and Phoenix. Football however does get some crossover out west, but Rugby remains king on the west coast.

My big question is how would you introduce professionalism. This was a huge debate in England and Rugby Union was always an amateur sport in Britain and other counties as far as I know.

Personally I'd love to make a timeline where this happens and its based on geography. The reason for this is that in the early 1900's the Cal-Stanford game was actually a rugby game from 1906-1914 and only changed because Cal didn't agree with Stanford's use of freshman on the team and it was so bad of a split that they didn't play for two years. Anyways, during this time, it wasn't only Cal and Stanford, but USC, Nevada, and Santa Clara who played Rugby as well as other teams. Basically rather than switching back to football, you see teams in California Nevada, Oregon, Washington and Idaho play Rugby instead of football. Eventually the west becomes more of a Rugby while football is popular east of the Rockies and in the Southwest in Arizona and New Mexico.

If such a thing happened, I'm guessing college stays the big game as its amateur, though you do see teams of ex college players form in San Francisco, Oakland, LA, Portland, Seattle, Sacramento, Spokane, San Diego and even a team from Vancouver joins the league which eventually becomes the American Rugby Federation. Eventually this league expands to other cities like Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, and even football areas of Denver and Phoenix. Football however does get some crossover out west, but Rugby remains king on the west coast.

My big question is how would you introduce professionalism. This was a huge debate in England and Rugby Union was always an amateur sport in Britain and other counties as far as I know.
Well, the best case I have heard, especially on here, has been Canada with the CFL taking a slight tilt towards league via taking the "play the ball" rule over the snap back and being early enough to butterfly the forward pass from being introduced. Add the non-forward pass West coast system, and you probably get a NARA system that affects the trajectory of league as well as the rivalry of the East v. West coasts.

WI the San Francisco 49ers take Syracuse wide receiver Art Monk with the 13th pick in the 1980 NFL Draft?

He, Dwight Clark, and Freddie Solomon--yeah, that'll be a good receiving corps for the 49ers, and the 49ers face the Los Angeles Raiders in Super Bowl XVIII and probably do better than the Redskins did OTL. Don't know if the 49ers will win--the Raiders were very good that year, and their defense beat up the Redskins in the Super Bowl...

Would the Squids have been a good name for a Seattle hockey team if they were founded a decade or so before Release the Kraken became a meme?

I like the idea but the MLB might force them to just join the International League (Triple-A East now... (that still frustrates and upsets me)). I personally like the idea of another Canada team in the IL as they lost the Ottawa Lynx after 2007 OTL. Could actually help springboard more teams into Canada if the team becomes a success.
The Ottawa Titans the baseball team is one in the Frontier League which itself is an official Major League Baseball partner league. Numerous baseball teams exist in Canada but so far to this day, Toronto, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Trois-Rivières and Quebec the city have professional baseball league teams. If Montreal has a Triple-A team, I do worry about its attendance. Furthermore, the Buffalo Bisons is the Triple-A team of Toronto and according to information read online, their affiliation goes on for another decade.
So a professional baseball team in Montreal could be just added to the Frontier League which cover the geographical area.
As a “Partner League,” the Frontier League and its teams will meet on a regular basis with MLB representatives to discuss joint marketing and promotional opportunities, as well as collaborate on initiatives to provide organized baseball to communities throughout the United States and Canada.
So the Toronto Blue Jays could also be meeting baseball representatives from Montreal and Ottawa to keep the professional baseball spirit in Eastern Canada alive.

Would the Squids have been a good name for a Seattle hockey team if they were founded a decade or so before Release the Kraken became a meme?
Naming a team after something off the wall that ends up on people’s dinner plates? Even co-opting the name Thunderbirds would be an improvement.

WI the San Francisco 49ers take Syracuse wide receiver Art Monk with the 13th pick in the 1980 NFL Draft?

He, Dwight Clark, and Freddie Solomon--yeah, that'll be a good receiving corps for the 49ers, and the 49ers face the Los Angeles Raiders in Super Bowl XVIII and probably do better than the Redskins did OTL. Don't know if the 49ers will win--the Raiders were very good that year, and their defense beat up the Redskins in the Super Bowl...
That’s one hell of a receiving corps, but it may butterfly Montana to Rice if the 49ers decide they’re set at wideout. I definitely thing the 49ers do better against the Raiders than Washington did, but beating them on a day like that would have been a tall order. My guess is that it becomes a high-scoring game and the 49ers lose by a TD, say, 38-31 or something.

In 2016, Jet GM Mike Maccagnan tried to move up from the 20th overall pick to get Laremy Tunsil. There was a trade discussed with the Giants at ten, but they wanted their second and fourth round picks on top of the 20th selection, and Mike didn't want to give those up.

In typical Jet fashion, they used their second and fourth-round picks on Christian Hackenberg and Juston Burris after using their first-round pick on Darron Lee. Lee was a bust, Hackenberg was terrible, and Juston Burris is a safety in Carolina.

Since this is the Jets, this isn't the worst that it gets. The next year, they decided not to scout Mahomes, and they ignored DeShaun Watson, all because they had Hackenberg (lol).

So, instead of having Tunsil and either Mahomes or Watson, they have nothing. And, if Zach Wilson is a bust, it will magnify these mistakes even more.

In 2016, Jet GM Mike Maccagnan tried to move up from the 20th overall pick to get Laremy Tunsil. There was a trade discussed with the Giants at ten, but they wanted their second and fourth round picks on top of the 20th selection, and Mike didn't want to give those up.

In typical Jet fashion, they used their second and fourth-round picks on Christian Hackenberg and Juston Burris after using their first-round pick on Darron Lee. Lee was a bust, Hackenberg was terrible, and Juston Burris is a safety in Carolina.

Since this is the Jets, this isn't the worst that it gets. The next year, they decided not to scout Mahomes, and they ignored DeShaun Watson, all because they had Hackenberg (lol).

So, instead of having Tunsil and either Mahomes or Watson, they have nothing. And, if Zach Wilson is a bust, it will magnify these mistakes even more.
And meanwhile, their division rival the Dolphins have turned Tunsil into the gift that keeps on giving of picks.