Sports What Ifs.

Adding padding would help to some degree, but not enough to keep it. They would keep looking for something better. As I played on that shit and it wasn't even full contact, that shit still hurt to high hell.
*shrug*

I was just brainstorming on how to make carpet last longer, because too many teams are averse to natural grass.

If it were up to me, every NFL team would be forced to play on natural grass.

On the subject of Brees, I found out something interesting when I was in the Denver Bronco section of Football's Future.

Jack Elway, John's dad, was pushing the team to take Drew Brees with their first-round pick leading up to the 2001 draft. However, he died a week before the draft, and Shanahan drafted CB (and future bust) Willie Middlebrooks instead.

If the Broncos draft Brees, and start him by 2002, they may end up winning another game or two and making the playoffs. Then, in 03, Jake Plummer ends up in Chicago (it came down to them and Denver in OTL) and Rex Grossman ends up with the Packers (I heard that they liked him going into that draft, but the Bears took him in reality).

Man, talk about irony if it was the Chargers defense that wounds Brees in 2005. However, I could see him be a playoff contender and even win more than just the one in '05 AND still be a Bronco (as well as a potential secondary team to like).

Grossman at GB under Favre for his first three or four years gives him time to learn from the Gunslinger and improve his game. Maybe an Alex Smith level of playoff consistency unless that crash and burn was expected. Plummer at Chicago...maybe a winner? Probably a better situation, but I doubt for too long.

For the Saints, with butterflies, there is the potential for either Favre, Aaron Rodgers, Kurt Warner, Vince Young or (outside chance) Tony Romo to take up the mantle of the Who Dat nation. And, still a slightly bigger chance of the team becoming the Los Angeles Saints, but I doubt too too much.

Also, does Guidry make a difference for the Pale Hose in 83, or do they still go down to the Birds?

Probably not; Hoyt won Game 1 as it was, and the Orioles tossed 2 shutouts, winning 11-1 in the other game. The team lived up to their other nickname then - the "Hitless Wonders." But, that pitching staff was very good for the Orioles.

If it were up to me, every NFL team would be forced to play on natural grass.

When the Browns announced their move in '95, I made a list of what I liked in an NFL team when I chose a new team to follow. (Cold weather so a chance to see home games in the snow, rich history, great fan base - so my friend Rick and his family probably would have swayed me to the Packers anyway.). People thought I refused to consider the Steelers (and Bengals, but their history isn't as rich) becasue I didn't want a divisional rival as my team (though many in my area did go tot hem). However, it was actually because they played on Astroturf.

On the subject of Brees, I found out something interesting when I was in the Denver Bronco section of Football's Future.

Jack Elway, John's dad, was pushing the team to take Drew Brees with their first-round pick leading up to the 2001 draft. However, he died a week before the draft, and Shanahan drafted CB (and future bust) Willie Middlebrooks instead.

If the Broncos draft Brees, and start him by 2002, they may end up winning another game or two and making the playoffs. Then, in 03, Jake Plummer ends up in Chicago (it came down to them and Denver in OTL) and Rex Grossman ends up with the Packers (I heard that they liked him going into that draft, but the Bears took him in reality).

Maybe this is the TL where Aaron Rodgers goes to New Orleans or, maybe, the Packers decide that Grossman has been behind Favre long enough, so they release Favre after the 2005 season...and New Orleans picks him up. Talk about a feel-good story...

Maybe this is the TL where Aaron Rodgers goes to New Orleans or, maybe, the Packers decide that Grossman has been behind Favre long enough, so they release Favre after the 2005 season...and New Orleans picks him up. Talk about a feel-good story...
Nah if anything favre stay till 2010 with packers as they would admit defeat how terrible Grossman is.

If anything Saints either give up that second rounder for romo..or take young-leinart....

Nah if anything favre stay till 2010 with packers as they would admit defeat how terrible Grossman is.

With three years on the bench and learning from Favre, either he will have some sort of improvement behind a seasoned veteran or it would be a change too late once they realize. I do think they would move on from Favre if need be and the Gunslinger playing for the team he rooted for as a kid as a send-off to his career, but that is just me.

If anything Saints either give up that second rounder for romo..or take young-leinart....

Romo would have a better support system, probably have similar success Brees had, and some better weapons than with Dem Boyz. Though I wonder, if it would be a similar exit as OTL, would Payton have pushed to pick up Mahomes in 2017 or waited for Lamar in 2018? Or would he seriously pass on CBS for more time under center?

, would Payton have pushed to pick up Mahomes in 2017 or waited for Lamar in 2018? Or would he seriously pass on CBS for more time under center?
OTL give you the answer..he didn't considered either OTL so he never considred it at all, plus no cowboys not otl injuries and yes..i can say romo staying with saints.

With three years on the bench and learning from Favre, either he will have some sort of improvement behind a seasoned veteran or it would be a change too late once they realize. I do think they would move on from Favre if need be and the Gunslinger playing for the team he rooted for as a kid as a send-off to his career, but that is just me.
I think you're underestimating how much grossman suck, he was awful, each month he decreased his passer rating, if anything he will be a white brett hundley if lucky enough

Wouldn't that just make him an early Matt Flynn? Breathe a sigh of relief about Favre unretiring in '08, then conveniently let him go via trade because "he'll be a free agent anyway" and then package the pick(s) and their own to move up if they have to in '09 or '10. (Looks at '09) Ugh, Satafford's going #1 so unless someone different is there who doesn't need a QB, they're not getting him. But, Favre gets them to the playoffs in '09, maybe even the NFC title game, and in 23010...well, Bradford if he can move down, then...

You know, they probably take a flier on a kid out of little Delaware in '08, actually. Yeah, Joe Flacco was good enough to get them to 1-2 with a good supporting cast, and would be even better behind Favre for a couple years. Yeah, that's it.

OTL give you the answer..he didn't considered either OTL so he never considred it at all, plus no cowboys not otl injuries and yes..i can say romo staying with saints.

There was a lot of smoke in 2017 around Payton's interest in Mahomes, enough to compel Andy Reid to trade up.

Speaking of which, what happens if Reid doesn't trade up and Payton does take Mahomes? If Mahomes becomes the starter after one year like he did in KC, where does Brees end up?

There was a lot of smoke in 2017 around Payton's interest in Mahomes, enough to compel Andy Reid to trade up.

Speaking of which, what happens if Reid doesn't trade up and Payton does take Mahomes? If Mahomes becomes the starter after one year like he did in KC, where does Brees end up?
A long way down I-10? (Arizona).

Here's a WI: WI no Music City Miracle by the Titans in the 1999-2000 NFL playoffs? Remember, the Jacksonville Jaguars that year were 14-2 in the regular season...and both of those losses came against the Tennessee Titans, who beat them in the AFC title game that year to go on to the Super Bowl.

The Jaguars reaching a Super Bowl five seasons after they started would be pretty damn impressive, IMO. Now, it's another matter whether they beat The Greatest Show On Turf (aka the St. Louis Rams)...

The Jaguars reaching a Super Bowl five seasons after they started would be pretty damn impressive, IMO. Now, it's another matter whether they beat The Greatest Show On Turf (aka the St. Louis Rams)...
let's say the end up the yard short..would fisher end up fired early?

What if the 49ers took rodgers with the #1 pick? how far would alex smith fall?

Right off the bat, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers could use a new face at QB with the 5th overall pick, being solid enough to go over Griese and McCown. Should Gruden pass, the QB-searching Redskins could consider him needed enough to pass on CB Carlos Rodgers and take him there. Much as it would probably help him in the long term, the idea of Smith being the Green Bay QB would be too unlikely IMHO without some form of a trade and the Chiefs, while potentially getting him sooner, don't look like they're going to choose him over LB Derrick Johnson. If I could find the absolute lowest, realistic or not, there COULD be Smith joining the Minnesota Vikings at #18, but even then that would depend on a host of factors.

Right off the bat, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers could use a new face at QB with the 5th overall pick, being solid enough to go over Griese and McCown. Should Gruden pass, the QB-searching Redskins could consider him needed enough to pass on CB Carlos Rodgers and take him there. Much as it would probably help him in the long term, the idea of Smith being the Green Bay QB would be too unlikely IMHO without some form of a trade and the Chiefs, while potentially getting him sooner, don't look like they're going to choose him over LB Derrick Johnson. If I could find the absolute lowest, realistic or not, there COULD be Smith joining the Minnesota Vikings at #18, but even then that would depend on a host of factors.

According to Walter Football's archives, Cleveland (picking third overall) had Alex Smith rated ahead of Braylon Edwards. So, it looks like Smith would have went to the Factory of Sadness in this world.

As for the next couple picks, I see four through six staying the same (Benson to Chicago, Cadillac to Tampa, Pac Man to Tennessee). At seven, though, the Vikes would have to take Braylon Edwards over Dropamson since he falls in their lap.

Last edited:
According to Walter Football's archives, Cleveland (picking third overall) had Alex Smith rated ahead of Braylon Edwards. So, it looks like Smith would have went to the Factory of Sadness in this world.

If Smith can be given the pieces and get some support, this could put the Browns in the playoffs in 2007, if Crennel plays it right.

If Smith can be given the pieces and get some support, this could put the Browns in the playoffs in 2007, if Crennel plays it right.
That is the year they got Joe Thomas, helping smith a lot too, Yeah that is the do or die and i can see Alex pulling it, would be amazing

If Marcus Dupree (the subject of the 30 for 30 episode The Best That Never Was) stayed all four years in college (either by going to Texas or transferring to So. Miss), and if Keith Byars didn't have a foot injury in 1985, Bo, Marcus, and Byars would have been top-5 picks at least, and maybe the first three.

Since Bo didn't want to play for Tampa, maybe they take Marcus Dupree, leaving Bo for the Falcons. Then, there is a chance that the Oilers (who did take power back Alonzo Highsmith a year later) take Byars at 3.

Since Bo and Dupree are drafted by the Falcons and Bucs, I can see Gerald Riggs and James Wilder being traded (maybe Denver trades for one of them). Then, since Jim Everett isn't drafted by the Oilers, maybe he falls to the Lions at pick 12 (who drafted Chuck Long in OTL). I wonder how he would have done with the Run and Shoot.