Sports What Ifs.

I like the idea. That suggests that in the late '30s onward, Notre Dame would have multiple rivalry games in a season: back then, Navy was one such game; so was Penn (yes, the one that's now an Ivy League fixture). Throw in a Notre Dame / Boston College rivalry and that could get fascinating, especially in the Catholic community (said mostly tongue in cheek).

Seems like a heavy hitter in the form of Boston College could lead to a true eastern conference (BC; Syracuse; Rutgers; Temple; Pitt; Penn State; West Virginia; maybe Virginia Tech, Maryland, Cincinnati).

I wonder if the earlier appearance of an all sports Big East would cause the Metro Conference to get into football and be able to keep schools like GA Tech, Florida State and South Carolina onside?

A thought occured to me when looking at Andrew Luck.

If Luck, be it by some sheer luck or by just foresight, decided against extending his contract with the Colts, where would he be a solid fit in free agency? Who would be the team desperate enough to give him a huge contract for the 2017 season?

NOTE: He did have a four-year $22.1M contract he signed in July 2012 when drafted and, unless my math is off, would be looking at leaving the Colts had he not made an extension in June 2016

A thought occured to me when looking at Andrew Luck.

If Luck, be it by some sheer luck or by just foresight, decided against extending his contract with the Colts, where would he be a solid fit in free agency? Who would be the team desperate enough to give him a huge contract for the 2017 season?

NOTE: He did have a four-year $22.1M contract he signed in July 2012 when drafted and, unless my math is off, would be looking at leaving the Colts had he not made an extension in June 2016
Jets, Dolphins, the question is who wasn't offer him? but we need to organize pretenders(i would say cardinals but we would kill luck too)

Jets, Dolphins, the question is who wasn't offer him? but we need to organize pretenders(i would say cardinals but we would kill luck too)

I mean, off the top of my head, the teams I can think of are as follows:

• Jets
  • Vikings (Teddy's injury in training camp)
  • 49ers (notably after Kaepernick's release if OTL occurs)
  • Dolphins
  • Broncos (Peyton retired)
  • Bills
  • Browns
  • Ravens (at this time, pre-Lamar)
  • Texans (at this time, pre-Watson)
  • Chiefs (at this time, pre-Mahomes)
  • Bears (at this time, pre-Trubisky)

Broncos (Peyton retired)
Would be hilarous and sad-bad for colts, other franchise qb to colts.

• Vikings (Teddy's injury in training camp)
A winner

• Ravens (at this time, pre-Lamar)
Flacco

Texans (at this time, pre-Watson)
We've a winner and he is far better osweiler, could be the spoiler need to beat pats and play the SB in their own home.

• Chiefs (at this time, pre-Mahomes)
Smith have been serviceable

ears (at this time, pre-Trubisky)
we've another winner

Would be hilarous and sad-bad for colts, other franchise qb to colts.

If Luck goes to Broncos, that would have been sweet. The Broncos probably repeat in 2016 since they still had a great defense. Don't know what happens after, though, since Kubiak still retires, and Elway hired that incompetent clown Joseph (along with Wade Phillips going to LA).

Texans (at this time, pre-Watson)

Houston Texans: 2016 World Champs.

If Luck goes to Broncos, that would have been sweet. The Broncos probably repeat in 2016 since they still had a great defense. Don't know what happens after, though, since Kubiak still retires, and Elway hired that incompetent clown Joseph (along with Wade Phillips going to LA).
As long they keep the OL even if a sacrifice have to be done...Luck will be fine, even with elway, broncos always are half competent, they were competitive with Jake Plummer...

Houston Texans: 2016 World Champs.
Yeah, Osweiler was a fucking cancer allowed browns got two draft pick of the texans

As long they keep the OL even if a sacrifice have to be done...Luck will be fine, even with elway, broncos always are half competent, they were competitive with Jake Plummer...

That's the thing: The O-line wasn't great in 17. Elway drafted LT Garret Bolles, who isn't that good. He also signed crappy RT Menelik Watson from the Raiders, and let G Michael Schofield go instead of G Max Garcia (he should have traded for Veldheer a year earlier).

WI the Astros drafted Derek Jeter in 1992 with the #1 pick? One of their scouts (Hal Newhouser, IIRC) resigned because he'd recommended Jeter and the Astros passed on him; he commented that the Astros were passing up a chance to go to the World Series...

Maybe they're less skittish about what Jeter wants as a signing bonus ITTL (they feared IOTL that he'd insist on a signing bonus of $1 million--the Yankees had no such worries, given that they were the richest franchise in baseball)...

That's the thing: The O-line wasn't great in 17. Elway drafted LT Garret Bolles, who isn't that good. He also signed crappy RT Menelik Watson from the Raiders, and let G Michael Schofield go instead of G Max Garcia (he should have traded for Veldheer a year earlier).
OUCH for luck, but again a better year he might avoid the worst hit of otl 16 and other ailments were mistreated by the colts, so that might be a bad year but still better OTL.

A shame the Colts what they do with LUCK. Not even Rosen got it that bad

WI the Astros drafted Derek Jeter in 1992 with the #1 pick? One of their scouts (Hal Newhouser, IIRC) resigned because he'd recommended Jeter and the Astros passed on him; he commented that the Astros were passing up a chance to go to the World Series...

Maybe they're less skittish about what Jeter wants as a signing bonus ITTL...
Jeter might get the offense the boost enought to try to steal the crown to the reds in 96 but in 97 is when they would hit fire, maybe even push to five games vs braves but still lose.
1998 is when everything change, they could hit gold in 98 and goes all in.

Don't know if it's been discussed before, but I seem to recall Cheryl Miller having a tryout with the Clippers in the '80s sometime. She didn't make the team, and she had a serious knee injury in '88 from what Wikipedia says. So...

Let's figure either that she doesn't make it then but doesn't suffer the injury, so the Clippers are desperate and she tries out again and makes it (becasue that team was horrendous enough they'd possibly go all in for the drama of having the first female NBA player) or she doens't have the injury but the Clippers suffer a big spate of injuries in the year she does try out - whichever it was - and she makes it.

She's not necessarily going to be a star; but it won't just be a footnote, either. It could make things very interesting for women if she does make it even as a sub. Perhaps the WNBA is begun 5-7 years early for talents like hers, for instance.

There is also the issue of Donald sterling. I can see him agreeing to do it if he has suffered a severe enough financial loss that he needs to somehow get more revenue through just whatever kind of promotion he can make. Or, he says some really dumb stuff and he's forced to do it to try to avoid being suspended by the league, saying in effect, "Look what a real progressive I am."'

I could, if the latter hasn't happened before, it's quite likely to happen *after* she plays her first game or two, if not before. (Actually, knowing sterling, it might happen after she signs, even if he's signed her in order to avoid a league suspension or something.)

Is there another team that would be desperate enough to sign her?

Seems like Andrew Luck gets the situation he had in Indy, only far worse. Definitely looking at the Browns being If Luck somehow avoided injuries, I definitely see him going for free agency and the Browns having yet another egg on their face.

Now, if the Browns, with new owner Haslam, can build a serious team around him in offensive protection and weapons, then maybe the Browns go to a playoff berth or two. Add Sean McDermott and you have a serious reason for Luck to stay.

As for Indy, they keep Manning (unless he was so dead set on leaving that he goes for Arizona or Tennessee) and maybe, with the right decision making, make one last SB berth and then go looking for a QB. If the odds are in their favor, Indy may just end up getting the guy they wanted four years ago, but for a much better team.

What if Bruce Lee didn't die, continued with his acting & martial arts careers, and was able to educate Brandon and impart his skills to him, and Brandon also doesn't die in 1993 just finishing The Crow, and months later, decides to (for whatever reason) get involved in the UFC.

Kind of a bonkers idea, but I thought of it watching people play that EA UFC game, and seeing Bruce knocking the crap out of TJ Dillashaw.

Alternatively. What if bruce lee didn't die, got in on WSMAC, the gracies (obviously) pounce in on it too, and we get MMA like 20 years early?

Seems like Andrew Luck gets the situation he had in Indy, only far worse. Definitely looking at the Browns being If Luck somehow avoided injuries, I definitely see him going for free agency and the Browns having yet another egg on their face.

Now, if the Browns, with new owner Haslam, can build a serious team around him in offensive protection and weapons, then maybe the Browns go to a playoff berth or two. Add Sean McDermott and you have a serious reason for Luck to stay.

As for Indy, they keep Manning (unless he was so dead set on leaving that he goes for Arizona or Tennessee) and maybe, with the right decision making, make one last SB berth and then go looking for a QB. If the odds are in their favor, Indy may just end up getting the guy they wanted four years ago, but for a much better team.

Cleveland actually had some good talent at the time (Mr. Suspension himself-Josh Gordon, TE Jordan Cameron, Josh Cribbs, Joe Thomas, Alex Mack, Joe Haden, T.J. Ward. D'Qwell Jackson, Jabaal Sheard, Ben Watson). And, this was a team that lost five games by seven points or less (they finished 5-11) with Weeden at QB. With Luck, they probably go 8-8, and pick 16th or 17th. CB, RB, and OL are among their needs, and looking at how the draft went, Desmond Trufant seems to be the logical pick. Then, in Round 2, they miss out on Le'Veon Bell, but DT Johnathan Hankins looks appealing to them (a local boy from Ohio St.), and they put him next to Ahtyba Rubin.

They did have Dion Lewis in camp, but he was lost for the season. If they have this team, and Lewis stays healthy that year (they probably add a vet RB with the draft class being less than adequate at the position), they probably make a run at the playoffs, and I can see them contending over the next few years.

As for Denver, they take Brandon Weeden, who they end up replacing in a few years with Teddy Bridgewater, Derek Carr, or Jimmy G. Tebow still ends up in Gotham, and his career has the same result.

Last edited:
Cleveland actually had some good talent at the time (Mr. Suspension himself-Josh Gordon, TE Jordan Cameron, Josh Cribbs, Joe Thomas, Alex Mack, Joe Haden, T.J. Ward. D'Qwell Jackson, Jabaal Sheard, Ben Watson). And, this was a team that lost five games by seven points or less (they finished 5-11) with Weeden at QB. With Luck, they probably go 8-8, and pick 16th or 17th. CB, RB, and OL are among their needs, and looking at how the draft went, Desmond Trufant seems to be the logical pick. Then, in Round 2, they miss out on Le'Veon Bell, but DT Johnathan Hankins looks appealing to them (a local boy from Ohio St.), and they put him next to Ahtyba Rubin.

They did have Dion Lewis in camp, but he was lost for the season. If they have this team, and Lewis stays healthy that year (they probably add a vet RB with the draft class being less than adequate at the position), they probably make a run at the playoffs, and I can see them contending over the next few years.

As for Denver, without Manning, they take Brandon Weeden, who they end up replacing in a few years with Teddy Bridgewater, Derek Carr, or Jimmy G. Tebow still ends up in Gotham, and his career has the same result.
Yeah in a way losing 2012 draft class for luck is a net positive as avoid richardson and weeden and long term the main issue browns QB was competency and second health, but with thomas they can guard luck very well and focus in OL without the worry of a QB. Is not the best scenario but not the worst one

Indi hit jackpot with the browns, they can draft down and move all what they want to give manning reinforcements.

As for Denver, without Manning, they take Brandon Weeden, who they end up replacing in a few years with Teddy Bridgewater, Derek Carr, or Jimmy G. Tebow still ends up in Gotham, and his career has the same result.
Yeah wonder if Elway got the same pressure, with Carr or Jimmy they could even win it out in 16(sans a QB injury)

What if.....

The Steelers Drafted Dan Marino 1st round in 1983? Most of the team's front office wanted to do this (Art and Dan Rooney included) but Chuck Noll and a few others overruled them and ended up picking John Reinstra instead.

The Tuck Rule was ruled as a fumble and not an incompletion in 2002?

The Browns never moved to Baltimore after the 1995 season and kept Bill Belichick as their coach??

The Steelers Drafted Dan Marino 1st round in 1983? Most of the team's front office wanted to do this (Art and Dan Rooney included) but Chuck Noll and a few others overruled them and ended up picking John Reinstra instead.
We already discussed this...might be enough keep the team competitive and maybe a sneak run in late 80's-early 90's?

The Browns never moved to Baltimore after the 1995 season and kept Bill Belichick as their coach??
I think BB would be gone, issues already where up(and benching kossar for eternal journeyman testaverde did not make him any favours), still depends if modell is or not the owner, with a different one...BB could comeback rather pats.

Raiders run out the clock, beat the pre big ben steelers easily and got shreded out by the rams. Pats keep bledsoe with the message a mistake and he is benched...is benched by october and traded to the cowboys early. Gruden keep his job in Oakland, he and rich have a magic season in 02 and they beat a repeating rams in a instant classic