Sports What Ifs.

Here's one, what if Barry Sanders is drafted by anyone but the Lions?

Well..let's say Aikman Stayed in oklahoma and was drafted earlier....Cowboys...not emmit but maybe the choose favre in 1991?

Packers...Favre with a running game..we're talking dynasty here @packmanwiscy share that wikipedia infobox again please.

Lions...OTL.

Falcons...Will allow them to beat elway or chock harder early?

KC...when they get montana..an upset vs 49ers or cowboys?

full-packer-sanders-infobox-jpg.247155

This is my "Barry Sanders on the Packers" take. The rational is that he's able to play longer since Brett Favre takes a bit off the load, and the Packers are really fucking good as a result. Looking back on it (Geez I made this five years ago) the personal numbers are probably too high but whatever.

full-packer-sanders-infobox-jpg.247155

This is my "Barry Sanders on the Packers" take. The rational is that he's able to play longer since Brett Favre takes a bit off the load, and the Packers are really fucking good as a result. Looking back on it (Geez I made this five years ago) the personal numbers are probably too high but whatever.
Instead the Pack drafted the only player in the top five in the 89 draft who didn't make it to Canton and had major drug and booze issues. Also the thought of Favre and Sanders on the same team is scary as fuck

WI Mickey Mantle plays for the Boston (later Milwaukee) Braves?

Him, Eddie Matthews, and Hank Aaron on the same team would be interesting...

Another WI I had was two PoDs: 1. Barry Sanders decides to stay for his senior season at Oklahoma State and 2. The Cowboys don't draft Steve Walsh in the 1990 supplemental draft, meaning they're still eligible for the #1 pick, which would be...Barry Sanders.

A Cowboys team with Sanders on it would be pretty scary for any NFL team in the 1990s...

Another WI I had was two PoDs: 1. Barry Sanders decides to stay for his senior season at Oklahoma State and 2. The Cowboys don't draft Steve Walsh in the 1990 supplemental draft, meaning they're still eligible for the #1 pick, which would be...Barry Sanders.
Sorry but JJ was all with walsh, you need a no aikman and walsh declaring early to work

Here's one, what if Barry Sanders is drafted by anyone but the Lions?

There is a podcast that some Packer fans had recently (it ended last year). They liked to do Packer "what if" scenarios. Here is the one they did about Mandarich & the 89 draft:

According to these fans, the Packers really weren't looking at Barry Sanders. Since they had the #2 pick, Mandarich was first on their board, and Derrick Thomas was second.

Here's an idea for getting Steve Walsh to declare early in the 1989 NFL draft: have Miami win the Catholics vs. Convicts game. Here's how: Cleveland Gary manages to hold on to the ball after being tackled instead of controversially fumbling it. Miami manages to get a touchdown and ties it at 31-31. They then kick the game-winning field goal.

Miami then goes on to win the NC in 1988, and Steve Walsh decides to declare for the NFL draft after that, avoiding the supplemental draft. Dallas drafts him, of course (Jimmy Johnson favored him, which is no surprise, especially since he was Walsh's coach at U of Miami), assuming they can with the first pick.

So how does Walsh do? And where does Troy Aikman go?

With regards to the Lions, Barry Sanders was high on Wayne Fontes' draft board...

Hold on, I've got an idea with several PoDs: 1. Steve Walsh leads Miami to a win over Notre Dame in the Catholics vs. Convicts game, leading to Miami winning the NC. Walsh declares for the NFL draft on time as a result and is drafted by Dallas.
2. Meanwhile, at Oklahoma State, Barry Sanders decides to go back for his senior season, doing well (and nearly winning the Heisman, but losing it to Andre Ware) and becoming the NFL #1 draft pick, where he gets drafted by...Dallas. Meanwhile, Deion Sanders is drafted by Detroit (Deion was Detroit's pick if Barry Sanders wasn't available, IMO) and Troy Aikman is drafted by Atlanta.
3. Brett Favre avoids his car accident (and subsequent Vicodin addiction) in July of 1990, leading to him having a good senior season at Southern Mississippi.
4. Steve Walsh, meanwhile, does well in 1989-1990, but Jimmy Johnson decides to trade him to Atlanta for Atlanta's first round pick...and uses it to get Brett Favre.

Assuming the Cowboys still keep their players from OTL, talk about a dynasty that'll make everyone in the NFL freak out for the next few years; this run by the Cowboys could rival the 1960s Green Bay Packer dynasty (and they'll be as hated as the Oakland Raiders were in the 1970s, IMO)...

Here's an idea for getting Steve Walsh to declare early in the 1989 NFL draft: have Miami win the Catholics vs. Convicts game. Here's how: Cleveland Gary manages to hold on to the ball after being tackled instead of controversially fumbling it. Miami manages to get a touchdown and ties it at 31-31. They then kick the game-winning field goal.

Miami then goes on to win the NC in 1988, and Steve Walsh decides to declare for the NFL draft after that, avoiding the supplemental draft. Dallas drafts him, of course (Jimmy Johnson favored him, which is no surprise, especially since he was Walsh's coach at U of Miami), assuming they can with the first pick.

So how does Walsh do? And where does Troy Aikman go?

Here's an addition to that: Have him and Washington State QB Timm Rosenbach both declare in time for 1989.

In my opinion, the QB's would have been ranked in this order: Aikman, Rosenbach, and then Walsh. I don't see Dallas taking anyone but Aikman #1 overall.

Then, Rosenbach probably goes to KC with the fourth overall pick (Detroit finds Barry Sanders too good to pass up at 3), and Steve Walsh probably gets drafted early in Round 2 (GB is a possibility. They were disappointed that Dallas got both Aikman and Walsh at the time).

Yeah, Aikman was a good QB, and it'll be very hard for Dallas to pass him up...

Here's a variation: let's assume that Sanders decides to complete his senior year at Oklahoma State, @AltSptHst; where do Rosenbach and Walsh go in 1989 if they both declare on time? (IMO, if Walsh wasn't available for Dallas in the supplemental draft, Dallas would have the #1 pick in 1990, and would likely draft Sanders; a Dallas team with Sanders probably wins as many as five straight SBs...)

Here's a variation: let's assume that Sanders decides to complete his senior year at Oklahoma State, @AltSptHst; where do Rosenbach and Walsh go in 1989 if they both declare on time? (IMO, if Walsh wasn't available for Dallas in the supplemental draft, Dallas would have the #1 pick in 1990, and would likely draft Sanders; a Dallas team with Sanders probably wins as many as five straight SBs...)

If Barry Sanders isn't there, the Lions probably draft Rosenbach. They really didn't have a QB at the time. As for Walsh, I still say that GB early in Round 2 (they don't trade that pick to Cleveland in this world) is a possibility.

So much cowherder fans...

what if matt leinart was a success?
Depends on what you mean by "success". A young Leinart as QB might still not be as good as a veteran Kurt Warner, and they might not have reached the Super Bowl as a result. Even if Leinart ends up being Eli or Philip Rivers level, I don't know if the Cardinals can push past the NFC Championship game. I think Leinart would have to be generational QB talent to get the Cardinals to a Super Bowl

Very easy..he stay at Oklahoma and declare early...where he could end? Bears? Colts? Cards?

Depends on what you mean by "success". A young Leinart as QB might still not be as good as a veteran Kurt Warner, and they might not have reached the Super Bowl as a result. Even if Leinart ends up being Eli or Philip Rivers level, I don't know if the Cardinals can push past the NFC Championship game. I think Leinart would have to be generational QB talent to get the Cardinals to a Super Bowl
He was suppose to be pre injury Carson palmer, i'm asking someone like rodgers was, something is dependanble even if not as good as him, heck Leinart was so acomplished in college to pro would be hard to replicated. Someone QB is not a fucking question till...dunno 2020?