Sports What Ifs.

Young was doomed in Tennessee as Fisher didn't believe in him and refuse to build the team around him. He would never be a plug and play QB, you had to build the team around Young, and Fisher refused.

Give Young the right team he might go far, assuming he doesn't have a major breakdown

And now, the opposite effect of my team:

WI Brees signs with the Dolphins/Cowboys over the Saints AND Vince Young elects to remain in college for a senior year?

Brees with the Cowboys means Romo goes somewhere else, and his trajectory is somewhere between “total disaster who gets injured from a light breeze” and “takes Brady down a peg.” Put Romo on the Giants in 2007 and give him some blocking and it’s not close - either he throws four picks and the Pats roll or he throws four TDs and the Giants embarrass the previously unbeaten Pats. (Or he does both and the game is the most insane SB ever. That might be fun.)

As for Young, having Jeff Fisher didn’t do him any favors, but he’s a poor man’s Michael Vick at best and his needs-to-grow-up-itis is still a problem. One possibility in 2007 is the Buccaneers - Oakland was taking JaMarcus Russell first because Al Davis left his brain at Taco Bell years before. It’s also hard to blame the Lions for Megatron or the Browns for Joe Thomas, so Tampa Bay was next. They could have used a QB, and Young coupled with Jon Gruden was a possibility.

Brees with the Cowboys means Romo goes somewhere else, and his trajectory is somewhere between “total disaster who gets injured from a light breeze” and “takes Brady down a peg.” Put Romo on the Giants in 2007 and give him some blocking and it’s not close - either he throws four picks and the Pats roll or he throws four TDs and the Giants embarrass the previously unbeaten Pats. (Or he does both and the game is the most insane SB ever. That might be fun.)

As for Young, having Jeff Fisher didn’t do him any favors, but he’s a poor man’s Michael Vick at best and his needs-to-grow-up-itis is still a problem. One possibility in 2007 is the Buccaneers - Oakland was taking JaMarcus Russell first because Al Davis left his brain at Taco Bell years before. It’s also hard to blame the Lions for Megatron or the Browns for Joe Thomas, so Tampa Bay was next. They could have used a QB, and Young coupled with Jon Gruden was a possibility.

Romo on the Giants would be interesting. Going 4-4 in the SB would probably put it as one of the most exciting games of football for some time. Brees as a Cowboy would fit a childhood dream, but that would be too nightmarish for this Black and Gold, "'Aints" and all fan. Still leaves the question as to the QB (unless we somehow keep Aaron Brooks for another year), but it does leave the door open for a Southern Miss guy in my book.

Young, with the support system of Gruden, may actually put the Bucs back at a threat to the NFC South, if played right. I don't necessarily believe that Young was a complete disaster, but he did need quite a bit of support (especially in coaching) that he was lacking. Gruden could have been that piece to help Young, if not turn him around completely, keep him from total ruin long enough.

Apologies for the barrage of questions, but another one hit me:

There have been a few mentions of Dolphins QB David Woodley (including a fun one of WI he demanded a trade and ended up with the Saints) and, upon finding some highlights of Dolphins and LSU games, I did find Woodley to be quite an adequate QB, if not the star power of his successor with the rocket arm. And, all that move with Marino could be agreed to have started following XVII and the collapse Woodley had there. Also, as a Saints fan, we could have had the local boy of Shreveport at #206 in 1980 (instead of going for DE Chuck Evans [whom was released two years later], leaving Woodley to the Dolphins at #214).

So, once again bringing this topic up with a different twist, two ideas....

1) WI The Fins managed a comeback to win XVII against the Skins? How would that have played out in the 83 Draft?
2) WI The Saints picked Woodley in 1980, leaving him on the sidelines under Archie Manning for at least the first two years?

Apologies for the barrage of questions, but another one hit me:

There have been a few mentions of Dolphins QB David Woodley (including a fun one of WI he demanded a trade and ended up with the Saints) and, upon finding some highlights of Dolphins and LSU games, I did find Woodley to be quite an adequate QB, if not the star power of his successor with the rocket arm. And, all that move with Marino could be agreed to have started following XVII and the collapse Woodley had there. Also, as a Saints fan, we could have had the local boy of Shreveport at #206 in 1980 (instead of going for DE Chuck Evans [whom was released two years later], leaving Woodley to the Dolphins at #214).

So, once again bringing this topic up with a different twist, two ideas....

1) WI The Fins managed a comeback to win XVII against the Skins? How would that have played out in the 83 Draft?
2) WI The Saints picked Woodley in 1980, leaving him on the sidelines under Archie Manning for at least the first two years?

Woodley was an OK QB, but he was a troubled person who hated to perform in front of fans:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs07/news/story?id=3209245

Maybe winning a SB would have changed that, but there's no guarantee. And, if he goes to NO, there would have been pressure since he would have been playing in his home state.

And, in the 83 draft, the Redskins would have taken Marino if they lost that SB, and the Dolphins would have taken Syracuse DE Mike Charles at 28 (they were ready to take him in the first round until Marino fell to them).

Last edited:
And, if he goes to NO, there would have been pressure since he would have been playing in his home state.

I don't know. I do agree that there would be pressure, being in the home state. But, if he was drafted to the Saints from the start, he enters a team that isn't expected to be good and learns under a quarterback that could handle the pressure and help out Woodley as a support system. Of course, it isn't a failproof system. Woodley would still be expected to be starting for the team once Manning either retires or is released. Also, unless Philips is convinced on building up the Dome Patrol in '81, THEN getting a workhorse RB in Allen for '82 (or some ATL trade to Dallas in '81 for a mix of my suggested offers and OTL), the Saints seem to be stuck in mediocrity for another couple of years. However, you give the man some support and opening to improve (perhaps win a title or two, if not a Cinderella run to a Lombardi) and, perhaps, a good enough reason to turn away from alcohol and focus on some friends/marriage.

BRADY TO SF? yay that would be awesome sauce
As say before SF was a mess at the time, Brady would end like a proto alex smith, decent enough not flashy as is OTL and not his ceiling, seriously, he will have it worse that smith if he can endure enough for a Harbagaugh...The only other thing Brady could reach OTL level? Oakland...he have zero pressure to start with rich gannon, Gruden is good enough to use his strenght and he could take the reigns 2003-2004

As say before SF was a mess at the time, Brady would end like a proto alex smith, decent enough not flashy as is OTL and not his ceiling, seriously, he will have it worse that smith if he can endure enough for a Harbagaugh...The only other thing Brady could reach OTL level? Oakland...he have zero pressure to start with rich gannon, Gruden is good enough to use his strenght and he could take the reigns 2003-2004
well if san fran could find some success with him at the helm they could then build around that .. the front office wasn't inept, it was screwed coming out of the young, montana years. Brady wasn't a slacking QB. I think the org would see that. San Fran wasn't known for being totally blind. then again .. I grew up a niners fan, but im from Detroit and also like the lions... every time I think a lightbulb comes on in the motor city.. it quickly burns out ...

Alas, is what it is historically. Patriots are the successor to the niners who were the successor to the packers and Steelers. Patriots will get too old all around at some point and things will not be the same soon enough .

well if san fran could find some success with him at the helm they could then build around that .. the front office wasn't inept, it was screwed coming out of the young, montana years. Brady wasn't a slacking QB. I think the org would see that. San Fran wasn't known for being totally blind. then again .. I grew up a niners fan, but im from Detroit and also like the lions... every time I think a lightbulb comes on in the motor city.. it quickly burns out ...

Alas, is what it is historically. Patriots are the successor to the niners who were the successor to the packers and Steelers. Patriots will get too old all around at some point and things will not be the same soon enough .
I'm waiting that from OTL pats...might be a long wait

Still just put brady in the pats you cowards.

I'm waiting that from OTL pats...might be a long wait

Still just put brady in the pats you cowards.

Eh, Brady to another team is interesting because it’s such a wild card. For one, it’s pretty well established the Pats would get along - albeit probably less well - without him. Bledsoe probably gets a ring or two, and whoever succeeds him will undoubtedly find success and maybe a ring or two. A lot of that has to do with the rest of the division being complete and utter shit for most of Brady’s OTL tenure, so anyone who can tie their shoes can win that division outside 2008-10 when the Dolphins briefly got their act together and the Jets were good for a couple of years.

As for Brady, it depends a lot on his situation. Few teams can sustain the success the Pats has for that long, so it’s unlikely he has the same success but he probably has some in a good situation. One possibility is that he bounces around for a while, catches on somewhere, and succeeds in the short term a couple of places. Kind of like Kurt Warner, first with that awesome Rams team and then putting together a run in AZ. Actually Brady as Warner 2.0 is kind of interesting and pretty realistic if he doesn’t catch on in NE.

Actually Brady as Warner 2.0 is kind of interesting and pretty realistic if he doesn’t catch on in NE.
Brady is a massive boom or Bust, that is why i mentioned Oakland, as he have all the time of the world and gruden system, other would be redskins...but knowing redskins, Brady would leave kirk cousins Style to be overpaid again by the vikes. Other would be Giants, he over Simms means they beat the ravens

Still for me is cowardy not putting him or the pats.

Just to turn the subject (bc I could obviously reference the earlier posts of a Black and Gold Brady)...

WI TR became the gridiron football coach for Harvard?

Just to turn the subject (bc I could obviously reference the earlier posts of a Black and Gold Brady)...
I think the saint alongside redskins and Oakland would be the only team eh could proper..unless he can break the QB curse of cleveland or cardinals early too.

Ummm interesting, before or after he was president?

I think the saint alongside redskins and Oakland would be the only team eh could proper..unless he can break the QB curse of cleveland or cardinals early too.

Ummm interesting, before or after he was president?

Ageeed. Heck, with the Saints going with Kubiak, I could see them push the DiLiberto Dress Promise sooner than on the paper.

Oh, definitely before. Heck, you could make it roughly after his election loss in NY

Oh, definitely before. Heck, you could make it roughly after his election loss in NY
Depending the butterflies, other thing to add his resume if he become president, or teddy even if never reach white house is still the man who save gridiron?

Here's one, what if Barry Sanders is drafted by anyone but the Lions?
Well..let's say Aikman Stayed in oklahoma and was drafted earlier....Cowboys...not emmit but maybe the choose favre in 1991?

Packers...Favre with a running game..we're talking dynasty here @packmanwiscy share that wikipedia infobox again please.

Lions...OTL.

Falcons...Will allow them to beat elway or choke harder early?

KC...when they get montana..an upset vs 49ers or cowboys?

Last edited: