Sports What Ifs.

For an ASB time travel to 300 BCE TL:

Would trying to explain an offsides-free version of football/soccer to downtimers be relatively easy? How would the game evolve without the offsides rules, particularly in a downtime setting?

By opening up the game, physical conditioning will be even more important, but what would the impacts to a sport and its leagues in infancy to what is bound to result in a much higher-scoring game, particularly in an ATL of extremely varying technology. (Neolithic Era meets Atompunk).

An sport rule are always how happen in real time, make people play and make sure the referees get when,how and why mark the respective fouls, it might take a while but people would catch it as otl, specially in football-soccer as was heavily visual and easy to play, so not much different as teaching referees in otl.

I heard a commentator talk about how Dwight Howard is a great player biut the problem has always been that since he was in Orlando, he's compared with Shaquille O'Neal (probably also because he then went to the Laker) when he's not Shaq's size.

So, let's let the ping-pong balls fall differently in 2004 so Charlotte, an expansion team, gets the first pick.

Now, the Bobcats were pretty awful - Howard being there doesn't help them quite like he did Orlando because, well, Orlando had good management. he got that team to the NBA Finals byp retty much carryignt hem on his back.

Without him, the Cavs probably go to that Finals, though they had a pretty bad team still; LeBron wins one agaisnt the lakers, maybe a 2nd.

Does Howard not even sign his first extension? Are the Bobcats that awful? I don't know how well he'd work with Michael Jordan, if Jordan was part of the ownership at that time - Jordan strikes me at similar to Kobe, and from what I've heard Kobe just didn't get along with Howard.

Howard might seem more like Anothny Davis at a similar stage in his career - I don't know if the lack of a Finals hurts him, though, because right now, not many people recall that Finals he was in with Orlando.

What do you think happens afterward with Howard going to Charlotte right away instead of just this week in a trade?

I heard a commentator talk about how Dwight Howard is a great player biut the problem has always been that since he was in Orlando, he's compared with Shaquille O'Neal (probably also because he then went to the Laker) when he's not Shaq's size.

So, let's let the ping-pong balls fall differently in 2004 so Charlotte, an expansion team, gets the first pick.

Now, the Bobcats were pretty awful - Howard being there doesn't help them quite like he did Orlando because, well, Orlando had good management. he got that team to the NBA Finals byp retty much carryignt hem on his back.

Without him, the Cavs probably go to that Finals, though they had a pretty bad team still; LeBron wins one agaisnt the lakers, maybe a 2nd.

Does Howard not even sign his first extension? Are the Bobcats that awful? I don't know how well he'd work with Michael Jordan, if Jordan was part of the ownership at that time - Jordan strikes me at similar to Kobe, and from what I've heard Kobe just didn't get along with Howard.

Howard might seem more like Anothny Davis at a similar stage in his career - I don't know if the lack of a Finals hurts him, though, because right now, not many people recall that Finals he was in with Orlando.

What do you think happens afterward with Howard going to Charlotte right away instead of just this week in a trade?

I imagine that Howard leaves Charlotte after his first contract. They had some bad draft picks in their early years (Raymond Felton, Adam Morrison, etc...), and they didn't have a good thing going. I am guessing that he was signing four-year contracts, because he also was a FA after the 2012 season. So, if he is a FA after 2008, maybe a place like Cleveland doesn't seem too bad since LeBron is there, and he would have had a good chance at a ring.

With Dwight there for a few years, maybe LeBron doesn't leave after 2010 (unless Howard only signed a two-year deal or something. Then, they may leave together after winning a few titles in Cleveland).

As for the Magic, they would have been a bad team the next few years without Howard. If they don't get someone in the draft like Durant or Curry in the next few years, that franchise would have been speeding towards complete irrelevance.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/t...ker-in-cowboys-packers-trade-for-brett-favre/

As that read the packers almost trade Favre for Romo...opinions guys?

Upon looking that over, this trade was probably going to happen in March, 2005 before Dallas got Bledsoe.

In the immediate aftermath, the Packers no longer take A-Rod in the draft (I think they take CB Marlin Jackson in Round 1 because their defense was bad). The Redskins take Rodgers with the 25th pick, and then the Browns take Jason Campbell in Round 2 (34th overall).

Favre has success in Dallas, making the playoffs his first three years (and four times total). He leads Dallas to the SB in 2006, losing to the Colts. He ends up retiring in 2010.

As for the Packers, Romo takes a little while to get acclimated, but by 2007, Ted Thompson gets him a shiny new toy on the second day of the draft in Randy Moss, and the Packers win SB 42.

Just a question. This thread being more or less about sports what ifs would it be OK if I asked a question, no pun intended, related towards the structure of a game and how it is played; or would something like that be best asked in a separate/new thread?

Just a question. This thread being more or less about sports what ifs would it be OK if I asked a question, no pun intended, related towards the structure of a game and how it is played; or would something like that be best asked in a separate/new thread?

Probably in another thread.

My What if is that if Michael jordan found success as baseball player in 1993.

After some thinking, I decided to re-write this.

If MJ finds success in baseball, the most likely scenario would have been for the 1994-95 work stoppage to continue, and for the owners to use scab players (as they were planning on doing). MJ was going to be one of those replacement players. If he finds success, and stays with the White Sox for good after the work stoppage is over, he probably doesn't resume his NBA career.

As far as the Bulls are concerned, I actually think that they remain competitive for longer without MJ. Remember, they won 55 games in 1993-94 without him. And, if they didn't blow a big lead in Game 1 against the Knicks, or if they didn't get screwed in Game 5, they probably end up in the NBA Finals that year.

After that season, they still end up losing Horace Grant, but if Krause drafts better as the 90's go on (for example, taking guys like Michael Finley and Rashard Lewis), the Bulls probably don't have the severe drop-off they had by 1999.

However, while they may win one more ring, they don't win three in a row in 1996-98. The Magic probably win in 96, Shaq stays, and they take over as the new Eastern Conference power.

UCLA's basketball program in the 60's and 70's was actually pretty corrupt. John Wooden seems like this innocent figure that people should look up to, but in reality, he enabled a guy by the name of Sam Gilbert to pay off his players. Also, JD Morgan, Bruin AD, had a hand in this as well. For example, he used to sic the NCAA on other western programs (like Long Beach State), and he used to sit in the front row and harass the scorer's table (the NCAA had to pass a rule saying that the AD couldn't sit behind the scorer's table).

The NCAA used to look the other way because they wanted the growing western media market, but what if they decided to investigate and suspend the Bruins around 1969 or 70? If they did, they should have taken away their trophies, banned Wooden and Morgan from the NCAA, and did an investigation on Sam Gilbert (and reported him to the authorities. He was pretty shady). Also, while they didn't have the death penalty at that time, I think that the NCAA should have imposed a 15-year ceasing of the UCLA basketball program.

Last edited:
Let's get back to the 1981 NFL draft or, more specifically, the New York Giants' picks: WI, in addition to Lawrence Taylor, they'd drafted Mike Singletary, Howie Long, and/or Dexter Manley?

You talk about making a defense scary; that'd do it, IMO...

Let's get back to the 1981 NFL draft or, more specifically, the New York Giants' picks: WI, in addition to Lawrence Taylor, they'd drafted Mike Singletary, Howie Long, and/or Dexter Manley?

They Might an early Superbowl? maybe two in a row over denver? the rest would be interesting for giants in long term.

I would say taking linebackers in the first two rounds was ASB, but Mike Tomlin did exactly that with his first draft and it worked.

In 1973, a certain Mr. Vitale was in the running for the Rutgers men's hoops job:

However, Coach V may have been too ambitious for their tastes, and then he was offered the HC job at Detroit (which he accepted).

If Vitale would have got the Rutgers job, though, and had success, I wonder if it makes the difference between them turning down or joining the Big East by 1979 (I know that Paterno had some influence, but maybe Vitale could have convinced them to take the invite) if he is still the coach there.

As we learned, the packers almost trade Aaron Rodgers for Randy Moss(and another TE, alongside a 2007 pick and a conditional 2008 one), so the trade happens....your take on the butterflies?

As we learned, the packers almost trade Aaron Rodgers for Randy Moss(and another TE, alongside a 2007 pick and a conditional 2008 one), so the trade happens....your take on the butterflies?

1. GB wins SB 42 over the Colts (Pats go 12-4 instead of 16-0). Favre decides to stay at least two more years, and Moss signs a two-year contract to stay with the Packers.
2. Pats have same 2008 schedule since they still win the AFC East, so Brady's knee still gets Pollardized. However, the Fins don't have Pennington, and the Jets don't have Favre (they try to start Pennington, but he gets hurt for them). So, NE goes 12-4 and wins the East. However, they are the three-seed, and they lose their first game to Baltimore behind a big rushing day for McClain, McGahee, and Rice.
3. A-Rod and Calvin Johnson (let's say that this trade is before the draft) form a good pitch-catch combo, but the Raiders tread water until 2010, when they win their first division title in eight years.