Sports What Ifs.

Following yesterday's events at Augusta, this might be an interesting one to think about...

[Chicago, IL] Sergio Garcia won the USPGA Championship at Medinah Country Club, beating Tiger Woods in a playoff with a birdie at the first playoff hole. The 19-year-old Spaniard came from five shots behind with seven holes to play as Woods imploded down the stretch. Garcia's swashbuckling play, highlighted by his eyes-closed recovery shot from the roots of a tree on the 16th and sprint up the fairway to see the result, was a stark contrast to Woods' struggles over the last few holes, with bogeys at 12, 16 and 17 (*) and a double bogey at the 13th

(*) The potential PoD - Woods missed the green at the par 3 17th and hit a relatively poor chip, but made the 8-footer for par, then made a regulation par at the 18th to win by 1.

So news about Tony http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...e-become-a-cardinal-if-he-followed-the-money/ so tony wanted illionis friends rather money, but for all bird watchers @Colonel Zoidberg @Blue Hurricane @AltSptHst he would be? he would sit behind the innefective mccown and we would get still Larry but again... would Tony take us as far as general warner?

The Cards might have had a few more chances and maybe could have had a stronger showing in 2015. I don't know if they could have pulled it off in 2008 but maybe a different year with no QB questions.

The Cards might have had a few more chances and maybe could have had a stronger showing in 2015. I don't know if they could have pulled it off in 2008 but maybe a different year with no QB questions.
the best of this...we don't draft matt leinhart, meaning we could pursue a RB, another WR(Santonio Holmes is still in the board) or a OL Defensive pick, so we avoid that bullet even if might not get the magic of general warner...08 we might get till eagles, depend, 11, 13,14 and even 15 would be special years. but again not matt leinhart means not wasted pick, loss warner but that is a sacrifice....

the best of this...we don't draft matt leinhart, meaning we could pursue a RB, another WR(Santonio Holmes is still in the board) or a OL Defensive pick, so we avoid that bullet even if might not get the magic of general warner...08 we might get till eagles, depend, 11, 13,14 and even 15 would be special years. but again not matt leinhart means not wasted pick, loss warner but that is a sacrifice....

For '08 I more was thinking about the Cards getting through the NFC playoffs, but with Santonio for Romo to throw to, that team wins it if they make it that far.

Here's another NFL What if that I just thought of that doesn't get enough attention: What if Dan Marino didn't get hurt in Cleveland in 1993?

Here's another NFL What if that I just thought of that doesn't get enough attention: What if Dan Marino didn't get hurt in Cleveland in 1993?
Dolphins without Marino were 9-2 at thanksgiving, with him they might get 13-3 and snatch first see and displace bills to wildcard, kicking broncos or steeler out of it, marino might avoid bills getting their four superbowl but would he beat the cowboys? is possible a close win or loss and regardless give an amazing performance.

Dolphins without Marino were 9-2 at thanksgiving, with him they might get 13-3 and snatch first see and displace bills to wildcard, kicking broncos or steeler out of it, marino might avoid bills getting their four superbowl but would he beat the cowboys? is possible a close win or loss and regardless give an amazing performance.

With Marino, I see them winning the next three games against the Giants, Steelers (a loss that would turn out to be their playoff death knell), and the Bills to go 12-2 and wrap up the AFC East. Then, after a lackluster effort at SD that they mail in (they rest Marino and other starters for the majority of the game), they win at NE in Week 17 to go 13-3 and clinch the home field in the AFC.

As a result, here is the AFC Seeding: 1. Dolphins 2. Oilers 3. Chiefs 4. Bills 5. Raiders 6. Broncos

In the WC Round, the Raiders upset the Bills (the weather would have been 10 degrees warmer the week before in Buffalo), and the Chiefs beat the Broncos.

Then, in the next round, the Dolphins would have hosted the Raiders, and the Oilers still host the Chiefs. That results in a KC-Mia AFC Title (Montana vs. Marino), which Miami wins.

I also think that the Dolphins would have defeated the Cowboys because Aikman wasn't quite himself in that game (from concussions). As a result, Shula retires with another ring and the all-time wins record, and Marino gets the monkey off his back. Also, with little playing time, the Lions don't throw large sums of money at Scott Mitchell, and he remains Marino's backup for another year (at least).

I also think that the Dolphins would have defeated the Cowboys because Aikman wasn't quite himself in that game (from concussions). As a result, Shula retires with another ring and the all-time wins record, and Marino gets the monkey off his back.
And everybody goes home happy, marino got his ring, the bills avoid the 0-4 embarasment at superbowl and nothing of value was lost, quite an happy ending @Colonel Zoidberg isn't it?

What if Doug Flutie started over Rob Johnson and there was no Music City Miracle?

What if Flutie then leads the Bills over the Rams in the Superbowl?

And everybody goes home happy, marino got his ring, the bills avoid the 0-4 embarasment at superbowl and nothing of value was lost, quite an happy ending @Colonel Zoidberg isn't it?

Indeed. 13-3 is optimistic but doable. The Giants and Steelers were close losses, and assuming they beat the Bills they have it made. I think the Dolphins would have beaten the Raiders or Bills, either one, at home in the playoffs, and they always had KC's number, so they get the Cowboys, who were off their game in the first half IOTL and could end up down as much as 21-6. They'll never come back from that, especially against a team that beat them in the snow on Thanksgiving, so Marino gets a ring and Aikman has to wait for two.

The big question is this - if Marino is himself in '94, can the Dolphins repeat?

Indeed. 13-3 is optimistic but doable. The Giants and Steelers were close losses, and assuming they beat the Bills they have it made. I think the Dolphins would have beaten the Raiders or Bills, either one, at home in the playoffs, and they always had KC's number, so they get the Cowboys, who were off their game in the first half IOTL and could end up down as much as 21-6. They'll never come back from that, especially against a team that beat them in the snow on Thanksgiving, so Marino gets a ring and Aikman has to wait for two.

The big question is this - if Marino is himself in '94, can the Dolphins repeat?

Nivek mentioned Don Shula. If he doesn't return in this scenario (which is very possible), I could still see them getting back to the SB, at least. He was declining as a HC, and the AFC was weaker that year.

Who replaces Shula? Well, I know that Jimmy Johnson wouldn't have. He didn't leave Dallas until late March of 1994. And, if Shula didn't announce his retirement until after the SB, they probably wouldn't have been conducting a coaching search during the bye week (I don't know what the rules were then). Maybe they promote OC Gary Stevens to HC for one year after their SB win and see what happens.

Now, here's where the rubber meets the road: The pursuit of Deion Sanders.

Since they won the SB, I wonder if the Dolphins would have been more in play. If they get Prime Time, their odds of repeating are pretty good.

OTL Shula retired after '95 so I will assume he sticks around at least one more year. A healthier Marino, especially if Prime Time is on the team, means the Dolphins almost certainly finish better than the respectable 10-6 they did IOTL; I think 12-4 and tops in the AFC is well within reach. That means the Browns in the divisional round, a win for Miami, and probably the Chargers in the AFC Championship. IOTL they blew it (up 21-6 and choked); this time, at home with momentum, they pull it off. Realistically in order to beat that 49era team, it's going to take a hell of an effort; the 49ers were up 49-10 on the Chargers IOTL before San Diego closed the gap in garbage time. I see the Dolphins with Prime Time limiting San Fran's offense somewhat, but holding them to less than 35 will be downright impossible. I'll say 40, since I can't decide between 38 and 42. And this Dolphins team will be great but probably not great enough to score 41 on that D. I'll call it for the 49ers, 40-31, with the Niners pulling away late after the Dolphins dog them the whole game.

OTL Shula retired after '95 so I will assume he sticks around at least one more year. A healthier Marino, especially if Prime Time is on the team, means the Dolphins almost certainly finish better than the respectable 10-6 they did IOTL; I think 12-4 and tops in the AFC is well within reach. That means the Browns in the divisional round, a win for Miami, and probably the Chargers in the AFC Championship. IOTL they blew it (up 21-6 and choked); this time, at home with momentum, they pull it off. Realistically in order to beat that 49era team, it's going to take a hell of an effort; the 49ers were up 49-10 on the Chargers IOTL before San Diego closed the gap in garbage time. I see the Dolphins with Prime Time limiting San Fran's offense somewhat, but holding them to less than 35 will be downright impossible. I'll say 40, since I can't decide between 38 and 42. And this Dolphins team will be great but probably not great enough to score 41 on that D. I'll call it for the 49ers, 40-31, with the Niners pulling away late after the Dolphins dog them the whole game.

Shula retired after 1995, but only because he didn't want to fire assistants (Wayne Huizenga told him that he had to). Also, there is no guarantee that he retires in 93 with a SB win, but it seems to make sense because he would have hit the double whammy (SB ring and the all-time wins record).

With Deion, though, I think they play SF tougher, if the 49ers even make the SB. I don't know if they get that far without Prime Time. He was the missing piece.

With Deion, though, I think they play SF tougher, if the 49ers even make the SB. I don't know if they get that far without Prime Time. He was the missing piece.

That could mean Dallas again, and the Dolphins probably win a rematch. And Marino gets two and is in GOAT discussion, probably still behind Montana.

That could mean Dallas again, and the Dolphins probably win a rematch. And Marino gets two and is in GOAT discussion, probably still behind Montana.
Would the Cowboys Rebound in 1996 or might steeler take advantage as Brian Schwizer was not as good as JJ, or maybe steelers vs 49ers?, so marino got his two rings..how long will he play? would retire after don shula or would play as otl?

If Dallas loses that Super Bowl, is it possible Jimmy stays?

OTL, he got to walk away a winner (for a little while), but with a loss, do he and Jurrah iron things out? Do the Cowboys (with cap space from the loss of Ken Norton), does Dallas make a play for Prime Time a year sooner?