Sports What Ifs.

"With the second pick of the 2021 NFL Draft, the New York Jets select Justin Fields, quarterback, Ohio State."

There are quite a few interesting 'what if?' scenarios in the 2021 draft, with 5 quarterbacks taken in the first 15 picks, but this one is somewhat topical, with Zack Wilson being relegated to third string for the Jets this week. Fields was seen by several draft analysts as the second-best QB available at the end of the 2020 college season, so seems to be the most obvious alternative for the Jets if they don't have the same fixation on Wilson that seemed to happen OTL.

This would also have significant knock-on effects on later picks - it seems to me that San Francisco would probably take Wilson at 3, and there were several teams that could justifiably take a QB with their first-rounder that didn't OTL (Atlanta at 4, Carolina at 8, Denver at 9) who may have been sufficently interested in Lance (or Wilson, if the 49ers do still pick Lance) to select a QB instead of TE Pitts, CB Horn or CB Surtain. Even if Lance and Jones are still on the board after the first 10 picks, are Chicago interested enough in either of these QBs to trade up, as they did for Fields?

I don't want to even think about Wilson dropping to Denver, and them taking him (although, it wouldn't be as bad because they wouldn't have to be committed to him for the next five years).

I don't want to even think about Wilson dropping to Denver, and them taking him (although, it wouldn't be as bad because they wouldn't have to be committed to him for the next five years).
if they took Zach Wilson at least would be 4-6 and owning their top 5 pick...unless they trade for A-rod and Rusell ends in....GB?

In an earlier post, I talked about how Parcells wanted to go back to the Giants in 1997. I also heard something (this was from Fred Edelstein. Someone posted ESPN's NFL Game Day pre-game from SB 25, and Berman was interviewing him) very interesting: Before Super Bowl 21 (against the Broncos in Jan. 87), Parcells came to a secret agreement with the Falcons to be their HC. The Giants heard about it, and put a stop to it.

However, what if the Falcons and Giants came to an agreement, and Atlanta sent their first and third round picks in the 87 draft to the Giants for Parcells?
Is Bill Belicheck well known enough to take over the Giants as head coach in 1987? I believe he was already defensive coordinator. But I'm not sure.

The availability of a coach who they know would be good is probably one of the keys. That comment or maybe the falcons give away a player also in return.

He would focus on defense in the draft, but would he have total control over the draft? He would probably get them to be too good to get Deion Sanders a couple years later, but Steve Atwater would probably still be sitting around as a great defensive back.

Is Bill Belicheck well known enough to take over the Giants as head coach in 1987? I believe he was already defensive coordinator. But I'm not sure.

The availability of a coach who they know would be good is probably one of the keys. That comment or maybe the falcons give away a player also in return.

He would focus on defense in the draft, but would he have total control over the draft? He would probably get them to be too good to get Deion Sanders a couple years later, but Steve Atwater would probably still be sitting around as a great defensive back.
He was the wunderkid at the time but I don't think the Giants would give him full control,a say but works heavily with a GM

"With the second pick of the 2021 NFL Draft, the New York Jets select Justin Fields, quarterback, Ohio State."

There are quite a few interesting 'what if?' scenarios in the 2021 draft, with 5 quarterbacks taken in the first 15 picks, but this one is somewhat topical, with Zack Wilson being relegated to third string for the Jets this week. Fields was seen by several draft analysts as the second-best QB available at the end of the 2020 college season, so seems to be the most obvious alternative for the Jets if they don't have the same fixation on Wilson that seemed to happen OTL.

This would also have significant knock-on effects on later picks - it seems to me that San Francisco would probably take Wilson at 3, and there were several teams that could justifiably take a QB with their first-rounder that didn't OTL (Atlanta at 4, Carolina at 8, Denver at 9) who may have been sufficently interested in Lance (or Wilson, if the 49ers do still pick Lance) to select a QB instead of TE Pitts, CB Horn or CB Surtain. Even if Lance and Jones are still on the board after the first 10 picks, are Chicago interested enough in either of these QBs to trade up, as they did for Fields?
I'm biased but Niners are not taken Wilson now if the Jets take Lance the Niners would have taken Fields. It was Lance first Fields second for the Niners.

the more likely head coach on the Giants Staff is Ron Erhardt he already had head coaching experience. So the Giants would go from a Defense minded HC to a offensive minded one. With BB staying on as DC.

He was the defensive coordinator by then. He was called the Giants' boy wonder. However, he never got promoted by the Giants to HC because George Young didn't like him.

What if the Marlins actually did accquire Manny Ramirez like rumored in 2009?
The deal was in 2008 not 2009. as reported by mlbtraderumors.com, it was supposed to be:

Marlins get: Manny Ramirez, cash
Red Sox get: Jason Bay, John Grabow
Pirates get: Ryan Tucker, Jeremy Hermida, Mike Stanton (aka Giancarlo)

Pirates would be far better in the 2013-15 time range - that outfield with Marte/Cutch/Stanton would be a killer. But they would return to mediocrity by now.

1994 - A young New Zealand rugby first five-eighth (aka "fly-half") Carlos Spencer misses playing in the Ranfurly Shield game for Horowhenua vs Auckland.. so never comes to the attention of Auckland coach Graham Henry.

Carlos goes on to sign for Wellington instead of Auckland, making Auckland's mid-late 1990s teams weaker & Wellington's teams stronger than OTL.

Last edited:
Baseball fans Today don't really know of the Andrew Freedman who ran the Giants into the ground in the late 1890s. That, he existed without another team in New York with another league.

Suppose that either the Western league gets an early very supportive Rich owner willing to put a team in New York - which would probably make it about 1900 - or the American Association survives because of better decisions and maybe no Players League. ( Pittsburgh and Brooklyn stay, New York retains a team after the original splits for the National League with Tim Keefe, and so on. Maybe in the early 1890s they allow the Saint Louis Brown's owner to jump leagues because he is becoming more of a liability and they really don't like the race track in the outfield and stuff like that.)

How does the threat from another team affect the Giants? The owner can have his friend Boss Croker do all he wants but He can only annoy and not eliminate the Threat, and a team in New York a few years earlier is going to make Andrew Freedman's moves disastrous in the minds of Other owners - some of whom would be Facing the same problem if, for instance, the Beaneaters' good players suddenly bolt for this all For this alternate Red Sox team in 1898.

Could it force owners to try to get the giants away from Freedman? Perhaps brush buys them in 1900 instead, but then they wind up losing out on the players that came from our timeline's Orioles?

It's amazing when I read this how much of a mess the situation was, and yet how much worse it could have been with another league drawing fans away.

In 1965, Utah State had a superstar basketball player by the name of Wayne Estes: https://asipofsports.com/2020/02/26/stories-you-should-know-wayne-estes/

On the night of February 8th, after scoring 48 points against the University of Denver, Estes and a friend stopped at the scene of a car accident. Wayne brushed against a fallen power line, and was killed.

According to the article, the Lakers had planned on taking the 6'6' forward in the first round of the May 1965 college draft. The player they ended up taking: Gail Goodrich.

Here's where it gets interesting: If Estes lives, and if the Lakers end up taking him, they may not have ended up with Gail Goodrich at all. So, when(if) he is a FA in 1976, he might have been on another team besides the Lakers, and they get those three #1 picks from the Jazz (one was the 1979 pick, which turned out to be Magic) instead.

In 1965, Utah State had a superstar basketball player by the name of Wayne Estes: https://asipofsports.com/2020/02/26/stories-you-should-know-wayne-estes/

On the night of February 8th, after scoring 48 points against the University of Denver, Estes and a friend stopped at the scene of a car accident. Wayne brushed against a fallen power line, and was killed.

According to the article, the Lakers had planned on taking the 6'6' forward in the first round of the May 1965 college draft. The player they ended up taking: Gail Goodrich.

Here's where it gets interesting: If Estes lives, and if the Lakers end up taking him, they may not have ended up with Gail Goodrich at all. So, when(if) he is a FA in 1976, he might have been on another team besides the Lakers, and they get those three #1 picks from the Jazz (one was the 1979 pick, which turned out to be Magic) instead.
Such Titanic butterfly

When John T Brush drafted Christy Mathewson from the minors in 1900, it was really just to send him back to the Giants , a team where he had a minority share. The pitcher had won 21 games for Norfolk but done poorly in a brief trial for the Giants.

If another team drafts him instead comsay the Cardinals or Beaneaters which came close to finishing worse than the Reds, would they have done the same thing question had made up with the Giant's owner but don't appear to have been ready to just automatically give him something for nothing, which is what the Reds did, getting Amos Rusie who they had to know couldn't pitch anymore.

Would Matthew sin have stayed and not gone to the giants? Or calm would he have just jumped a year early to the American league? Which I suppose means he could be lured back to the NL in 190,3 maybe for the Giants anyway. (He had signed with the Saint Louis Browns for 19 0 3 but the contract was torn up when the leagues reached a peace deal.)

This "what if" comes on the heels of Denver's fourth HC firing/resigning since their Super Bowl 50 win.

After SB 50, Gary Kubiak (according to Denver sports radio personality Sandy Clough) allegedly thought about retiring, and he encouraged Elway to retire with him. However, Elway encouraged him to come back for one more year, and Elway won out.

However, what if Kubiak, Elway, and DC Wade Phillips all decided to retire with Peyton Manning? Where would the Bronco organization be today? HC Kyle Shanahan?

This "what if" comes on the heels of Denver's fourth HC firing/resigning since their Super Bowl 50 win.

After SB 50, Gary Kubiak (according to Denver sports radio personality Sandy Clough) allegedly thought about retiring, and he encouraged Elway to retire with him. However, Elway encouraged him to come back for one more year, and Elway won out.

However, what if Kubiak, Elway, and DC Wade Phillips all decided to retire with Peyton Manning? Where would the Bronco organization be today? HC Kyle Shanahan?
He could be, as that would have been a very late hire, if was planned earlier, Doug Peterson is a realistic possibility. Doug Marone or Lovie Smith are possible too

He could be, as that would have been a very late hire, if was planned earlier, Doug Peterson is a realistic possibility. Doug Marone or Lovie Smith are possible too

I just remembered: Kyle Shanahan would be hot a year after those guys could have retired. Doug Pederson may be more realistic, but it depends on the GM they bring in (I know that Vance Joseph wouldn't be the man. He came because of Elway).